Ucsdryder 24-Dec-18
Huntcell 24-Dec-18
Treeline 25-Dec-18
24-Dec-18

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
The far right is the hard one.
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
The far right is the hard one.
I took out 3 packs of elk steaks from the freezer. They’ve been in the fridge since Friday. I unwrapped them and 1 pack had 2 steaks in it. They are “firm”. The other 2 packs are the normal tenderness of blackstrap. Any ideas? I haven’t cooked them yet. They look and smell the same.

24-Dec-18
They will be fine. After cooking you won’t be able to tell any difference between them.

24-Dec-18
I agree, different areas of meat have a different density. Cook it, eat it, enjoy!

24-Dec-18
There's also the possibility that one pack lost more moisture in processing and storage and will then feel firmer.

I never slice steaks or chops but rather package them in a large piece and cut when thawing. Helps keep moisture plus I can cut better steaks if half frozen.

24-Dec-18
You guys nailed it. They were just drier than the rest which made them feel hard. I cooked them separate just in case but they looked and tasted identical to the rest. Mushroom risotto and elk loins will put you in a food coma for sure!

24-Dec-18

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Sous vide moose steak best ever!
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Sous vide moose steak best ever!
None of them look normal. Yes, Saran Wrap a lg muscle group then seal- a -meal it. When taken out of the freezer, there is the option of leaving it whole for a roast or slice it for steaks.

Since Bowsite put me on to Souse Vide method of cooking it is only way to go. Amazing the difference betwen just only frying a steak (which Never works) or grilling which is ok to the sous Vide method which you can finish off by minute on a really hot grill or pan for appearance.

Last moose steak was juicy soft and oh so tasty, never had a better deer species steak in my life, was comparable to resturant prime rib in texture and moisture and even appearance. Before that experience I was ready to grind the entire beast in to burger. Even the wife ate it when it’s that soft, she is not much for chewy game meat. Don’t even need to use the Jaccard meat tenderizer device which was another great Bowsite reccomendation years back when I shot an tough Mt goat. Who knew one could get great cooking advice on a bow hunting site.

24-Dec-18
I don’t doubt how good the Souis method, or whatever it’s called, is in reality. But, the guys that keep saying they never had an awesome fried or grilled steak simply don’t know how to cook. Period. Not doubting your opinion on what’s better. Only your ability to cook it well by frying, grilling, or broiling.

24-Dec-18
I’ve never tried the SV method but in the last 3 weeks I’ve had 2 different people tell me that my elk steaks on the cast iron were “the best steaks they’ve ever had.” Both people were eating elk for the first time (besides burger). It’s hard to beat backstrap on a hot cast iron!

24-Dec-18
"I never slice steaks or chops but rather package them in a large piece and cut when thawing. Helps keep moisture plus I can cut better steaks if half frozen."

THIS^^^ I do this also for the same reasons. And when you don't slice the meat until you use it, you retain the option of which size cut you want, or even just roasting it whole on the grill after marinating it........and now I'm getting hungry!

24-Dec-18
Jacurrd Meat Tenderizer. I use mine all the time, even on “good” cuts. Even better if you like to marinade a chop or two.

24-Dec-18
Nick does it do anything for round steak? Pressure cooker gets old after a while on the round.

24-Dec-18
Yes my cooking skills could be better. The reason sous vide works so well is nearly all the moisture is retained where as the other methods are conducive for not so much to fairly significant moisture loss, the further from rare the meat is cooked. And one cannot over cook there preference with sous vide. Of course well done is not an option for any meat, game or domestic.

Putting the seasoning or spices or sauce in the bag with the meat during sous vide really infuses the flavor throughout the meat.

Because of the high moisture content and low to no fat in game meat one has to have the pan or grill extermly hot to get the right sear to seal in the moisture. In the House it makes such a mess on the stove top frying and in the oven broiling and the lingering smell is a problem for some . Most times I have not been able to achieve that high temp seat in enough moisture for medium steaks. I now shoot for medium rare. Which on the grill I can do half the time. Got to watch it closely and perhaps I need a better grill. Will be switching from gas to wood / charcoal. Tough on current gas grill when weather is 25 and breezy to get it hot enough.

Cast iron frying and grilling is an intergal part of sous vide steak if you need the char appearance type steak but it is only used briefly to get the appearance.

Frying broiling grilling will remain the most used methods to prepare steak versus sous vide.

Most people will never even hear the term sous vide let alone try it. “To explore is to be living.” Anonymous

25-Dec-18

Treeline's Link
UCS,

I use a hand crank tenderizer for the round steaks that works really well. Got it at least 10 years ago from cabelas. Kind of like the one in the link.

Not sure how much meat has been cranked through that thing, but it has been a pile! We love our chicken fried venison! Also works fabulous for meat rolls with different cheese, peppers, etc.

Also use the Jaccard sometimes to help get the marinade into the meat on some steaks for grilling.

Still have not done sous vide, yet! So many ways to cook game meat, so little time:-)

• Sitka Gear