jmiller's embedded Photo
Red fox and mink
jmiller's embedded Photo
Red fox and mink
jmiller's embedded Photo
Fisher that was released
jmiller's embedded Photo
Fisher that was released
In addition to bowhunting, I like to run some short trap lines in the countryside around where I reside in North Dakota. So far this year I've had a nice mixed bag haul. 2 beaver, 3 raccoon, 1 red fox, 1 mink, and a fisher I caught 3 days after the season closed and I had to release. My 3 daughters love trapping with me.

11-Dec-18

jmiller's embedded Photo
Raccoon
jmiller's embedded Photo
Raccoon
jmiller's embedded Photo
Mink
jmiller's embedded Photo
Mink
jmiller's embedded Photo
My 2 oldest and red fox and mink
jmiller's embedded Photo
My 2 oldest and red fox and mink

11-Dec-18
Awesome. Fisher is my #1 favorite animal to trap. Great job getting the kids outside enjoying life!!

11-Dec-18
Great pics. Glad the youngsters are involved.

11-Dec-18
Awesome!

Great job parenting right there!

Mark

11-Dec-18
Used to trap with my dad when I was younger and then took over those duties when I got my drivers license. Due to school and work obligations I had to get up every morning between 4:00 and 4:30 AM to check traps. That usually lasted for a few weeks before I simply crashed due to lack of sleep. It was hard work, but I sure do miss running a trapline.

Thanks for sharing and more importantly, thanks for including your girls!

Keep us posted on how the rest of the season goes.

11-Dec-18
Awesome Jeff!

11-Dec-18
Yeah the girls make it so fun. My oldest will be 10 in January and I'm getting her a bow. She's wanting to bowhunt next fall. I guarantee a few tears will be shed by her ol' dad when she harvests that first deer.

11-Dec-18
How in the world do you release a fisher;they are pretty nasty.

11-Dec-18
^^^my thoughts exactly.....nice work and great to see the kids out there with you

11-Dec-18
To release non-target animals, I use a 4x4 piece of plywood. I put it over the trapped foot and open the jaws. The fisher tore off like greased lighting. I did have a small raccoon a few years ago try to crawl up the board. Always interesting releasing animals.

11-Dec-18
Holy cow, I don't feel like a fraidy cat, but releasing a fisher would give me pucker factor for sure. Sweet pics!

11-Dec-18
Great job. Thanks for sharing.

11-Dec-18

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Slowed up with the cold snap. Market has been tough since the collapse of the Russian nose warmer fad.

11-Dec-18
Thank you for the pictures. I always support trappers and trapping.

15-Dec-18

15-Dec-18
Love the pics, Jeff! Some very special quality time with those little cutie pies! Brings back some great memories of trapping when I was a kid. Are the reds pretty plentiful in your area? Any grey fox?

One suggestion........Next time you catch a fisher, be sure and video it! ;-) Watched a YouTube video of a guy releasing a bobcat. Best part of the video was watching the cat launch himself off the top of the guy’s head!

15-Dec-18
Jeff, what section of Nodak do you live in? I grew up sixty miles east of Fargo in the lake area, and we have quite a few fishers on the home place.

Huntcell, if you eat what you kill, try deep fat frying at about 500 degrees. Nasty little creatures.

15-Dec-18
Still trying for my first Coon. Coyotes are really smelly.dirclod Az.

16-Dec-18
MarkU I live 25 miles southwest of Fargo. Red fox are becoming more common, with coyotes further west predominanting. No grey fox around here. It's a wonderful place to live.

16-Dec-18

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Warmer weather had a big boar coon moving last night. Resetting at a new farm this week to try to take advantage of the warmer weather.

16-Dec-18
Jeff- How do you keep your dryland sets (Fox and coon) from freezing with snow on the ground? Especially with weather that we are having now? (Slightly above freezing during the day and teens at night) Trapping along river banks with frozen clay? To me it seems tough to have a dry trap bed which will reliable snap when you finally get a critter to step on the pan.

16-Dec-18

jmiller's embedded Photo
Hay set
jmiller's embedded Photo
Hay set
Brian For fox I am using hay sets. 2 traps on both sides of a small pile of hay, bedded in hay. Urine and gland for attractent. The hardest part is pounding the stake in the frozen ground. For coon I'm running dog proof traps with a golf ball on top to keep moisture out. It's not perfect but works pretty good this time of year.

16-Dec-18
Enjoyed your trapping thread especially with the kids.I trap some,releasing non target animals is always interesting,some of mine have been cows,deer,and javelina here in Arizona.

16-Dec-18
Really enjoyed the pictures. Nice job with the trapping and getting the kids involved in the outdoors!

• Sitka Gear