Scar Finga 21-Dec-18
Scar Finga 21-Dec-18
flyingbrass 21-Dec-18
Well-Strung 21-Dec-18
Scar Finga 21-Dec-18
Well-Strung 21-Dec-18
Scar Finga 21-Dec-18
20-Dec-18
Does anyone have any feedback on this sharpener? I have their broadhead sharpener and have been using it to sharpen replacement blades for the last 3 years with great results. I really don't want to debate price vs value, just how well does it work? How is the workmanship? How long have you had it and/or has it worn out or broke?

20-Dec-18
I have it. It is wonderful and works as advertised. I bought the diamond stone set. I basically only use the course stone. Once I am done with the course stone it shaves no problem. I also use it on broadheads that fit. Knives are no problem. Single bevels are no problem.

20-Dec-18
The only thing I had to buy were replacement stones because I used it so much my stones got worn. I sharpen my replacement SLick Trick blades and all my knives with it.

20-Dec-18
I have both BH sharpener and knife sharpener. (Stone) I love them both and only use the coarse stone if the knife bevel is screwed up. For well maintained kitchen knives, I will touch them up with medium. For my hunting knives, I will use the fine (As long as I didn't abuse the knife)

20-Dec-18
I’ve got the broadhead sharpener and the knife sharpener. Both have good quality and are as advertised. I’ve had them for about 3 years and have had no issues with it and haven’t had to replace anything either.

-Mitch

20-Dec-18
I noticed my diamond stone was about worn out after a small amount of broadhead sharpening. I have a bigger stone which makes it even more surprising. Is my stone getting broken in or worn out? My guess is that pushing the blade forward at relatively steep angle is scraping the diamond surface. If I could lower the angle I would. Can I get good results pulling the blades instead of pushing?

21-Dec-18
I looked at one 10 years ago. Always wanted one. The owner is a great guy too. But I looked at it last week and holy smokes the price went through the roof.

21-Dec-18
I have the broadhead sharpener with the regular stones course medium and fine that I would be willing to sell. It works excellent, I just don't use it (Hardly used ay all $85.00 TYD) PM me if interested.

When I bought my knife sharpener, I did a bunch of research and went with the Edge Pro APEX knife sharpener system, I think it's the best bang for the buck, pricey as hell, but RAZOR SHARP and Fast! I like the sharpening table better than the KME. it's very sturdy and easy to use. JMO, but I think it is a better system. Check it ouy and see what you think.

Good Luck,

Scar.

21-Dec-18
Best damn sharpener you'll ever use for nearly any knife you own! I've had mine for close to 10 years!

ElkNut/Paul

21-Dec-18
Works great but I'm slow with it. It's a "down time" sharpener for me. I usually grab a good steel to keep an edge while butchering.

21-Dec-18
I believe theses are similar to Lansky sharpeners. I have a Lansky and it works great for replacement blades on BHs, if and only if the blades are flat. I’ve worn out several sets of stones over 30 years of use.

21-Dec-18
Glunker,

I'm not saying you're doing this, but most people are put too much force against the diamond stone. Diamond stones are extremely sensitive to this. It shouldn't have much more than the weight of the stone and slight hand pressure. One thing most people think when sharpening or grinding is the harder you push the faster it will work. Reality is that coarseness of the stone or whatever other media a person uses, dictates how fast the material is removed. Pressing harder just generates heat and faster wear on the media.

21-Dec-18
Scar, I looked at the Apex, but to me it looks like a person would need to make sure the knife is constantly held flat against the supporting surface. The way that the You Tube video shows it, the person is sharpening a longer bladed knife, so in order to sharpen the full length this person slides the knife parallel to the cutting edge. I'm concerned that I would have a hard time keeping the knife flat against the supporting surface consistently.

21-Dec-18
You are correct, when I first used it I used I applied too much pressure. Does anybody else think the angle is maybe too steep?

21-Dec-18
Bought mine the first year they were a SPONSOR here.......really great set up

21-Dec-18
Helgermite, I sent you a PM.

It's not bad at all, it's actually easier than the Lanski style sharpeners, more accurate, faster and more exact once you get the hang of it. 3-4 knives and it's second nature.

I HAVE NO AFFLIATION WITH EDGE!!!! I have owned almost every other system, and I gave them all away when I bought and used my EDGE a few times.

There is a reason it's more expensive, It's like divorce... It's expensive because it's worth it. LOL

21-Dec-18
KME and Lansky are similar like Toyota and Lexus are similar. I've had mine for years as well. Same as the day I bought it. Glunker I'm trying to figure out what you mean by angle to steep? You can change the angle.

21-Dec-18
APauls,

I never said the KME wasn't a good system, I was only giving my opinion. You can have your favorite and I can have mine... This isn't a who's got the biggest pecker contest, just opinions... Kinda like broadheads, only mine is better:) LOL, Relax! And actually, Toyota makes Lexus so what's your point? One costs more but in all reality is the same vehicle... By the way, I own a Lexus and have owned many several Toyotas. One is just a littl nicer, but built on the chasis with most of the same parts. Kinda like GMC and Chevy.

Scar.

21-Dec-18
Oh, And I own a GMC as well...

21-Dec-18
One of the few items on the internet that works as well as it should! The stones are mined right down the road from my place here in Arkansas! I love to support the people who support my business. So please order the natural stones, not the diamond.

21-Dec-18
Scar you lost me at GMC.

KME is a suped up Lansky. Looks like KME just ripped off Lansky design and made it with better materials. At least Apex edge tried to make it look like they didnt rip off lansky design.

I have used Lansky, KME and Wicked edge. Either produce a great edge with practice. Ive moved over to Wicked edge now that I forge/make knives and time is money.

21-Dec-18
Well-Strung, it was kind of a joke... you know... Toyota Vs Lexus... Chevy Vs GMC comparisons, they are the same vehicles, more or less.

That was my point about the KME and the Lansky's, they are basically built on the same platforms. They aren't bad by any means! I used a Lansky (I think I misspelled it in my precious posts) for 15 years, they got my knives pretty sharp, sharp enough to do what I needed by any means! Its when I started sharpening Planer blades and chisels by hand that I got really serious about Razor F'N Sharp! Scary sharp as some put it. Perfectly flat on one side and the perfect angle on the other. I just found that for me, the Edge system worked the best. You may have a different result because you will do it differently than I will.

I don't get to worked up about stuff man, I was just having fun. I even sent APauls a PM that said just that. I have a lot of respect for that guy!

I haven't tried the wicked edge, but I have heard very good things about it. I like the set up, but decided to go a different route.

They all work, some just work better for some people more than others. (just like broadheads:)

God Bless!

Scar

21-Dec-18
Im just teasing Scar! Ive owned a GMC. Im sure I'll eventually try a Apex. Much respect to all.

21-Dec-18
^^^ Awesome another Bowsiter with a sense of humor! ^^^^

• Sitka Gear