elkstabber 04-Dec-18
elkstabber 05-Dec-18
jrhurn 05-Dec-18
WapitiBob 05-Dec-18
SteveB 05-Dec-18
drycreek 05-Dec-18
Woods Walker 05-Dec-18
04-Dec-18
Pat's review of the OnX app got me thinking about how we no longer have a need for a separate GPS unit and the mapping/locations app such as OnX, Gaia, Basemap, etc are very competitive. We hunters have benefited from the competition.

Now I see a need for two more things:

1. An app that shows us what is in season based on our location. There is an app called "Fish Rules" that does exactly this for fishing regulations. It would be useful for hunting as well, especially for small game and migratory bird seasons that can be complicated.

2. The Garmin InReach is fantastic. It needs a competitor. I used the BriarTek Cerberus (based in VA) in 2013 but it had too many glitches.

Are there any other technologies that are very close to being useful but aren't quite ready yet?

04-Dec-18
One thing Pennsylvania actually got right was the app that they just released that does just that. Tells you what zone you are in and what is in season for any given date. That will probably be something that will happen state by state first.

04-Dec-18
What I honestly don't like about the phone apps is my phone doesn't have the battery power that a regular GPS would have. Can't recharge out in the backcountry. But I could just carry extra batteries for the GPS.

04-Dec-18
The Garmin InReach (formerly DeLorme) was a direct competitor to Spot and blows it away IMO.

An SOS function and texting capability while offline in one of the phone apps would be amazing and eliminate the need for one of those other devices. Although, I have no idea if that is even possible.

04-Dec-18
12yards, just carry a portable power pack to recharge your phone. I have one that will recharge my phone up to 6 times that I bring in my pack. Weighs about 9 ounces.

04-Dec-18

JohnMC's Link
12yard - I carry this it will recharge my phone 3-4 times. Weighes no more than caring extra batteries , less than also carrying a gps and extra batteries.

04-Dec-18
Ahh! Good to know. I knew those things existed, I just didn't know how many charges you could get with one. Thanks!

04-Dec-18
You can get fairly large ones or smaller, lighter ones that only deliver a charge or two. All up to you on how much weight trade off you want to carry. More charges=heavier obviously.

04-Dec-18
Missouri Conservation has an app that will tell you the seasons, that you use to check game, and will tell you sunset and sunrise for your location

04-Dec-18
I've never had good luck with the battery life with my phone and a portable power pack. The power never seems to last long.

Before I could go days / a week on my handheld GPS and a pair of lithium batteries .

If I could have / make a dream piece of gear would be a phone that took AA batteries. And lasted all week long in the field.

I'd also like an electric car that got 1,000 miles per charge, but I'm not holding my breath .

04-Dec-18

elkstabber's Link
Midwest: no doubt the Spot was a competitor for the Garmin/Delorme InReach but it was never a direct competitor because their units functioned differently. The BriarTek Cerberus is a direct competitor to the InReach. They do the same exact thing but for some reason the Cerberus unit has never sold much. Even Amazon only has two reviews on the Cerberus, while there are 500+ on the InReach. I hope to see more competition because we customers will benefit.

05-Dec-18
It's cool to see that some states have apps that determine the rules based on your location. Apparently VA's app has the rules but isn't interactive based on your location.

05-Dec-18
I second Bake's point. I have and love Missouri's app.

James

05-Dec-18
Planet wide Internet and communications via satellite. It's almost 2019 and this isn't available?

05-Dec-18
I agree that worldwide satellite texting should be simple and affordable. Should not require a separate device from smart phone. They already use GPS so why not?

Also, I use ANKER power banks as well and use a nice compact 20K version and it can keep an iphone going a whole week in most cases.

05-Dec-18
Texas also has an app that mimics the booklet that comes with your hunting license. Pretty handy to refresh your knowledge as our seasons and bag limits are subject to change per county.

05-Dec-18
I want an app for my phone that can FRY the guts of the phone that the telemarketer is calling me on when I press a button!

• Sitka Gear