dirtclod Az. 11-Dec-18
Bowbender 12-Dec-18
Rut Nut 12-Dec-18
Twinetickler 12-Dec-18
Snag 12-Dec-18
dirtclod Az. 12-Dec-18
oldrecurveman 15-Dec-18
06-Dec-18
Looks like dicks will be closing field and stream stores due to their stance on gun control. Maybe this will turn other business heads to leave our 2nd amendment.

06-Dec-18
One thing they all need to know is we don`t have a short memory. Some people still patronize a business and a dust up.....not me. You don`t support me I don`t support you in ANY way and I do not forget.

06-Dec-18
Was in one of their stores last weekend and they had a good price on something i wanted. Did not buy because of their gun policy.

06-Dec-18
A bag of

06-Dec-18
...in a box

06-Dec-18
Dicks 2nd amendment stance........ another stupid corporate decision that will result in lost jobs by their employees.

06-Dec-18
another reason I started buying from mom and pop stores. I just have to haggle and shop for comparable prices.

06-Dec-18
Just remeber, their revenues are still ok and they are really just adapting to their new business model and customer base needs. This was a business decision and a bunch of old white conservative guys really aren't going to kill their business...

06-Dec-18
Scheels

06-Dec-18
used to shop at Dick's till they started on their path to undermine the constitution. Have not been back since.

07-Dec-18
Yeah they are!

07-Dec-18
Dickless.

Hunt you cracked me up brother. Lmfao

07-Dec-18
Big Field and Stream store in the Harrisburg PA area. Parking lot ALWAYS empty.

07-Dec-18
Yes,Scheels.A study in opposites.

07-Dec-18
HDE...... If they close Field and Stream stores...... it will kill that business.....

07-Dec-18
For the first 6 months after opening the closest store to me, their stock of college gear was mostly Alabama and the in State rival 110 miles away and not the SEC town the store opened in.......

Their stance probably saved several really good mom and pop operations I worried about when Dicks opened.....frankly glad they did that.

07-Dec-18
we will have them shut down or acquired in 18 months. we are bowhunters hear us ROAR!

07-Dec-18
The small amount of money they lost from me going elsewhere doesn't mean much to them. But I feel good and my money can support someone else. Other suppliers have been getting my money since Newtown.

07-Dec-18
They just opened a new F&S store in the Wilkesbarre, PA area. Never been in it, but from what I hear is has the same stuff as Dick's. I think some were hoping it would be more like Cabelas or even Gander Mtn, but not.

But I don't get it- if it is an off-shoot of Dick's, how is it gonna hurt Dick's if they shut down? THey'll just move all the stock that were in the F&S stores into Dick's.

07-Dec-18
Catscratch + 1.

I'm at ground zero for gun issues, here in CT. I haven't given them a dime in years. I mostly used to get skeet ammo when it was on sale, would grab sets of climbing sticks when they'd blow them out at $39, and would grab closeout camo.

I DID buy a Benelli super black eagle there when they had a pricing error.. I support my local Mom & pop shops, but couldn't pass up a chance to save myself $700. The irony - the one they had in the Milford store was in the system as SOLD - but it had been returned. When they went to call in for transfer authorization, they ran into a small glitch. I ended up having to go to the next local location (maybe a 30 minute drive)to get mine, where they honored the pricing error.

So their record keeping for firearms is suspect.

They aren't missing my business, but I won't support them.

07-Dec-18
"used to shop at Dick's till they started on their path to undermine the constitution"

How, exactly, does a store selling or not selling guns 'undermine the constitution'? Do you tell your grocery store/barber that you won't give them your business because they don't sell guns (undermining the constitution)?

Shop or don't shop anywhere you guys like for whatever reason you like (I don't shop at Dicks because they carry crappy hunting and fishing stuff at high prices). This isn't a 2A or constitution argument. (Now, if the government said that Dicks cannot sell guns, then you would have a valid argument.) Businesses can sell/not sell anything they want. People/hunters can buy/not buy anywhere they want. Constitution hasn't changed.

07-Dec-18
Multiple sources indicate that Dicks is actively lobbying against the sale of firearms to law-abiding citizens. Keep burying your head in the sand.

07-Dec-18
Bou....sounds like a business plan. An employee owned hunting / fishing store. Somebody with a good business sense on here, should be able to make that happen.

I drive by a Dick’s store most everyday (Uniontown, Pa.) and I swear, I don’t know how the hell they stay open. There is hardly a car in the lot, ever. I used to spend a lot of cash there, never again.

07-Dec-18
I quit going there when they quit selling a line of camo clothing because the tags had scripture written on them. Petty to some I'm sure, but to me that was BS.

07-Dec-18
Bou....sounds like a business plan. An employee owned hunting / fishing store. Somebody with a good business sense on here, should be able to make that happen.

I drive by a Dick’s store most everyday (Uniontown, Pa.) and I swear, I don’t know how the hell they stay open. There is hardly a car in the lot, ever. I used to spend a lot of cash there, never again.

