marktm250 12-Dec-18
scentman 12-Dec-18
jcurri 12-Dec-18
Lone Bugle 12-Dec-18
SmokedTrout 12-Dec-18
longspeak74 12-Dec-18
Mr.C 13-Dec-18
04-Dec-18
About 1 hour ago, I lost one of the best friends I have ever had. His name was Buck. He was my Black Lab. I received the dog as a gift from God. And, I was blessed to own him for a while. He died young. He had an unidentified mass in his stomach that we were to return in 4 days to get further ex rays of. He was running and playing this evening fine. He ate, was let out to go to the bathroom, and I heard him yelp a minute later. I went out, picked him up, and carried him in. Where he died in the arms of my wife and I.

I don't know why I type this for the whole world to see. I guess because I've always sympathized with others that have lost their dogs. Never fully understanding how much better talking about it to friends makes the shock and hurt subside momentarily. Until now. He was my friend. A gift that gave me strength when I literally had none. I got him when I was recovering from cancer treatment. He often aroused me for walks and daily exercise when simply getting out of bed was a chore. He was a gift. A true blessing. Giving exactly when i needed it. My Goodness, how I am already missing this dog.

I just needed to talk about it.

04-Dec-18
Justin, I'd give you a hug if I could. So, so sorry. Words are hard to come up with in these situations, but your pain is felt by many. I feel for you and the family.

04-Dec-18
Thanks for sharing. Had to put down my ornery wiener dog few years ago; tough few days for sure.

04-Dec-18
Sorry Justin, good dogs are a gift. Funny how much about humanity we can learn from a dog. Sorry for your loss

04-Dec-18
So sorry! It’s amazing the healing an animal can give us. God Bless!!!

04-Dec-18
Sorry man...

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear, Justin. Dang dogs are like family.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear about your pup, they definitely become part of the family. The never stay around long enough. Especially the good ones.

04-Dec-18
So sorry. Thanks for sharing.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear that....they never last long enough

04-Dec-18
Dammit Justin that’s tough. I feel for your loss. Had a golden retriever for 12 years who had the exact same issue. An unknown tumor in his stomach which burst one day while running in the yard. Thankful he went fast and the suffering was minimal but man did that hurt. He was definitely my best friend.

04-Dec-18
nothing worse when it happens....sorry to hear about your pup....

04-Dec-18
My heart aches for you. Been there myself.

"If tears could build a stairway, and heartache a lane; I'd walk that path to Heaven and bring you back again"............

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear .

04-Dec-18
Man, that’s rough. Sorry to hear about you losing your best friend. Hard to believe how much a part of your life a dog becomes until he’s gone. I’m sure Buck loved you truly and with all he had and loved being part of your life.

04-Dec-18
Mans best friend. This is Bowsite at its best! Thx for posting.

04-Dec-18
Our sympathies are with you. Losing a dog is like losing a member of the family, heart breaking. Sorry for your loss.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear that, WV. I dread the day I lose my pooch.

04-Dec-18
It’s amazing how attached we can get to a dog and they add to our quality of life for sure and It can be very tough to lose one. It helps that others understand.

04-Dec-18
Man's best friend, sorry about your loss.

04-Dec-18
Hey Justin, really sorry to hear that sir! I lost a dog not long ago, it's a tough one for sure. Keep your chin up sir!

ElkNut/Paul

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear...

04-Dec-18
Justin, remember the good times with him. They arent with us long enough. I just got back from the vet with my old one-eyed yellow lab and we know her days are numbered. She is my once-in-a-life dog. I've been teary ever since, and now reading your post brings it even closer to home.

You gave him a great life and he gave you all the love he had. Thats all you can ask.

04-Dec-18
I have a 12 year old dog. I dread the day when she goes..... Sorry for your loss!!!

04-Dec-18
You truly have my sympathy. Nothing is harder than loosing a beloved member of the family.

04-Dec-18
So sorry Brtoher. Good dogs are hard to come by and even harder to let go. Hunt

04-Dec-18
So sorry for the loss of your bestest friend.

My heart pains for you.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear this. I lost my buddy “Ranger” about a year ago. He was faithfully by my side as I recovered from a serious accident. A gift from God for sure!

Lee

04-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss.

