cnelk 11-Mar-19
cnelk 11-Mar-19
rattling_junkie 12-Mar-19
Whocares 12-Mar-19
Rut Nut 12-Mar-19
Rut Nut 12-Mar-19
rattling_junkie 17-Apr-19
04-Dec-18
I finally got out for my first day on the ice. People have been out for close to a month already in Manitoba.

05-Dec-18
Good for you guys staying active. We’ll be hunting deer until 1/17/19:)

05-Dec-18
Nice video David! I can't wait to get back on the ice here in PA! A few of my buddies got out here on the Sat. after T-giving, but I was out of town for the holiday. THings seem to be cooling back down again, so maybe with some luck I will find some safe ice this weekend.

Planning some 'double duty' days after Christmas. I found a spot on State Forest for some late season hunting near one of the lakes we ice-fish. Gonna bowhunt in the AM and PM and ice-fish during mid-day. It should work out well- less than a mile drive from the hunt spot to fish spot. Looking forward to it!

05-Dec-18
Yep - same here in N. CO. Fishing this Friday. I'm fortunate to have great trout ice fishing within walking distance from the mountain house. My walleye-bass-crappie-perch lake down here in town is just skimming over.

I finally decided to upgrade my original Clam Fish Trap Guide with one of the new insulated jobs. A little more comfy for the girlfriend and I really like the D door instead of the U on my original.

Love sight fishing for trout through the ice. Its like hunting, except with tunes and a beer!

05-Dec-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I use my Clam Kenai, but more as a wind break. I like to be 'out in the elements".

And I love to catch trout thru the ice. They are fun to catch and are usually pretty lively- even the little ones!

05-Dec-18
Charlie you are one lucky dude, once I retire I'll be chasing the hunting seasons too! Rut Nut, sure sounds like you found a perfect spot for the outdoor lifestyle, hunting and fishing in one day! Jaq, sight fishing is a blast. The water on that particular lake is too dirty, but I will definitely try and get to a clear lake and do some sight fishing this winter.

05-Dec-18
I would consider taking an invite *wink*. I've been out ice fishing twice on the Mississippi here already. Been doing pretty well on the bluegills/perch so far. Only a few crappies and haven't targeted the walleye since right before the rut. Never done any type of trout fishing and there's quite a few streams around. I love being laid off a little before Thanksgiving every year (I pour cement). Last year I tagged out on a 10pt in the morning and went ice fishing with my dad the rest of the day. Fishing keeps me outside until turkey season. Good luck fellas.

06-Dec-18
Eric, trade you for a deer hunt :)

06-Dec-18
Well in the UP, ice fishing is just as natural, as clean air...... fishing has been going on for about a month, but still have to be careful,,,,,,, I am too much into trapping and still hunting,,,,,, however always take time out, for some trout or gills

06-Dec-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
We also had our first winner!!

06-Dec-18
Ugh, that stinks Apauls. I love ice fishing, just overly cautious. friends love to bust me that I wear a life jacket ice fishing until it's like 8-10" thick :)

We are probably 3-4 weeks away, and only if it stay's cold, here in central MA. We had a few inches, but it melted in most places with a warm up last weekend, now it's starting to setup with some more seasonal weather. Hopefully by the end of hunting season (Dec 31) it will be safe on some ponds.

11-Dec-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Will- look into the float suits- they’re worth every penny!

We got on the ice this past weekend. And you’ll never guess what we found frozen in the ice!

11-Dec-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Yep- that’s a deer. Coyote tracks all around it. Looks like they tried to eat it, but it was already frozen.

11-Dec-18
I found one whole on top of the ice about 10 years ago, about 3/4 mile from shore.

We lost two ice fisherman in Central MN over the weekend, one almost got out the other was on the bottom of the lake in 40 ft of water in his Ranger. That said lakes in my neighborhood have 6-8 inches of ice. Tried spearing for a few hours w/o any luck.

12-Dec-18
That's sad Tony! We had a guy fall thru in our area this weekend.(luckily he was rescued) Only a few lakes in the area were safe this weekend. The one I was on had just a hair under 4" of clear black ice. But I used my spud bar everywhere I walked. I NEVER go on the ice without my float suit(bibs and jacket) and my ice-picks- and I have a throw(rescue) bag in my sled. In the above pic you can see the lanyard around my neck that is attached to the picks that are in my pocket. I'm always wearing that when on the ice.

12-Dec-18
The ice here is plenty thick, 12-15 inches now. I am still going to wait to take my truck out there, but walking on or with a snowmobile or atv is fine. Heading out tomorrow with my son for whitefish.

