Castle Oak 16-Jan-19
spike78 16-Jan-19
wifishkiller 16-Jan-19
keepemsharp 16-Jan-19
spike78 16-Jan-19
Z Barebow 16-Jan-19
Glunker 16-Jan-19
26-Dec-18
I’ve had my Cabelas card for over 12 years with no issues at all. It switches to Capital One and issue after issue. I could not switch to the online app. I tried and my wife tried and it just won’t work so now I have to call every month to pay. I use it for work so I run up thousands of dollars. I screwed up switching over my routing number so when I paid it rejected it therefore not on time and I received a charge. I called up and asked for the charge to be dropped as it was a mistake. The foreigner says sure no problem. Well he didn’t and next month I call up to see how much I owe. It said $0 which I thought was odd so I talked to someone and they said yup $0 for November. So now this month I see another $17 finance charge wtf? I call today and the finance charge was because I didn’t pay the last finance charge. I told the guy that it was supposed to be dropped and also told him that November bill showed $0 owed. He admitted that was their fault and said their was nothing he could do about it. I even told him I would pay the first $17 and have the second one dropped. Another month I was told I owed X amount so I paid and next month I had an interest charge for not paying the full amount. This bank sucks I’m done. The old bank was way easier to deal with. Why is change never for the better?

26-Dec-18
I feel your pain! I just can’t decide what card to switch to? Any suggestions?

26-Dec-18
I have had Capital One for years. If they said they couldn't do anything about it, right then you needed to as for a supervisor and tell them it is not my responsibility to pay for your screw up. If they said it was their mistake then it is their responsibility to take care of it. Now if you paid your bill before the last day of YOUR credit month (mine is the 8th day of each month) and then bought something again on or before the last day of your credit month then yes you will owe services charges. So if I paid my bill in full on the 7th or before midnight of the 8th from what the employee told me, I paid on line, but bought something on the 8th and it hadn't cleared through them on the 8th, then I will have service charges on my next bill because my last day is the 8th at midnight, and I would still owe for that one item on my next bill. Not sure if that is what happen to you or not, but it might explain it. DANNY

26-Dec-18
I went with a Capital One Visa that gives 1.5% cash back on everything. I've had better luck with Visa than Mastercard over the years. Your issues may be related to Mastercard vs. Capital One. It has been painless (after switching over all the auto-pays). Every charge triggers an instant email notification. Paying the bill is a quick two-click process. Log into the website, choose how much to pay, and it does an auto withdrawal from a linked bank account.

26-Dec-18
Never understood why anyone would prefer 1% back from a card that you can only spend at Cabela's/BPS vs a card that pays back 2% cash you can spend anywhere.

26-Dec-18
This xcould get interesting I had an auto pay set up for my Cabela's charge> I acquired a few buck from selling my boat so I paid off the card then five days later Cap One took $100.00 auto pay from my checking account so now they are $100.00 ahead of me, waiting to see what happens this month?

26-Dec-18
Citi Double Cash MasterCard. 2% back on everything, so far has been great to deal with.

26-Dec-18
I also am not able to pay my Cabela's card bill online and have to call.

When I called this month the automated system said that I didn't own anything this month. I was wondering if I made a payment already and forgot so I was able to check payment history which confirmed that I had not made a payment this month.

I made payment even though the system said I didn't owe one. I figured I would get a late fee if I didn't...

I still have the old Cabela's card and I'm hoping things will get straightened out when I get the new Capitol One card...

26-Dec-18
Midwest, what card???

26-Dec-18
I've had the same issue trying to setup online access. Instead of dealing with the headache, I paid my balance, cashed in my Cabela's cash/points and am closing my card for good. I want nothing to do with them anymore. End of an era, I guess.

26-Dec-18
Mike you should have already gotten it I did. I believe the old one is good until Jan 1. Linecutter you are correct as the guy was mentioning that. It is just confusing and I don’t think the old bank worked like that. I will be looking elsewhere myself as soon as I use up my Cabelas dollars.