04-Dec-18
So sorry. I lost my black lab, Reagan, November Third. It still hurts real bad. My heart is heavy for you. Prayer sent.

04-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss Justin. Enjoy the memories you had the opportunity to make . There’s a special bond between a man and his dog. Especially when they’ve helped you through hard times.

-Mitch

04-Dec-18
My sympathies, fellow Mountaineer. It’s a difficult loss. My buddy said owning a dog is like watching your child turn into your grandparent in a few years. Wished they lived forever.

04-Dec-18
I know 1st hand how bad that sucks. I had to put down my chocolate lab "ol' man Gabe" in 2009 and still miss him and have a 10 year old black, that's slowing down a lot. People who have never had dogs of their own have a hard time understanding the attachment. I still get a laugh thinking about Gabe stories; damn dog was hilarious and couldn't hunt worth a Sh!t, but he would get beers out of the fridge.

04-Dec-18
It’s not “just a dog”. I lost my Lucy this summer. One of the hardest things ever. Way sorry man.

04-Dec-18
Very sad. So sorry for your loss.

04-Dec-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I know exactly what your going through. I got this Goldendoodle for my wife last month. By 10 weeks he would sit, stay, come and lie down. I have two adult labs that are my shadows when I’m outside. This little guy was sharp. He was vaccinated but got Parvo and we tried everything to save him. Even when he was sick as my wife was holding him and crying he would lift up his head and put his nose on her cheek. I guess as we get older our pets just mean more to us. We’ve been pretty messed up from loosing him. I know it’s a killer what your going through so many things remind you of him. Dogs are just special friends with such short lives. Every time I loose one I swear I’m never going to get another one because of the pain when they go. Then a little pup just melts my heart. I hope things improve for you.

04-Dec-18
Man I'm so sorry, I've been there with my boy that was way to young. Died in my arm in the middle of the road while we were out for a short run. Boy that was hard for me to even type.

04-Dec-18
Very sorry you lost your friend. I too have a best friend and he gets me through a lot. He always knows what I’m thinking and I know what he is thinking.

Any guy who cares about his dog as much as you obviously do is a good person in my book.

Buck was lucky to have you as a friend. I’m sure he knew that too.

04-Dec-18
Wv we lost our best friend Gunner who trained us for 12 years 92 lb lab had both knees replaced plus he was a seizure dog that was 2 years ago and it still hurts. I won’t get into all of his exploits or retrieving but as Will Rogers stated “if dogs don’t go to heaven then I’m not going “so very sorry for your loss Lewis

04-Dec-18
Very sorry for your loss. Writing about it (or talking about it) is therapeutic, no worries.

Dogs are never just pets.

04-Dec-18
I'm really sorry! I know how it feels, I lost my Lab in April and it still chokes me up. I loved that dog.

04-Dec-18
Don’t beat yourself up over the circumstances. It sounds like there is little you could have done. I had a wonderful lab I was privileged to hunt and take care of for over a decade. Even with my medical experience and training, I was still unable to prolong his life when he started to bleed internally. He died on the surgery table at the hands of a vet I never should have taken him to. I know it’s terribly hard, but sometimes it’s best to get another pup, not to start over, but to pass on the happy life you have the last one.

04-Dec-18
I lost the "worst dog ever" in June. He was a bullmastiff and my family loved him like a human. Hurts likes hell but you will get better. We just got another bully and he's just as bad. Love him already! Get another dog my friend.

04-Dec-18
Justin, words can’t express how I feel for you. It’s like loosing a member of the family. I lost my Lab 15 years ago, and am about to go thru it again with my beagle of 14 years. I don’t know how they do it, but dogs have a way of touching a man soul. And for that I’m thankful. And I know you are as well.

04-Dec-18
Sorry about your best friend, he will always be with you.

My last Lab also died in my arms and it took me 4 or 5 years to get another pup, I would not let 5 years go by before getting another one. Keep your eyes open and another one that needs you will fall into your lap but just wait till it's the right one, you will know it.

04-Dec-18
Embry x3. Not many words, just time will help ease the pain.

04-Dec-18
So sorry to hear. Dang that's rough. Remember the good times. I'm glad to know how he helped you through tough times.

04-Dec-18
So sorry for your loss , never is easy losing a pet they become part of the family .