12-Dec-18
Good luck keep it safe guys.Waterskiing is getting a little chilly here.

12-Dec-18
I will never be the first guy out on the ice that’s for sure honestly it creeps me out.

12-Dec-18
Fetch(2004) You Tube check it out!Don't be afraid.

12-Dec-18
The lake I ice fish for lake trout has had a good lid on it since Thanksgiving. But its at 10,000'.

I have my snowmobile ready but I can ice fish it until April so there's no rush. I'll probably get out over the Holidays

12-Dec-18
My brother and I are going to get on the ice tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a picture to share.

13-Dec-18

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Went to 11 mile in CO, put about 15 or so on the ice in a couple hours. Highlight of the day was all the antelope I saw. Over 100.

13-Dec-18
Put a bunch of crappies top side on Monday. Ice was easy 15". Biggest crappie was 13 1/2. That's a good slab for out here. Weather was beautiful. Sure nice to get out.

13-Dec-18
Went last Saturday and went yesterday. Saturday we fished 3-4 inches of good clear ice. Limited out on big bluegills (25) and probably threw back 60 or so. Went to another spot to see if the perch were still there and took home about 9 of those. Yesterday we didn't go out until after noon so we went to a marsh close to home. Decent bite. Around 30 fish kept between my dad and I. It was split ab*out half/half between gills and crappies. Threw back quite a few smaller fish. I love early ice. I fish a lot of questionable ice and am quite often the first one on some places. We do make sure we only fish places we know we can touch bottom and get out even if the bottom is soft. I see guys every year crossing 30 foot channels with current and can only shake my head. Been a darn good year for ice fishing here, if only it'd get real cold again so I can get to some of my honey holes!

13-Dec-18

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Had the lake to myself on Tuesday - prolly cause I was the only one dumb enough to fish in 20 mph wind...

13-Dec-18

13-Dec-18

13-Dec-18

13-Dec-18

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
Got out today, 7" of ice, a few good hits when we first set up then nothing.

13-Dec-18
Poudre Canyon - be cautious walking in that way. Its private property, owned by the water company

13-Dec-18
Nice fishing. What sates are posted here?

I'm in CT. Usually, I'll start late December, early January.

14-Dec-18
I'm near Westcliffe, Colorado.

14-Dec-18
Floating suits are cheap. I wish everyone that ice fished wore them. About 10 years ago I was fishing on 10" of ice with on an atv on Leech Lake in northern MN. Halfway back at night I went through in a spot that had 1" of ice. I barely survived that ordeal. Had I had a floating suit and ice picks things would have been much easier for me. I never go on the ice without them now, whether there is 6" or 36" of ice.

14-Dec-18

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
It’s go time in North Dakota 10 to 12 inches with some 15 inch perch.

14-Dec-18
I LOVE chasing perch! Devils Lake area?

NEIAbowhunter, are you fishing farm ponds or backwaters of the river? Just curious.

14-Dec-18
No not Devils Lake Jamestown area

14-Dec-18
Nice batch of perch. Not much better eating than that.

14-Dec-18
Nicely done guys!!!

Mark

14-Dec-18
Just a little jealous over here of those Perch. Man I love them. Been to Devil's Lake twice after them and only ever caught a couple in 3 days each trip. Limited out on walleye every day though. I wish I was better at finding them more consistently.

14-Dec-18
That sounds EXACTLY like our 2 trips to Devils Lake in the past!!!! (and the reason why I never could find anyone to go back......)

14-Dec-18
Devils lake has grown to massive size finding them has became a lot harder. Our game and fish has done a wonderful job stocking sloughs that have become small lakes. There are a lot better places to catch perch then devils

14-Dec-18

Whocares's embedded Photo
Took a break from walleyes on Red Lake and quick trip to North Dakota for pheasants as it is in upper 40s here this week!

15-Dec-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

15-Dec-18

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Caught a palomino on the first drop and the bite never slowed down. Sight fishing is great for newbies because of the excitement when the fish come sharking in.

15-Dec-18
Who Cares Beatiful dog.Lost one to hip displasea."Bullwinkle"

16-Dec-18
Thank you. Trapper is gray in the muzzle like his owner. But my buddy and loyal. Great hunting partner.

17-Dec-18
Nice fish guys! I'm in the same boat as Whocares, too busy chasing birds with my boy to hit the ice yet. I probably won't get out until after pheasant season closes in January.

