Scar Finga 31-Dec-18
Native Okie 01-Jan-19
IdyllwildArcher 01-Jan-19
Boris 01-Jan-19
wild1 01-Jan-19
Bou'bound 01-Jan-19
SaltyB 01-Jan-19
22-Dec-18
I'm kind of new at compound shooting and was wondering which magazine seems to have the best technical articles? I've been getting Bowhunter for the past year or so, but they mostly have hunting stories-which I enjoy- but don't do much for increasing my knowledge in the new found area.

Thanks,

TMBB

22-Dec-18
Western hunter

22-Dec-18
I'm being completely honest when I say this.

Bowsite has the best technical advise.

When I started out in the bowhunting world as a teenager I bought as many magazine subscriptions as I could find. I read every single issue cover to cover and took most of it as gospel. As I grew older and wiser and became the best bow tech I could be, I realized that well over 90% of the tech articles written and published were/are wrong. Much the same way that TV hunters are poor representations of archery, so too are magazine writers.

Your money would be better spent buying a good book rather than a magazine. "Idiot-Proof Archery" would be a good start. The best published tuning aid is "The Nuts and Bolts of Archery".

Just one mans honest opinion.

22-Dec-18
Bowhunting Magazine has articles every month on tech. They also have articles on improving your shooting accuracy. They have been helpful to me over the years.

22-Dec-18
x-man X 2

22-Dec-18
The internet will get you more and better tech advise in an afternoon then you will get from any magazine in a year. The only bowhunting specific magazine I still get is bowhunter, I cut everything else out as they were mostly BS product pimps. Bugle from RMEF, P&Y ethic, WSF are the only actual print magazines I read, none which provide and technical archery info.

22-Dec-18
I know it's taboo to say it on here, but AT has faaar more technical information than this site. I would look there before any magazine. You can PM me any specific questions/details also if you need some tips.

22-Dec-18
Whatever the one Joe Bell writes for, he writes some good stuff, had learned a lot by reading him

22-Dec-18
Elkman you are, there are couple guys on AT that top shelf with bow tuners thats four sure.

22-Dec-18
What ground hunter said.

22-Dec-18
I have learned more from Bowsite and Archery Talk than all the magazines.

The old search function was a great resource for tech topics but doesn't work too well anymore.

22-Dec-18
I agree with various forums being great resources but I will also say one of the problems with the internet is “everyone’s an expert”... I’ve seen good advice but I’ve also seen advice that ranges from bad to downright dangerous - so just take any suggestions with a grain of salt if u don’t know the source that well...

22-Dec-18
My go to’s are Bowsite and AT for tech questions or problems. They both have reputable, knowledgeable techies.

Randy Ulmer articles are all I’m interested in magazine-wise.

23-Dec-18
I also am a Randy Ulmer fan. I have learned a lot about shooting from his small tips and tricks. They have added some polish to my shooting skills. Someone once described him as a "shooting machine". When he gives a tip, I take note.

23-Dec-18
Check out the Nock On YouTube channel with John Dudley.

I agree on AT having the best tech advice but I can't stand filtering through all the garbage.

23-Dec-18
Here, Archery Talk and You Tube combined with a decent set or archery tools and you should be able to tackle 90-95% of all your archery needs. I had to become a competent bow tech as I had less than positive experiences at the only two pro shops less than an hours drive from my home. I concur 100% with x-man as I own both books he recommends and they are as good as is currently available.

26-Dec-18
"As I grew older and wiser and became the best bow tech I could be, I realized that well over 90% of the tech articles written and published were/are wrong. Much the same way that TV hunters are poor representations of archery, so too are magazine writers."

x-man,

Wow. That is some serious generalization right there. You must be quite the expert. Maybe you should send me something technical so we can help you share your skills with the rest of the bowhunting community.

Curt Wells, Editor, Bowhunter Magazine

26-Dec-18
I actually don't think Xman is far off with that generalization from what I've seen, and read. If you have a technical question feel free to ask me. I'm not scared...

26-Dec-18
Curt,

I'm not interested in fame or fortune, but feel free to send me any tech articles for proof-reading prior to publishing. I'm not on anyone's payroll, my Bowsite advise is free and 99% of the time correct. If I don't know the answer, I don't post. If I post, you can take it to the bank.

I'm sorry if the truth hurts your feelings. That was not my intention.

26-Dec-18
Not that Curt needs defending, but I'm a pretty dang good bow tech and everything I've seen in Bowhunter has been good info. There is definitely an advertisement twist to it, but that pays the bills. Bowhunter was was my go to for archery long before the internet existed and I'll keep subscribing as long as they are around.

