Medicinemann 22-Dec-18
Alexis Desjardins 22-Dec-18
dingo 22-Dec-18
20-Dec-18

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Pic of arrow trapped in deer with new bone growth
Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Pic of arrow trapped in deer with new bone growth
Anyone know the origin of the photo with the arrow stuck in a rib cage with new bone growth?

20-Dec-18
https://www.livescience.com/62819-deer-ribcage-arrow.html

20-Dec-18
Fascinating!

21-Dec-18
Great pic.. old Fred bear 145s..

21-Dec-18
Looks like someone in a treestand had a deer right under them and may have been thinking..."I got this one!!!"...........................NOT!

21-Dec-18
"I got this one!!!"... Yea I was thinking the same thing, right through the boiler room and no blood trail.. Wonder how much sleep was lost. Neat pic though.

21-Dec-18
When you're above them, the closer they are the trickier the shot angle gets, as that "window" becomes a slit!

21-Dec-18
Fixed blades don't penetrate worth crap, shoulda been a passthrough lol. That has to be one of the most interesting pictures ever.

21-Dec-18

longbeard's embedded Photo
longbeard's embedded Photo
Not to hijack this thread but I thought this was an interesting find. I was out looking for sheds and came across this skull. Obviously with the angle of the arrow stuck in the antlers, that shot was from above. But, was that the first shot or a follow up shot that went south?

21-Dec-18
That arrow turned in armour for that critter. Wild animals are amazing.

21-Dec-18
Another fixed blade failure. Geeesh!

21-Dec-18
Ah ha......but it DIDN'T fail Charlie! It went where it was shot and even if it had gone clear through the deer still would have most likely walked away from it. This is more accurately a case of SHOOTER failure.

21-Dec-18
I’ve never found a rage like that! Found a muzzy that had started to.

21-Dec-18
Either it was an errant shot/shot placement, or the 1st or 2nd rib deflected the arrow. Arrows and bullets aren't Laaaazers (in my best Dr. Evil voice). I'd imagine 2blade bh's are more susceptible to deflection especially when the stars align and the flat side of the bh encounters a flat rib.

I know of a guy who shot a small buck w/ a forward deploying bh, hit it high and steep being as his stand was scaffolding, the front edges perfectly caught the top of 2 rips and basically hinged the arrow into the spine.

21-Dec-18
Elkhorn, you're exactly right, you will never find a rage in one piece after a hit like that.

21-Dec-18
Shrapnel!

21-Dec-18
Ohio the muzzy was in excellent shape. Haha

21-Dec-18
well longbeard that shot obviously killed him!

21-Dec-18
Maybe a branch or deer reaction to the shot???

21-Dec-18
Would like to know the year... Can't tell the shaft but the broadhead is a Bear Razorhead... If ya think about it the 2-blade cut on contact broadhead actually penetrated 5 ribs at their thickest...

Hey longbeard - Years ago I stuck one in a bucks rack, actually at about the same location, but wasn't that deer nor broadhead...8^) The impact actually knocked him to his knees though...

22-Dec-18

dingo's embedded Photo
dingo's embedded Photo

22-Dec-18
Dingo, is that one of those old plastic/fiber or whatever inserts?

22-Dec-18
That photo of the ribcage is amazing!!

22-Dec-18
That’s something to see.

22-Dec-18

dingo's embedded Photo
dingo's embedded Photo
Ohio-FMJ shaft with Easton inserts. . 460grns total. The arrow wasn’t footed, the shaft split out at the end of the arrow and the head broke off at the threads when the critter fell. Usually the shaft will snap about 1/3 of the way back as fmj’s don’t have a lot of shear strength but my guess would be that with the weight of the animal and the leverage due to the length of the arrow there was a lot of torque on that head and it broke at the weakest point.

I haven’t seen the ribcage pic before... amazing!

• Sitka Gear