19-Dec-18
Got out with they boy for whitefish and some bonus pike. He caught 25, I got 13 and my buddy 8.

19-Dec-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Hard to go ice fishing when this guy wants to chase pheasants! I've had a long time goal to shoot one out of the air with the recurve. Next year we're going to make that happen, right now I'm all about getting my 11 month old pup as much experience as I can.

19-Dec-18
Those birds and bird dog pics are awesome. I need to get mine out after them...WooHoo.

19-Dec-18

grossklw's embedded Photo
December limit of roosters in SD CREP!
December limit of roosters in SD CREP!
Old lady on the far left has over 600 career pheasants to her credit. My golden is 2nd from the left with one of his sons 2nd from the right, he turned out lighter but will be a hell of a bird dog. Getting the hang of it at 5 months already!
Old lady on the far left has over 600 career pheasants to her credit. My golden is 2nd from the left with one of his sons 2nd from the right, he turned out lighter but will be a hell of a bird dog. Getting the hang of it at 5 months already!
October limit of public land birds.
October limit of public land birds.
Way too many pheasants that need killing yet before I grab a pole. The pup's up to 35 on the year between SD and WI. Need to find a few dumbies to hit a nice 40, unfortunately in WI most of the dumbies are in someone's freezer already!

19-Dec-18

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
Ahhh, I have to do that again, Did it in MT with Kayak. Now its Trapper's turn. I'm waiting.... :)

19-Dec-18

Still waiting...

23-Dec-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
The walleye are biting!

23-Dec-18
Noooooo Ty...Ice fishing stinks as far as I’m concerned... I went once as a kid. We walked 3 miles in knee deep snow to get to the lake. Took an hour to hand auger through what seemed like 2 feet of ice only to find out where was 4 inches of water below us...That’s all the ice fishing I’ve ever done...

Nice job though....Shug

23-Dec-18
Yikes, Sugar, that sounds awful!! How about an insulated portable sled-hut with propane heater and padded swivel seats, with holes drilled by a 10" power auger over weed structure found by shooting the Vexilar color sonar down through the top of the ice, then watching big trout shark around the jigs (I tied) while sipping hot cocoa and schnapps with girlfriend and listening to tunes on Pandora? Then picking up a big $$ prize check at the end of the day after the derby ends.. Sound a little more appealing? :-)

23-Dec-18
Jaq - you're still old school with a flasher? Boy time to upgrade to a Panotpix live scope ;) Might as well be able to look around and see what's available before committing to a spot! Don't forget a small USB fan hanging from the roof to even out the heat. No reason to live like a peasant out there...

23-Dec-18
Have used a scope, not real crazy about it. Weve seen some great shots of big lakers and walleyes biting the jig and filling the screen, though. I've had a Vexilar FL8 for 30 years. GF is upgrading me to the latest 28 Pro Pack. They are amazing fishing tools!

23-Dec-18

Jason Stafford's embedded Photo
Jason Stafford's embedded Photo

24-Dec-18
My son and I went up to the high country this morning for the first lake trout trip of the year.

Kinda slow. Iced 2 kept 1. And its gonna get SMOKED!

Back home in time for brunch

24-Dec-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

24-Dec-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

24-Dec-18
Nice 'eyes guys! : )

I was old school for 20+ years.(no electronics) Then a buddy showed me what his flasher could do. I bought a used Marcum Lx-5 the next year and am still using it. I hear the panoptix is the $#@%!!! But I could barely justify $300 for a flasher.......................................so I'll probably never own one unless I can find a STEAL on one used! ;-)

24-Dec-18
Lou is that an invite? I’ll bring Kike with me

24-Dec-18
Oh the walleye and perch, my mouth is watering!

24-Dec-18
Always an invite!

Yep, flashers change everything. All my friends bought one after seeing what mine could do 30 years ago. Can't imagine ice fishing without one.

24-Dec-18
Another game changer is the new generation of cordless drills! I got a Milwaukee Fuel 18v drill a couple years ago. The thing is a beast!(1200”/lbs of torque) Got the adapter that turns my old strikemaster mora 8” auger into an electric ice eating machine! ;-)

24-Dec-18
Battery auger just doesn't have enough for AK. We often had to put an extension to cut holes in over 40" of ice

Nearly 60 years ago we were spearing northerns and trapping rats. Where the ice house was we had about 12" of ice. Back in the cattails where we were trapping I broke through 3 different times trying to get to good ice. The last time I went completely under. When I came up my 25# lighter buddy had a .22 rifle barrel in my face. I got out and we made it to a small island and got a huge deadfall fire burning.

