McCree 19-Dec-18
12yards 19-Dec-18
Bou'bound 19-Dec-18
Trial153 19-Dec-18
SixLomaz 19-Dec-18
shorty 19-Dec-18
carcus 20-Dec-18
11-Dec-18
After lots of testing a research I finally pulled the trigger on a new bow setup last night. It's been several years, 2007, since I bought a new bow. Unfortunately I did inherit a 2011 Hoyt from my brother in 2012 if that counts. Anyway, I decided on a 70lb Bowtech Realm X in Kryptic Altitude, Vaportrail Limb Driver Pro, Black Gold Ascent Whitetail 3-pin sight and a Tight Spot 5-arrow quiver in Kryptic Altitude. I'll be shooting Full Metal Jackets, either 320's or 300's. My goal is a 425-440 grain arrow. I know most probably don't care but I'm pretty excited about getting this setup and tuned in!

11-Dec-18
Sounds like a nice rig! FYI...if you shoot FMJ's your arrow will be heavier than 440 unless it's very short. This is a good thing!

11-Dec-18
I'm leaning towards the new 6mm FMJ's but we will see how they shoot. Maxima Reds are my other option. Heavier than 440 is fine with me.

11-Dec-18
Stick with the 5mm FMJ's, the 6mm don't give you much IMO McCree.

11-Dec-18
Nice!

11-Dec-18
X2 on the "nice". Feels like Christmas when you were a kid!

11-Dec-18
Sounds nice! And expensive! LOL. Always fun to get a new bow.

And Brotzky, what is wrong with the 6mm. Curious.

11-Dec-18
Great set up. I just went to a Realm X myself. Loving it so far.

11-Dec-18
Hi When you are setting up your new bow do yourself a favor bottom out your limb bolts, now back the out till you reach the poundage you wish to shoot. Back each bolt out evenly and once you have your desired pull weight take the bottom bolt out 1/2 turn more. This will not effect your draw weight but will make your set up much easier trust me I have done this for over 15 years now and it works extremely well with PSE and Bowtech bows! Congrats great purchase, enjoy!! Above all stay well.

11-Dec-18
And Brotzky, what is wrong with the 6mm. Curious.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. It's been my experience that the slimmer shaft of the 5mm performs better in the wind and gives you slight advantages in penetration over other thicker shafts. Using the 6mm shaft puts you in the ballpark of the diameter of most carbon arrows. Now all you have with the 6mm is a slightly heavier carbon arrow that bends. There are other micro diameter shafts out there as well in carbon that are excellent, I just don't see the niche for the 6mm. They are a nice shaft and there's nothing wrong with them, I just don't see what benefit they provide.

11-Dec-18
Cool, are you going to wrap it up and put it under the tree and wait till x-mas morning to play with it?

11-Dec-18
Ok Brotsky got it. I honestly like all carbon shafts better anyways for the very reason anything aluminum can bend. When I switched over from aluminum to carbon 10 years ago I wondered why it took me so long to go to carbon. Way more durable for me.

19-Dec-18
Update...got everything setup and tuned. I'm shooting 70lbs @ 29". I did end up with the 6mm FMJ. I was going to stick with Maximas but couldn't get the weight I wanted and stay with a 100 grain head. I ended up with 450 grain arrows flying 280 fps. This equates to approximately 79 foot lbs of kinetic energy. So far I'm very happy with the overall setup, it shoots great!

19-Dec-18
Should be deadly!

19-Dec-18
You runnin’ A stabilizer on that rig?

19-Dec-18
Great, good luck with her.

19-Dec-18
Did you get a forest man purse to go with it?

19-Dec-18
You made a good selection on your bow choice. I bought a Bowtech Reign 6 in 70lbs last year and was so impressed that I ordered another only in 60lbs. They are great bows and you can adjust the draw length without having to purchase new modules. This makes life easier if you decide to sell your bow years down the road.

20-Dec-18
I love my RealmX, I shot it in performance mode for the first few weeks then tried comfort, its staying in comfort, these bows have a little more hand shock than most other bows if that bothers you order and install a coolhandluke sting stop, its $30 and makes a noticeable difference. Coolhandluke can be found on fb or AT

• Sitka Gear