Rut Nut 31-Dec-18
Kevin Dill 31-Dec-18
M.Pauls 06-Jan-19
Surfbow 06-Jan-19
gunmaster 10-Jan-19
APauls 10-Jan-19
t-roy 10-Jan-19
22-Dec-18
Took one of my sons out for a drive to deliver landowner gifts in appreciation for permission today. Coming down one long driveway I noticed a coyote by a pile of logs. Something didn’t seem quite right so I said to my son Layne, “watch this and stay here”. Jumped out of the truck and chased him down, caught up to him fairly easily as there was something clearly not totally right with him. Kicked him in the side of the head and then he bit my foot. Shook him loose and stepped on his neck and grabbed his hind legs so he couldn’t thrash. Pinned him down until the deed was finished. Maybe a little graphic for some, but I enjoy killing animals any primitive way I can :), and I think a lot on here are quite passionate on eradicating coyotes.

Around here they seem to be getting a little more comfortable around humans. Had one approach my kids at the bus stop about 3 weeks ago and they ran into the house in fear. Didn’t quite believe them but went outside with my bow to walk them back to the end of the drive and sure enough he was standing there looking at me so I deflated him with an arrow. Kids thought that was pretty cool especially since the bus driver watched it all go down :)

22-Dec-18

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo

22-Dec-18
You might want some anti-rabbies shots if a rabbid coyote bit you...

22-Dec-18
Wow! Thats out there!

22-Dec-18
Thumbs up Mathew! Well done

22-Dec-18
Lol animal

22-Dec-18
Crazy Cool!

Love it!

He’s a big one, but I would worry about him being sick with something so be careful handling him! Gloves, etc!!

22-Dec-18
Well done!! Kill um when you can however you can. They eat deer alive until they’re dead. Saved some fawns.

22-Dec-18
Good job a lot of guys would not have tried that now move up to wolf and keep us updated

22-Dec-18
Now that’s a story!

22-Dec-18
Dang! That’s up there pretty high on the “$hit, that ain’t nuthin!” story scale, Matt!! Only lacked “here, hold my beer”! Layne’s buddies at school are gonna be impressed at school, especially with a corroborating eyewitness.

Like others stated, I’d be a bit concerned about something being wrong with that yote.

22-Dec-18
Ha thanks fellas, ya no worries he just latched on to my rubber boot but didn’t puncture so I’m not frothing at the mouth or anything

22-Dec-18
My story is not as exciting as M.Pauls but I did get on off my front porch. It was a bitterly cold day in Jan when I heard something on the front porch. I looked out and saw a mangy yote trying to find a warm place to stay. I slipped into the garage and grabbed my sons baseball bat, hoping that it didn't hear me. I opened the door of the garage thinking it would run away, but it just sat there looking at me. as I swung the bat I just thought I was putting it out of its misery.

Moe

22-Dec-18
Did I ever tell the story about how my nipple got bitten off by a beaver! Lol

Pretty neat to kill a stinky coyote that way.

22-Dec-18

BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo

22-Dec-18
Friggin gorgeous coyote, too!

22-Dec-18
You are alive !!! I’ve never seen Razor Dobbs do that and he claims he is alive!

Congrats. X2 on the rabies shot though

22-Dec-18
Badass! That's some funny stuff there!

22-Dec-18
So how are you on grizzlies ? :-)

22-Dec-18
If he had rabies and got saliva on your boot and you touched your boot with your bare hands to take it off you could contract rabies that way. Had an ancestor who had a rabid skunk bite her dress. When she took the dress off she must of had a small scratch on her hand or something. She died of rabies ! So get the coyote checked.

22-Dec-18
Cool story..I caught a gobbler by hand once. He about whooped my arse! I read a story (freaky) a couple weeks ago about an old couple that let bats live in their house and would pet them. Neither were bitten, but the husband died from rabies that were transferred just from saliva. Might want to get a shot to be safe... once symptoms show, it is to late according to the article.

22-Dec-18
Damn.....

22-Dec-18
Rabies shots not fun. Been there.....last year. A coyote you can catch by hand is NOT a healthy animal. I would be VERY concerned!

22-Dec-18
All I can say is....damn!!!

22-Dec-18

***All I can say is pretty dumb and yet many are giving that dumb stunt a thumbs up!

23-Dec-18
Wow comes to mind

23-Dec-18
You got more stones than me! Glad he didnt bite ya worse. Good story though you won't forget that

23-Dec-18
Impressive story but as you mentioned, something wasnt quite right with the animal. I doubt a fully healthy yote would have hung around to have its a$$ kicked. you should get it tested for rabies

23-Dec-18
Dumb comes to mind. But, at least do something smart and get that bite checked out...soon.

23-Dec-18
Good job on the MMA coyote! Maybe not sick, just injured? Looks big and healthy.

