SBH 16-Dec-18
Franklin 16-Dec-18
Buskill 16-Dec-18
t-roy 16-Dec-18
Arrowhead 16-Dec-18
Buskill 17-Dec-18
Rocky D 17-Dec-18
16-Dec-18
Here’s the situation : I have permission to hunt a 100 acre cattle farm that has been mostly abandoned . Very very few cattle for last several years so the place has really grown up . The northern portion is fields / yards with more fields immediate south and south east . To the West is a huge block of forest . To the east / north east is a bit more farmland ( active ) and some woods . I’ll post a pic in a minute . I am the only hunter on the acreage but a lot of hunting takes place around it . I usually only turkey hunt and predator hunt this spot . This year , however , I just went in for the first time and saw good deer sign . More tracks than usual ( new ) and one set that’s huge . Really huge . A lot more rubs than usual , there is essentially a line of rubs along the southern edge of the woods right where it meets a couple fields and that line follows a line kinda north east to a pinch point . I like that little pinch point . I like the rub line as I do have an old stand previously hung right on it as transitions up from a thick bottom to a grown up field . My question is this , how much stock do you put on hunting that rub line at this point in the season ? Food wise , this year , is tough . No acorns at all . No food plots close . Deer are just eating grass and browsing on briars and such . Pretty tough to pattern that . I feel like a nice buck had settled in here to avoid surrounding pressure and I don’t wanna spook him by being silly . What’s your move ?

16-Dec-18

Buskill's embedded Photo
Buskill's embedded Photo

16-Dec-18
Find a spot you can see a little with a good wind and hunt. Rub line is not a factor now. Find some food or bedding.

16-Dec-18
Travel corridor between bedding and food, using the wind of course ... same for access .. late season, I prefer afternoons over mornings

16-Dec-18
Never gonna find a specific food this year . No acorns , no grapes, just grass and briers .

16-Dec-18
I believe rub lines are somewhat significant, maybe not as much now, but it's obviously where a buck likes to travel, so it cannot be discounted completely. This late in the year, I would hunt a couple areas that "look good" and observe for next year. You might just get lucky.

16-Dec-18
Can you get some cameras up?

16-Dec-18
I`ll go along with Drycreek….especially if you have rubs coming and going. You might figure out his "core area" and for surely stay out of that. Don`t even think of bumping him. IMO skip the camera idea because if you continue intruding into his area he will figure this out. I`m not a "camera guy" so that might be slightly biased. In this instance it might do more harm than good. Maybe observing from a distance would be better.

You didn`t show us the location of these "signs" on your aerial pic as that would help formulate a plan. You have to figure out where he is most likely bedding and where he is traveling to....then set up accordingly.

When you decide to move in....set up and hunt. Do not pressure the area with repeated visits or mucking around.

16-Dec-18

Buskill's embedded Photo
Buskill's embedded Photo
Here’s an approximation of the line I know . I’ve not invaded the interior to look for more

16-Dec-18
Looks like a decent pinch point spot near where your second red dot from the top is located. Looks like a potentially good spot to me, if you can get in there with minimal intrusion.

16-Dec-18

Arrowhead's embedded Photo
Arrowhead's embedded Photo
Without scouting, I like the looks of these locations. I would bust in there and see where the fresh sign is and hunt it. Find some access points to those stand locations and get the wind right. Hope for the best. Rub lines are always on my mind when scouting out a place to hunt.

17-Dec-18
Thanks for the advice guys . Arrowhead , interestingly one of your stand locations actually already has a ladder up from several years back . Wind has not been right for it yet . I hunted the southern edge last night , right on the rub line . Four does , no bucks yet .

17-Dec-18

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
I normally pay more attention to terrain since at this time of the year in the area that you are hunting it may be hard to get a mature buck in the open in daylight. Also this appears to be thick vegetation. Here are my thoughts on stand location. I would prefer all day sits in cover versus setting on a food plot. P.S. I saved the terrain view but it saved as satellite but this does take terrain into account.

• Sitka Gear