stagetek 26-Dec-18
fishnride 26-Dec-18
wkochevar 26-Dec-18
loesshillsarcher 27-Dec-18
Candor 27-Dec-18
DanJ 30-Dec-18
DanJ 30-Dec-18
21-Dec-18
Wasn't really sure where to start this. Could start from two years ago when I got a ram (story link from before here) as I knew I'd have to sit out a season (rules in AB) but would have enough priority points to pull a late season archery sheep tag and I was already planning in my mind. Or I could start when I actually confirmed I pulled the tag. With point creep I was only a 33% chance going in with 9 points but came out lucky. Either way, upon pulling the tag and despite the prior thinking, I was uncertain as to my exact plan going into the season.

The Canmore late season tag allows a hunter to hunt through 3 months - the general season of Sept/Oct and then, uniquely, through November. The overall number of rams that have come out of the general season are quite minimal. The generally accepted opportunity lies within November as sheep migrate into the zone as Winter encroaches and the rut ensues. This is the same time at which the non-residents descend on the zone in company of the outfitters. There have been a number of great posts on here from some prior hunters visiting this area.

My plan was to hunt the early season reasonably hard on the off-chance of a ram showing up and then hunt the last 2 weeks of November hard. My other key decision was to hunt using a trad setup. There were a number of factors that went into the decision. I'll list a few. Firstly, the odds of a truly big ram showing up are relatively low in 410. It's a great zone to get a ram - but it's not statistically a monster ram location. I thought that if I took the trad bow out I could keep the bar low and set my sights on any legal ram. An archery ram is a feat of it's own, to get one with a trad bow would be that much more challenging. The second key factor for me was I figured the November tag was the best opportunity to be able to get close enough for a shot with the trad setup. For what it's worth, both of those reasons dissolved through the course of the season, but they were the foundation of my logic to start.

During an early season scouting mission I managed to destroy some tiny, but critical, muscle in my back. September turned out to be a write-off for hunting. I managed to get out near the end with a buddy for a day of elk hunting. We ended up knocking over a pair of elk. I gained some confidence in my condition as we each packed out our elk that day. October hunting was mostly dismantled due to a hectic work travel schedule. I slipped out for a few days near the end of the season and packed camp into a location I decided to base my November hunting from. From that point on I started to turn up the effort.

Early in November I managed to generate a few encounters. In one of those encounters I managed to get in tight on a legal ram and ended up passing up the shot. I recall messaging a few friends trying to find some clarity in my goals. No clear answer came. The best response I got was "you know what you want". Which was part of the problem - I wasn't sure. A few days later I snuck in close to the same ram and sat above it feeling the same uncertainty. High up on the slope, I found a bit of a cell signal and ended up calling the wife. Talked to her a bit about my internal dialogue. Felt guilty being away from home for so long in combination with the work travel, etc. Her instructions: you've got the time off, you've got the camp setup, you've pulled the tag and won't likely get it again, so enjoy the time on the mountain and make whatever decision seems best. That was the turning point for me mentally - the weight was lifted and my goal was clear. Mission: pass any younger ram and hold out for something good. Embrace the experience of the hunt and make the most of the time off. I thanked her at the end of the season for that moment.

A cool vid clip of some rams butting heads that I watched with one of my main hunting buddies who came to help out for a few days early on. https://www.instagram.com/p/BrRTbN9hDMP/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1lqo03vc970fo (should be able to navigate to link without an account...)

Here's one of the rams that I got close to a few times as described above:

During those first few weeks I met up with a non-res hunter along with his guide. They were great guys to deal with and we stayed out of each others way easily enough. They ended up getting a chance on the ram above and were successful (well earned). Some really interesting pics on their adventure were shared by the guide here on his instagram feed. It's an entire story in and of itself:https://www.instagram.com/p/BqYpR3TBNY-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nqatg875ecyd

I enjoyed my routine in camp and on the mountain for the most part. As the season progressed the number of resident and guided hunters increased. I was surprised by how willing many of the resident hunters were to hunt in areas where they knew other hunters were already hunting. The concept seemed strange to me. It was readily apparent the stranglehold that the outfitters have on the zone as well. If resident hunters seemed to be willing to overlap in hunting areas, the outfitters simply felt entitled to hunt "their" spots no matter the circumstances. I get why it happens. Not making a statement as to what is right; but sharing it as I did find it to be a factor that I didn't enjoy. I guess I was naive to think that people would see a guy setup in a spot and move on to another area. The willingness to chalk it up to "well that's sheep hunting" didn't sit well with me. Some guys I met were great and respected each others space, but many did not. How things go is up to the individuals involved. I found myself hiking out of the main areas during busy days to find more secluded hunting and avoid the pressure.

