Scar Finga 19-Dec-18
BC173 19-Dec-18
Stringwacker 19-Dec-18
Scar Finga 19-Dec-18
Saphead 19-Dec-18
MarkU 19-Dec-18
Fuzzy 20-Dec-18
11-Dec-18
My son and I were in Iowa for the early muzzleloader season a friend showed me where Barry lived I had to go back and shake the hand of a legend. He opened the door and we were invited in we were there for an hour and a half. It was an experience of a lifetime talking bow hunting and whitetails. The man has done it all with a recurve he is the epitome of the sport. he gave me a video of the crooked hat chronicles it is a must see video for all bow hunters. He is in the process of releasing another video I can’t wait to watch it . I just wanted all the bow hunters to know what a kind and giving man he is.

11-Dec-18
Went on a hog/javelina hunt with the Wensel’s A couple years back. Easily one of the funnest trips ever! Great guys.

11-Dec-18
Wow, great experience! Those Wensel boys sure seem like a couple of class acts.

11-Dec-18
I’ve always heard nothing but great stories about them. They are a couple of guys who get it!

11-Dec-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Gene got a nice one this year. Barry was still at it, I read on the LW.

11-Dec-18
True legendary hunters.

The new “Crooked Hat” video compilation of footage old and new kept me spellbound through both DVDs.

11-Dec-18
I never met them, but they sure seem to have a good and respected reputation. I have seen their DVD's and have a book, enjoyed them all.

11-Dec-18
We had some ladies get up and leave our banquet because they were showing footage of blunting caribou.

11-Dec-18
I’ve been extremely fortunate to have met and shared hunting camp with both of them, coolest cats you could ever meet.

11-Dec-18
One of the highlights of my 48 years of whitetail seasons was attending Barry's boot camp. We also got to visit Gene and marvel over his collection of animals and other fascinating stuff. Got to see Woody and also saw the bison skull with the stone head lodged in it. I genuinely love those 2 guys. Their importance and influence on my cannot be overstated.

11-Dec-18
One of the highlights of my 48 years of whitetail seasons was attending Barry's boot camp. We also got to visit Gene and marvel over his collection of animals and other fascinating stuff. Got to see Woody and also saw the bison skull with the stone head lodged in it. I genuinely love those 2 guys. Their importance and influence on my cannot be overstated.

11-Dec-18
Neat a true brush with greatness

11-Dec-18
Even meeting them at show was fascinating. Great gentlemen!

11-Dec-18
Talked to Barry a few times at the Denton Hill trad shoot. Great hunts with a great sense of humor. His books are great reads.

11-Dec-18
Read all their books. Would love to meet them. You are lucky to have done so. Glad you enjoyed.

11-Dec-18
Read all their books. Would love to meet them. You are lucky to have done so. Glad you enjoyed.

11-Dec-18
Class acts and two of the all time greats!!

11-Dec-18
Thank you all for the kind words... except Keepemsharp/ Dave Easton. Not sure where you got your info from but you're totally 100% wrong. I'll try to keep this short and direct. First off, I'd really like to see this footage since I've never hunted caribou in my life. Never seen one, so how do you address that? I'm out. Additionally, "the ladies got up and left our banquet because they were blunting caribou". Please also explain the fact I've never done the Kansas Bowhunters Banquet either. I've done banquets all over the U.S. for many decades but never did Kansas that I remember, nor any Kansas Deer Classics or other KS functions. Do you actually believe we'd show blunting caribou to a audience at a state banquet? Come on Dave. I think an apology is in order. BW

11-Dec-18
Barry - as a teen in the early 90's... Bowhunting October Whitetails, the VHS tape :), was a gift from God supplied by my High School Fish and Game club. Thanks for helping stir up a passion for archery and bowhunting!

OP - you are a lucky guy!

11-Dec-18
BW one of the best I ever met and watched your career since the late 80s. Thank You for calling out Keepemsharp/ Dave Easton. Maybe he was at the Kavanaugh hearings too and couldn't remember the date, who was there, what was involved, etc..

11-Dec-18

ACB's embedded Photo
ACB's embedded Photo

12-Dec-18
I ordered 2 copies of The Crooked Hat Chronicles for my grandson and myself for xmas gifts hoping to get that kid hooked! Thanks Wensels for all you do.

