Treeline 05-Dec-18
t-roy 05-Dec-18
molsonarcher 05-Dec-18
molsonarcher 05-Dec-18
BOWNBIRDHNTR 05-Dec-18
wildwilderness 05-Dec-18
Branden 05-Dec-18
05-Dec-18
I currently have 4 points in Wyoming, none anywhere else. I am looking for a good mule deer hunt with the goal of a Pope and Young deer. I am not opposed to using an outfitter, or looking at another state. I am also not looking for someones honey hole. Currently seeking options for 2020 or after. I live in Ohio, so scouting a unit before hand really isnt an option. I also do not have a preference on hunt style. Im willing to sit water, transition areas, or spot and stalk. Public or private land makes no difference. Im not looking to shoot the biggest deer in the unit, and dont want to wait years to hunt the best units. Any advice would be appreciated.

05-Dec-18
On another note, i have looked at Mexico and Canada. Canada is most likely out of my price range, and Mexico seems doable, but not real sure about a solid outfitter for archery. Most of the Mexican hunts seem to be geared towards rifle guys.

05-Dec-18
I would like to keep the hunt around 5k or less, but would spend a little more for the right situation.

05-Dec-18
Ward's (sponsor here) does mulie hunts in Mexico, I do believe. I'd check him out. The mexico mulie hunts I've looked at where more expensive than those in Canada.

05-Dec-18
Ive hunted witb Steve, and talked about the mulie hunt in Mexico. His is rifle

05-Dec-18

BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
Did you ask Steven about hunting mule deer in Arizona? My son and I both shot mule deer with him this past September. I have not scored them but they were both respectable bucks...and I missed one bigger than the one I killed.

05-Dec-18
I think your goal is very achievable on a DIY archery hunt in either WY or CO. By 2020, you could have 5 WY points and 1 CO point, which gives you tons of options. If you can pull a region G tag in WY, that might be my first choice, but who knows how many points that will require in two years. There are tons of CO archery deer hunts available for 0-1 points. I'd be happy to give you a few specific recommendations if you shoot me a PM.

Personally, I think you can have a similar overall experience on DIY vs outfitted hunt, but if you absolutely need to come home with a deer, an outfitter will increase your odds by eliminating/reducing some of the other variables (pressure, logistics, etc.).

05-Dec-18
You definitely have enough points in Wyoming for a good tag. Their deer numbers are still down in the western part of the state that is the best trophy potential but don’t overlook eastern Wyoming on private land...

Colorado is a very viable option. There are plenty of units that you can draw for no points (every year) and DIY or look into an outfitter. P&Y and even B&C mule deer bucks can come from anywhere in the state. Colorado has many more options for mule deer than Arizona and consistently produces more “book” mule deer than any other location.

There are also good bucks in the prairie states that offer very good opportunities - Nebraska, Kansas, the Dakotas, Oklahoma and even N Texas. Those will mostly be private land deals and thee are some decent outfitters if you want to go that way.

I would not go to Mexico or Canada unless it was free.

05-Dec-18
Check with Mikes’s Outfitting (Bowsite sponsor). A little above your price point, but not much, and he has some incredible mule deer.

05-Dec-18
Bownbird, i have been considering that option. I will just have a very hard time not chasing a coues instead. I love those deer!

05-Dec-18
Tjkwonta. I will send a pm from home later. Thanks!

05-Dec-18
Thunderstorms chased us out of the mountains as we were there for coues as well. Was very nice to have back up plan! Steven just got his ram so he's fairly accessible right now. Good luck.

05-Dec-18
I would look at Colorado. Mountain hunts for DIY or eastern plains if you want an outfitter.

05-Dec-18
If you are just looking for a P&Y deer I would go diy like mentioned above. Also I would not drive an extra day to get to Colorado when you are driving right past good bucks in the plains states.

I hunt in ND and there is plenty of public to have a decent hunt. It’s a draw with about 30% odds. The season is over 4 months long. If you are interested I can point you in the right direction.

Regards, Branden

• Sitka Gear