Treeline 06-Dec-18
Duke 06-Dec-18
Treeline 06-Dec-18
Zim 07-Dec-18
canepole 07-Dec-18
Hawkarcher 07-Dec-18
gunmaster 09-Jan-19
06-Dec-18
I wonder where they hit the deer that is way immobile enough to get into the back of truck but then moments later could jump from truck?

I was hunting a coyote calling contest a few years ago in WY. We were about a hour from the check in about 1 hour before check in cut off time. We shot a coyote to save time I took the guns and went to get truck. My partner in tournament went and got coyote. When he got to yote it was still alive. He had shot it in the neck. Since I had the guns and we were in a hurry he still grabbed it and threw it in back off truck. When we got back to Rawlins and in the check in line. We got out of truck and coyote was alive with head up. So I took out knive and stabbed in lungs. The guys checking behind us told us we were suppose to kill them before we brought them in. But I can't image a scenario that a deer was alive enough to jump out of truck.

06-Dec-18
John I’ve had similar deals with a coyote where they raise their head and blink an eye. In card contests I like to make sure they are dead before sticking a card in their mouth. lol

06-Dec-18
Back in high school some of the boys decided to do a little hunting one night on the “long lease”.

Four of them loaded up in a Ford Bronco with more than adequate beverages, artificial sunlight, a rifle, and plenty of ammo.

They shot a nice buck in the right of way ditch and dropped him in his tracks with a .22 long rifle to the neck (the preferred poaching caliber to minimize noise and shot placement to minimize tracking).

A couple boys jumped out and grabbed the deer while another swung open the tailgate. The quicker you get that deer loaded and away from the scene of the crime, the less likely you are to get caught!

Had that buck in the back of the Bronco in a matter of seconds and off down the road for more high adventure!

A few beverages further down the road and one of the boys in the back seat heard something and looked over the seat to see the buck start kicking and thrashing around. Chaos rapidly ensued and the driver rapidly pulled off the road into the ditch as the buck started kicking at the boys in the back seat.

Everyone bailed out of the bronco out the two front doors and rolled into the weeds in the ditch. The guys in the back seat just jumped through between the two front seats somehow and rolled to the ground out the open doors. They managed to get out with only the need for a few stitches each in the back of the head and arms.

They stood outside the vehicle to try and assess the situation. Unfortunately, beverages were still in the back seat and they had not thought to get that or lawn chairs for the ensuing show.

The “dead” buck started tearing out the headliner with his antlers and kicking holes in the seats. He got over the back seat and gashed the back seat and front seats with his antlers and hooves, while continuing to remove the remainder of the headliner. He managed to puncture some of the beverage containers with his hooves and the interior was filled with spraying beer to add to the mix. The buck was bawling like a deranged calf the whole while and was very unnerving.

The boys were a bit taken aback at the extent of the mayhem being wrought by the dead buck. The boy whose father had let him take the Bronco out for the evening appeared to have eaten something that did not agree with him and got sick in the ditch. It might also have been due to his anticipation of severity of the whipping he was going to receive from his old man...

The decision to do something to stop the destruction was made when as the beer foam started covering the windows and windshield. That kind of abuse could not be tolerated! The initial thought was to shoot the offender, however the rifle was in the back seat with the enraged buck.

One of the boys had a good sized hunting knife and he and another brave young man decided to go back in the Bronco and cut the deer’s throat to end the destruction before all the beer was lost. They eased up to the still open front doors on either side and got close to the bawling deer.

As the deer’s head came part way through the opening between the seats, one of the boys grabbed the rack and the other one slashed the buck’s throat! Luckily, the slash was good, however the buck was not happy and managed to remove more of the upholstery and break one of the side windows in his final struggles. Additionally, he painted every surface inside what was left of the Bronco with blood.

With the deer finally expired, the boys were able to retrieve a few well earned beverages from what was left of the back seat. Unfortunately, there weren’t enough for everyone left over from the earlier events so they split the two remaining beers and then pulled the bloody deer out into the ditch to gut him. After reloading him in the back, they headed to town for additional required beverages and a good car wash.

How they made it back to town and then back home without getting pulled over is a miracle. The boys all pitched in to repair the Bronco, although I think the driver is still grounded to this day.

06-Dec-18
A friend hit a deer with his station wagon. Not far from home, he put the deer in the back of the car and headed home. He just got started down the road when he looked in the rear view mirror. The deer was looking back at him. He stopped the car, opened the tailgate and the deer jumped out and ran away.

06-Dec-18
Treeline, you sure seemed to know the details.....??

06-Dec-18

JohnMC's Link
Bambulance - 911 Call Man vs Deer - You have been warned if you listen to this at work with sound up.

06-Dec-18
Whocares: What a great handle. Applies to so much in life:)

06-Dec-18
Luckily, I was not out with the boys that night. I did get to see damage and laugh my tail off at their stupidity!

06-Dec-18
I hate how this story (along with countless others) use the term of “hunters” in depicting the poachers. Probably inadvertent, however it nonetheless lumps these idiots in with us, hunters.

06-Dec-18
Dirk, never saw that one before. That Bronco was in much worse shape.

07-Dec-18
Treeline, your recounting of that story had me in stitches. Thank you

07-Dec-18
Duke, I know this is one of the lighter side threads that's been posted here but please don't try to fool us or yourself in saying these poachers are not hunters. It's not PETA members, or the other 80% of the population that is in the middle when comes to hunting or not that poach fish and game. It's not some little old lady climbing a tree to steal a stand or taking someone else trail cam. It's a section of our "fraternity"! These pieces of shit buy hunting license, shoot guns and bows, wear camo, ect just like we do. I'm worked up some because like so many the folks on Bowsite I had some stands stolen this past weekend. The part of Okla I hunt in, there aren't any tree huggers. Nobody was trying make a political statement by my stealing stands that were attached by cables and locks to the trees. They wanted them so they could take them elsewhere and go HUNT! I guess I've been lucky since I haven't been exposed to much of this behavior. There are crummy people in every profession, religion, race, and even in politics (lol)! Why then do I hear so many good guys try to defend our beloved pass time by saying things like "those guys aren't really hunters"? If someone tries to a claim a deer they didn't shoot or break some other time honored code, they fit into the P.O.S. hunter category! Gene

07-Dec-18
This story doesn’t hold a candle to Treeline’s but I’ll relay it anyway.

A couple buddies went out in late November determined to harvest some does for the freezer. Had the butcher shop set up in the garage we were so sure we’d be successful. Sunset came and no luck. Driving home on gravel they saw a doe on the side of the road with her head up. Got out and shined a light on her. Back legs, maybe pelvis, fractured. We, I mean they, only had bows along. A guy in waterfowl camo pulls up behind and walks up to the deer. He says he’s got a .357 in the truck and offered to dispatch her. BOOM! Right to the head. She goes still.

She gets put in the back of the truck because the garage is already set up to butcher anyway. So once to town a stop at a convenience store for beer was needed before the butchering.

Driving away from the c store there was a loud noise which caused the driver to let out a string of profanities, just sure the transmission just went south. The rear view mirror showed that poor deer trying to stand up.

Got to the driveway and had to do something. She’s standing in the truck. Poor thing must’ve been terrified. Tried cutting her throat. No luck. Got out the bow and put one in her side. She expired. For real this time.

Ended up gutting her over a garbage can while she hung. Butchered her and that was that. My buddies still call that the “Tommy Boy” incident.

09-Jan-19
My uncle had a friend that emptied 8 arrows into a buck before calling my uncle and having him slit it's neck. p.s. not a single one of the arrows hit vitals!!!

• Sitka Gear