WYelkhunter 26-Dec-21
SteveB 26-Dec-21
TGbow 26-Dec-21
BC173 26-Dec-21
BigOk 26-Dec-21
JL 26-Dec-21
Bou'bound 14-Jan-22
26-Dec-18
I hope everyone had a great Christmas! I’m having a chemo port put in my shoulder under the skin, has anyone had this done and how did it affect you shooting? Trying to decide which shoulder to put it in, I shoot right handed.

26-Dec-18
I doubt if it will make a huge difference when you get used to it.

That being said, I'd go with the left side.

I hope the chemo is successful!

26-Dec-18
I had one in my upper chest, slightly on the right side. The Doc asked me prior to planting it if I was a hunter. I was so weak though I couldn't draw my bow even at it's lowest setting. I will admit it was a major morale booster when I got on the other side of treatment and could finally draw my bow! Good luck with your treatment.

26-Dec-18
I had mine put on the inside of my left bicep. I shot just fine.

26-Dec-18
Thank you for the information I appreciate it!

26-Dec-18
I skipped the port and had them tap my vein for treatment every other week. I was glad I did it that way until I got down to my last couple of treatments and my veins would collapse.

I had treatment every other week for 6 months. Was glad I did it the way I did but if I had to get treatment more frequently I would definitely do the port.

Good luck hope it works out well for you! No matter what stay positive. Your mindset is everything..

26-Dec-18
I feel great! Like nothing was ever wrong! But will have to do 6 months every two weeks! I’m scheduled for the port tomorrow so looking forward to get this show on the road! I tell everyone we may not be able to control the outcomes of things but are reactions to things is entirely up to us! This is just a speed bump in life! Lots of hunting to do still

26-Dec-18
Sounds like you've got your head right...you'll do just fine!

26-Dec-18
I have no experience with that issue but stay strong. Prayers for you and family.

26-Dec-18
Thinking about this, if it is being placed near your clavicle, I would suggest the left side, bow hand. Not as much muscle movement there, as there would be on the right side when drawing the bow. So less possible movement of catheter and pulling of suture and the tape, that is holding the port in place. DANNY

26-Dec-18
Scoot X2!......Best wishes to you on your treatments and recovery, IWO!

26-Dec-18
Great outlook, best of luck on your future hunts, and prayers sent.

26-Dec-18
left side, left handed no problem shooting. even killed a couple pigs during that time, good luck to you sir.

26-Dec-18
IWO.....I also did every two weeks for 6 months then hit radiation a couple of weeks after my last chemo. I would humbly suggest starting a medical logbook to track everything your told, appts, meds, etc. I did one and still maintain it 5 years later. I was hit with alot of info at once and it made it much easier to track it. Also....I was awake when they pulled the port out. Pretty cool procedure.

26-Dec-18
I did the same thing. I took three bags a day for 7 days, then 10 days off, then 7 more days, etc.... By the middle of the third month, I was forced to go with a port because my veins in my arms were a mess. Wish I had just done the port from the start. I'll also second the comment of how weird it is to be awake and watching the monitor when they take it out. Just a weird feeling. It doesn't hurt. It's just weird. Kinda like getting a vein tickled.

Keep the faith. God Bless

26-Dec-18
Best of luck to you IWO. I hope the chemo is successful and you are able to continue on as normal as you can in the meantime.

26-Dec-18
I've placed over a thousand, even placed 1 on a guy on the national skeet shooting team. You should have no issues shooting a bow. I would recommend right side placement even if right handed as your internal anatomy allows for better port flow and function. Good luck.

26-Dec-18
Can’t give you any suggestions on the port, but I can give you some prayers! With an attitude like yours, you’re gonna do great!

27-Dec-18
Sounds like I would follow jrb's advice. I had a good friend out turkey hunting a few years ago and after calling him a gobbler in on video for him he pulled the trigger only to find he had forgot to chamber around. Looking like a 3 stooges episode I had him bring his gun inside blind handed him my loaded gun picked the camera back up and he blasted that bird. I shoot 3.5 inch 12 gauge and he put the butt right on his port. Needless to say it collapsed his port but it popped back out before his next session. Keep up the good attitude prayer sent.

27-Dec-18
Thank you all again for the information. Also the prayers and well wishes.

27-Dec-18
Great attitude, IWO....you've got this!