04-Dec-18
Can`t imagine losing a pet in that manner....I feel for you and your family. Heart breaking.

04-Dec-18
Justin, so sorry for your loss. For many of us, a dog is more than just a pet...they are a special member of the family.

All any of can do is make sure their time on earth is filled with love. Sounds like you did just that. As great a friend as he was to you, you were to him. God Bless.

04-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss! I’m sure you gave him a great life while he was here.

04-Dec-18
Sorry Justin - that's a toughie. All the best as you cope.

04-Dec-18
Very sorry to hear this. I have no great advice for coping. Only that the great dogs I’ve had have left me in some way a better man. I hope there’s another best friend in your near future.

04-Dec-18
Justin sorry for your loss. I love my dog dearly as well, he almost never misses a fishing trip and if I could get him in the deerstand I'm sure he would go!

04-Dec-18
I know your pain. Losing a dog never gets easier. Every one is special. The last one we lost was a year and a half ago. I still miss her and think about her every day.

04-Dec-18
So sorry for your loss. Having lost a lab in a similar manner I feel your pain.

04-Dec-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Chase and I both send our condolences. Just go out and purchase another one asap.

04-Dec-18
Losing a pet is tough but a dog seems to be the toughest. I've had dogs that were closer to me than blood relatives. Sorry for your lost. Just be thankful he did not have a long suffering or that you didn't have to put him down. Prayers with you as you grieve.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs truly are mans best friend. I would also suggest getting another one asap. It will take your mind off it. Dont have to forget them, just makes it easier

04-Dec-18
So sorry for your loss. Dogs are a gift from God and at times a Pain in The Ass.. Every time i lose a best friend i last maybe 2 days then get another. 10 - 14 years of true loyalty and love are worth the pain when we lose one. Nothing will make you happier than a puppy.

04-Dec-18
Very sorry for your loss.

04-Dec-18
I went through this a few months ago with my 16.5 year old Siberian Husky. The support from this site was amazing and helped a lot.

04-Dec-18
So sorry to hear it. I always tell friends and family when they lose a dog, that dogs are the most unselfish critters on earth. They only live a short amount of time to give you a chance to own more of them. In short, go find, buy or rescue another one. That's what they would want.

04-Dec-18
That's a tough one Justin...sorry for your loss. Wish you and your family the best. Kevin

04-Dec-18
Tank was my best friend a giant yellow lab, I cried like a baby when I sat down and wrote every memory I could remember of him after we had to let him go. I now read those memories to my kids and still cry, laugh and cuss that son of a bitch....I feel your pain! They work their way into a special place in your heart. Keep your chin up!

04-Dec-18
I am very sorry for your loss, it is amazing how those rascals become such a big part of our families.

04-Dec-18

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
 WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
Thank each and every one of you. Buck was a once in a lifetime dog. Never knew a stranger. Only witnessed him Bark at two humans. Both were Jehoviah Witnesses trying to convince me there Bible was correct. He never did warm up to them.

He was my shadow. But, he dearly loved my wife as well. Every morning when we’d get up, he’s set with her on the porch until she finished her coffee.

This pic was taken a month ago. This was his regimen. When she’d finish, he’d go do doggy things and want back inside within a couple minutes. Greatest dog I have or ever will own.

04-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss.

04-Dec-18
Wow, it's very refreshing to see so many great posts. Losing a beloved dog is so incredibly tough. They are family for sure It took me three years to replace my last yellow lab but our new yellow lab is so awesome that I wish I hadn't waited so long. Life without a dog is just not as fun.

04-Dec-18
Very sorry to hear man. Paul got it right, go find another. You can't replace Buck, but take your time and find another one that you like and get him. I did this last year about this time, it helps to begin training/raising a new pup. Good luck and hang in there.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear about this Justin. I hope it all goes as smoothly as it can.

04-Dec-18
They really do become part of the family, sorry for the loss.:.

04-Dec-18
Dogs are more than dogs ... so to speak ... because they can do some things that humans just can't ... like keep secrets, love unconditionally ... stuff like that.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear that brother. Wish I had words that could help.

04-Dec-18

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Maggie and I offer our sincere condolences to your family.

04-Dec-18
Sorry to hear, man. We just put our golden retriever down the day before Thanksgiving, it was rough on the whole family. I slept on the floor with her the last night when she couldn't stand up any more. She was 14.

