Nick Muche 25-Dec-18
Ambush 26-Dec-18
GF 26-Dec-18
x-man 26-Dec-18
Too Many Bows Bob 26-Dec-18
shiloh 26-Dec-18
Ermine 26-Dec-18
25-Dec-18
I have a friend who is quite a good shot and shoots long distances. He staggers his fletching saying that it give him better accuracy at long distances. Instead of lining them all up so they come out even, he sets one at 0, the next one at 1/4" down and the third at 1/4" further and the 4th at 1/4". He says that it make the arrow spin better.

Anyone do this?

TMBB

25-Dec-18
I have a friend who is quite a good shot and shoots long distances. He staggers his fletching saying that it give him better accuracy at long distances. Instead of lining them all up so they come out even, he sets one at 0, the next one at 1/4" down and the third at 1/4" further and the 4th at 1/4". He says that it make the arrow spin better.

Anyone do this?

TMBB

25-Dec-18
I 6 fletch 3 4” vanes and 3 2.5” feathers and stager them from 1” below the nock every inch down to 6”.

Merry Christmas!

25-Dec-18
Nick you got a pic of this? Ive never seen one.

25-Dec-18
That is so weird Nick, I started doing exactly the same thing. They seem faster too.

25-Dec-18
I skip the arrows and just shoot fetching.

25-Dec-18
Ambush, I was doing some with 8 and even one with a bakers dozen but I reached a point of dimenishing returns and scaled it back a touch.

My arrows began to resemble those pinwheel things I’d play with as a child by my grandmas cottage in the Nantucket summer sun.

25-Dec-18
I've bee trying gluing the feathers perpendicular to the shaft. It only takes short ones to go all the way around so experiment with 4-8 feathers.

25-Dec-18
If you’re looking to shave weight in order to get a flatter trajectory at long range, try cutting the nock in half and insert it backwards.

26-Dec-18
TMBB. The short and real answer is no. Staggering your fletching will not give it more spin and will actually give less control. The farther from the nock the fletching is, the less stable the arrow will be, in flight. Staggering them 1/4" won't make any difference one way or another.

It was sorta popular about ten years ago 'cause it looked real cool and cutting edge, but it was just a fad.

26-Dec-18
Have you tried a turbulator? Of course, those are intended to ADD drag, basically.

Not sure what benefit there might be to added drag at long range, though. I’d think you’d want Just Enough to do the job, which starts with time quality.

But you knew that....

26-Dec-18
What Ambush said.

26-Dec-18
Thanks guys. I'm going to be building a new set of FMJ's and wanted to ask before I wasted the fletching.

TMBB

26-Dec-18
Nick why do all that. I would’ve thought that a guy of your stature would’ve known that a light coating of WD-40 would do the same thing!

I think Ambush has the answer

26-Dec-18
Staggered has more surface area on the side for wind to catch. So may have more wind drift in a cross wind

• Sitka Gear