drycreek 21-Dec-18
sitO 22-Dec-18
Paul@thefort 22-Dec-18
TD 26-Dec-18
Paul@thefort 26-Dec-18
21-Dec-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
We have all been there not knowing how the season or the daily hunt might go. This morning was no exception to that. If the geese would not come to me, I would go to them. Stand by for the rest of the story and some help from a friend.

21-Dec-18
Bring it on!

21-Dec-18
A story with a twist!!

21-Dec-18
Patiencely waiting for the rest of the story Paul.

21-Dec-18
OK, well you guys saw that I have spoken to the local eagle once in a while and we worked out sort of a deal. The eagle told me that if I wounded a few he would be happy to pick them up and carry them away. My response was, "well I do not miss or wound too many but if one gets away, you are welcome to it". He said," ok, deal. I will fly over the the geese in the mornings and get them heading your way"

It happened this morning just like that. See the above picture of the local eagle at 8 am this morning.

21-Dec-18

but it was not 5 minutes after the eagle passed that this pair showed up with locked winds and heading for the spread. Man, that eagle kept his word.
but it was not 5 minutes after the eagle passed that this pair showed up with locked winds and heading for the spread. Man, that eagle kept his word.
they landed 23 yards away but in the taller grass and I had to wait until they stood up. Chase was whining loudly.
they landed 23 yards away but in the taller grass and I had to wait until they stood up. Chase was whining loudly.
I placed the 23 yard pin on this one and let the arrow fly, should be an easy shot, ie, a "slam dunk" for sure. I MISSED!
I placed the 23 yard pin on this one and let the arrow fly, should be an easy shot, ie, a "slam dunk" for sure. I MISSED!
As usual, around 8 am the geese started to fly off the lake and headed for green pastures or corn fields.

21-Dec-18
After the two geese departed I thought about the other shots I had taken over the past 8 seasons hunting geese on this property. No doubt I had missed a few up close and personal "slam dunks" but I also have made a few remarkable long shot also. To date, a 44 yard shot last year, a few 40 yards, and many under 30 yards. Who knows why one might miss a close "slam dunk" shot and then make a longer more difficult shot right after. Concentration, luck, form, etc.?

21-Dec-18

So the morning continued with this local flock coming right over but they decided to land two properties over. By 9 am the flight was over but I decided to stay until 9:30.

21-Dec-18

At 9:30 I gathered up the decoys but then noticed a few geese on the other side of the barn and towards the highway. Maybe, just maybe, I could take the hunt to them! I returned to the truck, put Chase in the bed, and headed for the barn to see how close I could get to the geese. Spot and stalk for sure.

21-Dec-18

60 yard pin
60 yard pin
The odds were slim to done to kill a goose this morning but lets see. I round the barn and ranged the 6 geese. 112 yards. Got to get closer. With the sun at my back and a few trees in the way, I moved closer. 75 yards. I moved closer, very slow. They detected me but only moved slightly but on alert. Now at 65 yards. Got to get a little closer. Now at 60 yards. I dialed my single pin sight to 60 yards. Pulled back, pin on the closest, released. Arrow on its way!

21-Dec-18
Well.......? Were you shooting into this wicked wind we've got around here today and still waiting for your arrow to cover that 60 yards?

21-Dec-18
Franklin is going to be so disappointed in your unethical ness! Yes I made up a word! Nobody is allowed to shoot past 20!

21-Dec-18
Arrow still in the air.

21-Dec-18

Well , I gotta say, if this was the final shot at the Archer Olympics, well it hit the 12 ring.

Goose number 59. Will there be a #60? So 5 geese since Sunday and a few days to go before I hang it up for the season, as I will be heading down to AZ to deer hunt during the January season, on Dec 27. Thanks for following along.

21-Dec-18
Awesome shot Paul. Good luck in AZ.

21-Dec-18
Very cool!

21-Dec-18
Heck of a shot Paul!

21-Dec-18
Wow Paul, great shot!!! Go get #60 Paul.

Ucsdryder: I was thinking the exact same thing :)

21-Dec-18
Nice! Very, very nice Paul.

21-Dec-18
Killer !

22-Dec-18
"The arrow is still in the air"...love it! Congrats Paul, have a Merry Christmas and good luck again in AZ!

22-Dec-18
No bait Justin, just good old fashion goose hunting, except with the bow. Actually this was the first goose I have ever spot and stalked and along with the goose I killed with the recurve bow, both of those will stand out over the years.

Geese are interesting to hunt as unlike a turkey for example if wounded might run/fly and hid and usually get away, a goose does not have the instinct to hid very well unless on the water or thick march. Open field, not much of an issue to recovery.

26-Dec-18
Great job Paul...... 60 is a pretty good poke with a 12 gauge. =D

First honker I ever killed was spot and stalk.... but I was about 10 or 12 and it was with a 20 gauge 870..... crawled along a fence line in some wheat stubble. Was so young I couldn't operate the pump on my shoulder, had to bring it down to cycle it. My last shot, I remember my oldest brother telling me don't shoot, they're too far...... boom! Broke a wing and it hit the ground running. Brother took my gun and wouldn't let me shoot it again, had to go chase it down and catch it. Big Canadian honker..... thing nearly beat me to death.....

26-Dec-18
Tom, that was the longest bow shot I had ever taken but I was confident on the broadside stationary goose. A ranger finder and a single pin adjustable sight worked out well. A little luck also helped. Yes they are strong birds but interesting, when Chase comes near to grab them, then just freeze in place and try to hid. my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear