BULELK1's Link
'Morning All,

Lot's of new 'Stuff'

Enjoy

Good luck, Robb

26-Dec-18
Thanks Rob

27-Dec-18
I think I have answered all your PM's/Texts.

No I don't understand the rifle/bow overlap out on the Newfies for a Ram????

Sure, I can do some scouting in most units/species if ya draw, with in reason for me and all.

No worries

Good luck, Robb

27-Dec-18
Archery elk ends on the 13th this year. Harsh but normal for Utah.

30-Dec-18
I did the Elk Survey back in late October and I just felt that we would not get our end of bow hunt dates changed/extended.

One of the questions was to have the bow elk/deer hunts start August 1st for 6 weeks!!!

Another was to have Late Date LE Bow Bull hunts in November.

Good luck, Robb

30-Dec-18
It sure seems like UT elk bowhunters have the toughest season dates of all weapons? Doesn't seem right to me!

30-Dec-18
yea Utah dates sucks. but I can't get a tag anyway so its a moot point. They should auction a few more off.....

31-Dec-18
Nevada bow dates are similar (opening/ending) and the last week of the Nv. bow Elk date is the Opening week of the Muzzy Deer hunters, so I guess we that bow elk hunt in my home state 'could' have it Worse!! haha

Good luck, Robb

31-Dec-18
Colo is fortunate to have fairly decent archery dates but the number of OTC elk hunters is ridiculous! I guess it's impossible to have everything?

01-Jan-19
Utah sure sucks for non residents. 14 points and still not a good hunt in sight worth spending them on.

01-Jan-19
"Utah sure sucks for non residents. 14 points and still not a good hunt in sight worth spending them on."

I'll be sure to tell my dad that as he's sitting below his 375" bull on the wall taken on a 7 point hunt :)

01-Jan-19
Lucky guy. That’s certainly not the norm, you must admit.

02-Jan-19
You are in Great points position with 14 non-ressy points for Bow ~~ Manti, Fishlake or Wasatch.

'Ya Gotta Believe'

Good luck, Robb

02-Jan-19
Thanks for the link Robb!

02-Jan-19
'Ya Gotta Believe'

Yep, I drew one of two permits in the random last year, less than 2% odds. Would love to do that hunt again before Im 6ft under...............

02-Jan-19
Used to be common knowledge that Wasatch wasn't the best for trophy quality....maybe that is changing again?

03-Jan-19
You are Welcome

I haven't heard back from Kevin about his late date Buff hunt.

It's your Year Ron!! Plus dang nice Velvet Utah Muley ya got this last fall.

Happy for ya Don K!! Ya did good-------->

Good luck, Robb

03-Jan-19
SteveB, I don't think I would call it luck, but you do have to have some things fall into place to get a bull like that with a bow. The point is, UT has some bulls, probably in every unit, that are above and beyond what you can find in most states. Coming from Oregon, you could spend your entire life and a pile of points to hunt a unit where there might not even be a bull of that caliber. That alone makes UT a great state for a NR. Get a tag and make the effort and you can find a great bull. The guys that expect getting a great tag will assure them a great bull will not get one anyway(unless maybe paying a guide). I can guarantee one thing 100%, not having a tag will ensure you get nothing!

My motto is get tags and hunt! It's landed me and my family some great hunts and bulls. Many of them have made western hunter and Eastmans and none have ever taken more than 7 points to draw.

03-Jan-19
elkocd, I hear you and appreciate your thoughts. Being from Ohio and only doing one hunt per year, I nearly always use a guide. It just makes sense. Just disappointing that with 14 I’m in no mans land for the best units. I’m going to draw soon and just use the points.

03-Jan-19
UT odds suck and although a part of the reason is SFW and UT selling tags to the highest bidder, the bigger reason is because UT has so many amazing tags and so many people want them.

At least the state of UT makes applying affordable and they should since the odds are so bad.

But damn, for any of the UT tags that I put in for...

05-Jan-19
I'm going for LE Bow Elk tag #3 (Ressy)over the years.

Granted, I always go for a Sleeper unit that is one of the Very Few that Does Not have Spike/Cow hunters at all.

So when it states 8-10 Ressy/ 1-2 Non-Ressy tags, then 11-12 bow elk hunters for the full month is all I have to contend with and a few bow deer hunters

Good luck, Robb

06-Jan-19
Does anyone know if there is a report that easily shows which units will actually have bonus point tags to award for 2019?

06-Jan-19
I believe the April rac packet will show proposed tags, it used to be up before the app period closed but I haven't checked in years.

06-Jan-19
Surge would be nice to know before you apply!

07-Jan-19
True that W-Bob, they do the winter counts in March and then post the proposed tag allocations in April, get them approved before the draw in mid-May-ish…..

I always voice my yearly request to have at least 2 non-ressy tags in every offered LE Bow Elk unit...….

1- for the bonus Point Pool and 1 for the Reg draw pool...….

Good luck, Robb

07-Jan-19
So are you guys saying that we should wait and apply at the last minute in Utah and hope the decision have been made public?

07-Jan-19

07-Jan-19
Thanks Robb. My son & I will continue to apply in Utah for all species we are eligible. For NR's, Utah is still reasonably affordable, in terms of total app fee cost. Of course we all know the draw odds for the most coveted hunts are extremely poor, but that's true for all western states. Knowing that my son drew San Juan early elk in 2015 (random tag), gives me hope that striking gold is always possible.

07-Jan-19
Steve B—I do not think anyone is saying if you wait till the last minute you will have the information you are looking for.

And for your planning purposes, Utah does not have a real good record on giving MORE opportunity to NR...

Robb, thanks for your lobbying. Seems the any weapon tags have 2 NR spots. It would sure would be a nice gesture of good will to guys with 20+ years of putting in to actually be able to PLAN their Utah elk hunt rather just hope and pray every year.

07-Jan-19
The Utah applications are a tax for those challenged by math. I'm good at math so that makes me willfully ignorant and hopeful!

Under my roof we've drawn 3 LE tags between the three of us the last 6 years.

Archery elk - 4% as a NR

Archery elk - 20% as a R

Late rifle elk - 1.7% as a R

08-Jan-19
You All are Welcome

SteveB it won't do ya any better waiting to the last minute to apply as the Tag Allocations # won't be known until WAY after the close of the draw application period.

More so, double check the Expiration date on your 2018 license as I 'think' some guys have been getting 2 years appying off a license???

They are 365 day hunting license ............

C-man told me last year that there are only 27 Non-Ressy Bow tags offered......that isn't fair to me as it certainly wouldn't hurt to add more to the LE Bow Bull draw, even if they took a few out of the rifle tags and put them into the Bow tags type deal, maybe rotate by every other year.

HDE brought to my attention that they do have 2 LE Bow Bull tags for the San Juan unit and that is hopefully going to increase.

You and your Fam-Fam have done dang good on drawing and on harvesting Jason!

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear