GF 16-Dec-18
Sarge 16-Dec-18
SteveBNY 16-Dec-18
JTV 16-Dec-18
SixLomaz 16-Dec-18
Sarge 17-Dec-18
12yards 17-Dec-18
16-Dec-18
I went to trad bows in 1995 and have stayed with them till a few weeks ago. I have one really good reason that is personal but also have a bad left arm torn up by dogs several years ago and have lost muscle in it. I have come up with a Mathews Q2XL and know I am way behind in tech with Compounds but know what worked back in the early 90's. My question is about arrow rests. I had used a TM hunter or a NAP 800 type rest back when and just wonder how it will work with this solo cam Bow? The last Bow I was shooting in the 90's was a High Country and a Darton excel. I had TM's on both of them and was shooting aluminum arrows. What do you think, will the old prong rests still tune and shoot good on the Q2?

16-Dec-18
When I bought my Q2XL back in 2002, I first used a Bodoodle rest. Then switched to a QAD drop-away. Both worked great, and now the Q2XL is my backup bow.

16-Dec-18
If you are not into spending a lot of money and your fletching style is compatable, you may want to consider a Whisker Biscuit. Just saying.

16-Dec-18
Sarge... yes the prong rest will still work. Bodoodle, star hunter. When I bought my first Q2xl, all I used was a star hunter, for years.

16-Dec-18
The prongs will work ... it took another year, but I wised up after ANOTHER dropaway failed... refusing to drop or dropping very sluggish in cold weather, and no there wasnt any moisture in it ... this is 3 times now Ive had dropaways fail... so, I did the smart thing and put a Whisker Biscuit Pro on the Ally... those things are fool proof and solid .... and very accurate, as accurate as I'll ever be.. how accurate are they, well, Ive shot 300's/ high 40's in 300 leagues with one to prove a point and can stack arrows at 40-50 yds with them, my chrono showed a 2-3 fps loss using Heats or Blazers/helical, I'm at 302fps now instead of 304/305... those Heats are great out of them with mech's or low profile fixed !!... .... so now I have one on both the main bow and back up .... I'm done with dropaways...

16-Dec-18
I’d go with a Flipper or even a Bear Weatherest.

Seriously. Something with no moving parts to freeze up. Drop-away cost me an Elk a few years ago, and I’m done with ALL of that crap. Gimme a scrap o’ leather with just enough grease in it to make it waterproof.

16-Dec-18
I very much appreciate the replies, I am catching up. I have a WB in my pile but I use feathers. Will the WB work OK with feathers?

16-Dec-18
If you shoot a lot, the wb will wear on the feathers. They will get to look ragged but still shoot fine.

16-Dec-18
Yes, I used feathers years back with a WB, how ever as stated, they do get ragged ..when using vanes with a WB, stiffer the better, that is why those 3" Heats work so well .. if you are using a wider cut/full sized fixed you may want more control than the Heats, they are 3 inch, but lower profile... for bigger fixed heads, thats where the Blazers come in for me with a full helical .. yes, helical is fine out of a WB, esp. with Heats and Blazers using a AZ Mini Max to put them on my GT's ...

16-Dec-18
Better than whisker biscuit and easy on feathers:

TRUGLO Storm Capture Rest

Octane RST Hostage Max Arrow Rest

New Archery Products NAP Quiktune 360 Capture Arrow Rest

17-Dec-18
I have seen the 360 and wondered about it, may look into it further. I do need to go to Vanes instead of feathers. I will look at the AAE's and Heats, thank ya! The old Mathews draws easy, and I can see myself being able to hunt from the ground even easier knowing my range is going to be extended a dab and I can draw and hold. I am getting a little past my youth these days but am blessed to get out there still.

17-Dec-18
I'd get a limb driven rest. Don't see how they could fail. Vapor Trail, TT Smackdown Pro or Hamskea. I've never had a QAD fail in really cold weather either. But that one isn't limb driven.

• Sitka Gear