One memory that sticks out was when a buddy noted he could make it into camp to help if I wanted and asked if he should bring anything. I half-jokingly suggested a nice bottle of Cab Sauv. He showed up in camp and said he couldn't find an open store but found a can of Kokanee beer in his fridge so brought it up. In the situation, it wasn't half bad. We had some fun hunting too!

Near the end of the season I decided to pull camp with 4 days remaining - I didn't want to finish the season with the sense of just sitting around waiting. Those last 4 days I hiked different mountains and drainages trying to track down a good ram. I found some more squeakers but still couldn't find 'the one'. On the final day a buddy joined me and we focused on watching a few groups of ewes that we knew of. We kept rotating throughout the morning checking the different groups. On the third occasion checking one group a ram had shown up - and a good one at that. It was the afternoon of the last day and I found myself slipping up the mountain trying to get into position to get an arrow on the way!

I managed to sneak up through some timber and came out close to the group of sheep. The ewes were feeding slightly uphill of my position but the ram was perfectly in line with me on the slope. A key learning from that moment is that a ram won't just stand broadside facing steep uphill or downhill. Rather, the ram faced me for a moment and when it noticed me in the trees, spun and ran out a bit facing straight away from me. The ewes and ram ran up and off up the slope. I followed slowly behind and saw the ewes cut back underneath a rock wall. I knew the ram would follow right behind so I tried to move quickly up to cut him off. Exactly as anticipated the ram came in along the same path. He noticed me and paused; that was all the time I needed and the arrow was off. I saw the arrow slide right through the wheelhouse and the ram ran off.

I can remember the moments after every arrow I've loosed on an animal - they're all special. This one was much the same. It wouldn't be until the next day that things really sunk in though.

I've left out many details. It was mentally tough, physically tough. Conditions were challenging. I could spend days trying to capture all the thoughts, moments and experiences. People on here have done it better than I would attempt. I hope most of the moments stay with me. I appreciated all the time I spent solo. I value the time where I had friends join me. I have many more photos as well. But this is what you get. Thanks for reading!

21-Dec-18
Wow! That’s gotta be the greatest feeling ever. Ram with a stick. Congrats!!!

21-Dec-18
I thought you said there were no monsters in the area....holy crap. That certainly is something with trad gear. My hats off to you on a great hunt.

21-Dec-18
Simply awesome! Congrats on grinding it out and getting it done. What a feeling that must have been!

21-Dec-18
Congrats to you sir! Way to not let others take you away from your dream.

21-Dec-18
Congrats on a great hunt! Thank you for sharing!

21-Dec-18
just unbelievable . unreal accomplishment.

21-Dec-18
Congrats to you....well done!

21-Dec-18
Great for You!

What a dandy Ram

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

21-Dec-18
I echo all above. What a feat, way to persevere! Great write up too. Big congrats to you!

21-Dec-18
Congratulations for a fine hunt. Quite a accomplishment!!!

21-Dec-18
Very cool! Congrats!!

21-Dec-18
Now that's a true definition of getting it done. Congrats sir

21-Dec-18
Excellent accomplishment! Congratulations!!

21-Dec-18
What a ram congrats!

21-Dec-18
Beautiful ram. Congrats.

21-Dec-18
Helluva accomplishment. Congrats!

21-Dec-18
Very cool... congrats!!

21-Dec-18
My hat is truly off to you. One of the hardest-earned bowhunting trophies in the world, and you took a monster. An absolute dream hunt.

21-Dec-18
Very nice ram and even better storytelling. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a tremendous accomplishment.

21-Dec-18
He's a beauty.....congrats on your well-earned success.

21-Dec-18
What a great ram, a huge congrats!

21-Dec-18
Your hunt defines the best of everything that is bowhunting. A beautiful ram with a recurve in a physically and mentally demanding hunt in the final hours. Congratulations!!! Super happy for you Pal!

21-Dec-18
Great hunt, congrats

21-Dec-18
A huge congrats. Way to choose a way to hunt and what you're hunting for and stick with it. That doesn't always yield success in terms of a kill, but this tale sure had a happily ever after! Truly outstanding and again, congratulations

21-Dec-18
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing.

21-Dec-18
Congrats on persevering and connecting on a great ram!

-Mitch

21-Dec-18
What an awesome ram and a great story to start the day! Congratulations on one heck of an accomplishment!

21-Dec-18
Wow! Congrats!

21-Dec-18
Awesome hunt! Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing!

