codya 02-Oct-19
Sivart 02-Oct-19
Treeline 02-Oct-19
Rut Nut 02-Oct-19
midwest 02-Oct-19
Norseman 02-Oct-19
19-Dec-18

codya's embedded Photo
A bull I killed a few years ago. Always better when dad is there to enjoy it with!
codya's embedded Photo
A bull I killed a few years ago. Always better when dad is there to enjoy it with!
Hoping to talk my pops and hunting partner into cashing in some points and going to the bighorns. As many of you know my dad (BB) has all but hung up his bow in favor of a camera but I hoping we can share once last elk camp together with tags in both our pockets. Jeff and I have both learned most hunting techniques and ideas from him and both would love to hunt elk in his home state one time with him.

We have the points to draw and I'm pretty sure he is onboard, although I'm not holding my breath for him to give up his elk photo trips in Colorado and the Tetons. Even if he doesn't pack his bow much or at all I hope to have him with us on one last good elk hunt!

Im hoping some of you that have hunted 38-9 in the past may share your thoughts and stories of the unit. Any info you may be willing to share would be a huge help in making the tough decision to cash in our points on what will most likely be a once in a lifetime hunt!

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!!

Cody

19-Dec-18
I sure hope you guys get the chance to make this hunt happen Cody! If I had any valuable info I'd be happy to share it. Just wanted to post to let you know that myself and I'm sure many other Bowsiters would love to see this hunt come to fruition and hear the stories afterward. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

19-Dec-18
I camped in 38 this year, and hunted 37 on type 9 tag. Shoot me a pm and I will be happy to help how I can

19-Dec-18
Hey Cody, I hope that you are able to get your dad convinced to do that hunt. I don’t know if you remember me but one of my friends and I had dinner with you and your dad in your toy hauler when you were hunting elk in Unit 61 in Colorado. I had a deer tag then. The same buddy, myself and another buddy hunted 38 in Wyoming a few years back. I will look to see if I have my old maps. I know that my buddy Tom kept a journal on that hunt with quite a bit of detail regarding where we hunted. I would be happy to share that info and my gps coordinates with you and your dad. We had a great hunt and I would love to go back there some day. I will look around for the info and send you a pm if you decide to apply. Let me know if you do. Your dad is just one of the best people I have had the pleasure to meet and I would love to help you guys.

19-Dec-18
Curious on this one too. One of the three or four unit's I've been looking at.

Also curious how 38 compares to 39, 45 and 54 as far as they type of terrain and hunting.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys decide to do Cody !!!

Cheers, Pete

19-Dec-18
Will be an awesome time Cody. I hope you can talk your dad into the hunt. He is one of the most selfless men I've ever met....plus he was shooting stuff with abow when most of us were still crapping yellow. :)

19-Dec-18
I wish I could help with that unit. I owe Bill for the Wyoming help he gave me.

Cody, you know darn well Bill won't put the camera down to shoot an elk! lol

Best of luck and looking forward to the pics and stories!

19-Dec-18
My info is dated but I have hunted 38 three times - the last time probably 10 years ago.

It is beautiful country, very accessible in most places with roads throughout, but with several areas that are back in far enough to escape other hunters with a little effort.

The bulls are there and September is by far the best time to hunt them. They are not giant but expect to see bulls from 280-330. (Bigger ones are taken every year.)

I have somewhat kept up with the area and do not think things have changed much since I was there.

The Bighorns are beautiful, not as rough as the Rockies, and there are no wolves.

In short, IMO worth spending the points and pulling the tag.

19-Dec-18
Good luck. Please share with us the photos after...… Great family...

19-Dec-18
Cody: I know your Dad pretty well and I think the odds are pretty good he’ll go on this hunt. After all, how many 400 inch elk does one need to photograph versus time with his son:) Good luck!

19-Dec-18
Sounds like it would be a great hunt!

19-Dec-18

codya's embedded Photo
codya's embedded Photo
I want to thank everyone that has reached out and already started to share info and thoughts on this hunt!

I hope we can make this happen!

19-Dec-18
Congrats and say hi to you dad for me!

19-Dec-18
After you draw PM me. Good Luck.

19-Dec-18
Glad to help out an awesome family! Send me a PM and we can get the ball rolling.

19-Dec-18
Charlie X2!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Dec-18
OP, Just search the archives on Bowsite & MM. That’s one of the most popular units for Bowsiters especially. It seems everyone on the site has hunted it.

21-Dec-18
Remember the good old days when you could draw the type 9 tag on the first try, back before the internet hype debacle. Have fun, your dad's work is stunning!