26-Dec-18
x-man, Your so-called "truth" certainly didn't hurt my feelings because I don't consider it to be the truth. You're the one that chose to disparage every bowhunter who has written for a magazine or hunted on camera with your condescending, stereotypical comment, which is based on your opinions and assumptions, not truth. To illustrate that, I challenge you to document a single instance where you read something in Bowhunter Magazine, or watched something on Bowhunter TV, that was not the truth. You can't make unsubstantiated claims (like every other "internet expert") unless you can back it up with facts. And if you tell me you're much too smart to read a magazine or watch outdoor television, then how would you know that "well over 90%" of articles written and published are wrong? Take your best shot. Curt

26-Dec-18
I'd still be getting Bowhunter and EBJ if the postage to Canada didn't cost way more than the subscription. But the internet is very fast and subject specific when you want an answer now. Got a funny clicking noise in your Code Red rest? Two minutes will find multiple results and very often give the right answer.

And just like gold mining, sometimes you got to move a lot of gravel to find the nugget you're looking for. You just have to know what gold looks like.

26-Dec-18
To expand on my comments above esp in light of the pissing match which has started-

I still get and read multiple bowhunting magazines including their tech articles. Usually the topics covered are ones I have already seen online. Of the magazine articles the authors I have faith in are Randy Ulmer, Darin Cooper, Curt Wells, John Dudley, Bill Winke, and Dwight Schuh. Many of the magazine articles simply mention names of sponsors and do little to help evaluate different equipment and techniques.

26-Dec-18
Wow,

26-Dec-18
I agree on the Joe Bell statement, best information I have read.

26-Dec-18
I ain't gonna lie, I've learned more (enough to be dangerous, lol) on AT than on Bowsite about working on bows. The problem is you need to learn who to learn from over there. There are some really sharp guys over there. There are bow brand specific forums there too that you can learn and ask questions about your specific bow.

30-Dec-18
I stopped reading archery magazines when two events were detailed within their pages. One incident described an editor purposely shooting a mule deer in the hindquarter, then harrying the animal until it succumbed to blood loss. The other detailed an editor shooting a bull moose that was not of legal size for harvest. If magazines employ these types of persons, what guarantee do I have that they don't fudge their equipment reports to benefits various advertisers. Since there is no such guarantee, I no longer purchase their publications.

30-Dec-18
The late Norb Mullaney's (Bowhunting World) articles were the gold standard. Unfortunately I've never seen anything close to Norb's articles since he retired.

31-Dec-18
Um...I've read a LOT of advice from x-man thru BS over the decades (and received direct responses from him for many of my own questions) ...and I've read a fair amount of articles and tech articles in various magazines...and I'm sticking with x-man...

Curt: x-man referred to 90% of magazine tech advice being rubbish. Perhaps your magazine accounts for the 10% that's all good all the time? Relax man.

31-Dec-18
Perhaps X-man needs to relax. I think his attack on most if not all mags was BS! I have a lot of respect for him, but I call it as I see it! I actually think Curt was right, and X was wrong. He is very smart, and I am not taking anything away from him on that, but I think his approach was uncalled for and out of line... GO Ahead, Fire Away!

31-Dec-18
I didn't "attack" anyone. Please re-read my posts. Please point out where I said "most if not all".

There are and have been some very good tech writers over the years. Len, Norb, John and as of late Joe Bell is very good. The reason I suggested the OP to buy a good book is because it would take a couple years worth of magazines to answer all ones questions about tech and tuning. Why not buy a good book instead? Magazines are a good source of entertainment, but I'll stand by my advise that they are not a good source for tech.

"and that's all I have to say about that"

31-Dec-18
Fair enough, sometimes it's better jus to drop it. God Bless,

Scar

01-Jan-19
I wouldn’t take “advice” from anyone who can’t spell it correctly.

01-Jan-19
"I ain't gonna lie, I've learned more (enough to be dangerous, lol) on AT than on Bowsite about working on bows. The problem is you need to learn who to learn from over there."

This is true. Still, AT has an incredible amount of nonsense to wade through and is poorly moderated.

As far as x-man, I've taken his advice and he's been spot on. The guy knows his shit and he's right, he doesn't post if he doesn't know.

That said, I subscribe to Bowhunter Magazine and it's the only one I read besides the periodicals from the non-profits I'm a member of and it's got really good stuff as well. X-man's claim that a lot of what's in print is worthless, is true. But I'd exclude Bowhunter Magazine from that lump.

When Chuck Adams, Dwight Schuh, Curt Wells, and the like speak, I listen, and it's made me a better bowhunter.

01-Jan-19
I have been shooting archery since I started in Boy Scouts. An that has been over 50 yrs ago. About the last 30 yrs. I have been doing one, taking my bow to the archery shop, let them do the work. My job is to shot the equipment and best I can be.

01-Jan-19
Youtube.

01-Jan-19
Both xman and bowhunter magazine being invaluable resources need not be mutually exclusive concepts.

01-Jan-19
"When Chuck Adams, Dwight Schuh, Curt Wells, and the like speak, I listen, and it's made me a better bowhunter."

Same here.

• Sitka Gear