Eventually I got dry enough to make it to a small cabin where the owner called my dad. Rats were off limits for 2 more weeks.

24-Dec-18
LKH, strikemaster makes a good one. Guys were testing them out on Lake Winnipeg where we routinely have over 4 feet of ice. Many times I have my 18" extension on my auger out here in February and March. I am going to trade my 71cc eskimo in for the 40v lithium Strikemaster 10"

24-Dec-18
DirtyD was blasting through thick ice last week with an 18V drill on a Clam adaptor plate hooked onto his old hand auger stem. I used it and was really impressed. I think he dug about 15 holes and it was still going strong. I do wonder if it has enough torque to push my 10" bit, though.

I love my 40V lithium chainsaw. If my Eskimo motor ever croaks I'm definitely going 40V electric.

24-Dec-18
I have the 40 volt, 5amp 8" Strikemaster. Great auger and $70 less than the same spec Ion. Gotta have new toys if they make em, eh?

25-Dec-18
Lou- I’ve got the Milwaukee Fuel with 3(three) 5.0 ah batteries. I’ve only ever got below 50% battery one time. I wanted to see how many holes I could drill on one battery. Took me 3 trips, but I drilled like 78 holes in 10” of ice.

I’m sure it would use more battery turning a 10” auger, but I bet it has plenty of torque to turn it! And with two or three 5.0 batteries, battery life should not be an issue.

25-Dec-18
Lou- next time I'm up we'll strap your 10" auger on my adapter plate and see how it does, in the name of science... I will say this, that rig I have is the coolest thing I've spent money on in a LONG time!

25-Dec-18

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
My buddy had his boat out on Lake Erie last Sunday,,, Dec. 16th.

26-Dec-18

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
Pulled this beauty through the ice today. I will admit I had plenty of bites and only caught one. It was a gorgeous day out there.

26-Dec-18
On the battery deal I’ve had an 8” Ion for years and would never trade it. Used it a couple winters on Lake Winnipeg with 50” of ice or whatever we have here I can’t remember. No issues whatsoever.

30-Dec-18
Cant do this with a Clam Plate!! :)

30-Dec-18

Cut2Kill's embedded Photo
Grandsons MT rainbow!
Cut2Kill's embedded Photo
Grandsons MT rainbow!

01-Jan-19

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Had a couple insidental catches walleye fishing

01-Jan-19

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Pretty crazy catching them back to back

01-Jan-19

happygolucky's embedded Photo
Completely jealous of your Pike up there APauls. I'd love to ice fish north of our border one year.

My family did get to hit the hard water over XMAS at our place in northern WI. I love the hard water and so does my boxer.

02-Jan-19

Corn bore's embedded Photo
Corn bore's embedded Photo
Brrrrr

03-Jan-19
You guys are killing me...I haven't been able to ice fish or shoot pheasants at all this year...Got my fingers crossed for some birds on Saturday though...

03-Jan-19

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo

03-Jan-19

wisconsinteacher's embedded Photo
Great pictures. I love ice fishing. I just got back from Canada. I got a few good ones up there.

03-Jan-19

03-Jan-19
Wow !!!!

03-Jan-19
WOW, WOW! Those are monster walleye!

03-Jan-19
Wisconsinteacher, where in Canada were you fishing?

03-Jan-19
Those look like Lake Winnipeg Walleye's.

03-Jan-19

grape's embedded Photo
grape's embedded Photo

03-Jan-19
Wow on those Eyes and Wow on that Pike Grape. I need to get north of the border.

05-Jan-19

Red Lake.
Red Lake.

05-Jan-19
I like the shadow in wisconsinteachers 2nd picture.

05-Jan-19

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
29.25”

05-Jan-19
Ive been weeding thru the little lake trout the past couple days. I did hook into a big one this morning but it came off.

Gotta love the view at 10,000"

06-Jan-19
Monster pike Grape !!! Nice fish guys !! My buddy has his boat out on Erie again..... January 6th !! He probably has the whole lake to himself.

06-Jan-19
I wanna come and visit you Brad :)

06-Jan-19
Nicely done Brad, have you ever got your auger bit stuck in the ice, when you leave it in the ice a couple feet like that? Lake Winnipeg is littered with bits every year because of that, but it might be that we have colder temps here.

06-Jan-19
Come on.... you're talking to a guy that's been ice fishing northern Minnesota and Ontario for over 60 years ..... Littered with bits? May you guys from Winnipeg forget to bolt them on? Incidentally, I have a commercial fisherman acquaintance from Gimley that I've hung out with down in Lake Havasu in the winter.