21-Dec-18
Hay I need some help! Cody and Jeff are trying to beat me up and break my camera so I haver to go elk hunting with them. What do you guys think I should do? I hate to fight back too hard cause I might hurt one of those youngsters, and they both have kids to raise.

Truly any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

I most likely will be doing it just to keep those youngsters from getting hurt!

Have a great bow hunt and thanks for any and all help. BB

And when I get some time, I would like to tell the story about the deer photo that Cody posted. It's pretty funny! Merry Christmas to all. Bill

21-Dec-18
You need to go and do the calling or give up your BB nickname.

How else are they going get an elk close enough for a shot!

>>>>~~~~~>

22-Dec-18
You’d better go with em and show them how to do it, Bill! You wouldn’t want them to pick up any bad habits! I can only imagine the pics that would go along with the story! I vote “yea” on you going.

22-Dec-18
All I know is, there's one person who would love to spend their max points actually hunting with their dad for elk, in the very land that made him who he is !!!

Cheers, Pete

22-Dec-18

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
1969 bugling Bulls
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
1969 bugling Bulls
Make more Memories BB!

22-Dec-18

codya's embedded Photo
codya's embedded Photo
Thanks everyone!

C3 hit the nail on the head!!! Nothing I want more then to hunt bulls one more time with my best friend!

On a side not Pete reached out to me and we are thinking about getting some of this hunt on Video and maybe all of us can get a little insight on what has made my dad and your BB tick. I can tell you all that don't know him or have never had that chance to hunt with him, his passion runs deep and their are very few who have been as successful as he because success in the woods is so much more then a harvest. He is as true and sincere as they come and I am blessed to have him as a dad and grandfather to my boys. I can't wait for this fall and hope this final chapter on elk hunting with "BB" has saved the best for last.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas!!!

PS. Pops you had better dig that old bow out and start flinging some arrows again! I love you

23-Dec-18
Oh, man, this just keeps getting better. Pete is one hell of a videographer!

23-Dec-18
BB, go elk hunting!! You can still take a picture or two along the way.

26-Dec-18
Way back when Cody was just a pup, I used to take him bowhunting with me, at a young age that long before most fathers would take their kids. We have had great times together and if your not taking your youngsters at an early age, you both are missing out on a lot.

Anyway to the photo that Cody posted of the small four point mule deer. I would guess that was about when Cody was 7 or 8 years old. We were hunting an area that I had hunted for years, and knew it reasonably well. My brother in law worked with a guy named Shane, and had an elk permit in this same area, on a hunt that opened later. I had never meant Shane but had heard a lot about him though Kevin, my brother in law. He said we were two peas in a pod.

So before I went on my deer hunt, Shane had called me and as if he could meet out there prior to when his hunt opened and let me show him around a bit. I had been out there for a week or 10 days when Shane showed up and only had a few days left before I had to get Cody home for the beginning of School. We had arranged a place and time to meet, and after we returned to camp from an evening hunt, Shane was there.

I told Shane I wanted to hunt the morning hunt and then we would be back about 10 or so and I would take him to some areas where I usually saw elk. We spent a the balance of the morning and a good portion of the afternoon with Shane showing a few different places. Finally it getting late enough we needed to get back to do the evening hunt.

On our way back Shane looked up a steep hill and saw the buck that's in the picture, laying in some oak brush near the top of a ridge. He stopped his truck and glassed and said something like this. "Boy he's in tough spot and would be impossible to get with a bow wouldn't he." And me being a big BS er, said, "Oh no, he would be a piece of cake to kill if you wanted him!" And Shane ask me how I would do it. I told him exactly what I would do, and exactly what the buck deer would do, and where I would hit him, and where he would run and die. He just shook his head and said, "Let's see you did it!" So I got out of the truck on the far side, slipped down the hill so the buck couldn't see me and then made tracks to where I finally came out above him on the ridge. There was a big pine tree on the ridge and I had told Shane I would come out there, and the buck would stand up, take a couple of steps forward, and that I would put an arrow right through his heart. And he would run down the hill about 60 yards and pile up. I said to Shane, when I was just filling him full of bull, that he and Cody could sit there and see the whole thing happen cause it would be so easy. That's when he said he wanted to see me do it.

So I came out at the pine tree, the buck stood up, took a couple steps forward, I put an arrow right through his heart, and he ran exactly where I told Shane he would run, and dropped over dead in Shane and Cody's sight!

