oldrecurveman 16-Jan-19
LtsRyd 16-Jan-19
Steve H. 16-Jan-19
Killer 02-Apr-19
Adak Caribou 04-Apr-19
Killer 06-Apr-19
18-Dec-18

LtsRyd's Link
Hello, I would like to introduce myself and what we offer. I have watched several forums over the years but this one has really impressed me with the professional posts and not constant bashing. Definitely one we would like to be part of. You can learn more about our offerings in the outfitter section under Barren Ground Caribou. Support Vessels. Our full website is currently under construction. Thank you.

18-Dec-18
Dave, that hunting trip looks great. Can you PM me with some prices and seasons?

Is this a draw for tags or OTC?

18-Dec-18
OTC for tags, target rich environment from what Dave and others have said!

18-Dec-18
Well, that's a very honest disclosure of what you will be getting for your money. Good luck to the Business and to all who go and enjoy what they have to offer.

18-Dec-18
Welcome aboard... looks like some great hunting.

18-Dec-18
Looks like a hoot!

18-Dec-18
I got some Alaska Airlines miles just waiting to be burned :)

18-Dec-18
Thanks guys. It's a truly unique adventure, in a totally different setting then most anyone has ever done.

18-Dec-18
Welcome, the hunt and fishing look great now if I could just get my son to take me !

18-Dec-18
Email sent. Sounds like fun.

18-Dec-18
Info and Prices please

18-Dec-18
Sounds like a fun trip. I would also be interested in pricing.

18-Dec-18
Does it include a tour of the Adak National Forest?

Terry

18-Dec-18
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Being unguided I imagine there's no options for Canadian residents eh?

18-Dec-18
Our posted rates for 2019 are $5000 per person and we can take up to 12 persons.

We also offer a whole boat discount program, if someone is willing to put in the effort to organize a private charter themselves. The price for a private charter, organized by a group organizer, is $48,750. That comes to $4062.50 per person (12 persons) or $4,875 for 10 and the group organizer gets 2 free slots and is still able to offer the group a discount or if you have a smaller group and want the whole boat, you can pay a little more each and have a smaller party. Thanks guys!

18-Dec-18
APauls, You are correct, being unguided Big Game hunts in Alaska doesn't work for non-us citizens. Sorry.

18-Dec-18
Welcome to the Bowsite Dave! Hope you get some great clients from here. Lots of good guys. Good luck to ya.

15-Jan-19

LtsRyd's embedded Photo
LtsRyd's embedded Photo

LtsRyd's Link
After some delay, our new website is up - http://www.adakcaribouhunts.com/ Thank you for your responses.

15-Jan-19
Dave, I liked the website, best wishes on this endeavor. A few questions..... 1.) Fishing gear is provided, but I assume that anyone wanting to hunt waterfowl/ptarmigan needs to bring their own guns and ammo (or a lot of extra arrows)? 2.) Barren Ground caribou or reindeer? 3.) To catch up with the supply vessel, where do hunters fly into? 4.) Considering the weather at that time of year, in that specific area of Alaska, at the conclusion of the week, is it reasonable to assume that you can make it back to Anchorage within 24 hours? I am just trying to picture a couple coolers full of meat (and maybe halibut)....and the relative urgency in getting them home without spoiling.

15-Jan-19
Medicineman, Great questions, thank you! 1. You are correct, we do not provide guns, ammo, or arrows for bird hunting. I carry a flu flu with me for ptarmigan while caribou hunting. 2. The Caribou are Barren Ground, not reindeer. 3. You would fly into Adak, from there we bring you and your gear to the boat. Using air miles is very reasonable, 25,000 or less for round trip from Anchorage. "That's not a typo". :) 4. It is safe to assume that you can make it back to Anchorage within 24 hours. Hunters stay on the boat until your plane arrives.

15-Jan-19
The pictures look very similar to hunting caribou with Frank in Greenland. Looks awesome!