12-Dec-18
I attended one of Barry's "Boot camps" a few years ago. Thankfully, there wasn't any pushups nor jogging involved beside informative walks in the woods. The things I learned are used each time I scout for deer. Thank you very much for your years of generosity in passing on the decades of experience you have to us students of whitetail deer.

The Wensel brothers are an inspiration to get out and learn whitetail deer lore.

My Christmas list texted to Santa contained a couple things I want. A few days ago a package was received from Iowa. Looking forward to the 25th!

12-Dec-18
A yearly tradition for my brother and I is to watch Bowhunting October Whitetails ! I just love the way he and his brother joke around and hunt together .

12-Dec-18
I don't recall the exact year a Wensel was at our banquet but it DID happen and really offended some of the folks there. The wife of a good friend of mine got up and walked out when the photos of blunts bouncing off caribou was on the screen.

12-Dec-18
Have all the books, and the movies-great educational pieces. I attended Barry's whitetail bootcamp couple years ago-really great information.

Congrats on the buck Gene, and good luck Barry!

12-Dec-18
I also have read much of their stuff, which was very helpful but also showed they are in a different league than I am. Congrats on the buck!

Dave, you changed "they" to "a Wensel" and "showing footage" to "photos". Might I suggest you remove both posts. I don't see how you help the KBA with recruitment leaving them up.

12-Dec-18
Barry & Gene are two of the greatest guys I have ever met. Got to spend some time with them at the P&Y convention when it was in Tulsa. They are fun to be around & are probably the best whitetail hunters on the planet.

12-Dec-18
I don't know how many times I rented Bowhunting October Whitetails, but it was a heck of a lot. Instrumental in creating my whitetail addiction.

12-Dec-18
I heard they were both kicked out of Africa for blunting lions and natives....( Kidding) Dave Easton ( cricket-cricket)

We had Gene speak at our UBNJ dinner some years back ...Top shelf!!

12-Dec-18
I remember renting the Bowhunting October Whitetails on VHS back in High School, I recently purchased it on dvd from Barry so I could show my son and some younger hunting partners. Its always a hit.

12-Dec-18

12-Dec-18
I've been friends with both Gene and Barry for many years, since the mid-1970's. I have heard all sorts of stories from both. I have never heard of them talking about shooting caribou with blunts. And I have never heard anyone talk about Barry hunting caribou. I will take Barry's word over Dave's any time. People take cheap shots at them for no apparent reason. Perhaps jealousy.

12-Dec-18
I've been on two caribou hunts in my life. On the first one only a couple caribou and no one in camp killed one except Paul Schafer. That hunt consisted of Paul Schafer, Doug Borland, Jim Emerson, Roger Rothhaar, Paul and Karen Brunner, myself and one other guy I can't recall. The second hunt produced caribou for everyone but no one had camcorders back then and no one blunted caribou as far as I know. You have the wrong guys. I've never done a Kansas Bowhunters banquet anyway either. Surely you remember someone else who was at that banquet. Gene Wensel

12-Dec-18
Just in!!! Dave Easton just private messaged me... he said he mistook Barry Wensel for Chuck Adams... his bad

12-Dec-18
"Just in!!! Dave Easton just private messaged me... he said he mistook Barry Wensel for Chuck Adams... his bad"

Ok, I'm sure we all see how that simple mistake could have happened.....

12-Dec-18
Talk about two of the best guys in the (dare I say) industry. Read their books and watched their videos, they only fuel my passion/obsession with chasing whitetails. And jealousy will follow close behind no doubt, only I’m jealous that Keith and many others of you got to sit and chat with a legend.

12-Dec-18
I attended one of Barry's camps about 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. He, and his wife, are as down to earth and gracious people as you could ever hope to meet. Part of the camp included some time at Barry's house with all of his trophies...and a few stories to go with them too. :) Good stuff!

I also met Gene once through a mutual friend and he too was a peach of a guy. Both are a real credit to the archery and hunting field.