06-Jan-19
@rattlin Junkie

I havent had that problem out here in Colorado. But I do remember back on Lake of the Woods, I almost lost an auger bit once as it jammed up when it punched thru 4ft of ice. The weather was so damn cold it froze up instantly. But I got it broke loose

06-Jan-19
Whoever wants to go with me lake trout fishing can drill the holes! This was in March 2014. We had to shovel 18" of snow just to get to the ice

06-Jan-19
Have rattling send you a set of blades that are littering the ice up there! Uffda! That was thick ice! Those trout musta been wedged against the bottom.

06-Jan-19
Actually spelled Gimli, Manitoba.

06-Jan-19
Whocares, I have seen a few bits in the ice that guys abandoned because they couldn't get them out.

06-Jan-19
Lol yup! 36” of added extensions on my Ion last year. Auger flights get stuck in the ice when it’s too deep and guys don’t clear enough snow as they go down and it jams at the bottom and now it’s full of snow the whole time, water starts to trickle up and then she freezes in. Keeping on clearing the hole when there’s 5 feet of ice is what saves you. Or an Ion where you can throw her in reverse ;)

07-Jan-19

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
I dug up this picture for another thread, so I want to share it here also. This is my all time favorite ice fishing picture. My ice fishing partner.

07-Jan-19
Last year I was ice fishing on this date. Caught some nice bass in open water for the first time in January.

15-Jan-19
Nice catches!

15-Jan-19

Norseman's embedded Photo
30 incher
30 incher

15-Jan-19

Zippel Bay Resort Igloo Bar out on the Lake Lake of the Woods
Zippel Bay Resort Igloo Bar out on the Lake Lake of the Woods

25-Jan-19

JiScott's Link
Your fishing photos could look even better with this: http://noon-day.com/ I can assure you that mine and my family's photos with them turned out to be nice. This made me like it even more.

25-Jan-19
That’s WILD Norseman!

26-Jan-19

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
One bite one fish a few days ago.

26-Jan-19

My son getting after them last weekend - he iced 8 and lost a couple others:)

27-Jan-19

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
Got this beauty today and a small Rainbow. Released both of them.

27-Jan-19

JDM's embedded Photo
JDM's embedded Photo
Only caught 2 this trip but I'll take it. Quickly measured at 34 inches and back in the lake it went.

27-Jan-19
Jeff where was this? Nice!

28-Jan-19
My southern Wis bowhunting will end today, since it will be 12 below on Wed, and that's it for me...... Back to the UP, next week, and lots of fishing, which is easy enough, and have 2 Otter tags, yet to fill.......

I like to fish for gills and trout,,,,,,

01-Feb-19

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I bailed on the ice fishing for a week...

01-Feb-19
Nice Dorado! or Dolphin or Mahi Mahi.... LOL

Caught a bunch of those in my day! My buddy's dad has a place in Marathon, FL where we go out and fish.

FF

01-Feb-19

BOHUNTER09's embedded Photo
BOHUNTER09's embedded Photo
Looks like we had one day for ice fishing here in south East Illinois. Ice is barely safe today and going fast

01-Feb-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Been fishing on this interior Alaska lake since the winter I moved here. Not many fish but a good chance at catching real big lake trout. I’ve lost two in the 5 winters I’ve fished it and finally landed my first last weekend. Not huge, 10lbs and that’s ok with me. Quick photo and back down the hole.

11-Mar-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Played hooky today and snowmobiled in to my favorite lake.

It was a good day.

11-Mar-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My buddy iced this one too

12-Mar-19

rattling_junkie's embedded Photo
Nice lakers Nick and cnelk! I am going for my own laker trip at the beginning of April. Here is my son with a girthy pike from yesterday.

12-Mar-19
Beautiful trout, Brad. My favorite fishing. Hope to get a trip in the next couple weeks in Ontario. Then we do an ice out trip mid may every year. Those early trout are wild!

12-Mar-19

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Great Lakers guys!

Not a big trout, but it came up in an unusual way! ;-)

12-Mar-19

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Thought it was just an aggressive trout that wouldn’t let go. Then the mouth opened and the plastic was actually stuck on a tooth!

17-Apr-19

I had one last trip on the ice that has turned out to be an annual event. Sleeping on the ice and fishing from the cot is a must. I almost look forward to this one just as much as my hunting trips. We caught lakers, tiger trout, and some night time burbot. Bear baits will be out next week.

• Sitka Gear