GF 25-Dec-18
scentman 26-Dec-18
South Farm 26-Dec-18
12yards 26-Dec-18
Boreal 26-Dec-18
Brotsky 26-Dec-18
GF 26-Dec-18
22-Dec-18
Watching the latest and greatest TV outdoor hunting shows, the word "smoked" came up for the 100th time as it has in the past.

I decided to look up the word smoke and the verb, SMOKED, trying to figure out what does the descriptive word of 'smoked' have to do with killing a deer or a good shot on a deer. ie, "I smoked him."

Smoke: cloudy mass of suspended particles that rises from fire or anything burning; spell of tobacco smoking, V. smoked, smok-ing give off smoke, exhale and inhale smoke as in tobacco smoking.

Maybe the bow hunter "burned an arrow so fast through the deer, that some burning hair/flesh (smoke) was observed.

Any other guesses how this all came about?

22-Dec-18
In trap & skeet shooting, when you center a clay bird in your pattern, it will disappear into a cloud of black dust - aka “smoke”.

Total annihilation.

And most of the time in TV Bowhunting, it means 1 lung and some liver if he was lucky....

22-Dec-18
No other clues.

22-Dec-18

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Policeman “smoked” this buck with his F-150 while he was hauling some drunk teenagers to the county drunk tank. I’ve been after this one for awhile, he made it through rifle season to get “smoked” on the highway as he left my property. lol

I don’t like the turn smoked either. My nephew told me the other day “ I thought about smoking him”. I told him “you’d have better luck shooting him first”.

22-Dec-18
I think it must have originated from the image of gun smoke exiting the barrel of a firearm after a “kill shot”. Hence the term “Smoked Him”. Then somehow rolled over to the archery world when describing a kill.... My best guess if I’m truly attempting to break down the origin. Either that or folks just think is sounds cool to say.

22-Dec-18
I think it’s ok to say as long as you shout “Booyah” before yelling “smoked him” lol

22-Dec-18

Sugar 's embedded Photo
Sugar 's embedded Photo
Not sure where it started ...but when I say smoked this is what I’m speaking about

22-Dec-18
I’ve always detested it. But in Africa in 2016, my guide excitedly exclaimed “You smoked him!”, when I shot my kudu. It didn’t bother me then ;)

22-Dec-18
Now they get smoked. A few years back those jokers got the “ dirt nap”

22-Dec-18
Usually on cold weather rifle shots that are double lung you can see puffs of steam come out of the entrance hole, I'm assuming from the warm air from the lungs making contact with the cold air outside. Looks like smoke maybe?

22-Dec-18
I smoked a doe a few days ago with my muzzleloader. She was so close, she was enveloped in smoke for a second or two.

22-Dec-18
The only thing I ever smoked was a bat when I was just a kid. I shot so close to him as he flew over me that the muzzle blast from the handgun I was shooting set his fur on fire. True story ! My daddy just about whooped my ass too ! I was a reckless child.........

22-Dec-18
I have been know to be smoked a time or two!!

22-Dec-18
Come on guys it's just a term and we all know what it means when used in a hunting situation. If someone said they smoked a 10 pointer I would know what they mean. Now if they said I arrowed a 10 pointer they may mean they hit and not killed it, or killed it. Arrowed can mean either, smoked you hit and killed

22-Dec-18
I hate slang language and that is what is annoying to me. Maybe it is just me but I am sure some others might agree. My best, Paul

22-Dec-18
Too often when they say they smoked him it wasn't a very good shot. That bothers me more than the term. Make a bad shot and claim Smoked em!

22-Dec-18
What term do you use when you make a killing shot, Paul?

The term “smoked” doesn’t bother me and I actually use the term occasionally. Some of the other terms really get carried away, thought. Smackdown, gave him the hot sauce, dirt nap, etc, etc.

22-Dec-18
Slang doesn’t bother me. Language that makes it sound as if we hate or are at war with these animals... that does bother me quite a bit.

I guess I’m just not Macho enough to make it as a Hollywood Bowhunter. But I’m OK with being a simple predator. When I see a lion beat his chest after taking down an Elk, maybe I’ll change my mind....

Nah.

23-Dec-18
show a little respect with the celebrations huh.

a more measured approach is acceptable. fire up the cell phone and crank Freddie Mercury crooning "another one bites the dust" seems to be just the right mixture of celebratory actions and honoring the recently deceased.

23-Dec-18
It’s a word typically used to describe a good kill shot. Usually said while a person is excited. GET OVER IT!

23-Dec-18
"I smoked it like a pack of Kools"

23-Dec-18
Guys that don’t smile in Trophy photos after they “smoked” a giant really, really worry me but the term alone does not hurt too much.