Shane and I became good friends and we bowhunted together for many years. It did take long once he started hunting with me for me to loose that first impression I made upon him that afternoon.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

27-Jan-19
Well.....Apps are in and Jeff and I surprised my pops with a new bow! We got him a 2018 Bowtech realm in a draw weight I am sure he would blush if I said..haha We also made him up some new arrows which will be a little lighter then his 700 grain logs he has always shot.

Thanks for all those who reached out! I truly appreciate it and can't wait to hopefully spend some quality time chasing bulls with my hero. I will cherish this hunt so much and still have a few little things planned that could just make it that much better! I hope in a month we can start our planning with tags in our pockets!

27-Jan-19
Going to be epic...Good luck on the draws!

27-Jan-19
So awesome Cody. I am excited for this to happen and can't wait to read about it!!! I am looking forward to Bill actually hunting again. If I am not mistaken the last animal he shot (with a bow and not a camera) was the antelope he shot after I hunted with him in 2013.

You guys are blessed. Enjoy your time with your dad. He is an even better man than bowhunter.

27-Jan-19
I guess with an embarrassing draw weight he won't be shooting his snuffers he converted me to back in 1997? :) 22 years later, I'm still using them. I hunted 38 in 2013. Had a blast but ate tag soup. Wish I could hunt it again, but I can't wait that long to rebuild enough points. I'd share what I learned but I'm guessing he will get much better info from others. I happen to know of two fellow photographers who know the unit very well and while I won't volunteer them, I'd bet all they will need is to know that BB is hunting it.

27-Jan-19
Super excited to hear about this hunt! Going to be epic!

27-Jan-19
Awesome, Cody!

Looking forward to hearing the story of the adventure!

Pretty sure those old Snuffers will still work just fine even with a lower draw weight bow and lighter arrows. Killed a pile of elk with 425-450 grain arrows tipped with Snuffers and launched from longbows! Probably at lower velocity from my 57 to 70# longbows than his “blushing weight” compound! One year I had 3 complete pass thru’s on bull elk with 425 grain Snuffer tipped arrows off of my 57# homemade longbow!

Snuffer magic, BB!

27-Jan-19
Great news! Hope you have a great bow hunt!

27-Jan-19
Thanks everyone! I think all three of us are super excited!

He won't be shooting snuffers on this hunt. He moved to VPA's and harvested his last couple animals with them. His setup will be a Bowtech Realm pulling about 50lbs with beman hunter pro .340 arrows and a Vpa 150 grain 3 blade COC head. His total arrow weight is right at 470 grains.

I want to thank Jeff as well, I know he looks at my pops as a second dad himself but he was more then willing to do everything he could to make this trip come together! He even went as far as getting a new wall tent/stove for this hunt! Once we find out if we did indeed draw I will start a new thread that will continue to document this hunt. I hope to share our scouting and prep work leading into this hunt and getting my soon to be 79 year old man shooting a stick and string again. Once the hunt is over I hope he will take the thread over and document it like he has in the past, I was passed along (from my mom) much better looks, higher IQ, funnier, and again much better looks (it's not hard to be better looking then him) but he has a way to tell a story that I can't! He also will have his camera in tow....

Thanks everyone for all the support, I truly appreciate it and look forward to sharing this experience with all of you! Bowhunting elk in Wyoming with the infamous BB and more importantly my pops...........can't get much better then that!

27-Jan-19
I will have Snuffers on the end of my arrows! (SS)

Of the animals I have been lucky enough to harvest all but one came from a Snuffer tipped arrow.

27-Jan-19
Excellent setup. Pretty sure there’s a dead bull walking in northern Wyoming already... he just doesn’t know it yet:-)

11-Feb-19
Cody, Sent you a PM

11-Feb-19
This is exciting !!!

12-Feb-19
Not sure how I missed this thread until now? I've bowhunted elk in the Bighorns, just not 38, so unfortunately have nothing to share about the unit. Wish I could help! Sounds like one epic adventure on the horizon!

21-Feb-19
We are headed for the Bighorns!

I will start a new thread about the hunt when the ball gets rolling!

To say I am excited to share an elk camp with Jeff and my Dad in Wyoming would be an understatement!

Time to get to work!!! Going to be a great hunt!

21-Feb-19
Fantastic Cody! Happy for you guys. Tell that geezer to start shooting his new bow!

21-Feb-19
No kidding!

21-Feb-19
I can not wait to hear the story! Please make sure to take tons of pictures and give us a recap with all the good, the bad, and the Billy!

21-Feb-19
Excellent! So happy!