26-Dec-18
jingalls, See Olink's post.

26-Dec-18
I never activated the new BP Master Card. I have an Amazon Visa through Chase. So far no issues and I can accumulate points for Amazon , gift cards, travel, or get cash back.

26-Dec-18
Yep. Stopped using the Cabela's card years ago for the most part. When the service went down and other cards starting making better offers I switched.

26-Dec-18

StickFlicker's Link
For those of you that are business owners, Chase has a great card that will pay you $800 when you sign-up and spend $5,000 within 90 days. You also earn 1-3 points on each dollar you spend in various categories. There may be other cards that pay a point more on purchases, but it would take a LOT of purchases to equal to the $800 you're going to earn right up front with this card! If you travel, and book the travel using the Chase travel site and your points, you actually get $1,000 (instead of $800 cash) to use toward travel. Chase is a great bank to work with, and I've never had a problem over the years with them doing whatever possible to make you happy. I've posted a secure link directly to Chase's website for the sign-up offer. I have no affiliation with Chase, and I do get a few points if you sign-up through the attached link, but I just like letting other people know about great deals.

26-Dec-18
Bank of America Alaska Airlines card..... good for hunt planning!

26-Dec-18
Capital One is having trouble adding my Bonus points correctly. I'm not getting 1% and I had an instore Cabelas purchase that I didn't get points for. I've spoken with them and they're working on it. I pay by mail, so can't comment on the online bill pay issue.

26-Dec-18
The cabela's card at this point is absolute garbage in my opinion. Rewards are poor and the sign-up bonus is beyond laughable compared to most every other option. If you're just looking at % back unless you're spending goo goo dollars make sure you look at the sign-up bonus, that's where a lot of the meat is at!

StickFlicker- The ink card is great and the chase ultimate rewards points are even better if you transfer them to travel partners than booking through their portal. Example, flight to/from Cancun this spring I was able to transfer to Southwest and use only 18k points or 180$'s. That same flight through their portal would've costed 60k points. The travel partners are where you make a killing, same thing with transferring to Hyatt, 5-600$/night hotels can be had for 25k points or 250$s. Chase Saphire and saphire reserve are also excellent choices if you're not a business owner (although I have no idea how they'd ever check if you just opened a business card in a personal name) with great sign-up bonus's. Marvin is rightly so attempting to cash in on 20,000 bonus points if you sign-up and use him as a referral. Another great perk to the program, and if you decide to sign-up for ink please use me or him and help another bowsiter out haha!

CapOne venture has a 75k sign-up right now when you spend 5k in the first 3 months. CapOne's points aren't as good as Chase's, but they've begun opening options to travel partners as well which could help in future years. Extremely easy to use points however if you don't want to transfer to travel partners.

Alaska Airlines provides great value. You get a once/year companion fare good for anywhere they fly, you end up paying full price for one ticket and get the other for around 120 bucks. You can transfer the companion to friends/family. My wife and I didn't use ours this year so we let my parents use our companion fare to go to Hawaii in 3 weeks. There's a 75$/year annual fee, which I gladly pay.

You don't have to get as complicated as I do, but it's silly not to open at least one new card a year to get the initial sign-up bonus. And if you're married you can really get crazy with the sign-on bonus's. I always just transfer all my rewards to a new account when I open and cancel the previous card before I ever get charged a dime for their card's annual fee. Ex. I have a chase saphire that once I get my 50k bonus for spending 4k I will transfer all of these points to my wife's card before a year is up and never pay the yearly fee. Even better you can get the initial sign-on bonus with Chase for the same card every 2 years. So I just simply cancel and re-sign up when the time comes.

If you guys aren't churning cards (especially if you like traveling) at least a little through the year you're missing out on some pretty significant travel rewards with sign-up bonus's. My wife and I gain close to 250k miles every year just in sign-up bonus's.

Feel free to reach out to me here or through PM on any of these rewards things, my wife and I have gotten pretty good at legally working the system on this front over the years to get some pretty nice trips.

