320 bull 04-Dec-18
GBTG 04-Dec-18
BOWNUT 04-Dec-18
South Farm 05-Dec-18
South Farm 05-Dec-18
Empty Freezer 05-Dec-18
tradhntr 05-Dec-18
03-Dec-18
So anybody have a suggestion for a tent to use in the AZ January hunt. Maybe in the $2-$300 range. Rain can be heavy at times and gets down in the 30's. I would like to use my heater buddy as well. 2 Person. Thanks

03-Dec-18
Hell! It’s Arizona! Go cheap!

Whatever you have will be better than 99.9% of the illegals and drug runners coming up from Mexico!

Have slept on the ground in a bag or rolled up in a blanket many nights in December and January hunting down there - even in the high country! Have had a bit of snow to contend with a few times in the Chiricahuas and up near the rim but that would have to be less than 5% of the time down there over the last 30 years.

About like September in the high country of Colorado.

Enjoy. One of the best deer hunts left in North America!

03-Dec-18
A Buddy heater will cook you in a 2 man tent.

03-Dec-18
Last year we froze are butts off. Heater buddy might be a little much. Keep em comin..

03-Dec-18
A few years back (2011 I think) there were four hunters that died in a tent in Arizona with one of those propane heaters.

If you have 2 people, look for a big cabin type tent with room for gear. I prefer a really big tent to have plenty of room unless backpacking where weight is a premium.

03-Dec-18
Maybe up your budget a bit and look for a used Kifaru tipi with a small woodstove? If you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid.

03-Dec-18
Kodiak canvas 10x14. You wont be sorry.

04-Dec-18
Kodiak Canvas.

04-Dec-18
Love my Kodiak canvas

04-Dec-18
When I went down to the AZ desert I used a Kifaru tipi with wood burning stove. Sometimes it’s pretty warm out down there. Other times it’s pretty chilly and the stove was nice when it was cold

04-Dec-18
When I went down to the AZ desert I used a Kifaru tipi with wood burning stove. Sometimes it’s pretty warm out down there. Other times it’s pretty chilly and the stove was nice when it was cold

04-Dec-18

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Bigger is better if weight isn’t an issue. Especially if you want to heat it. I’ll sell you my Marmot Halo 6 person for $350. Thee halo frame design pulls the walls out nearly vertically for more usable floor space. Comes with footprint too.

04-Dec-18

Without rain fly

04-Dec-18
Browning glacier 4 man is what I use now. Sleeps two on cots plus heat beautifully. I use a buddy heater set on low and vent the roof and sides. We put our tote of hunting clothes at our heads usingbtgem as a night stand and pillow holder. Use the back vestibule for 20 lb propane tank to run the heater and any excess gear. You wake up toasty warm with enough room to make it work. We usually stay two weeks in it. So, it’s not cramped.

04-Dec-18
Empty - will this tent be next to your truck? Backpacked in? That is going to make a big difference in the type of tent recommended.

If next to the truck here in MN, I usually bring my pop-up ice fishing setup - they now have quilted sides/roof that will help to keep the heat in. They also have vents to let out the fumes from heaters. They don't have a floor which might invite AZ critters in to get warm (I am thinking spiders/scorpions/snakes/etc) - but maybe those are not a problem in winter?

04-Dec-18
Thanks for all your ideas guys. It will be a truck camp. I will check out these tents today while at work ??

04-Dec-18
Just picked up a rei kingdome 4 on sale for $285 looks good for 2 guys with cots

04-Dec-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Not bad, but can be smoky
Not bad, but can be smoky
Bivy for backpack hunting - bit better than laying by the fire and keeps any critters out of your sleeping bag
Bivy for backpack hunting - bit better than laying by the fire and keeps any critters out of your sleeping bag
Truck camping is nice! About froze to death in this canyon, though. It was cold!
Truck camping is nice! About froze to death in this canyon, though. It was cold!

04-Dec-18
i have a kodiak flex bow 10x14.

i use a cot, and a Mr. Buddy heater - its a lock. it will run out of the tent on high - toasty warm.

04-Dec-18
I have the 10x10 kodiak and really like it. Have not had it in any heavy rain yet so jury is still out on that. 2 guys and xl cots make it tight but the only thing to do in a tent is sleep anyway. Everything else we do outside under a tarp. We moved our camp last year and we had done in an hr all total without the drive time. Super fast and easy to setup.

04-Dec-18
Listen to everyone telling you Kodiak Canvas 10 x 14 and buddy heater.....you'll thank us later.

04-Dec-18
Get the Kodiak. You have the heater it's all you will ever need.

05-Dec-18

South Farm's embedded Photo
10x14 Kodiak...like hunting out of the Hilton!

05-Dec-18

05-Dec-18
I just purchased my Kodiak 4 Man Deluxe Tent for $469 on Amazon. Thanks for all of your input and "highly intellectual" advice.. See you in AZ

05-Dec-18
The four of us take my 12x20 cabelas alaknak tent with double burner propane heater perfect to turn on in the morning to take the chill off the 12x12 would be perfect for 2 guys.

• Sitka Gear