It's been two weeks and every morning when my coffee is brewing the thought crosses my mind that I need to feed the dog....

04-Dec-18
So sorry. Had to put my Chocolate Lab to sleep 5 years ago rather than see her suffer further. I will always remember how I felt, I cried and took the loss very hard. I have had my current Lab four 4 years and he is much different than the last but I enjoy every day with him and he helped me heal. I'm sure I will miss him the same way one day. Dogs teach you about unconditional love.

04-Dec-18
Condolences from Colorado.. i have two female Labs.. one four and one 9 months and love them just as much as anyone can.. i lost my prior lab of 12 years in 2013 and it took me almost two years before I bit my second.. but they are all worth every penny.. when your ready get another one..

04-Dec-18
Based on all of the comments that I have read in this thread, you sure don't need to explain to many Bowsiters why you are feeling the way that you do......I lost a chocolate lab 25 years ago....and it took me 15 years (and a wife) to convince me that I wanted to go that route again. Got a Black Lab/Chesapeake mix about 10 years ago from the shelter. Just put him down last Thanksgiving....I'm thinking another 14-15 years and I'll be ready again......my wife is on a different time schedule. You and wife will be on your respective schedules.....but once you have grieved and healed a bit, I am willing to bet that somewhere out there, there is a lucky dog just waiting for a chance to sit by your side, and watch your wife drink her morning coffee......hang in there.....right now, the passage of time is one of the few things that will dull the ache.

05-Dec-18
That is rough and an unexpected kick in the gut. Sorry you and your family are having to deal with this right now. We open ourselves up to pets as the caregiver and pets open themselves up to us by trusting us. A good dog is family. My grandfather lost his wife in his 60s and then lived alone for years until he adopted in a mutt in his late 80s. The mutt bit me during a visit to my grandfather. Mean dog. Grandfather passed at 95. We took the mutt in. What a great dog. Smart, loyal and protective. He had cancer, though, and it got him after a year. I had him cremated and he is buried next to my grandfather who is buried next to his wife. Three headstones.

05-Dec-18
" Greatest dog I have or ever will own."

I had a Black Lab like that. She left us 3 years ago. Many of my friends/relatives told me I would/should get a "new" Molly right away. It's been 3 years and I am not even close to ready to try and replace her. But i will have another Lab before too long. All dogs are special. But those real special ones take a bit longer to get over.

05-Dec-18
The pain of losing a dog is something you can take comfort from. Good dogs will do that to a man.

05-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss, that forever love they generate is like nothing else.

05-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss, Justin. Dogs make us better men.

05-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss...hang in there

05-Dec-18
Kevin,

Thank you for that! It helps.

05-Dec-18
So sorry to hear of this. The pain will ease over time. It’s people like you that should have dogs. You know what it’s all about. They are family.

05-Dec-18
Been there and it's tough. Lost my yellow lab last year and he's missed and in my thoughts as every sun sets. It's a hard proposition when one of us grows old slow and the other too fast. Especially tough when we learn along the way our buddy is special, that rare one of a kind, that we hold in our heart as a sent blessing. I have another tough day lying in wait as I also have a special six year old spoiled rotten chocolate lab. She rules the house and our hearts.

05-Dec-18
They leave us lifetime of memories and are truly our best friends as we age. I have 2 labs, and have been blessed by previous ones as well. The pain of his passing shall also pass, and as some have stated, we have also found that a new pup helps occupy the mind to ease that pain. Sorry for your loss, and know you will be blessed again by another great one. Good family's always have great dogs, as they are treated as one of us...

05-Dec-18
So, So Sorry. No dry eyes here...

05-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss. Can sympathize- lost my Golden in April same way ruptured stomach cancer. Think of Seamus every day. To paraphrase you GodBlessDogs.

05-Dec-18
Heartbreaking! So sorry to hear. I've put down two black labs and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. My deepest sympathies to you!

