gobbler 20-Dec-18
MQQSE 20-Dec-18
stealthycat 20-Dec-18
sitO 20-Dec-18
Sugar 20-Dec-18
20-Dec-18

hawg's embedded Photo
hawg's embedded Photo
What is wrong with this thing? I see one or two like this every year and they seem fine other than their hair. I've assumed some kind of mange but not sure. Ideas?

20-Dec-18
Looks like she was hit by a car and got a little road rash.

20-Dec-18
There is nothing that looks fine to me about that deer. Ears and body structure appear to be "off". CWD? I hope not.

20-Dec-18
Damned if I know. I've always seen lots of midwest deer (on tv shows) that have bare spots on their backs too, never knew what that was about either. All that I've seen in person were big, slick, healthy looking deer. That could be road rash from a too close auto encounter I guess. I was going home one night years ago and a doe jumped out in front of me on a wet road and I smacked her as I was almost fully stopped. I had a pipe bumper with upright grill guards on it (shop made by a not-so-hot welder) and you could see the imprint on her sides where they took her hair off.

20-Dec-18
Don, I notice that where we hunt in Wyoming that the mule deer have bare spots on the top of their backs. I always thought it was from crossing under fences. pa10point x 2, looks like road rash to me also. Bob

20-Dec-18

hawg's embedded Photo
hawg's embedded Photo
Another pic from last May

20-Dec-18
I see a walking winter kill.

20-Dec-18
Looks like she is shedding her winter coat, see this here in Co. as some don't shed as evenly as other deer. Plus the date you mention is about right for deer shedding.

20-Dec-18
Bare patches on back of buck deer are caused by them working licking branches .

20-Dec-18
Looks like a type of mange to me....

20-Dec-18
There's a couple that look like this all year (note May and December pictures) and I've seen them for several years now. This is my driveway camera at my house and I see them all the time and they appear healthy and normal except for their hair missing. I haven't seen any bucks chasing them though:)

20-Dec-18
Meth

20-Dec-18

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
These bare spots are from fighting where I live.

20-Dec-18

stealthycat's embedded Photo
stealthycat's embedded Photo
a fighter

20-Dec-18
That deer looks horrible, I'd say mange as well...wait...is that just outside of Ft Collins?

P.S. I'm gonna have to move this comment "Bare patches on back of buck deer are caused by them working licking branches"... over to another thread. Where's that silliest things... ;?)

20-Dec-18
Looks like she was run by dogs or yotes...also stealthy always thought it was tick infestation

• Sitka Gear