23-Dec-18
I'm a "hammered" kind of guy. Sometimes in the midst of the excitement, like this past November, I've been known to change it up like... "holy s--t!"

23-Dec-18
I don’t think it’s just a hunting term. Show 10 non hunting people a video of a train hitting a car, betcha about half of em would say “wow that train just smoked him!”

I think it’s just a term referring to being hit hard

23-Dec-18
I think smarvest is a good compromise.

23-Dec-18
I smoked the back wall in my garage yesterday !

23-Dec-18
try, "I have harvested a magnificent and illusive white tailed deer"

23-Dec-18
I skewer 'em.

23-Dec-18
No use in over thinking this. It's simply a phrase, that to some, sounds cool. And when you kill deer on TV for a living, you just gotta be cool.

23-Dec-18
Bill Clinton smoked but he didn’t inhale.

23-Dec-18
Okay now that we got smoked figured out what it means,,I think??? Now what's a hopper?? :)

23-Dec-18
One of my favorite terms in sports for a quick victory is the other team was "smoked like a cheap cigar" as cheap cigars do not last long at all!

23-Dec-18
Bill Clinton inserted instead of inhaled

23-Dec-18
So.... nobody here shoots trap or skeet, huh?

23-Dec-18
Friends and I often say totally in fun "smoked him like a fatty in Compton". Someone always replies " C'mon Craig! How you get fired on you day off". DEVO!

24-Dec-18
I never was one to get caught up in semantics. I don't really care what expression you use. I have used it a few times. Mostly when describing(to close friends) what my daughter did to her competition at swim meets! ;-)

24-Dec-18
Nut - the difference there is that she’s COMPETING against someone who wants to beat her. If she’s really all that good, she should really only be competing against her own best time, of course...

Not like the other girls are out to kick HER ass, personally, in a timed event. And isn’t it kind of odd that there are grown men who get a testosterone rush when their DAUGHTERS outcompete other teen-age GIRLS?

But these guys who react like “F%~>%*~IN’ YEAH, BABY!!! I F%+}#?^N SMOKED that M0+#€%-£¥<{€R-F~€£{R!!!”

Jesus Christ, man! Why so angry at an animal with a brain the size of your fist that never wanted to do anything but be left alone to do his business with the Ladies?

What did these deer/Elk ever do to these guys??

Dudes Got Issues.

24-Dec-18

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
Guys like this use words like that. For example “I poached a big buck and smoked my career... boo ya!”

24-Dec-18
"Now they get smoked. A few years back those jokers got the “ dirt nap” Before that deer were called "swamp donkeys" and a good shot or nice bow was "sick".....8^/ And of course, the ever-present, "He's down!"....even though they decided to give it overnight to track.

Apparently the need for demonstrative language beyond, "I just shot a really nice buck."

24-Dec-18
GF- that last line was meant to be "tongue in cheek"! The emphasis has always been on improving and lowering personal bests- if that translates into wins, great! If not, no problem.

That being said, I played all kind of organized sports in H.S. and college, but I NEVER expected to get so jacked up about girls age-group(now high school) swimming! ;-)

24-Dec-18
Ditto !

I was watching the NFL last night and a guy caught a pass at the sideline and as he went out of bounds he dragged his back foot shooting up a trail of those black pellets that looked like smoke rising. One of the broadcasters said he smoked it !

24-Dec-18
I knew swamp donkey's as moose....hence the resemblance.

I never like some of the over exuberant terms of success such as smack-down and especially slocked'em. I never cared much for giving deer "names" either. Of course I never been in areas that held so many deer that naming them was the best way to ID them.

24-Dec-18
I doubt it, Stick.

Being proud of your kid comes with the Dad Badge. But talking about it in a way that would shame, humiliate or otherwise pour salt in the wounds of an opponent who went out, played fair and gave it his/her/their best effort is one of those things that makes a parent look like a D-bag 1st Class.

It’s on par with a coach running up the score or leaving his starting line out there to toy with an opponent instead of sending in the second/third string to let them get some game time and see what they can do against somebody else's Best.

If you can’t respect an opponent for giving it his best, win or lose, you don’t deserve to play. And if you’re not interested in teaching a kid that, you have no business being involved as a coach, mentor or teacher of any kind.

And NO I’m not addressing anyone here personally; just offering the perspective of a guy who is fortunate enough to be able to coach small-time youth hockey because nobody who’s better qualified seems to have the time for it.

24-Dec-18

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo

24-Dec-18
Words...gotta love it. Catch phrases..they don't mean a thing unless you want them to. When I make a good shot I'm usually just smiling, but you wouldn't know that unless you read this and that is my point.