05-Dec-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Sympathies from my pup and I.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Sympathies from my pup and I.
So terribly sorry to hear of your loss Justin. I've been there and I know there are no words, in fact I have a few tears myself as I type this. I know what it's like to sit there and have a memory of him and the tears come. The pain seems like it will never end. I lost my yellow lab Casey about 8 years ago. She was such a special dog to me. Incredibly well behaved, great hunter, and when she passed I was devastated. She, much like your Buck, had helped me through some dark times in my life. I thought I could never love another dog or go through that again and never planned to. Well, earlier this year I requested a pup as a donation for our local chapter of the RMEF to be auctioned off at our banquet. He stayed at our house for a few days before the banquet and let's just say that my family fell in love with him. I was still very skeptical as I thought I had found my "once in a lifetime dog" in Casey. They broke me down and I ended up buying the puppy at our banquet for the kids. Here we are 8 months later, Half Pint says her love for him is "undescribable", my other two kids say he is their best friend (and they have plenty of others to compare him too!), Nichole (who is not a dog person) loves him more than I could have ever imagined, and me, well I'll just say that I'm now on my second "once in a lifetime dog". I know my words are just that, but remember your Buck fondly, and when you're ready, give another good boy a chance. I regret terribly all the years I went without a dog in my life grieving Casey when I could have been making new memories with another dog. My new pup is already every bit the hunter Casey was and she was a guide dog for many years. He really is something special, and I hope it warms your heart a little to hear that his name is Buck. God bless!

05-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss.

05-Dec-18
Sorry to hear about your pup. Losing a dog is terrible. I lost my pal 17 days ago and it sure is hard.

05-Dec-18
“He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog.” - Gene Hill

05-Dec-18
I have had dogs all my life. Every now and then we are blessed with a really special one that seems to know our thoughts and feelings. I have one now that I would easily take a bullet for. She seems like a soul mate. So optimistic, so forgiving and so loving. My condolences. We lost two pups this year. It is so tough.

05-Dec-18
They have a way of wiggling their way into our hearts.

05-Dec-18
Life with a good dog is special. Both of you will go to places that neither would have been without the other. Take comfort in the fact that you live and loved together.

My thoughts are with you.

05-Dec-18
I'm a long time dog man. I know somewhat how you feel. It hurts real bad and for that, I'm very sorry and hope the pain subsides soon. It never really goes away. But to paraphrase the immortal words of Winnie the Pooh..." Aren't you lucky to have had something so wonderful that it makes saying goodbye so hard." My sincere condolences to you and your family.

05-Dec-18

CObowhunter's embedded Photo
Gunners first Pheasant
CObowhunter's embedded Photo
Gunners first Pheasant
WV, I am so sorry for your loss! My family knows the hurt you are going through right now. We lost our 11 year old lab a year ago November and lost a 2 month old lab puppy this summer due to a severe seizure that he never recovered from. I thank god everyday I have my 2 year old Lab Gunner he has been our rock! You and your family will be in my families thoughts and prayers.

05-Dec-18
I'm so sorry for your loss my friend

05-Dec-18
Sounds like you gave that dog one hell of a life that you can be proud of. It's never easy and I'm glad you came on here to talk about it. I imagine it's almost cathartic to get it out there. My wife and I wouldn't have made it as far as we have without thedogs that have come through our lives. Good luck buddy, time will heal this wound.

05-Dec-18
Sorry my friend....we put ours down after 18 wonderful years. Difficult doesn't even describe it.

05-Dec-18
Sorry to hear this. Always a very tough thing to deal with. Time heals all eventually. The scar will always be there.

05-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss, it's always so hard when they leave us! Best wishes!

Scar

05-Dec-18
They are family, only a dog owner understands, they love us unconditionally, sorry for your loss....

05-Dec-18
If you never owned a dog you will never truly understand the feeling and love.

05-Dec-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
So sorry for your loss Justin...

I can certainly relate to your pain. I had the pleasure of having Jake as my best friend for almost 16 years...

05-Dec-18
They give constant love and companionship.

05-Dec-18
Very sorry for your loss. The many terrific posts have made me think back on many of my own dogs. Had so many tears in my eyes I even faked a sneezing fit when someone walked into my office! The absolute worst thing about having a dog is they probably aren't going to outlive us so the end is always tough....But time heals and soon we can look back on all the great memories and smile. Hang in there WV...and all the others still mourning a loss.

05-Dec-18
No explaining how a dog can effect us... sorry for your loss, happy you received the gift from God, right when you needed it.

