craig@work 19-Dec-18
Scrappy 19-Dec-18
GotBowAz 19-Dec-18
1boonr 19-Dec-18
DRR324 19-Dec-18
lawdy 19-Dec-18
Russell 19-Dec-18
14-Dec-18
Curious... how many whitetail hunters use scents?

What scents do you use and the application?

I used to use a lot of different deer scents and cover scents, but the last few years I have not been using any and don't see much difference in my hunting success.

14-Dec-18
The only thing I use is pre orbital gland on licking branches. Quit useing all the other stuff about 6 years ago and went to useing just that camera post pictures and haven't noticed any difference I'm my success either

14-Dec-18
Tink's 69, has worked for me in the past and now.

14-Dec-18
I've had great luck with Scent Away Earth for many years now. I tried some other stuff with "silver" mixed in it but it didn't seem to work as well. I've never had much luck with Tinks, Code Blue, Mrs Doe Pee, or any other deer attractant. Grain fields, food plots and orchards are the best attractants.

14-Dec-18
You poor guys ain't got no scents. Those lures are designed to separate guys that have no sense from their money. My apologies guys, sometimes I just can't help myself.

14-Dec-18
Some yrs back a had a small venture I called" Makes Scents" deer urine's, sold a good amount and had regular customers season after season, profits trickled in, had a lot in liquid assets... anyhoot one season i noticed i was not feeling well, low grade fever, body aches, long story short my quality control practices (sniff test) was making me ill from the bacteria in the urine. My point is just be care full when using urine based lures of any kind. scentman

14-Dec-18
Only scent I use is Christmas tree trimmings in my hunting clothes bin. Many many years ago I tried scents, deer never came into them and it seemed to scare the hogs off

14-Dec-18
Waste of money.

14-Dec-18
Nose jammer is the only "scent" I use if you can call it that.

14-Dec-18
I’m not a big believer in them, but mostly I just don’t like supporting deer farms.

14-Dec-18
Scrape juice is good stuff

14-Dec-18
I have had success with Scrape Juice and Indian buck lure. Scrap Juice for getting a buck worked up over a scrape and Indian Buck Lure to get the shot I want when in close proximity to where a deer will travel anyway. In other words it will not bring them in running from miles away, but will hold their attention in close. I have also used fresh deer urine soaked over night in the tarsal gland for the next day with success. I have also sprayed my boots down with fresh earth sent away. Seems to help some.

14-Dec-18
Bou, knowing your sarcastic demeanor... :0) have you really used sj with success?

14-Dec-18
Nosejammer is the only scent I’ve ever tried. Works, too, btw. (majority of the time)

14-Dec-18
I use some to establish mock scraps and licking branches. Then for cover sent I go to store and buy the cheapest apple juice I can find and one of those small spray bottles. Spray on my boots and pants before walking in and around the tree I climb . Been doing this for years and have yet to see a deer alarm when they cross my trail anymore and seems to help when deer get around base of my tree . Probably been doing it for almost 30 years . Tried it on a whim went no other cover sents seemed to be working.

14-Dec-18
I think it was either Lou or Paul that mentioned how well Nose Jammer worked on a mule deer hunt, so I decided to give it a try.

****First off ... I have absolutely no affiliation to any products listed below - it's just what I use.

**I began deer hunting back in the late 60's early 70's and have always been a staunch proponent of "occasionally you can fool a deers eyes, and ears, but NEVER it's nose".

Here is what I did and the results (oh, this is a meat hunt, so the first deer - other than a fawn - that gives me an opportunity gets it): Picked up nose jammer $14.99. The print on the can says you should get approximately 16 hunts - OK, less than a buck a hunt - good value IF it works!

Showered in scent shield (hair and body wash), sprayed my boots and outer clothes with scent shield, I've always been careful with clothes to make sure they were as scent free as possible - always wash them with arm n hammer "free" (free of perfumes and dyes). Deodorant is arm n hammer unscented.

My set up for this hunt was ground blind - I opened 2 corner windows that were touching and facing down wind - I tried to set back as much as possible away from the windows.

Per the directions: I sprayed the screens on the blind and a few branches around it - also sprayed my bibs and jacket.

About an hour before dark I could see deer moving through the pines headed my way - coming from the left to right south of me, which would bring them straight down wind. I watched 3 deer moving around with my bi-nocks - looked like a doe, a spike and fawn.

They all passed straight down wind but out of range. I watched as the doe raised her nose and began sniffing - honestly I expected them all to bust and run. She kept sniffing and working closer and closer always smelling the air. When she got to about 25 yards she did get nervous and stomped her front foot a couple times. I could see the other 2 deer behind her but a ways back in the thick stuff. She looked back - I shot her her at 25 yards - straight down wind.

So, does it work? Well it did this time, so I'll be trying it again. Unfortunately I'm leaving to go out of town for a couple weeks so I might not be able to try it again till after season - just my camera next time.

One thing I should mention is I don't know if I would use it around bears as it smells really good - kind of a vanilla smell, that just might attract a bear??????

15-Dec-18
Also a big fan of Nose Jammer. Don't go on stand without it.

15-Dec-18
I have pretty much given up on,the sex scents. I like nose jammer and I also use a scent that has interdigital gland in it, it works very very well. Deer hit this scent and they follow it , I have never spooked a deer using this and it's the only one I use regularly all season long.

17-Dec-18
I trap and use scents for that, but I gave up on deer scents years ago. I still use a little tonquin now and then to stop a moving deer. Beaver castor works too, sometimes. Deer are individuals. What one might find interesting, the other will flee.

17-Dec-18
Ol Scrape Juice......a blast from the past.

