arky 03-Dec-18
Factory rat 03-Dec-18
arky 03-Dec-18
Cheesehead Mike 03-Dec-18
Stryker 03-Dec-18
Whocares 03-Dec-18
Whocares 03-Dec-18
03-Dec-18
A coworker approached me this morning asking about a good handheld GPS. He's planning some hiking trips out west but also wants something with mapping capability in Canada for fishing trips up there. My handheld is an early 2000's vintage Etrex Legend C and doesn't have mapping and I haven't researched handheld units since buying that one. He said he looked at some mapping ones that charged extra for Canada mapping...I'm out of the loop and wasn't sure how to answer his questions. Is there a unit out there you guys would recommend for him that would meet his needs? Thanks,

03-Dec-18
Gaia or OnX, both on one's phone. They have entirely replaced GPS units, are cheaper, and are significantly more user-friendly.

03-Dec-18
ditto Overland. The handheld gps is dead.

03-Dec-18
I've gone to OnX entirely as well. As Overland stated much more user-friendly.

03-Dec-18
Another onX vote

03-Dec-18
I used on x for the 7 day trial I really liked it. But I was in a area with a good cell signal. What do you do when you don't have a signal?

03-Dec-18
Save the area you want while in cell service and you can use it offline

03-Dec-18
I never thought I would say it but I'm loving OnX and using my GPS less and less...

03-Dec-18
I’m still a handheld fan a mine is the Garmin 64ST. Living in Wyoming and hunting wilderness areas with zero service you don’t have a lot of choices but I do run the onX chip in my gps and love it. The hand held is not dead in the west.

03-Dec-18
Hand held not dead at all. I use ONX and it is great and works fine off line as long as you've saved maps of the areas you want. Very accurate. But I won't part with my Garmin Oregon 450 T either. Used it today. Definitely has its place. I'm in the bush or mountains pretty much year around, not just on a few hunts. Whatever works for you.

03-Dec-18
Friend of mine in Colorado told me this Fall that ONX and GPS have ruined many of his best hunting spots. True dat!!

• Sitka Gear