28-Dec-18
Ok got it done! Talked with Surgeon and decided to go left side! Little sore today! I did however decide to stay awake for the procedure pretty interesting! Couldn’t see anything but could hear them talking and feel them doing it! But no pain! They did give some anesthesia not sure if it was same got pretty nauseous afterwards for a few hours but knocked it out and feel a lot better today! Happy new year to you all! Ready to go hunting

23-Dec-21
I had my port implanted 2 weeks ago for Chemotherapy. Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions as to attempting to keep the muscle mass. As with us all, Archery is a mental must. Doctors have relayed concerns as to issues such as port “flipping over”, etc. Any suggestions? Thank you

23-Dec-21
A physical therapist might have some ideas. As I mentioned 3 years ago....I lost most of my strength...not by choice...I don't think. Everyone reacts differently to the chemo and to the cocktail you're getting. My strength and breathing went south. You might not have any issues at all....hang tough and keep moving forward with life.

23-Dec-21
Hey guy hope you get well soon.

23-Dec-21
Thank you, I have thought about a physical therapist. Im afraid they will say the same as doctors. I guess Im just looking for some input on what our fellow archers have been through to keep “keepin’ on”. Thank you for your quick reply. I hope everything goes your way. Keep fighting!

23-Dec-21
I do not know your diagnoses but, eleven years ago at the age of 70 years, I had Non Hodgkin's lymphoma, the area/pain was at the back and between the lower rt shoulder blade and mid spine and the cancer was discovered next to my rt lung and also next to my rt rib cage. I was scheduled for 6 chemo treatments, one every 21 days. Tumor was dissolved after the second treatment and after the 6th treatment, just to make sure, and I have been good for the past 11 years. But one just keeps "looking over one's shoulder", just in case. The port was placed on the right side and barely visible. While I became very weak during the process, lost 25# and all of the hair on my body, during the next 4-5 months after the last treatment, I worked out at the gym to get my strength back and that fall killed my first PY wt buck with the recurve bow set at 55#. Take it easy, let the doctor know of your plans, and follow his advise concerning building your strength back.. I wish both of you the best. Paul

23-Dec-21
IWO, I wish you the best ! You certainly have a good attitude, and that’s important IMO.

23-Dec-21
Good luck! Keep the positive attitude and fight the good fight.

23-Dec-21
Best of luck

23-Dec-21
IWO, prayers for a Merry Christmas and a much better coming New Year. My chemo/radiation/hormone treatments have killed off the crap but have knocked me down a lot in muscle mass n strength. That started nearly 2 years ago but I am gaining some back. Attitude is key.

23-Dec-21
Best wishes for a full recovery. With your attitude, you'll bash through it.

23-Dec-21
I pray for your health and prosperity... take Paul's advice, you can't go wrong... dude is straight up.

26-Dec-21
I just got done with a year long fight with cancer. I won so far lol. I had the port on my left side and if I would have been strong enough to shoot it would not have been a problem. I just never felt good enough or strong enough to shoot. I also had other complications along the way though. I developed blood clots in my veins that carry blood from upper body back to the hear. Just remember, cancer gives you a 10% more chance of clots, the chemo adds another 10% chance and the port adds another 10%. If I had to do it again I would still go with the port. If I chose to not have the port treatment every 2 weeks I would have had chemo treatment through IV every 3 weeks then would have had to take chemo pills for 14 days and then start it all over again. They said I would most likely get a lot sicker and have more side effects with the pills and IV.

Good luck I hope all ends well for you.

26-Dec-21
IWO, I doubt you have the attitude to do just fine. Like you said, you can only control your reaction to what happens to you ….and you are proving you for that part right.

26-Dec-21
Prayers for you John. God bless you man!

26-Dec-21
IWO. Here to wish you nothing but the best, and your attitude should be contagious to all. Cancer has affected nearly every family I know, including mine. Many prayers to you.

But, my God, there has got to be a better way. This bullshit called cancer should have been eradicated from the face of the earth years ago.

26-Dec-21
Best wishes, with your mindset you got this whooped already.

26-Dec-21
FWIW....the original thread poster from Dec 2018 was IWO (John).

The thread was brought back to the top 3 days ago (Dec 2021) by poster AJ44 (AJ).

14-Jan-22
Get well soon. Hang tough.

• Sitka Gear