12-Dec-18
In case anyone is interested, I am scheduled to speak at the Kalamazoo, MI traditional bowhunters show the last weekend in January; speaking all nine days of the NRA's Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA, Feb. 2-10th; the SD Bowhunters banquet Feb. 15-17th; and the Nebraska Bowhunters banquet March 1-2, 2019. Stop by and chat... but sorry I'll be talking about whitetails so there will be no caribou blunting footage. BW

12-Dec-18
The membership of the Nebr. Bow. Assoc. (NBA) is honored to have Barry as our next 2019 Banquet speaker next spring. If you're not already an NBA member, join now and come listen to the "Man". Barry will share his expertise and tell some great stories too, and he will be rather "blunt" (No Pun Intended) with it all. Years ago we had both Barry and Gene as speakers, and it was I believe, the largest attended banquet to date. I expect this Banquet to be a sell also. Looking forward to it.

12-Dec-18
I figured he was talkin' 'bout Jean and Berry Wenzel.

Pair them up with Pall Bunner and Ted Nugget and they were always a big draw.

With Lotts A. Mayhem. But I think Mayhem is doing insurance commercials these days.

12-Dec-18
"Just in!!! Dave Easton just private messaged me... he said he mistook Barry Wensel for Chuck Adams... his bad"

SO...is he drafting a public apology to Barry then?!?

12-Dec-18
Looking forward to hearing you at the NBA banquet and picking up a video, even if there is no caribou blunting.

12-Dec-18
Barry and Gene spoke at the MA Bowhunters Association banquet a number of years back and it was a great time. If you get the chance don't miss it, very informative and funny guys.

12-Dec-18
Come to KBA, Barry and Gene! I'd love to meet you guys. Matt Palmquist needs to make that happen. :)

As far as their books and videos, where can one pick them up at? I'm never too old to learn from others.

12-Dec-18
brothersofthebow.com

12-Dec-18
I was wondering in reading this thread when Keepemsharp was called on the carpet about Barry, if he was going to then blame Gene after Barry chimed in. He did, then Gene chimed in and called him on the carpet again. NOW who is he gonna blame for the video? So now it is Chuck Adams. HOW do you mistake Barry for Chuck Adams?? Barry has a more devious smile :'), and better looking. The list grows longer. DANNY

12-Dec-18
United Bow hunters of Connecticut had them both in Wallingford way back in the 80's. They did a whole evening on Africa. That was one fun night. They play off each other so well. Great to have meet true legends---Kent

12-Dec-18
Having met and followed Chuck for years and knowing his ethics, I seriously doubt it was Chuck Adams showing that "footage" or photo. Its quite easy to pick someone from the industry (that's not on here) and blame them......especially after putting your foot in your mouth once. You would think they would just shut their piehole.

12-Dec-18
Barry and Gene, first class in all regards!

I had to have hernia surgery back in June of this year, so I bought a copy of Bowhunting October Whitetails.

Like it so much, I watched it twice! Highly recommend!

Mark

12-Dec-18
Edited. Good morning!

12-Dec-18
Griz.... I’d lay some serious odds that you’re the only one that didn’t know I was making a joke... not a funny one granted ...but a joke all the same....and congratulations for having met Chuck Adams

“Having met and followed Chuck for years and knowing his ethics, I seriously doubt it was Chuck Adams showing that "footage" or photo. Its quite easy to pick someone from the industry (that's not on here) and blame them......especially after putting your foot in your mouth once. You would think they would just shut their piehole.”

12-Dec-18
Shug, sorry I missed that. My mistake.

12-Dec-18
I met the brothers Wensel some years ago at a seminar they did in CT. They were telling some of us that they grew up in CT (I was thinking to myself "oh yeah as if you two ever grew up").

I seem to recall that they told me that they had to move to Iowa because some upstart named Pat was killing all the big CT Whitetails, but my memory of the exact conversation is admittedly a bit fuzzy.

It was not long after that that I bought some of their broadheads. Mine were apparently defective because they never ever killed any deer bigger than about 100 inches, I wonder if it's too late for me to get my money back.

Edit: I feel kinda bad for Gene (I think he's the older brother). I may have to start another thread titled: "Gene Wensel, just as Great".