05-Dec-18
Dogs are awesome, great dogs are even better. I am sorry to read about the passing of your beloved pet, FWIW, our family experienced almost the same thing one time, where a seemingly healthy lab fell over and died quite quickly from an unknown cancer.

Did I mention that dogs are awesome? Because they are! Take solace in the many warm memories that I am sure that you have. Dogs are awesome.

05-Dec-18
There are really no words that can adequately express the loss of a dog. All dogs go to heaven.

05-Dec-18
Justin, my condolences. Been there three times and I swore never again. I am of course writing this as my buddy is snoring next to me. Roxy, mountain bikes, hikes, scouts, mushroom hunts, fishes, you name it, with me. I dread the day and saddens me every time I see a post like this.

Look at it this way though. You had a friend that gave a lot of enjoyment and you are one heck of good dude for providing such a wonderful life to a dog. This time around I told myself there will be no regrets; Roxy may not know it but she is lucky that we found each other. Same for you and your best friend. Pete

05-Dec-18
Very sorry to hear the bad news. It's a tough deal losing a good dog that's for sure.

05-Dec-18
Very sorry to hear this!

05-Dec-18
So sorry to hear this - saying a prayer for you- friend.....

05-Dec-18
I'm sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

05-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss. My day is coming soon with my best friend.

05-Dec-18
I am feeling very sorry for you as I remember losing my very special dogs over the years. I think getting a pup is a good idea as mentioned here, but I have not done so because of what you are going through right now. Some of these posts bring tears to my eyes and make me realize what many bowsiters share aside from our bowhunting and I hope you feel their caring. My best.......... Bob

05-Dec-18
So sorry for your loss. It's a tough time and talking helps. Takes me back dogs I've lost. Sweet memorys though. Thanks for sharing.

05-Dec-18

Ok, we did it for Buck and you! Chase and I left home this 5am and drove three hours east to pheasant hunt. Half way through the first Walk In Area, a nice rooster get up in range. It was very cold this morning and my wool gloves did not work the safety correctly and the rooster left untouched. The next field another opportunity. , Chase get birdy and is on the hunt. I can hardly see him in the tall red grass. I run forward, the rooster flushes, clears the grass and is crossing my path at 40 yards. I swing out in front and dump him, feathers flying. Because of the thick and tall grass, Chase keep trying to find the dead rooster and after 5-6 circles, he brings the rooster to hand.

There you go, a bird for Buck. my best, Paul and Chase

05-Dec-18
Sorry to hear this...they live long enough to create an incredible bond and friendship then they’re gone. But damn those few years of loyalty and love is sure unforgettable.

06-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss. He was as lucky to have you as you were him. I have a 3 year old named Mia. She literally goes everywhere with me. She comes to the office with me everyday. Only time she isn’t with me is when I am bowhunting. I swear sometimes I almost don’t go just because I feel bad leaving her at home. It’s amaxing how much we love them. They are part of our lives, but for them we are their entire life.

06-Dec-18
Sorry to hear this

06-Dec-18

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
WV, I offer you my sincerest sympathies. There is NOTHING like the love a great dog, (God spelled backwards), and I feel your loss. It hurts, bad. I am sorry. My wife lost her Jake this past June, and she is heartbroken. I had Kayak for 16 1/2 years, and still miss him after losing him 22 years ago. I can't imagine losing Trapper while he is young (5 now). God forbid. My heart goes out to you. TK

06-Dec-18
WV,

The loss of the most loyal friend you/we may ever have is always very difficult. Treasure your fond and loved memories of "Buck"

06-Dec-18
Thank you all for the words of understanding and encouragement. Both, on this thread and in the PM's. My wife and I are doing good and after her reading this, she now understands why I come here instead of watch TV. Life goes on. I hope that I have or, was able to comfort each one of you the way you did for us on this thread. God Bless men

06-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss WV

07-Dec-18

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Sorry for your loss, got a dog 4 years ago, and my daughter who is now 9 is going to be devastated when he leaves us all. Her bond to this dog is so strong, I dread that day. She got him to pose for halloween. Lucky has become Lucky Potter.

Hang in there.

07-Dec-18

Jake preferred his Serengeti Aviators :^)

07-Dec-18
Not a time for sorrow, You gave him a great life I am sure you loved him and did your best to take care of him!