A buddy finished off a bear we hit with a pick up. It was kinda grubbing around on the road, so he hopped in the box and the truck driver backed up to the bear. For some reason the bear tried to climb in the box with him so he grabbed a big Jackall jack and started swinging. Driver panicked, squirted forward and they both fell out. Luckily the bear was substantially dead by then.

23-Dec-18
Them Paul brothers know how toget it done. As I've stated before you guys are Bowsite Rockstars!

23-Dec-18
Video or it didn't happen! Oh...and go get some rabies shots, you might need some of those too...

23-Dec-18
Two buddies and I chased down and caught a young wild pig once when we were in high school, that little sucker bit like crazy...

23-Dec-18
Damn, I'd say you're in a pretty "exclusive club" with that feat!

23-Dec-18
Good on ya, but me, I’ll stick with the .22-250:) Great looking yote too - he sure doesn’t look sick. Fur buyer would like that one!

23-Dec-18
Here, hold my beer....

23-Dec-18
Lol! And I was pretty proud for doing a Texas Hat dance on a possum a few nights ago!

23-Dec-18
#savage!

23-Dec-18
Wow! You, sir, are a bonefide Jackpine Savage!! ...with cojones of steel!

24-Dec-18
Interesting story as are all of the responses! my best, Pau

24-Dec-18
No way am I purposely going hand to hand with any predator- especially if I think it is sick or injured! I'll let my 9mm do the work! ;-)

24-Dec-18
Get the yote tested for Rabies. It was sick. I notice your holding it with your bare hands. Once you develop symptoms, it's to late. 100% fatal!

24-Dec-18
GJ Matt.

Did the bite break the skin or did he just get boot? If he did, you need to take the head with intact skull into whatever Canada's animal control is so they can test it for rabies. As Dooner noted, once you have symptoms, it's too late.

24-Dec-18
I’ll back stagetek. Seems like an unwise move especially with your kid in the truck.

24-Dec-18
Who was holding yur beer? =D

You said "first"...... you plan on doing this again??? heheheh...

24-Dec-18
Awesome. Sounds like fun! Glad to hear someone else lives on the wild side.

24-Dec-18
You're the road runner that turned the tables. Beep beep!

24-Dec-18

ben yehuda 's Link
Unorthodox method for sure, and probably not one I'd try :)

However, in a situation like this news story, with my small kids, the 'yote would definitely get the boot.

24-Dec-18
Hey Bubba, watch this.....!

24-Dec-18
TD, I would do it again given the opportunity for sure. I would consider myself somewhat wild at heart, and have no interest in stifling that. I also don’t really want to have a lack of good stories when I’m old & grey and sharing stories with grandchildren.

As for the “stupid and idiotic” comments, guessing you fellas still wipe the toilet seat before sitting down to pea? Ha! Just kidding, I know all the details weren’t given, but just to clarify once again, the coyote never bit through my boot, and I only touched his hind legs bare handed. For those that don’t know, rabies is 100% fatal, however the vaccine is also 100% effective and you have a large window of time to get this done. I did contact public health to get a vaccine as a preventive measure but based off my info they won’t even give it to me as they say the chances are as good as zero. The saliva is only alive for seconds basically. I pushed so they are coming to get the animal and will test it. If it comes back positive, they agreed to give me a preventative vaccine. Hope that clears the air lol

24-Dec-18

Rut Nut's Link
Here’s an idea if you wanna up your game sometime! ;-)

24-Dec-18
That’s pretty dang cool man.

27-Dec-18
That sounds like fun Matt. Who cares what others say. I ran down a badger and cluned with a tire bar and not long ago either and I'm over 60. I've finished off a couple bears with nothing more than a knife and in close quarters. THAT was fun! Thinking we're in the same wheelhouse when it comes to our sources of entertainment!

27-Dec-18
Not bad! I killed a badger with a shovel once and for anyone thinking about doing it, there's two things you need to know. First, it's going to take more than one swing. Second, after the first swing you're pretty damn well committed!

27-Dec-18
Matt, Emerson killer boots ya got, eh? :)

27-Dec-18
Nick thanks for the chuckle. If I recall correctly a certain young boy and 35 pound coon had the same encounter.

27-Dec-18
"...when I’m old & grey and sharing stories with grandchildren." Setting an example like that with your kid, you may never get the chance.

27-Dec-18
LOL Nick! I went after a badger with a golf club we caught on the street once in high school. I'll just say I definitely ended up needing more than a pitching wedge to reach the green but I ended up making par!

Bad ass Matt! Next time you better fight them on all fours to make it a challenge!

27-Dec-18
I bet those techniques were pretty well honed on Apauls.

27-Dec-18
Good one!!! And a nice big yote to boot.....pun intended. They are a tough animal. I ran one down that a friend had wounded with a muzzle loader. Basically broke its front leg. Because we were doing deer drives and I was tagged out I did not have a weapon. After a pretty interesting scuffle I was able to stand on its chest until it died. By now the other fella is walking up (he has a bad heart and can't run) and he is pretty entertained by my actions so I hold it up by the hind legs and we have a laugh for a few minutes as I regained my breath. Left the coyote lay there and we headed back to his house. I left and drove past the dog on my way home and the sucker had its head up!!!! I sped home and back 2 miles to get a gun and when I got back it was gone. The fight and will to survive of a coyote is incredible.