2nd Edit: Just got a PM from Barry, he said that to be truthful the other thread has to be called: "Gene Wensel, nearly as Great"

12-Dec-18
Another good read by Gene is Come November. Ace I believe you are correct as they did live in CT for a bit when they were young.

12-Dec-18
In the early 1990's The Brothers had a seminar in Springfield,Ohio. Only a handful of guys showed up. I had just started serious bow hunting . Wish I could attend one like that now. I was so green that it was Greek to me then , not that I know all that much now. All I really wanted then was to shoot deer with my bow. Have watched their videos and read some of their books. They are the top of my list. Real hunters doing real things . I have the up most respect for there abilities . When my buddy and I left the seminar ,we both agreed ,guys didn't know what they were missing ,by not attending .

12-Dec-18
I hunted with Gene and Barry for around 35-40 years. First met Gene on a plane when I was returning from Alaska. Gene found out that I owned a ranch that was full of big Whitetails and we became instant friends. He hunted the ranch and then brought Uncle Barry. Over the ensuing years I taught them everything I know and they became unbelievably great Whitetail hunters. I tried to teach them how to hunt Elk, but they were both too fat to cover the necessary ground. Do you suppose I ever got one word of thanks from the twins for all I taught them and all the FREAKING food I fed them over the years?? Nawww...but I still love them! Gene is a great Whitetail hunter. Barry is probably the best anywhere on the planet. Message from To F. Short, otherwise known as Paul Brunner!

12-Dec-18
To Griz....Chuckie is a dirt bag and extremely unethical. You got impressed by the wrong dude, Griz. I can personally tell you how he tried to bribe a Mexican official to put him on his Desert Sheep hunt AHEAD of Paul Schafer's already booked hunt. This is truth, NOT fiction!

12-Dec-18
AWWW, SHUCKS, Griz...You are really good at hiding your true feelings! Sorry for jumping all over you, but you DID ask for it.

Too F. Short

12-Dec-18
I still remember it like it was yesterday. About 15 years ago, I was President of my state's bowhunting association. I was sitting on the couch with my wife in February and the phone rang. She handed it to me and said "Barry Wensel" wants to talk to you. I thought she was pulling my leg or someone was pranking me! Sure enough, it was one of my hero's. He called about placing an ad in our magazine but I quickly booked him as a banquet speaker! One of our best ever!! The Wensel's are great people!

12-Dec-18
Too Short,

Think this is the first time I've seen you post on Bowsite. Nice!

You still wacking them rattlers to back bows? My bow I carved and backed with a set I bought from you is still in one piece.

12-Dec-18
Elite 1, cool story. Not sure if I would have the balls to go up and knock on the door. I would have probably hit his mailbox and forced him to come out :)

12-Dec-18
Gene/Barry, any chance your coming to MA for s seminar? Even though this state is a joke I’m serious.

12-Dec-18
Both Gene and Barry have been giving back to bowhunting all of their lives. Both have been speakers at the Wisconsin Traditional Archers annual banquet. I am anxiously awaiting Barry's new video. It should be a great refresher to his boot camp.

Take care both Thanks

12-Dec-18
I am always amazed by people wanting to attack those that are successful. Gene and Barry are some of the elders/corner stones of bowhunting. The high tech of today seems to have impacted the sport from when we fell in love with it in the fifties and sixties. But some of the most successful in history are up and coming. TheWensels have ALWAYS set the standard for the hunt, not the kill!!!! They are just really good at killing. In the decades I’ve known them and of their exploits, not one time have I ever heard an unethical word about them from many that have hunted with them or spent time with them. I’m nearly sixty with a nine year old son and these are two of the guys that I want to influence the man he will become. They are great friends and have been although one of them told my daughter he was really her father. She knew better since she was taller than them when she was twelve. Dave, If you are going to make statements accusing someone of unethical behavior you should be able to back it up. As someone who conducts numerous investigations a year I always question the validity of statements concerning not being able to recollect times, dates, and places. If factual, and not able to recall the information, maybe one too many drinks to be clear on The Who. You should really be careful before slandering someone. Why would someone who has spent the majority of their lives promoting ethical behavior publically destroy their reputation? Especially guys that have some of the most amazing bowhunting footage ever filmed. These guys love the sport for the hunt and strive to make it better for future generations. Not for fame. I would suggest you research the banquet and I think you will find out you are mistaken. Then apologize to the brothers. I don’t mean to attack but I’m protective of my friends and mentors. I wish you the best. God bless AA

