Sugar 20-Dec-18
Fuzz 20-Dec-18
Kevin Speicher 20-Dec-18
longspeak74 20-Dec-18
midwest 20-Dec-18
Heat 20-Dec-18
Kevin Speicher 22-Dec-18
20-Dec-18
Looking to get a vacuum sealer for the house. Have researched a few, but do you guys have any input on what brand works or doesn't work, for that matter. Hoping this cuts down on the amount of food waste we have; plus I would hope this helps with food prep for my upcoming trips.

20-Dec-18
I got a Food Saver from Walmart.

Has worked for three years so far. 6 elk, At least 10 deer, a bunch of trout and pike, and a couple hundred pounds of beef steaks, various leftovers and still working.

I am sure there are better commercial models out there but I am surprised how good this thing has held up!

20-Dec-18
Several threads on it fairly recently. Just google "vacuum sealer bowsite".

I've had a FoodSaver for many years. Recently bought a couple boxes of assorted vacuum rolls off their website for a great price.

20-Dec-18
Bryan, I also have a Food Saver model FM 5480. Kids gave it to me for xmas a couple of years ago. Use it often with no problems.

20-Dec-18
Food Saver was one of the models I have been researching; got some decent reviews and seem to be one of the more cost-effective ways to go.

20-Dec-18
To be perfectly honest I've always kept my ear to the ground on all things vacuum sealer. I bought a commercial Weston unit because it sounded like the best and I have no complaints. I wanted to be able to do massive amounts and pump out package after package and it does just that. But for a casual or "normal" user I really haven't heard many negative reviews about almost ANY product. It seems like they're all good from the cheap Food savers, to the mid price Cabelas units and the more expensive units. So unless you know you're going to run the thing into the ground, I don't think there is reason to spend a ton of money here. Even so, if you want to try it, get a cheap unit and see what you think. That's my opinion. I don't think it's a "get what you pay for" type deal necessarily.

20-Dec-18
Food Saver great for the money. Whatever you buy, get quality bags, cheap off brand bags seem to give us problems.

20-Dec-18
Thanks for the info guys. There's only 2.5 of us in the house, but this thing would get plenty of use.

20-Dec-18
Weston

20-Dec-18
I also have a food sealer.. very happy with it’

20-Dec-18
VacMaster....

20-Dec-18
VacMaster X2, I have the VP215 and it has been flawless. I believe the chamber style sealers give you a better/tighter seal. They are on the expensive side so it depends on how often you will use it.

20-Dec-18
We'll be using this often, more in Summer/Fall with garden and hunting. How do the bags take to boiling? Meaning can I just drop a bag in boiling water in the back country?

20-Dec-18
yes, been doing it for years. I now double seal the stuff I'm going to boil. I had a couple of seals fail and lost all the food in the boiling water a couple years ago. I think having the bottom of the bag against the bottom of the hot pot with likely too high of heat caused the seal to fail. Boiled pulled pork requires extra bbq sauce. :-/

20-Dec-18
Food Saver has a number of their models on sale. Worth a look on their site.

22-Dec-18
There is a Food Saver on Camofire today for $32, hard to pass that deal if you are looking for vacuum sealer.

• Sitka Gear