t-roy 03-Dec-18
Will 03-Dec-18
Franklin 03-Dec-18
longbeard 03-Dec-18
Charlie Rehor 04-Dec-18
APauls 04-Dec-18
Mark Watkins 04-Dec-18
03-Dec-18
I have one location where I am really limited on trees to hang a stand. The one tree I have that works is very bare. I have shot a couple of deer out of this tree but feel very exposed and have had a few look at me and get a little spooky. Are there any good products out there for attaching brush to the stand or tree?

Thank You!

03-Dec-18
This will be the time of year to find discarded artificial Christmas trees . Take them apart and wire the branches above and around your stand in the tree.

Works great with double ladder stands too.

03-Dec-18
Blindedhunting.com sells a product called a crows nest. I use it and works great. Takes some effort but it is worth it.

03-Dec-18
I've been hunting out of ladder tree stands for 30 plus years. I feel deer pay no attention to them. What they do pay attention to and spook at is the hunter movements. When deer I don't want to shoot walk past me at 5-20 ft and pay no attention to me I'm sure the deer aren't spooked at ladder stands.

03-Dec-18
Ground blind?

03-Dec-18
I'm guessing much of it depends on how spooky the deer are where you hunt. I typically put up double ladder stands because I try to get my kids out with me. Some concealment is good when you've got kids that like to squirm a bit. However, I've found that deer don't care much if you hold still, or even if you don't sometimes. This year, I was getting in an unconcealed stand in early November and the seat was covered in fallen leaves. As I was clearing all of the leaves off so I could sit a doe came in to see what I was doing and she stood twenty yards away for five minutes trying to figure out what was going on. I had twenty deer under my stand that morning for thirty minutes and never got noticed. I ended up shooting a buck later that afternoon that came in at an angle that exposed me pretty well. He looked at me three times on his way into my stand and I never got a chance to draw. He stopped at 5 yards and stared at me. Finally got drawn when he turned 180 degrees away from me and walked away, but shot him when he stopped to look back again.

This is Nebraska and I don't think the deer are particularly jumpy. If this were Georgia or Virginia I think it would be different.

03-Dec-18

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I have attached oak branches to several of my more naked stands with screws, zip ties, etc. This tree probably is not similar to the tree you are hunting out of, but I’ve also taken hog wire (woven wire) and staple it in place, then weave the oak branches into the wire. Oak branches seem to work the best for me. They hold their leaves for a long time after I’ve cut them. I usually cut a stockpile of branches to use on my stands in August or September.

The artificial Christmas trees work pretty well also, but the dang squirrels around here seem to like to chew them up.

03-Dec-18
Dang T-roy if I had a tree like that around I'd feel like that was cover a-plenty! But I plike what you've done with the place!

03-Dec-18

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Before pic

03-Dec-18

03-Dec-18
Adam....Sometimes my Tourette’s syndrome acts up and I need all the help I can get ;-)

This spot is out on the end of a point, on a food plot. Sometimes, especially during late season when they are super jumpy, there might be 20-30 or more deer in the plot. They are extremely paranoid during the late season here, and there always seems to be at least one big rotten old doe that forgets to take her medication, and is suspicious of everything.

03-Dec-18
Search the main page (home page) on bowsite... I'm certain Pat did an article this spring or last fall about doing just this. He described how, down to the tools he used and all.

03-Dec-18
The hard part is if it`s a single trunk tree and standing alone adding cover can actually make a larger "blob" in the tree. I prefer a smaller profile than creating bulk.....especially in the late season. During prime time I will even stand up to create that "in line" illusion.

03-Dec-18
Yes this is certainly the time of year when a tree stand hunter can start to feel a little exposed. I do like to look for old “fake” Christmas trees at tag sales and disassemble them. This year I don’t have any of the artificial boughs so I’m looking to trim some Hemlock and White Pine branches this week. I usually either zip tie them or wire then to my stand and every branch around me. I also put a wire skirt around the tree above my head so I can attach more branches above me, making it look even more natural from a deers perspective when looking up

04-Dec-18

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
The deer killin NEST!
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
The deer killin NEST!
Cut oak limbs just before they drop and they will stay on the limbs. Attach the limbs with zip ties to conceal the hunter. We hunt until seasons end in Mid January when the deer are much wiser.

When western hunters post and say we whities guys sit in our butt and shoot deer they never factor the 3 days we prepare for each day we hunt! Best month of season coming up soon! Good luck!

04-Dec-18
Very nice t-roy. I imagine that helps for sure. I'm just often jealous of the hardwoods you guys have down there.

04-Dec-18
t-roy and Charlie have the ticket! Mainly hang the cut limbs behind you.

I hunted in a popple tree last night that we hung oak limbs with leaves intact (cut in August/September) and it was money!

Mark

• Sitka Gear