12-Dec-18
I can’t belive I did it either when we pulled in my son said your nuts told him it was something I had to do,maybe he’s not even home. Well he opened the door I told him who I was and where I was from and asked if I could shake the hand of the best bowhunter I ever new. Barry invited us in,looking at all his trophies and him telling the stories on some of them it was 90 minutes that flew by if we didn’t have to get to are stands he may have had to thrown us out. I was Hesitant to put this on bowsite but now I am glad I did had some very wonderful feedback very deserving The Wenzel are great bow hunters and greater human beings and yes Barry looks like Santa Claus it was an early Christmas for us!!!!

12-Dec-18
First class people in every way possible. Looking forward to their seminar in Kalamazoo.

12-Dec-18

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
One of my most cherished possessions is this photo.

12-Dec-18
Too Short - Thought you were the 8th Dwarf...8^) Must be your burner handle...8^)

12-Dec-18

12-Dec-18
The Wensels are true men among men. I had a bowhunting BIL in the final stages of cancer in Mason City IA 10 years ago. Greg idolized Barry and Gene and watched their videos constantly as he slowly succumbed to the cancer. One video in particular, Primal Dreams, was a Godsend to Greg. Barry and Gene found out about Greg and arranged a home visit but Greg died the day before. I think that the fact that they were going to spend a bit of their valuable personal time with a dying fellow bowhunter speaks volumes about their character. Greg was my bowhunting buddy and I haven't had the same enthusiasm for it since his passing.

12-Dec-18
Oh, BTW. I believe it was Fred Bear who used to shoot blunts at Caribou and other big game while on camera 'back in the day'.

12-Dec-18
Fun read. Strangely I recognize many of the names of those posting though I haven't been on the Bowsite and LW much in several years. Good to see good people

Primal Dreams is well done. I got it to share with friends and family members who "aren't too sure about this bowhunting stuff " G

12-Dec-18
It's because of the Wensels I hunt with a stickbow. They made it look so easy and I told myself if those guys can do it, I can do it. They do it way better than I do.

12-Dec-18
Thanks Kodiak

12-Dec-18
Good stuff! There’s always one in a crowd....bummer about this Dave guy.

Anyways, I’m with everyone else. Had the pleasure of hearing one of them at the MTBA last year, it was great. Lot of knowledge and great story teller.

12-Dec-18
Both Wenzel’s and Alan Altizer on the same thread. Where else could that ever happen? Lots of hours spent watching vhs tapes of both the Wenzel’s and Altizer. Pretty cool to be able to talk to them personally if you wanted too.

12-Dec-18
Knowing that Barry will be at the nra outdoor show is a good incentive to get back to the show.

12-Dec-18
Started attending their seminars back in the 80's in Erie, Pa and later at Butler, Pa. and have spoke with them many times at various functions over the years. Barry and Gene have put a lot of enjoyment into the sport for me. A real class act. I regret that I never made it to one of the boot camps.

12-Dec-18
WV Mountaineer - You forgot to mention Too Short, aka the 8th Dwarf...8^)

13-Dec-18
As a reply to the rumours of my dementia Gene Wenzel was our guest speaker in Kansas on Feb 5 and 6 1983. The lady from our table that was offended and left was Barb Stevens.

13-Dec-18
As a reply to the rumours of my dementia Gene Wenzel was our guest speaker in Kansas on Feb 5 and 6 1983. The lady from our table that was offended and left was Barb Stevens.

13-Dec-18
I heard Barb Stevens is also responsible for the whole Baby it’s cold outside song dilemma going on right now...

13-Dec-18
Shug,

You are totally out of line to make fun of Barb Stevens, someone you have no idea who they are. To make a pot shot like that because of a comment Dave Easton made is not cool. Barb is a nice lady, whose husband helped found the Kansas Bowhunters and had given a lot back to bowhunting. I have no idea if Barb walked out after seeing the blunting video. But Barb is a good lady.

