bentshaft 05-Dec-18
hardcore247 05-Dec-18
Ironbow-cell 05-Dec-18
Bowfreak 06-Dec-18
ScottyC 06-Dec-18
Ironbow 06-Dec-18
Bowfreak 06-Dec-18
05-Dec-18
I have a Defiant Carbon 34 (2017) model that wants to shoot nock high even though everything is set dead on. Cams are timed, arrow and rest set with a level. I get about a 1" high tear at 6 feet through paper, and at 10 yds with a bare shaft it is nock high.

I have been doing some searching and seem to be finding this is a common problem. Has anybody on Bowsite experienced the same issue? What did you do to fix it? I can raise the rest or lower the loop slightly, it just seems strange to do so.

05-Dec-18
What arrows are you using? What poundage is your bow? Try a stiffer arrow.

05-Dec-18
65#, 29" draw, Carbon Express Mayhem 350 at 29". Arrow should be plenty stiff.

05-Dec-18
Not sure what you mean when you say it's strange to set the nocking point off level? That's normal tuning. The other option is to fool with the draw stop timing so one cam is hitting slightly before the other.

05-Dec-18
Adjust the cam timing.

05-Dec-18
What rest are you shooting? My pro shop was having the same problem. He called Hoyt and they said to put an AAE pro drop on it. We did that and it cleared up. A month later I shot my release through my bow and cracked the riser. So needless to say if you are looking a lightly used aae pro drop I’m your guy.

05-Dec-18
Meant to say lower the loop. To get rid of the high tear. I will need to lower the loop (or raise the rest) so the arrow no longer sits level but the point is higher than the nock.

On adjusting cam timing, which cam should be backed off the stop? Won't that narrow the valley some?

06-Dec-18
Are you saying you are getting a nock high tear or you have to set your nock high to get it to the shoot?

I assume the first as have to shoot a nock "low" setup (nocking point on the string is low) is the nature of the beast for that cam system.

There are a handful of options to fix the issue but by far the easiest is to just run a low nocking point. As long as you have fletching clearance it will shoot just fine. It is just annoying running a setup like that knowing it should be level or slightly high.

Other options are: Remove top speed nocks (This will help) Speed up bottom cam (You can adjust your mods to different DLs so it doesn't feel so crappy). If you speed up your bottom cam it will feel like crap to draw.

I would just move the nocking point down.

06-Dec-18
Is it a 2.0 cam or a 2.1 cam?

06-Dec-18
Bowfreak,

Nock height is set dead level and I am getting a 1" high tear. Cams are perfectly timed. It just seems weird to set the nock point low. But the bow draws and shoots really well. I just need to get rid of the high tear.

ScottyC, cam is 2.0 set in the E slot. 29" draw.

06-Dec-18
Ironbow,

It is weird but that is what you get with DFX cams. The 2.0s were by far the worst for this. My number 3 cams did it also. You can do a search about the DFX #2 cam and find more reading than you would care to ingest on this issue.

The easiest thing by far is to lower your nocking point. As long as you get vane clearance it will shoot great like that.

• Sitka Gear