Do yourself a favor take a picture and have it laminated, put it in your wallet and take it everywhere with you. I often just take a walk into the woods and stop at a huge oak tree, sit down and take out the picture of Peanut my dog loved to chase squirrels and this was her favorite place.

07-Dec-18
Wv: It doesn't surprise me in the least the kind of support you've received on this here. The vast majority of the outdoors people I know are DOG people. And for many of us they are more than pets. Anyone who's had a hunting dog also knows first hand how they are also a PARTNER. When you spend a lot of time with them in the field you develop a bind between you than non-dog people cannot comprehend. Same with working dogs.

It's because of this that when the inevitable day comes when they leave us that there's a huge hole left in your life. I've thought about this a lot, as I've had dogs my whole life, and for me it's different than losing a family member/loved one. Both of my parents are gone, and I do miss them, but there's a part of them that is part of me and will be part of me until the day I die. I guess what I'm saying is that I still feel their presence, especially my father's. With my dogs it's just empty. I guess that's why some go get another dog ASAP to fill the void. I eventually do, but not right away.

Once again, we feel your pain. My best to you.

08-Dec-18
It certainly hits the heart when ya loose a dog.

I had to put mine down after having her from a puppy to 13 1/2 years old and I still can not bring myself to getting another dog.

The emotional void is still to great to deal with.

Good luck, Robb

08-Dec-18

Artster's embedded Photo
2 wonderful cat portraits.
Artster's embedded Photo
2 wonderful cat portraits.

Artster's Link
Hey man, I really feel for you. A few years back I lost my lovely black labrador and I was in a major depression for about a year. I looked for many ways of coping with it and found pet portraits to be of great relief. Funny pet portraits to be more precise.

After that I came up with an idea and I created a portal where you could upload your pet picture and professional digital artists will convert it into a beautiful pet portrait, which could then be cherished on your wall forever. I am going to attach 2 portraits below.

I really hope I'm not breaking any policy by posting this. I just think laughter helps with pain. Anyone else feel the same way?

Thank you, I really hope this helps with your grieving. Have a wonderful day.

08-Dec-18
The greatest tribute to those we grieve is to keep that sacred circle unbroken. When it's right, get another dog.

08-Dec-18
Had to put my 10 year old Lab down in early July. Best Dog I've ever had. I miss him but also miss having a dog. I'm looking at some pups on Monday. Get back on the Horse

09-Dec-18
The loss of a pet is always terrible, they mau not speak, but they know what you feel. Sorry for your loss.

11-Dec-18

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Hope this works. The day after Reagan left, I was in a Maverick hunting blind. My eyes were not dry as I was thinking of her, and her brother Buddy that passed the year before.

Out of no where this cardinal kept trying to fly into the blind, for at least 10-15 minutes.

Robin told me after she lost her sister that when you see a red bird, it is a loved one letting you know everything is OK.

I do not believe this was a coincidence.

11-Dec-18
Tuff trail to walk Justin. Your not alone. Bob

12-Dec-18
Sorry for the loss ... always a tough one.

2 suggested reads: "Jenny Willow" and the "The Art of Racing in the Rain" with "Jenny" being more hunting-related. Both are sad in a way but somewhat uplifting at the same time.

12-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss, i know the hole it leaves, but just for a short while my friend. Take comfort in having to have shared that special bond that is forever in your soul.

12-Dec-18

jcurri's embedded Photo
jcurri's embedded Photo
Get another as soon as feel up to it. This guy has helped ease the pain from the loss of our Sam.

12-Dec-18

Lone Bugle's embedded Photo
Lone Bugle's embedded Photo
I've got a yellow lab male also named Buck. Best dog I've ever owned. He's 11 and my 13year old son's best friend. Dreading the day.......

12-Dec-18
WV you have my sympathies. Just remember the good times and be thankful for all those good times you had together.

12-Dec-18

longspeak74's embedded Photo
longspeak74's embedded Photo
Sorry for your loss Justin, they all hold a special place in our hearts. Will be a sad day for my daughter and I when this guy (Moose) goes.

13-Dec-18
all dogs go to heaven...my condolences sir MrC

13-Dec-18
same exact thing happened to a black lab I had back in the 1990's. It was tough.....I know how you feel. It's like losing a family member....I hate it.

• Sitka Gear