Ermine 07-Dec-18
Franklin 07-Dec-18
greg simon 07-Dec-18
IdyllwildArcher 07-Dec-18
Ben 07-Dec-18
Jims 08-Dec-18
Nick Muche 08-Dec-18
07-Dec-18
If you were to buy uninsulated rain gear to keep in your pack, would you get it to fit over your main coat or take your main coat off and just wear rain gear? Sounds dumb I just cant decide

07-Dec-18
I hunt mainly in Wisconsin. I bought my rain gear to fit over my warm clothing & have not regretted this decision.

07-Dec-18
Always buy rain gear a size bigger Imo

07-Dec-18
Sitka rain gear is nice. I use the dewpoint. Feather lite easy to carry in my pack

07-Dec-18
You can always wear baggy rain gear if you don`t wear anything under it but you can`t wear too small of rain gear if you do. Bigger is better.

07-Dec-18
Most rain gear is sized to be worn over clothing.

07-Dec-18

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Rain gear, even the best breathable rain gear, is hot. If it’s raining, you don’t need much else underneath. If you’re moving, you’ll be hot no matter what. If you’re sitting still, you can get cold, but I can’t imagine having a puffy on under rain gear while it’s raining and I run cold.

In the Brooks and on Kodiak, I never had more than a base layer on under my raingear and that included some long glassing sessions in the wind and always in 35-55 degree whether.

While hiking, I’ve opted to get wet instead of hike with rain gear on.

This is why I love the elk mountain gear decoy so much. The elk mountains are too hot to wear rain gear and run-and-gun elk. Rain gear is for sitting still unless you’re walking downhill in the dark.

07-Dec-18
Funny you ask this question, I wear my rain gear more when it is dry and windy than when it is raining. Rain gear over your hunting clothes when it is windy is so much warmer. I rarely hunt when it is raining as it washes away blood trails so quickly. A light mist, yes and a heavy snow with wind are great times to hunt though and the rain gear is great then.

08-Dec-18
Similar to all my other layers it's possible to add/subtract layers depending upon temperatures and how active I am. I usually strip a lot of layers off while hiking to prevent getting wet from the inside-out. I'm amazed that no one has mentioned pitzips. I would never buy a rain jacket without them! Another thing I often do if I'm warm is to untuck my shirts from my pants and unzip or unbutton my tops to allow air flow and ventilation.

08-Dec-18
Rain gear is also pretty helpful when walking through wet brush. Aside from that I agree with Ike.

• Sitka Gear