As far as the blunting video, it was shown at the KBA banquet. I do not remember for sure who showed it. I DO remember one of the guys shooting rubber blunts at caribou, but It was NOT Barry Wensel. I have absolutely nothing to gain to mention who did the shooting. There is not a person on Bowsite that has done everything perfect in their hunting career, and this happened many years ago. That particular person has damaged his own reputation multiple times on his own. I don't need to add.

I am not here to defend Dave Easton either. He can defend himself if he wants to make inappropriate comments.

Gene did speak at the KBA, I got a signed Hunting Rutting Whitetails book from him when he was here. I killed my first P&Y whitetail that fall largely because of that book, which is very dogged eared and marked up. Gene has spoken all over the country and might not remember everywhere he has spoken. Thanks for coming Gene, you helped me tremendously!

I also met Barry at P&Y in Tulsa in 1987. Super nice guy and one of my bucket list things to do was go to one of his whitetail camps. I am very disappointed that won't happen now. Unless I can somehow bribe him into a one on one camp!

13-Dec-18
Cool thread if you take away the pot shots.

The guys that I wanted to be like when I cut my bowhunting teeth are all posting in the thread. Specifically...the best videos of all time were Whitetail Eye to Eye and Bowhunting October Whitetails. Also...if that is really Paul Brunner I remember some of his stuff and how deadly he was with trad gear. If I am not mistaken he shot a big Pennsylvania buck on video with one of those rattler backed bows he made.

13-Dec-18
Stick around guys, we'll probably find out tomorrow "Barb Stevens" actually left the table to grab another cup of coffee..

13-Dec-18
Something a little undignified in posting or reposting the name of a great guy,fellow bowsiter,friend and bow hunter’s wife on a public forum.I digress

13-Dec-18
And we wonder why so many well-known bowhunters are no longer active on this site. At one time both Gene and Barry were active participants. And the last name is spelled "Wensel" not "Wenzel"! Can you at least get the spelling correct!

13-Dec-18
I stand corrected if I did in fact speak at the Kansas Bowhunters banquet in 1983. I don't remember being there. That being said, I have never witnessed, filmed nor taken part in blunting caribou. I never even owned nor borrowed a camcorder, movie camera nor any footage of caribou hunting. Could there have been a caribou outfitter at that same banquet? Quebec caribou outfitters were really promoting their hunts in that same era. It wasn't me.

13-Dec-18
Gene,

You don't remember it because there were only 11 people there, 10 after the blunting incident.

Just kidding KBA.

13-Dec-18
It wasn't Gene or Barry, I saw the same video in a hotel room in Milwaukee at my first P&Y convention. People have to realize this was in the early 80's, a different time.

13-Dec-18
If it was Blunting Caribou in Canada then it was most likely BF. If it was in Alaska then probably DB, he use to show video's of Blunting Moose they did not want to shoot in order to run them off.

13-Dec-18
OMG...lighten up Ironbow.. I’m sure Barb is a wonderful woman... Beyond the first 1/2 sentence I didn’t read your post I just figured it was some kind of rant... As I said in a previous post ... A Joke.l!!!...

Don’t like using Barbs name ... insert any name you like... Just not Liz... that’s my wife’s name

13-Dec-18
“United Bowhunters of Connecticut had them both in Wallingford way back in the 80s.”

“They did the whole evening on Africa.”

That might explain some things on the success % on those Connecticut “Live hunt” threads! ;-)

“Bowhunting October Whitetails” was probably the first hunting video I ever bought....and is probably still the best one as well. The good natured ribbing and joking around with each other makes it even better.

13-Dec-18

Altizer's embedded Photo
Altizer's embedded Photo
Looking back through old photos I figured out who the real culprit s were. It’s easy to understand the confusion. Merry Christmas.

13-Dec-18
LOL now that’s funny,yes we need to lighten it a bit!!!!

13-Dec-18
lol Funny stuff Alan

13-Dec-18
A few years back I was at the Great American Outdoor show. I brought my recurve in and got Fred Eichler to sign it. When i went to the archery section I was surprised that Barry and Gene had a both there. Man I felt like I had hit the lottery. Both were super nice and also signed my bow.

13-Dec-18
Blunting a caribou esp. from a trad. bow is probably completely harmless...unless you hit the bull’seye ...