07-Dec-18
I agree Amoebus. Why didn't they pull all guns and ammo out of stores if they want to lobby against the sale of firearms to law-abiding citizens? Wouldn't a store that is against the 2A and trying to lobby against the sale of firearms to law-abiding citizens pull everything related to shooting sports? Am I missing something? They made a knee-jerk business decision that pissed a lot of sportsmen and law-abiding gun owners off big time. I don't typically shop there and have no affiliation with them, but don't have a problem with anyone that does or doesn't shop there and I certainly don't think that they are undermining the constitution being a private business that can decide what to sell or what not to sell.

07-Dec-18
“How, exactly, does a store selling or not selling guns 'undermine the constitution'?”

It doesn’t. However when they retain gun control advocates to push for additional gun control measures, THAT does. I choose not to patronize a store that that actively works against the 2A.

07-Dec-18
I used to go there because it was next to Whole Foods, and the wife liked going to Whole Foods. I can only ever remember buying a few boxes of .22 amo for a good price during the Obummer shortage. I also once bought a spreader/hanger on clearance. Few people in the store, no line at cashier either. Whole Foods moved and I haven't been in there since, even before they started their anti 2A shit.

07-Dec-18

midwest's Link
I don't care if a store decides to restrict it's gun sales anyway they see fit. It's when they hire gun control lobbyists that they step over the line for me. Duck Fick's.

07-Dec-18
I see now, thanks Midwest. Although I assume that if Dicks just made an internal business decision to stop selling assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines without the lobbying, many here would still not support them.

07-Dec-18

samman's embedded Photo
samman's embedded Photo
I wouldn't say they are hurting too much. My company makes mannequins & store displays. Dicks is one of our bigger customers & just gearing up for a roll out of new product. Irks me to no end when I have to work on one of their projects. At least we supply for Scheels, Cabela's, Bass Pro. Best project was the life size Fred Bear statue we made for the Cabela's in Michigan. Mostly 3D printed, but the bow string & arrows are from my collection.

07-Dec-18
"Although I assume that if Dicks just made an internal business decision to stop selling assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines without the lobbying, many here would still not support them. "

What is the point of that statement? You said above you didn't care who did or didn't support them? Based on my post being 4 above yours, which you ignored, I'm assuming you are just looking for justification to keep burying your head in the sand as well.

07-Dec-18
That's pretty cool, samman!

07-Dec-18
Just read in the news they're ceasing selling ALL HUNTING equipment, not just guns. Who cares, never went there anyway..

07-Dec-18
Thanks midwest, it did come out cool. Hopefully we get more projects like that.

07-Dec-18
No Franzen, didn't ignore your post, in fact I mentioned exactly what you wrote about "actively lobbying against the sale of firearms to law-abiding citizens". My point from what Midwest mentioned when he said that they crossed the line once they hired lobbyists. I can understand that. Just wondering if anyone would have supported them otherwise if they pulled certain firearms and high-capacity magazines as an internal business decision without the lobbying. That is all.

As I indicated in my initial post, how can they be actively lobbying against the sale of firearms to law-abiding citizens or against the 2A when they are still selling firearms and ammo? You are using firearms as a blanket statement. I know some that are hardcore gun guys that don't give a rats ass what others think and they tend to hurt our cause with that attitude when discussing the subject to others that don't understand. I also know and work with many that just don't understand and after these shootings they question why these "assault-style" weapons are not banned. I try to educate them on the importance and use of these weapons, I show them different shooting sports competitions and even hunting situations and 9 times out of 10 they understand where I am coming from.

07-Dec-18
That Fred Bear statue is GREAT! Good job. I did pull support from Dicks when they stopped carrying AR's. I don't get the grocery store analogy. It's not about who carries what, it's about pulling a product to make a statement. There is no expectation of a grocery store to carry guns. There is an expectation for them to carry steak. I raise cattle and if our local grocery store went "animal free" in an alliance with peta I would gladly stop spending money their. Dicks is making a statement right now and I am simply responding though action. I'll spend my money with a company more aligned with my interests.

07-Dec-18
toby

"I also know and work with many that just don't understand and after these shootings they question why these "assault-style" weapons are not banned."

If you want to educate, the first thing to stop doing is referring to AR's as "assault style" weapons. WTF is an "assault style weapon"? Oh, it's just like every other semi-auto rifle except it's sceeeery. When the media starts to refer to your scoped deer rifle as a "sniper style" weapon are you going to add that to your lexicon as well.

07-Dec-18
toby, are you saying you don't understand the definition of the word lobbying? There is no difference between my post and midwest's other than he posted a link.

07-Dec-18
Scheels: Nearest one is 90 miles away. I stopped in and looked at a Franchi Affinty for a present. I wanted to handle the gun. I told the guy that the price at an "on-line store" was $200.00 cheaper. He stated that they would match the price if they could verify the price. Came back a couple minutes later and stated the guy was mine for the "on-line" price. Very nice store and nice people.

