elkmtngear 10-Dec-18
smarba 10-Dec-18
kota-man 10-Dec-18
kota-man 10-Dec-18
smarba 10-Dec-18
kota-man 10-Dec-18
elkmtngear 10-Dec-18
07-Dec-18
Ok guys, looking for opinions on the warmest base layer. Currently have under armour and I think it sucks, does not keep me warm so I need new stuff, let's hear it.

08-Dec-18
Merino wool X2. A Cabelas polar fleece layer over that for sedentary activities works great for me.

08-Dec-18
Merino:)

08-Dec-18
^^ what they said - merino is what you need

08-Dec-18
Yep

08-Dec-18
I agree I have a union suit that is poly but lined with Merino, my wife bought it for me close to 30 years ago. It is by far the warmest under layer I have. It is getting worn out and they have not made anything lime it for 20 years. I believe she paid 129 bucks way back than for it. Shawn

08-Dec-18
Depends. If your active I think Merino is the way to go for base layers. Wool Power, ice breaker and smart wool make some great stuff. However for stationary situations I would go with grid fleece base like Sitka core heavy weight or Patagonia R1. Sometimes I run a light weight Merino under a polartec grid fleece. Warmth per weight synthetics are king.

08-Dec-18
I always go merino wool on the bottom with synthetics over it. Have for decades. Works great.

09-Dec-18
X2 as Shawn.....I have 2 of those but for the life of me I can`t remember the name. Luckily mine are still like brand new....too damn hot to wear usually.

09-Dec-18
Im going to look into the SmartWool brand

09-Dec-18
I love merino, its so much better than the other stuff I've tried

09-Dec-18
Merino is a great material. Make sure you are not getting a blend with something else. Then determine how heavy the fabric is, lastly look at the weave (construction). Black ovis has a selection of merino in I think 3 weights all with a tight construction. Merino seems to excel with activity and that is why the lighter the better.

09-Dec-18
Well, I'm going to tell you something completely different. IT depends on the weather and how I'm hunting as to what I am going to wear as a baselayer.

If it is cold and, If you are going to get sweaty, merino wool is not the answer for me. Merino does NOT dry well. At all. I agree it regulates and breathes by far the best but, if you are wearing a pack, you are going to get sweaty if you are active. Merino will freeze you like that. Not like cotton but, you take a long time to dry wearing it. And when damp it advertises staying warm. It does to a point. But, when its 20 degrees and the wind is blowing, damp means cold whether you have a wind layer on or not.

Polyester seems the best compromise to me in this instance. In November, it gets cold where I hunt. Like teens and single digits at night and highs in the 20's during the day. I have to walk a long ways in steep, cut up terrain. EVERYONE is going to sweat in this. Especially when wearing a back pack. It's cold enough you have to wear some layers. So, its going to happen. If I'm not carrying a change, I wear the polyester baselayers. Once I get to where I'm waiting to start the day and drop the pack, I cool down to normal temps then add my layers. It generates a lot of heat that dries the baselayer very quickly. Within 20 minutes or so, there is no damp where the pack sweated me and I am toasty warm.

The only way I'll wear Merino doing this is if I'm packing a change in my pack.

Polypro is very warm but for me, it is so much warmer per weight, it just makes me sweat more. So, I only use it when going short distances when wearing a meat packing back pack is not necessary.

If its not going to be chilly, I prefer the merino. It is much more comfortable and, it does breath and regulate body temps much better. But, not everything is September back country elk hunting. So, you gotta decide how you are going to be using the baselayer, if you intend to carry a change out, and the temps that you'll be using them in. Merino is great until you get sweaty in cold weather. So, I often pack an extra top when it is because wet means cold.

09-Dec-18
I know some of the companies selling merino have come out with some heavier garments, but for pure warmth my experience has been better with other base layers. I have Cabelas ECWCS and MTP polar weight systems that are much warmer than the merino I have. Unfortunately, I think the quality of those items has likely gone way down hill. I've heard the stand hunter set from Cabelas was awesome too, but I'm not sure it is made any longer.

09-Dec-18
Woolpower used to be ulfrotte is great have some I have used for 30 years good luck Lewis

09-Dec-18

09-Dec-18
Justin is right. If you not mixing synthetics in your missing out. Merino isnt the end all despite how it was marketed and quite frankly hunters brain washed. I see guys doubling up on merino layers and just shake my head.

09-Dec-18
If it is touching my skin . It is Merino of some kind hot or cold . Weight of garment depends on temperature. I will add Woolpower garments as it gets colder . Been doing this for 30 years you can not beat this system. Synthetic is ok on out side , but not next to skin .

09-Dec-18
I use polypropylene long underwear that was issued to me while in the Army. I have some lightweight pairs that I wear in the early season and some medium-weight pairs that I wear when it gets colder. I walk in just wearing the long underwear and carry the rest of my clothes in my pack. When its cold, I put on a field jacket liner, field pants liner (think Korean War) and then an insulated camouflage coverall that I bought at Fleet Farm. Nice and toasty and inexpensive. Maybe check out the Army/Navy surplus store for some warm gear.

10-Dec-18
Same as Franzen that cabelas ECWCS is awesome

10-Dec-18
Love the various Sitka base layers. Can select from Core Lightweight to Core Heavyweight. They all breathe/wick/dry well. The Core Lightweight Hoody has become my go-to whether hot or cold weather. The hood keeps the sun off my neck but not overly hot, it also keeps the chill off when it's cool out. Very versatile piece.

10-Dec-18
Early season I'm NOT a fan of merino because it takes so long to dry. I prefer Sitka Core Base early season, Merino late season.

10-Dec-18
Can't stand the stink of synthetics, after just a couple of days.

Merino for me as well.

10-Dec-18
The Sitka base layers use Polygiene, which is AMAZING for no funk...

10-Dec-18
elk...Have you tried the Sitka Polygiene synthetics? I wore two Polgiene Synthetics everyday on a 17 day early season Stone Sheep hunt with no "funk". While not as odor free as merino, the "stink" is not bad at all. Much better than traditional synthetics.

10-Dec-18
Great minds think alike once again Smarba! ;)

10-Dec-18
Kota: I haven't worn mine straight on a hunt like that, but I began experimenting with my base SS shirt and not washing it between hunts during spring turkey season. Granted I wasn't working up a major sweat, but NM turkey hunting is a lot of going & bowing, not just riding a ranger to a popup blind. I basically wore my base layer so many times I lost track and finally washed it simply because it was getting dirty, not smelly.

I used to take 3-4 base SS shirts elk hunting and rotate through them during Sept hot archery season here in NM; now I just wear the same one no problem.

10-Dec-18
Mine was SOAKED with sweat pretty much every day on my Stone hunt. After 17 days, there was very little odor. I can't wear an Under Armour Synthetic two days in a row!

10-Dec-18
"elk...Have you tried the Sitka Polygiene synthetics"?

I see they treat with Silver...I have a Synthetic Shirt that is Silver-treated (Not sure of the Brand), doesn't work worth a damn.

Apparently they must have made some breakthroughs in that technology?

• Sitka Gear