It’s a joke...no wait I’m serious...

13-Dec-18
I’ve spent a good amount of time with both Gene and Barry. They are genuine good guys; I’d say you will get 1 in 10,000 that have something bad to say about them and that will be based off gossip and here say.

I wonder how many time this alleged story has been repeated in the last 36 years. What a shame.

13-Dec-18
I saw Gene and Barry both in my home town in the late 80's and again in the early 90's. Now hearing Barry is going to be in k'zoo the end of January I hope to take my son to see him speak and hopefully learn from the best. Gene and Barry thanks for all you have done for bowhunting.

14-Dec-18
I’m with David A. Is blunting caribou really that bad IF someone was doing it? Especially with trad bows! Some are way too sensitive. Heaven forbid them to show a kill shot with a sharp broadhead......and at a bow hunting banquet??? Who would have thought!!!

14-Dec-18
Basically, Catch and release bowhunting... I wouldn’t think it would be such a problem

Anyway, I agree with the above Wensel comments. Outstanding hunters and represent the best of our sport. BOW and Paul Brunner book were huge influences for me

14-Dec-18
Not to fan the flame, BUT....I personally witnessed Shug blunting NJ mud carp in the Delaware River on numerous occasions, while wearing a god awfully ugly shirt. AND!....get this...he used to date a chick named Barb.....what a douchenozzle.....

15-Dec-18
Russell....I'm still hunting the Buzz Worms and have a freezer full of 'em. Still building bows, too. I'm building a lot of Sinew backed, horn bellied bows, basically the same as the Plains Indians built. When a state allows, I do a lot of my hunting with stone points, too. Life is good and definitely beats the alternative! Happy Holidays to all.

Too F. Short

15-Dec-18
I might point out that Ironbow was the pastor of our organization.

15-Dec-18
I might point out that Ironbow was the pastor of our organization.

15-Dec-18
“And we wonder why so many well-known bowhunters are no longer active on this site. “

Who wonders why?

16-Dec-18
When did this site become as juvenile as AT?

16-Dec-18
"I might point out that Ironbow was the pastor of our organization."

Why are you pointing that out? And why do you have an ax to grind?

16-Dec-18
I will say this in the pro/con of blunting critters. I used to do it. I was a cattle rancher and blunted a huge Steer that we were about to slaughter for part of our annual beef supply. We killed him a couple of days after I blunted him. You would not believe the Hematoma over his rib cage when we skinned him. I stopped blunting critters at that point. Don't mean to fan the fire here, folks, just tellin' a story.... Too F. Short!

16-Dec-18
Lol

16-Dec-18
Good stuff. I’m caught in a time warp or wormhole. Too Short, The Twins and a mention of Chuckie in a Bowsite thread. Is that the sound of a dial-up ‘handshake’ ....or just just the ringing in my ears?

16-Dec-18
Yeah Kevin, I'm waiting for Fred Asbell to show up.

It'd be epic.

16-Dec-18
Let’s move on

17-Dec-18

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this...8^)))

17-Dec-18
I remember the "trolling for deer" bit in Hunting October Whitetails. lol

17-Dec-18
This thread "is" a little too much like the Kavanaugh hearings. I blunted, Sure we liked blunting, I still like blunting, we all blunted.... but I couldn't have been there, I had balloon tire shooting practice with Too short.. Someone was blunting but it wasn't me. D

17-Dec-18
LMAO! Great to see Barry & Gene posting as well as the seemingly long lost Too Short!

I too have been a fan of the Wensels for decades, have all their books and have had them autographed a time or maybe three at different speaking events in NYS.

>>>>-------->

17-Dec-18
That must have been before Keto diet fad!

17-Dec-18
The unbelievable part of this whole post, it started out to honor good people. Was hijacked and still no remorse as I see it for smearing good peoples reputation. But maybe your will just grant you absolution. thank you Gene, Barry, Paul, you were and are, mine, my brother's heroes.

18-Dec-18
Interesting, Paul...I guess it wouldn’t be safe to blunt a Cape Buff, either...Even tough extreme sports can be fun...talk about extreme, I came very close to blunting Mexican drug smugglers carrying marijuana bales...looked just like my backyard bale... I was in full camo as they passed by at 40 yds...yes, I was tempted! SOBs...

