Dagwood_55 08-Dec-18
kota-man 08-Dec-18
greg simon 08-Dec-18
APauls 09-Dec-18
06-Dec-18

crankn101's embedded Photo
crankn101's embedded Photo

crankn101's Link
Do you guys know if the Kuiu Guide DCS series jacket is windproof?

On their site it says its wind resistant but a guy on another forum said it wasnt. Im really hoping someone can clear this up for me so I can place an order or look for another brand.

06-Dec-18
Works for me on many levels!

06-Dec-18
I’d say yes, I where mine in tree stand frequently in winds 20-30 mph frequently and stay more than comfortable

06-Dec-18
Yes it is.

06-Dec-18
Thanks fellas

06-Dec-18
Maybe not wind proof. What is?

This jacket does do pretty well in wind up on the ridges. With a puffy under it, I’m good down to around 20 degrees sitting on a ridge in the wind glassing for deer.

I do use the hood a lot glassing in the wind and that helps a lot. I like the hood design.

Pretty much my go-to for the majority of my mountain hunting in September-October in CO and Coues in AZ in December-January. It stays in the truck year round.

Not much of a tree sitter so can’t tell you about how it would work for that. When tree sitting I am usually in KOM blowdown camo! I know, I know, I am an old fart!

Love the zipper pits to air out and lose heat when hiking. It’s not rain proof but will keep you warm and dry in the majority of the storms you will get into in the summer/fall in Colorado or other SW states.

Overall a very good piece of gear to have with you!

06-Dec-18
Windproof? No. Useable in nearly all winds we would bow hunt in anyway? yes. I use my guide jacket in most scenarios that don't involve steady rains.

Windproof typically also can be used synonymously with waterproof in reality. You want zero wind? Wear your raincoat.

06-Dec-18
Good points Trevor.

06-Dec-18
Or buy a product with Windstopper in it.

06-Dec-18
I love mine. It’s a good compromise in materials. Relatively quiet material that is pretty wind and drizzle resistant. I grab it a lot over other pieces. Next level would be a noisy hard shell.

06-Dec-18
Not windproof. Works well for active hunting, but windy cold weather and I’d prefer my Sitka Stratus (windproof) and in that scenario I can tell the difference

06-Dec-18
Breathable does not equal wind proof unfortunately. It does a pretty good job but if it’s windy you’ll feel it.

06-Dec-18
Brotsky nails it here. You want windproof, go with something wind-stopper like the Sitka Jetstream. The Guide jacket is breathable, however it is NOT wind proof.

06-Dec-18
I love my Jetstream and the wind stopper. If you get the Jetstream purchase it in the mud color. You’ll want to wear it everywhere and the mud blends in better with the general public. ;)

06-Dec-18
It is not “windproof” but it is wind resistant/ breaking meaning it greatly reduces wind.

Properly layered it works well in the wind. I’m also a big fan of the Guide vest.

06-Dec-18
I'm with the other guys. Cut almost all wind but not windproof. Phenomenal soft shell though.

08-Dec-18
"You want windproof, go with something wind-stopper like the Sitka Jetstream. The Guide jacket is breathable, however it is NOT wind proof."

Windstopper is nothing more than a Goretex membrane. The reason they don't market Windstopper as rain gear is because the seams are not taped. The only thing that's totally wind PROOF would be something that is not breathable. and if it isn't breathable, then sweat will accumulate in your base layers and you'll get cold. Any garment that allows moisture vapor out will also allow wind in to an extent. I like the Windstopper clothes that I own. Wind PROOF? No Wind resistant and warm? Yes.

08-Dec-18
I wear the Guide vest on just about every hunt this time of year. I agree with the other comments that it’s about as wind proof as you can get and still be breathable...

08-Dec-18
Wore mine for a week on Kodiak at the end of November. It was so fricking cold it really didn't matter.

Wap

08-Dec-18
How does this jacket compare to the Sitka Fanatic?? In warmth while on a stand??

08-Dec-18
It doesn’t Dagwood. It’s not a “stand jacket.

08-Dec-18
For warmth on stand Kuiu Guide Jacket is not what you want. It is for mobile hunting. Sitka Fanatic is a coat designed for treestand hunting. You would not want to wear it if you were walking much. Both are great coats just made for different specific uses.

09-Dec-18
Dagwood they’re like comparing a hoodie and a parka

• Sitka Gear