Inshart 10-Dec-18
Bou'bound 10-Dec-18
JAbbott 10-Dec-18
tobywon 10-Dec-18
Treeline 10-Dec-18
Lost Arra 11-Dec-18
APauls 11-Dec-18
09-Dec-18
Just ordered my first pressure cooker and it should be in by mid week and would like some simple recipes for roasts, back straps and steaks or a good pressure cooker book of deer recipes would be even better. Thanks, Art.

09-Dec-18
Keep the loins away from the pressure cooker!!!!

I made elk stroganoff tonight. Holllllly eff!!!! My kids all had seconds. And they eat like small birds.

10-Dec-18
Add a sous vide cooker to your arsenal for back straps and steaks.

10-Dec-18
Simplest recipe ever. Roast (whatever size you want) - mix beef broth with packet of Lipton onion soup mix (enough liquid to cover the roast). 2 hours in cooker - the roast will simply fall apart into slivers - X-large roast, add 30 minutes or so. (I've used a roast that was frozen and left it for 3 hours) Remove, strain liquid and make gravy with it. Make potatoes, carrots and caramelize couple large onions. Great, yet simple meal.

Or; as mentioned above - make it into stroganoff - over "bow tie" noodles.

10-Dec-18
Any pictures of the servings would be great.

10-Dec-18
If you log onto the William Sonoma web sit you can find a recipe for 20 min stew, just substitute what ever you have for beef. It’s outstanding..... If you can’t find it lets me know and I will email a copy..

10-Dec-18
A tough cut of meat, some beef broth and onions is all I start with. Same with turkey legs and thighs with chicken broth and onions. From there you can make whatever such as stew, turkey pot pie or whatever you like. I've made a few mistakes like cooking meat with vegetables (different cook times) and not cooking meat long enough. Meat will cook fast in the instant pot, but sometimes you need more to break down the tougher cuts. I took a venison neck roast out yesterday and my wife put it in the instant pot on the meat setting which was 20 minutes. The meat was cooked and tasted good, but it just wasnt enough time to break down the connective tissue. I put it back in for another 20 and it was better, but initially should have put in for an hour. Smaller pieces of meat will be quicker. Have fun and enjoy, you won't regret.

10-Dec-18
Back straps and steaks are for the grill, man! As a Texican, I have to run some steaks through the tenderizer for the chicken fried steak but that’s limited to top round and a couple other tendony muscles.

I saved lots of tough parts of my elk last year and this that are specifically for pressure cooking - shanks, neck roasts, brisket, etc. that I would normally grind. After cooking deer shanks a while back in the smoker and then in a cast iron that turned out amazing I can’t wait to try the pressure cooker!

11-Dec-18
I'm not wild on boiled meat whether it's pressure cooker or slow cooker. BUT I did use my wife's Instant Pot to do a good elk roast. I cooked 4 strips of chopped bacon and large onion chunks. Seared the roast in the bacon grease. Wine to deglaze pan, added broth. Pressure cook roast for 45 min. Added back the bacon, onions and large chunks of carrots, can of Rotel, half cup worcestershire sauce. Slow cooked on high which isn't very high on an Instant Pot for 3.5 hours basically a braise. Roast was fork tender served over mashed potatoes. I would do it again.

11-Dec-18
Throw in any super tough piece of meat that you'd normally throw to the birds, cook for 30-50 minutes depending what it is, remove, toss corn starch in the drippings. Serve over Mashed potatoes, rice, whatever.

Whole chicken, season, 20 minutes Instant Pot time. I like to add some Paprika or use Montreal chicken so it doesn't look anemic. remove, make gravy.

Stew - meat cook 25 minutes, add veggies/taters, another 10 minutes, done.

• Sitka Gear