21-Dec-18
Awesome Ram! Congrats. I've also hunted Canmore with Sharpstick...such a great experience and could be that much better with some intelligent WMU management, where the outfitters don't have all 3 major basins "locked" up...

21-Dec-18
Simply amazing!!!

21-Dec-18
Congrats Dan your effort, attitude and persistence are inspiring. An accomplishment to be very proud of.

21-Dec-18
Amazing accomplishment. As good as it gets.

21-Dec-18
What a great accomplishment!! Congrats on the ram and thank you for sharing.

21-Dec-18
Impressive, to say the least! Congrats!

21-Dec-18
The only thing I don't like about this..........is that you don't have more pictures and a longer story with more details!!! :) I really really enjoy threads like this and yours is no exception! CONGRATS on a beautiful ram, phenomenal experience, and a true trophy in so many ways! Thanks for sharing!

21-Dec-18
Tremendous accomplishment...Congrats

21-Dec-18
Congratulations!! Beautiful ram! More pictures please!

21-Dec-18
Congrats on a great ram Dan, and thanks so much for sharing your story. This reminds me why I check the Bowsite everyday. I guess with any public forum, you have to put up with a lot of daily nonsense, hoping to find a thread of real value like this one in a while. I really appreciated your perspective on the relationship between resident hunters and outfitters/guides. Having been fortunate enough myself to have Sheep hunted Canmore twice, I never encountered any resident hunters, other than in a parking lot at the trailhead. But it's really interesting to see it through your lens. Obviously, the outfitter, despite having much more at stake and much more invested, has no more "right" to any ram or area then the resident hunter, and as the non-resident client, I'd be willing to bet, in most cases anyway, the guy'd be unaware there was even a conflict if the residents are steering clear of the areas the outfitters have "locked up" to begin with. But it's interesting to think about as I sit here and stare at the ram on my wall, many years later, for sure. Your introspective on holding out for a better ram with your wife's help was also great to read. Your a wonderful storyteller, although short stories seem to be your strong suit... Anyway, great job on a great ram and thanks again for bringing us along. And please, do post some more photos of that beautiful ram if you can.

21-Dec-18
Great write up and well earned Ram, congratulations.

21-Dec-18
Incredible! Congrats and hats off to you:)

21-Dec-18
I like the way it was written up,nice job.congratulations.

21-Dec-18
Thank you for sharing this awesome hunt! One comment, sharing too many pictures from a Canmore Sheep has happened, NEVER! Please follow up. Thanks again.

21-Dec-18
Congratulations! What an awesome ram and incredible hunt, thanks for sharing!

21-Dec-18
That's so awesome. Great job and thanks for sharing. Truly special.

21-Dec-18
Amazing, thanks for sharing!

21-Dec-18
Dan, Sounds like a somewhat frustrating but rewarding experience. Beautiful ram and really enjoyed the read. Great to see a hard work, respectful hunter like you come through with success. Even without getting an animal, I know you would have enjoyed the experience regardless. But it is even better to see you found a great animal in the end! Congrads.

Darren B. PS Sounds like elk are getting too easy for you! Love to see if a picture of them if you get the chance to send!

21-Dec-18
Awesome stuff!! Congrats!

21-Dec-18
Very impressive. Grats on a great ram.

21-Dec-18
Thanks for sharing that. Awesome Ram!

21-Dec-18
Way Cool! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the story and pics. Wonderful ending.

21-Dec-18
A great ram and a special story.You are a incredably humble man,thank you,great job.

21-Dec-18
Great ram, great story! Thank you for taking the time to share!

21-Dec-18
Great story and ram! Congrats on a very special adventure.

21-Dec-18
Awesome and congratulations!

21-Dec-18
Wow! Well done sir.

21-Dec-18
Well written. Great job all the way around.

21-Dec-18
Great story and incredible ram!! Thanks for posting!!! Hunt

21-Dec-18
Awesome writeup, thanks for taking us along. A ram with a stick is an incredible feat!! Congrats!

21-Dec-18
Wow!

21-Dec-18
Dan, that story/hunt raised up the hair on the back of my neck. Nicely done all around.

my best, Paul

21-Dec-18
Tremendous. What an accomplishment! My hats off to you. That is so dang cool

21-Dec-18
Really is hard to express what a ram feels like in your hands and your hunt highlights that. Beauty!

21-Dec-18
That's an incredible ram and story. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

21-Dec-18
Great Job! What a Ram!

21-Dec-18
Way cool, CONGRATULATIONS!