07-Dec-18
Bowbender, I agree. That is why I put assault-style weapon in quotes. One of the first things I tell people is that the only difference from my semi-auto with what the media refers to as assault weapon is the stock. Not many know its just the stock.

Franzen, I'll just leave it at this and say that I know what lobbying is and I know that there is no difference in what you and Midwest are saying with regards to lobbying and boycotting Dicks.

07-Dec-18
BIG BEAR - I posted in light of the many discussions about this sort of thing on the CF, I thought this thread was there when I opened it, otherwise I would not have even posted...

Need to check better next time.

07-Dec-18
I truly believe this was not really a political move when you boil it down. In other words they decided that canning a significant business segment was less costly than risking a boycott from soccer moms for continuing to sell semi auto rifles. C-suite management made a business decision. The lobbying thing I just saw as extension of that via PR. Hunting equipment and F&S were doomed from the moment they made that decision and they had to know that. Not sure what to make of that. In the end it probably just moves more market share away from a corporate retailer and into the hands of local business which I don't see as all that bad a thing.

07-Dec-18
It’s all about numbers and hunters are decreasing as youth sports is booming!

07-Dec-18
In Texas we have Academy and they beat Dick's coming and going on price and inventory in guns, ammo and sporting goods. It made the decision to never buy anything from Dick's very easy. They have the right to sell or not sell whatever they want but I also have the right to never spend another penny in a store that I believe caved to cultural pressure. There was a great article that I read recently that discussed how the finance/banking groups are putting the squeeze on corporate America to tow the line on progressive social agendas such as gun sales. We need to support companies that don't cave - and let them know we support them. We also need pro 2A finance/banking groups that will support pro 2A businesses.

07-Dec-18
The CEO states that they have not lost any profit but is considering closing all 18 stores. He sounds like a lying mumbling stuttering idiot as he says they will be selling other things but not really sure yet but maybe we will close F&S stores wow! I’m sure the stock holders were pleased with that article. And for those of you who say your money ain’t gonna hurt them multiply that by thousands of people. I’m sure hunters also golf and play other sports and also have kids that play sports as well.

07-Dec-18
^^^ My goodness we spend money on the kids! Sports can break a family.

07-Dec-18
Mr stack ought to be ashamed of himself for taking a very successful business that his family built and left in his hands to run and he's running it in the ground. He has turned on the folks who supported them and what he also forgot was that most gun owners also fish, and play golf etc... I have not and will not step foot in a dicks store and the bleeding will continue.

11-Dec-18
Don't lie most of you live Dicks!! Honestly I was in a Field and Stream last night and the employees are clueless as to what is going on!! Shawn

11-Dec-18
Dicks?... no thanks.

11-Dec-18
Open Cabelas stores?Bass Pro shops is killing that ideal...

12-Dec-18
Or maybe it's like a discount furniture store in my area....They've been running "going out of business" sales for the last twenty years to generate business.

12-Dec-18
I think this part of JTV's link is very telling:

"Additionally, Dick’s followed its decision to quit selling commonly owned semiautomatic rifles by destroying the unsold rifles in stock, rather than sending them back to the manufacturer. They did the same thing with “high capacity” magazines in their inventory. And on August 31, Breitbart News reported that Dick’s would begin removing “hunt products” from certain stores."

This would seem to support the notion that they are catering to the "soccer moms" and gun control advocates/liberals.

12-Dec-18
I ordered some Buck Bombs from them on a Flash sale about a week ago. I just got an email saying they canceled my order because they don't have them in stock. I think their name says it all. I'm done with them.

12-Dec-18
They don’t usually have but 3 or 4 cars in the lot here in Eugene, Oregon. When it was a G. I. Joe’s they were busy all the time.

12-Dec-18
Sportsmans can usually get you what you want.Than stock up.That reminds me low on .306 ammo!

15-Dec-18
I have lived near the original Dick's store(s) in Binghamton & Vestal, NY for many years. Back in the 70's they were great places for actual hunting & fishing items with good quantities & reasonable prices. They always had sales people that actually knew what they were selling & frequently had special sales on items during peak times of the fishing & hunting seasons. However, in recent years they have grown very large & expanded to many stores with little emphasis on actual hunting & fishing items. They seem to mostly cater to high-end gear for runners, golfers, youth sports, etc.. with stores filled with clothing & shoes. Their prices are very high, & sales people are usually young, aggressive sports addicts with large egos. Their chain of Field & Stream stores has a great selection of hunting & fishing items, but are usually over priced. I really hate seeing how this store has evolved over the years. Many will probably chastise me for saying it, but I buy many of the items I want / need today on EBAY. I can shop from home, it is delivered to my home, & many times the shipping is free. I usually check the seller's feedback rating & have only been burned once in over 750 transactions. If there were some local sporting goods shops nearby that had a good selection of items at reasonable prices, I would shop at them, but that is just not the case with me.

• Sitka Gear