WapitiBob 07-Dec-18
Glunt@work 07-Dec-18
Mule Power 07-Dec-18
DonVathome 09-Dec-18
GregE 14-Dec-18
SBH 14-Dec-18
SBH 14-Dec-18
06-Dec-18
Last year my 2 man party application had a 1 point average. That turned out to be 97% odds in the Special draw. So only 25 out of 867 applicants didn’t draw. I was one of them! Thanks to the suicide hotline and a leftover cow tag I am still here to type this.

This year we have a 2 point average. But I have a good friend with 1 point. I’d like him to join us but that brings us down to a 1.6666 average. Looking at last years odds that should’t be a problem. Of course 2 is a whole lot better though.

What would you do?

06-Dec-18
Nothing I wouldn't do for a good friend.

06-Dec-18
Just one man's opinion, but I would stick with the 2 point, party of 2. Then your third friend that currently has 1 point, could draw the tag with 2 points in 2020 and you can still tag along.

I would much rather go on more hunts even if I'm not the tag holder, but again, that's just me.

06-Dec-18
Go with two this year, have the guy with 1 point apply and if he doesn't draw, then all 3 apply in 2020 and by 2021 you have 1.66 again. I think my math is correct. Of course by 2021 it could take 3+ to draw.

06-Dec-18
You'll draw with 1.66

06-Dec-18
Hunting is overrated friends are not

06-Dec-18
As much as I love bowhunting, Bou is spot on!

06-Dec-18
I guess his odds are good enough with ine point. There’s always the leftover tag option too.

Next year I’m in board with two guy with 7 points each so not worried about that.

06-Dec-18
OTC and Bou nailed it.

06-Dec-18
Invite me and we will hunt 2 parties of 2!!

06-Dec-18
Take your buddy hunting!!! 1 caller and two shooters each set up, rotate who calls and who shoots... you'll cover more approaches and probably kill an elk that might have skirted you with only one shooter. Have a great trip and post up your success pics - especially for your buddy with one point! Pete

06-Dec-18
I dont know what you would do for Wyoming, but I know what Im gonna do with my buddy for Wyoming this coming year

06-Dec-18
otcWill, X2!

ElkNut/Paul

06-Dec-18
So your trying to draw a general tag with 1.67 pts in the regular draw? Last year we didn’t draw with a 2.0 average

06-Dec-18
He said special draw.

06-Dec-18
You say he is a good friend, if he's also a good friend you like to hunt with the decision should be easy...

06-Dec-18
There is the random draw...apply as a party of 2, your buddy could pull a random tag as a party of one.

I have 8 points, looking for a guy with more points than me to lift me up for a great unit. Anyone interested? Full disclosure, my wife says I snore louder than a train, and you can hear it in the next county. I don't know what she is talking about, doesn't bother me in the least.

07-Dec-18
Unless I had an above average gen unit to hunt and ample time to get 3 tags filled, I'd split the hunt over 2 years. $1,300 is a dam big tag to eat.

07-Dec-18
In your shoes I would insist we put in all together. In your one point friend's shoes I would insist you and your other 2 point buddy put in and I'll take my chances alone. Everyone approaching it with a selfless attitude usually ends up paying off no matter which way you finally end up going.

07-Dec-18
Glunt you are wise. Friendship is a two way street. I told him to hop on board. But he said he’d be devastated if we didn’t draw. He’s a great guy and a really awesome solid dependable hunting partner that is definitely a joy to have along. He said his chances are too good in the Special to risk bringing us down. But I look at what happened to us last year and don’t want to leave him behind.

Bob I don’t know about the unit as a hole but I know about my holes in the unit. Loaded with bulls and I have 2 weeks to fill my tag and help my partners.

This season I’m going the extra mile too. Buying a spike tent and maximizing my time in the right places. Also expanding my horizons a bit. It’s not looking good for the elk!

09-Dec-18
Very likely you will draw. Little point creep.

14-Dec-18

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo

GregE's Link
MP, sounds like a solid plan.

And the anticipation of the hunt is part of the fun

I went to Wyoming for archery in Sep and rifle in Nov- 21 days hunting total and No elk rode home with me. Still it was a great time in a beautiful area. Nov story and pics linked

14-Dec-18

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
I spent 5 days in Wyoming this last September helping my buddy with his mule deer tag. I did not have a tag. What a great trip! Will never forget it. I had a blast glassing up deer, helping him out and making it a good hunt. If your buddy is a close friend and it sounds like he is, he will have a great trip helping you out and what comes around goes around. Good hunting partners are hard to come by. If he feels like I do, he'll be just as pumped to be carrying your elks quarters out as if he shot it.

14-Dec-18

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
Good luck in the Draws!

• Sitka Gear