21-Dec-18
Yes!!! Awesome ram and hunt

21-Dec-18
Great story and ram! Congrats on a very special adventure.

21-Dec-18
You sir, have done the ultimate. Congratulations.

21-Dec-18
Dang, surprised by and highly appreciate the response - thank you for the congrats. I'll dig through some photos and put a few more up. I hesitate to share photos these days as inevitably it ends up creating pressure on specific locations etc. Since it's a limited late-season opportunity I'll waive some of that concern and be a little more open. Honestly, I hesitated to even make the original post. But I do enjoy reading some of the well put together reports that show up here once and awhile and aim to contribute back... Will put up a few more pics.

21-Dec-18
Let's see if instagram embed codes work here:

21-Dec-18
Another view of the ram from the left. He was a little more broomed on this side. 9.5 years old. All a guy can ask for...

21-Dec-18
A ram that walked right in while I was glassing:

Hiking out from my main camp with a buddy:

A little wine and cheese action for the evening:

Spike camp setup. Some non-res folks will recognize this spot. No one was up there when I hiked in including any decent rams...

21-Dec-18
A little bonus side action - Ptarmigan.

Younger ram working the crowd:

One of the rams that kept tempting me early on...

22-Dec-18
Awesome pictures Dan I will never get to do one of these hunts as the body and the bank are to broke. But I will never get tired of hearing and seeing these on Bowsite thanks to all who contribute!

22-Dec-18
Wow! Congrats on a great ram, DanJ! Great write up and photos as well! Thanks for taking the time to share them with us!

22-Dec-18
And on the last day too! A hearty congratulations and well done! So glad you shared.

22-Dec-18
Those sheep steaks look tasty!

22-Dec-18
Unreal! Way to go.

22-Dec-18
Thanks for the extra photos. They are so wonderful to gaze at and imagine I am right there.

22-Dec-18
Great pics thanks. What a wonderful opportunity you residents are blessed with.

22-Dec-18
Amazing photos and experience. I drew the tag in 2010 and it was likely the toughest mentally and physically that I've hunted in a long time. Some amazing highs and lows, and no tag filled for me but some lessons that will last a lifetime!

24-Dec-18
Tell us about your make of bow and arrow combo

24-Dec-18
Awesome. Congrats on the ram! Sheep hunting sure is tough. I always enjoy reading about these canmore hunts!

Funny to hear the guide encounter. I had similar experience on my sheep hunt here in Colorado. Some interesting encounters with outfitters who think they own the mtns and the sheep

24-Dec-18
Beauty! Congratulations, Dan! Appreciate these type of stories. A sheep is definitely on my bucket list.

24-Dec-18
Fantastic Trophy, amazing bowhunt!

Well done, Sir!

24-Dec-18
Outstanding... congratulations. I really enjoyed the read and pics. Ed F

24-Dec-18
Congratulations on a dandy ram! Well earned and great write up!

24-Dec-18
Canmore stories are my favorite...Congrats...Fantastic accomplishment.

25-Dec-18
Great hunt and well deserved trophy!

26-Dec-18
Incredibly inspiring! Just WOW !!!

26-Dec-18
Incredible. Just about all I need to leave CO and try to get residency in AB.

26-Dec-18
Thoroughly enjoyed the story and photos. Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.

26-Dec-18
The extra photo's are great! Thanks!

26-Dec-18
Great job! Your story says a lot about staying with your plan and not giving it up when it got tough.

26-Dec-18
Beautiful!!

26-Dec-18
That is incredible man, congratulations!

26-Dec-18
Very impressive.

26-Dec-18
And that is why I read bowsite. Awesome!

26-Dec-18
Nicely done...Congrats on a great ram!

27-Dec-18
Congrats!!

27-Dec-18
DanJ - great pictures and story. Thank you for taking the time to write it up so we could experience it with you.

Amen to your point about your wife supporting you to stick with it. It is difficult to focus when you feel you need to be somewhere else.

30-Dec-18
Thanks guys!

1Longbow – I used a Hoyt Satori ILF riser with 50lb limbs. I was originally going to do it with my longbow but wanted something that was a takedown for backpacking. Also, figured it would be a pretty stable setup in the event temps dropped down into the -20’s and wasn't sure how some of the wood riser bows would handle that.

30-Dec-18
Thanks guys!

1Longbow – I used a Hoyt Satori ILF riser with 50lb limbs. I was originally going to do it with my longbow but wanted something that was a takedown for backpacking. Also, figured it would be a pretty stable setup in the event temps dropped down into the -20’s and wasn't sure how some of the wood riser bows would handle that.

• Sitka Gear