18-Dec-18
It always amazes me what some folks will post online. Even IF you have 100% proof of something, one slander/libel lawsuit from a plaintiff with deep pockets will ruin your day (and bank balance!).

18-Dec-18
Barry and Gene, if you ever have an episode of low self-esteem, come post on Bowsite and you'll be uplifted beyond your wildest expectations! #Beloved! #Alltimegreats!

18-Dec-18

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
Gene's Iowa buck this year was posted at the top of the thread by "Kodiak". Sometimes pictures don't do bucks justice especially if you're not long-arming them. When he killed this one, I asked if it was 150 inches and he said "um-yeah-probably." I just boiled out the skull cap for him and thought it looked a little bigger. I taped the right antler at 72 inches and it's 20 inches inside. Even with the uneven G3 on the left antler, it's much closer to 160 inches than it is to 150. That's a STUD 4x4............world class with a recurve.

19-Dec-18
Pat,

I'm glad you didn't lock it up, Thank you.

These guys and others were my heros as a youngster... I have met Chuck Adams, Larry Jones and few others a time or two, and they were very nice, cordial and humble in my opinion. Larry is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. I haven't had the pleasure to meet Gene or Barry, but I believe they are true gentlemen. It would be an honor, and I am very happy they posted here! I have always believed that a lot of "Famous" bow-hunters visit here, they just don't post much because of stuff like this. Jealousy and envy make people say and do stupid crap.

Barry and Gene, Thank You!!!!

Good Luck and God Bless Gentlemen.

Mark

19-Dec-18
We all should be thanking Gene and Barry. Their contribution to the sport is unsurpassed. And like Pat said, they did not sell out. Gene's BOW's book was my inspiration, and without it, would probably still be trying to figure it out. It helped me "fill in the blanks". And for that, I'm grateful.

In an industry run a muck with pretenders, these guys are the real deal. I learned from them, tried to emulate them, and most of all admired the respect they have for the number 1 game animal in America.

Gene, Barry.......Thank You both.

19-Dec-18
I have a 'greatness' story that I would like to share. 30 years ago Gene was the banquet speaker for the state organization that I was president of. I can't begin to tell you how excited I was. Being a relatively new trad shooter and having watched some of the Wensel video's....I was on cloud 9! Many of us in the state organization were trad shooters and they were just as excited as I was.

We had a 3-D shoot before the banquet and I got to shoot with Gene through the course and ask him a million questions. I was impressed with his shooting; but mostly just to be around him and hear some stories. Later that night, we had a packed house...likely the biggest since we had Fred Bear a few years earlier! In our appreciation, we ,made Gene an honorary life member of our organization.

Even if nothing else happened, if would have been a very special night. That said, a few days later I received a letter from Gene. I looked at the letter and thought likely....a thank you letter. It was a thank you letter...but also he contributed his speaking fees back to the organization as his way of thanking us for our efforts to promote bowhunting. Don't ever fail to think that a Wensel doesn't give back to the sport. Great, Great guys!

19-Dec-18
^^^^^ That Is Exactly What I Am Talking About! ^^^^^

19-Dec-18
That is a great story Stringwacker! Glad you told it. D

19-Dec-18
Years ago, we were in Harare, Zimbabwe, and called a cab to go out to eat. Barry and I were in the back seat and Gene was up front with the driver. Driving along, we could see the pavement going by through the big holes in the floorboards. A little cultural shock and a reminder of what we have. That night we had a smorgasbord of every game animal native to Africa, and I remember the croc medallions tasted like chicken but were tough as hell. White meat, no less. The live music was astounding.

Just another Wensel adventure.

I think Barry and I saw some caribou on the drive from Harare to camp, but maybe not.

20-Dec-18
I'd love to shake Barry's hand, as long as I see him wash it first.

20-Dec-18
Barry, Gene and Too Short all posting in the same thread! It's good to see y'all here. Sorry for the one black cloud that showed up, but know that there are a lot more of us that know the truth and appreciate all you've done (and are doing) for bowhunters.

-Matt n Cheryl

• Sitka Gear