15-Jan-19
Caribou were transplanted to Adak, circa 1954 iirc from the Nelchina Herd. Flight from ANC is expensive, $1k from when I last looked, if you can't use miles--I believe Alaska Airlines limits the number of mileage tickets available so folks better research!

15-Jan-19
Fairbanks to Adak, cause I was curious,$1400 r/t. My goodness. I never would have guessed it to be that much, but I guess it's in the middle of nowhere.

16-Jan-19
I was stationed in Shemya AK in the 90's. The flight from ANC to Shemya would stop refuel at the Adak Navy base.

The island looked beautiful and was usually very windy. Hunters are in for a treat.

16-Jan-19
Now I’m ever happier that Pat is going to adopt me. Thanks Dad. But can I pass on the ducks and catch more halibut?

16-Jan-19
Lived there from 87 to the end of 95. Had a 34' twin engine boat built and shipped there. Lots of adventures and great memories. Walked on beaches that probably hadn't seen a human since WWII. Bou hunting was decent but high end bou were rare. Biggest I ever took was about 375.

Active duty hunters were taken by Navy tug to cabins at 4 locations weekly if weather allowed and it was not unusual for the 105' ocean going tug to turn back or not go at all. I was on one trip when we were burying the bridge and all the gear that had been tied down on the back deck was washed overboard. I finally told the chief that making 2 knots wasn't going to get us there and we returned to port.

Shipmate of mine finally walked out after 10 days overdue.

You simply can't believe how bad the weather can be.

16-Jan-19
Very interesting, I spent the entire year of 1964 on the island of ADAK while in the Marine Corps. I was stationed at the Naval Comm Station on the far end of the island away from the main Naval Base. To back up the previous post about the horrific weather, I can assure you that is true. However, when the weather breaks the island is a spectacular place. We used to catch Salmon with our bare hands in tiny streams that fed into the bay near the station. I never saw the Caribou since they were mainly on the other end of the island. The Adak National Forest was for real, but was quite small. I have been reading articles about the Caribou / Reindeer hunting on the island for a number of years & have often thought of going back there to give it a try. Maybe one of these days I will have to do just that.

16-Jan-19

LtsRyd's embedded Photo
LtsRyd's embedded Photo
Good morning, After posting about our website being up I grabbed my bow and snowmobile and headed out for some ptarmigan hunting. Good times. I wanted to touch on some of the points being brought up. We highly recommend hunters bring good rain gear for sure. That being said, if you are going to hunt the coast of Alaska, well Alaska, be prepared for weather. The beauty of an Island is that there are two ways around it, depending upon wind conditions, making it easy to get around one side or the other. When the winds are strong the caribou are down in the draws to get out of it, making it very doable for archery. The topography of the south end is rolling to steep draws, one after another. It's great for spot and stalk. The ptarmigan has nothing to do with the thread but it's my excuse for not responding earlier to the PM's. :)

16-Jan-19
When I went we boated to Slaughter Alley the Pacific route and returned the Bering route! Look for the ferns they indicate lava tubes to hide in, but, beware the lava tubes, everyone that enters doesn't come out!

02-Apr-19
Hunted Adak in ‘85 with a good friend in the Navy. Hiked down to the far peninsula, weather was great at first, then it started blowing and raining sideways, truly a eyeopener. No caribou, had a great time hiking an trying to keep my head head from the driving rain.

04-Apr-19

Adak Caribou's Link
Steve H., that's the beauty of hunting an island, one side is always protected. Killer, things are a little different on Adak now then they were 30 plus years ago. The number of caribou are probably double if not triple the number. The last count was a few years ago and the numbers seem to have increased from that. I had an interesting conversation with the ADF&G biologist in charge of managing the herd, he stated that there hasn't been a ADF&G biologist on the island in as long as he knows, if ever. Basically, they manage the herd by word of mouth from hunters. More or less, it's the forgotten herd.

06-Apr-19
AC, Alaska F&G will never spend money surveying the island, it’s a complete waste of funds. The island hasn’t changed in 30 years, same place and weather. Best of luck

• Sitka Gear