21-Feb-19

codya's embedded Photo
codya's embedded Photo
Did not realize Bowsite PM's disappear after 30 days, anyone that sent a Pm offering help/advice I would love to talk!!! Will have maps here soon and we can get a game plan put together!!!

Thanks and sorry that I wasn't smart enough to save the messages to word!!!

You may also email me at [email protected]

21-Feb-19
Congrats gentlemen! Really looking forward to hearing about this one!

21-Feb-19
Good on ya Cody! I hope to bump in to you guys, I drew 38-9 as well. Best of luck.

21-Feb-19
Great news!

21-Feb-19
Our group didn’t draw with an average of 8.4 points. Hope you guys have a blast and can’t wait to c the pics. I’m putting in with my 70 year old dad looking for that one last big hunt too

22-Feb-19
WOW, BB pics and story again, can't wait. Several years ago I commented about a great pic that BB took of a Bull. Long story short he emailed it to me so I could put it as my screen saver.

Good luck to the Allards.

22-Feb-19
Hope you guys take at least a couple of video cameras...

I’m sure you would be able to capture some some amazing memories. Even just to capture stories around the campfire in the evening.

Gotta believe that the fire will be burning hot when BB gets up in the hills with his son and he will likely forget that he ever even had a camera:-).

The elk are in trouble!

22-Feb-19
Congrats! This will be a fun hunt to follow in September!

22-Feb-19
I hope Bill shoots a bull while its wallowing and he in a treestand!

Good luck men

22-Feb-19
Looking forward to following along. Best of luck to BB and the boys!

22-Feb-19
The CPO that covers that unit helped me a bunch when I went. If you want his email shoot me a PM and I can get it to you. Great guy, great info, loves bowhunters

07-Mar-19
It's here!

21-Sep-19

INbowdude's embedded Photo
INbowdude's embedded Photo
And the end result.

22-Sep-19
Oh heck yea, congrats.

22-Sep-19
Excellent congrats

22-Sep-19
Thanks. Waiting to hear from some of the other guys who hunted 38 as well.

22-Sep-19
A friend of mine from Illinois just returned from Unit 38-9. Said he saw a lot of bulls each day and ended up taking a great 5x5. Mentioned Chad (5575) as a contact. This year there were only 18 non-resident tags, and nobody with less than 10 points drew.

22-Sep-19
That makes me want to puke my group has 9.5 average

22-Sep-19
How do you know someone with less than 10 didn't draw a random tag?

22-Sep-19
Its sick that 38 is taking 10. I would hunt a general tag or there about three times vs another romp in 38.

22-Sep-19
He knows because Wy post the draw statistics on there website. All species resident nonresident, regular price, high price, number of points it took to draw and can figure the percentage from data for the random draw allotment it’s all there.

FREE

22-Sep-19
Congrats on a great bull!

22-Sep-19
Whoa, great job! Congrats!

23-Sep-19
Huntcell it does not tell how many points the random tag guys had that drew.

23-Sep-19
No it does not I wrote you can figure the percentage

23-Sep-19
I never could understand the need to know points for individuals in a random draw that doesn’t have bonus points? Whats the difference if you draw with 0 points or 10 points, you had the same chance it draw. Seems like all it does is foster a woe is me response.

23-Sep-19
You need the nr Elk draw database to see who drew and their point totals in the Random side. One thing it does is let you know what the point pools may look like the next year.

23-Sep-19
A lot of units jumped up in 2019 that were in the 8-9-10 range. Guys dumping? Hard to say.

01-Oct-19
So did Bill and Cody's hunt ever happen? Would love to hear the stories.

01-Oct-19
Was wondering the same. Hopefully Buglin Bill is just putting the final touches on a “semi” live hunt that he’s going to post here!

02-Oct-19
We did hunt 38 this year, I will recap the hunt as soon as I get a little time.

Had a great time and I am super thankful for everyone that offered advice.

Jeff was the only one that killed a bull but spending a couple weeks with my pops hunting elk again was the highlight for me even if he or I didn't kill a bull.

I will update this in the next few days with Pictures of Jeff's bull and a recap of the adventures we had.

Thanks again and sorry I have not updated this yet!

02-Oct-19
Cody, you and your Dad are two of the best people I've ever shared a camp with. Can't wait for the story.

02-Oct-19
Can’t wait to see the recap, Cody! Sounds like a trip of a lifetime!

02-Oct-19
Looking forward to this one!

02-Oct-19
Awesome Cody....can't wait to read the recap!

02-Oct-19
Yes! Can’t wait.

• Sitka Gear