27-Dec-18
Nick, badger is next level. Coyote is like a 140 whitetail, but badger, I’d say that’s like a 160. I hope one day to step into the ring with the big boys

27-Dec-18
When your grand kid is 5 yrs old and on your knee you be a living legend. Great story

27-Dec-18
hahahah too good Matt!

27-Dec-18
320 bull, When I first started trapping as a teenager the preferred method of dispatch was to bonk them on the head to knock them out and then stand on their neck and chest until they were done. Then you threw them in your pack basket and remade the set and went on your merry way. I miscalculated twice how long to stand on them and they woke up in my pack. One was a coon and one was a grey fox. All I can say is I guarantee if you lit me on fire I wouldn't stop drop and roll any quicker than having something crawl up your shoulder.

27-Dec-18
Matt, that's pretty impressive.

27-Dec-18
Nick, Back when I was still in the Air Force and in shape I was bowhunting antelope and a badger ran across the road. I slammed on the brakes and bailed because I had a 9 shot 22 revolver on my hip and gave chase. He went through the ditch and crossed the fence then took a right. He was on one side of the fence and I was on the other. I was two steps behind him and emptied that pistol at a dead sprint and never hit him and never gained on him. They are one of my favorite animals.

28-Dec-18
Awesome Matt! Hand to hand with critters happens from time to time when you spend alot of time with nature....

While defending my backyard chickens, I've had cage matches with 2 raccoons, a possum, and a red tailed hawk (didn't kill him, but did catch him)

I've dispatched several vehicle wounded deer with plenty of bounce left with some rather unconventional methods. I also once (stupidly, but it was an "in the moment" decision) ran down a wounded WT buck and killed him with a knife while I held him in a triangle body choke. I was in my 20's then. THAT....is a good story!

Anyone with a good cougar story? I know Barry Wensel has one....not quite hand to hand, but still a GREAT story....

28-Dec-18
That is awesome. Stay wild Matt.

28-Dec-18
Crazy stuff right there.

I thought I was nuts for finishing off a very pissed off badger that I spine shot... He was up on his front legs, as his rear legs didn't work anymore and he kept charging me! it took more than a couple swings to finish him off. Man that thing was mean and tough as hell!

28-Dec-18
ki-ke, I had to finish off a fully alert and very much alive and mobile 3x5 bull (raghorn) once when I missed the finishing kill shot with my last round (again, an unseen sapling). That was also very interesting. Had to stab him to finish him, and it took over an hour to do the job. But as for a toothy coyote, I'll pass the wrestling match and shoot him or club him.

28-Dec-18
ki-ke.......I do, but her name escapes me at the moment.

30-Dec-18
You are Batman !

30-Dec-18
M.Pauls, I was getting down from a tree stand once. Bow lying on the ground. Just as my feet touched the ground a Coyote came running toward me. At first I thought it would run away when it realized what I was, but instead it seemed like it was going to attack me. I yelled at it and stood my ground. The closest thing to me was a stick,limb, so I grabbed it and threw it trying to hit the dog. It jumped back and gave me time to get my bow while it was growling at me. As soon as I got the arrow knocked and started to draw back it ran off into the thicket. But I could still see it watching me as I walked out. I tried several times to get an arrow in it but it never gave me a shot. I wasn't scared but it did get me to thinking about Rabies. I carry my 40 cal most of the time bowhunting now. One, for that reason and the other to kill wild hogs. Arrows ain't cheap and hogs are a problem where I hunt. .

30-Dec-18
Coming home from fishing yesterday had a muskrat on a creek with no escape but I let him live not wanting to steal the glory from my brother...

30-Dec-18
Muskrat, slushcrat!!

No comparison between the two species, Adam! Unless,of course, this one had a “fricken laser beam” attached to his head.

30-Dec-18
I had a big bull coon come alive in the back of my Jeep with 3 coon hounds riding with me. That was very exciting.

30-Dec-18
^^^^^^Bahahahaha!!!!

31-Dec-18
LOL APauls! : )

31-Dec-18
I'm wondering about a new pair of coyote-kicking boots.

06-Jan-19
Thought some of you might be interested to know, got my test results back on the coyote and he went negative for rabies, which is actually interesting, because when I tubed him out there was no other visible trauma to his body

06-Jan-19
That's good news, I think you need to make a hat out of that sucker, or maybe some fur-lined coyote-grappling gloves...

10-Jan-19
cool story, me and my friend stabbed a rabbit once with a knife that he had made himself.

10-Jan-19

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Believe it or not I went fishing on the weekend and had to be that same dang skrat was there again. He’s really askin for the boot...

10-Jan-19
Are you sure it was the same rat? They all look alike, ya know!

• Sitka Gear