24-Dec-18
I could really care less, when I make an incredible shot on an animal and I put them down really fast, I might say wow... I smoked em! So what, who cares??? Is this all you have to bitch about???? Really? Some of you really need to get a life. If that phrase bothers you "that" much don't use it... If it still bothers then you have some serious issues! Stop watching hunting shows and go hunting!

24-Dec-18
LOL stick! : ) I think GF missed my sarcasm! ;-)

GF- In all seriousness now- you would be hard pressed to identify which one my daughter is at a swim meet(based on my reaction). I’ve seen too many “over the top” parents over the years so if anything, I go the other direction. And the only thing I emphasize to her more than the importance of giving it 100%, is good sportsmanship. I don’t want to hi-jack this thread anymore than it has already, so that’s all I’m gonna say.

BTW, kudos to you for stepping up! We need more good coaches.................especially at the youth sports level.

24-Dec-18
Poor Paul, I bet he's home read this thread saying what did I start. After reading years of Paul's posts I know this is not the way he would of wanted it to go.

25-Dec-18
My apologies Paul- didn’t mean to send it off course!

Stick- I think that barrel must be ported. I’ve seen ported barrels on shotguns before but usually not that far back. May be some kind of “adjustable” Port?

25-Dec-18
There is a YouTube video, posted by one of the neighbors in the 'hood where Paul just smoked a bunch of geese, filmed from her kitchen window, where you can see Paul and his awesome Lab running down a flopping' honker across the lawn and you can audibly hear Paul yelling to the dog, "Smoke 'em boy!! thats it!! SMOKE "IM!!!"

Busted......

25-Dec-18
If I am not mistaken, I believe that is a ported over/ under Beretta Silver Pidgeon. That is the typical port location on a smoothbore with adjustable chokes. Also, Berettas chokes are pretty long, so it would be back pretty far to allow for the threads. I have 3 or 4 of them, but only one was ported.

25-Dec-18
I've never understood why this type of stuff bothers people.

25-Dec-18
Rut - Pretty sure we’re good. Tone deaf environment!

Lou posted a pic of a ported trap gun - saves a lot of wear and tear on the retinas, but hell on the ears if you’re not muffed & plugged.

And yes - you CAN “smoke” a live bird like a clay, but it makes for better eating if you let them get out a little farther before you drop the hammer and put the smack-down on ‘em.

LOL. See how ridiculous it sounds?

1,000+ years ago, bringing down enough food to keep your family/village alive for a few more days/weeks would be cause for exultation - but I doubt that any of those hunters reacted as if they had conquered an enemy... of course, they probably knew what that was about, too, so they didn’t have to pretend that making meat was more than it was.

26-Dec-18
Sugar, what is your recipe and what smoker do you smoke with? I want to purchase one but want opinions on a quality smoker reasonably priced.

When he hits the ground for a dirt nap it creates a cloud of dust?

26-Dec-18
Would you prefer they simply hyperventilate, start crying, and fist pump the air vigorously? Maybe throw in a couple "give me a minute(s)".

26-Dec-18
So lets hear it, would you rather have a guy saying "I smoked him!" or a guy crying and blabbering like 3 year old after he kills a big buck?

26-Dec-18
"1,000+ years ago, bringing down enough food to keep your family/village alive for a few more days/weeks would be cause for exultation - but I doubt that any of those hunters reacted as if they had conquered an enemy... of course, they probably knew what that was about, too, so they didn’t have to pretend that making meat was more than it was."

Really?!! I picture the whole village throwing and big party, dancing and singing around a fire after a successful hunt not sitting somberly and reflecting on how fortunate they are.

26-Dec-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I think I've told this story here before, maybe not but it pertains to this thread so here goes! Ha!

Nichole, Half Pint, and I were out on the opening morning of rifle deer season a few years ago. It was one of those bitterly cold mornings with a little freezing fog in the air where everything was very frosty. A nice buck was chasing a doe out in front of us and finally came within comfortable range of Nichole's rifle as she was the only one with a buck license for that unit, Kia had a doe tag only. Nichole lined up the buck while Kia and I watched through our bino's. Nichole made a great shot and upon the bullet impacting the buck the frost flew from his body in a cloud of "smoke". Kia, without hesitation, says "Wow mom, you literally smoked him". I was laughing so hard I almost forgot that Kia still had her doe tag in her pocket. Kia made a good shot on the doe and we were done. This is the only time I have found any correlation to "smoking" a deer in my experience Paul! Here's a picture of the girls with their harvest, no longer smoking of course. :-)

26-Dec-18
Boreal. Exultation. Look it up if you have to.

• Sitka Gear