17-Dec-18
Scrape juice harbits fifteen minutes of fame but fizzled out with the introduction of smoking sticks

18-Dec-18
I have used a concentrated apple scent purchased from a web site that sells scents to folks who make soaps or camdels. It works great even when there are no apple trees for miles! Deer will actually come right up to the tree with the scent sprayed on it and lap the tree. Deer walk in exactly the same trail I walked in on the apple seems to calm them down. Try it you will like it. I have used apple for 40 plus years, I also chew on Granny Smith apple pieces when sitting in my stand I figure it gets rid of the human scent from my breath. Stay well!!

18-Dec-18
Many years ago, a guy named Dale Forgette had some sort of product that smelled like honeysuckle. It was a cover scent. I thought it was the greatest stuff ever, despite the fact I could see no difference in when I used it and when I didn't. Then, I got hooked trying all sorts of brands and expenses.

Then, I found a cheap, easy to use product that worked the very best. It was called "Common Sense". From that day on, the only scent I used my own urine. That works as well as any commercials cent on the market.

Now, here is a tip. If you believe in using a real deer product, I advise you to buy a big supply. It is soon going to be illegal. In TN, that will go into effect, July 1, 2019. I do not believe they can make the use of your own urine illegal.

18-Dec-18
Another here for Nose Jammer. have had great success with it. It smells good to the 2 legged dears at airports too, ha ha ha LOL

18-Dec-18
Here is a serious question for all who use a "masking" scent or so-called, scent eliminator. How do you know it works? How do you know they would have smelled you without it?

I have asked that question of literally, hundreds of hunters. Never got a conclusive or provable answer. Here is the problem: Deer comes dead downwind of you, doesn't spook. Does that mean the product worked or does it mean wind currents did not carry your scent to the deer's nose? For every example given of how something similar to that happened, I can site cases of it happening when no product was used. But here is the key.

If...IF... using a product gives you confidence, makes you hunt better and longer, then that product works. True of any hunting product.

18-Dec-18
Nosejammer smells like vanilla because it is vanilla. Russel hull sold it for years with the name of coverup on it. He put green food coloring in it so you wouldn’t think it was just plain old drown vanilla. I never use anything and I get mature deer downwind of me all the time. Sometimes some of them don’t like my smell and other times no problem. If I used lures and cover scents I would expect similar results. When you don’t get detected you give the credit to the cover scent and when you do get detected you say well sometimes it just doesn’t work. I say it never actually works.

18-Dec-18
1boonr, ever try Nose Jammer? it is NOT just vanilla but yes that is a deer attractant? The rest of the ingredients once sucked up the deer nose Jams their smelling senses. I have pictures of a buck licking my tree stand steps where it transfers from my boots yet my bare hands had also touched the very same step. Pretty sure my hands left human scent.

18-Dec-18
GotBowAZ- What do you think that proves? How about deer licking where I peed or spit tobacco juice?

18-Dec-18
I started usin Nosejammer and really believe it works. I do the best I can with showering in scent free body wash and using scent free soap along with ozone generator for my clothing. Seemed like I would still get picked off from time to time. Since using Nosejammer I feel even if a deer smells me they don’t get near as nevous and blow out the entire area. Usually just sniff a little and keep feeding or slowly walk off.

19-Dec-18
They lick my decoys sprayed with Nose Jammer. I'm a ground hunter and have used every scent known to man past 47 years, including Russell Hull's. Real and synthetics. Nothing has worked as well as Nose Jammer and I believe ohiohunter nailed the reason why.

This season I called/decoyed 36 muley and whitetail bucks inside 60 yards from the ground. More than half were either downwind or crossed my scent cone. Go figure..

19-Dec-18
I haven’t used “deer” scent in probably 10 years or more. Did try nose hammer this year and so far results have been favorable

Craig

19-Dec-18
Craig@work for the win.. Hitting deer on the nose with a hammer will definitely jam up their sense of smell.

19-Dec-18
Bowriter, It proves to me at least that it works 80 percent of the time. By the way, deer cant differentiate pee from one critter to another including human. So unless your going to roll around in your own pee naked your pee can most likely be considered an attractant, specifically in a fresh scrape. try it.

19-Dec-18
New car smell is an attractant. Since smell is their number one defense if all this crap really worked as good as people think it does they would be killing mature bucks every year. If this stuff actually works and your not killing mature bucks every year you need to take up a new hobby because you obviously suck at deer hunting.

19-Dec-18
I use evercalm and make my own "nose jammer". Buy the big bottles of evolve dead down wind, purchase a bottle of pure vanilla and mix 1/2 bottle into each of the evolve bottles. On 2 hunts this year I had groups of does cross my trail at 80 yards and turn to follow my path towards me. One night, 8 does and 6 fawns hung out for 10 minutes sniffing and inspecting every branch/twig around me- all while being directly downwind (light winds, I use milkpods). On 4 other hunts I had deer cross my scent stream and stop- sniff test for bit and continue on. I am critical of clean clothes- I smoke my badlands pack a few times each fall, but feel the combination of the two scents (evercalm and my spray) helps to overcome my scent and keep them from blowing out on me.

19-Dec-18
I wear the same woolens trapping that I wear bow hunting. I can’t speak for deer, but dogs love me. I play the wind as a ground pounder and have had a few young deer come downwind. Several times bobcats have checked me out. A big male this year was sitting several feet behind me this year when I turned around. People get a curious look on their faces when I stop at the local store. One thing is certain up here, big mature bucks up here smell anything that is foreign, they are gone. Play the wind.

19-Dec-18
James Valley Scents for me during the pre-thru post rut phases.

Normally use the liquid and make scent trails or sprinkle a couple cap-fulls 20 yards out in a couple shooting lanes.

Last month in Iowa, had numerous deer milling around very close smelling the scent I applied.

• Sitka Gear