26-Dec-18
Had mine for about 10 years. Closed it two weeks ago. My VISA through my credit union offered a much better cash back incentive. Plus the points weren't adding up to much and most of the stuff I need has to do with bows and arrow building. Really no benefit unless I was needing more broadheads or a treestand.

26-Dec-18
Just read a ton of reviews and honestly the stories are scary in regards to Capital One cards. They literally are doing what they want with charges, cancellations, fraud charges, etc. People have had their credit score plummet from them and others who use auto pay are still being charged late fees with no reimbursement. Honestly I’m afraid to cancel the damn thing from what I’ve read! I had maybe one or two late charges in ten years and now since the buyout I’ve had a 5.43 interest charge, $27 late charge, $17.40 late charge, 17.40 late charge all in like 4 months!

26-Dec-18
I was pissed when I got the letter from BP saying they were going to change cards and I didn't have any other choices even after having a Cabelas Visa card for close to 20 years. I went in and changed my autopay stuff to my Amazon Chase card, bought a couple things with the $100 in Cabelas bucks I had built up when they had a sale with no shipping charges and then I called and cancelled the card. I will not buy anything from them from now on after BP bought them out and I was about to that point before that as Cabelas had been going downhill the last few years after it went public and well before BP bought them.

26-Dec-18
Pat you need to buy your ammo online at budsgunshop.com. I ordered hard to find....8 boxes of 25wssm ammo on last Wednesday and they arrived at the house the day before Christmas. Good price too .

26-Dec-18
Pat you need to buy your ammo online at budsgunshop.com. I ordered hard to find....8 boxes of 25wssm ammo on last Wednesday and they arrived at the house the day before Christmas. Good price too .

26-Dec-18
Get a Costco card, and get 2% from purchases in store, 3% gas, and 4% restaurants.

Terry

26-Dec-18
I got caught up in the same Cabela's Visa/MC switch over. I was out west on a hunt and they merged a prior Capital One card with the new Cabela's on to one website entry point. But I could not view it until I got home 3 weeks later, so I did not pay a late fee they assessed me. Later I called and they only reimbursed me one of the two late fees. Anyway this was a joke. I did not ask for them to change my Visa to a MC. So they should pay for any confusion fees. Anyway I had to pay about $40 in fees and penalties. My first on ANY of my 9 credit cards in 12 years, since I got rid of the trailer trash ex. Thanks Capital One. After this fiasco I have switched over to my Discover card as my primary CC.

27-Dec-18
I'm lovin' my A-Prime Chase card.

NO 2-3 days to see a charge post ( when the draws start to 'Hit' like cabela's 2-3 day wait)

I was told Up Front that it would affect my Credit Rating by Closing out an acct. and it did.

As I closed out my Cabela's and my Home Depot as I hadn't used H-Depot card in like a year, so I actually closed out 2 C-card acct.s

I went from 832 Down to 811 but the gal at the credit rating company stated give it 6 months and all will be back to normal rating

Good luck, Robb

27-Dec-18
I went with the Barclay Arrival Plus. Perks are very hard to beat. Outperformed my Chase Sapphire Reserve by quite a bit.......really just signed up for the nice bonus and closed it after a couple years.

27-Dec-18
I mainly use Fidelity's Visa. 2% cash back on everything deposited at the end of every month into your brokerage account. BofA for 3% on gas and Discover for 5% up to $1500 spent on whatever their quarterly special is (this quarter is Amazon, next is any grocery store). Never saw the advantage of getting rewards tied to one company unless the % is very large, so I don't have any of the kind. I keep a Capital One for international purchases (no foreign transaction fees), but that's a rare occurrence in our house. Capital One can be challenging to deal with, I agree.

27-Dec-18
Officially closed the account today. Feels incredible. Now to find a new card!

27-Dec-18
I use the Capital One Spark card for my business and earn 2% cash back annually and I am set up to receive a check in January each year for the previous years purchases. The app works awesome for checking balances and transactions as well as paying my bill. It’s pretty nice to get a check for $60-80K annually and I can spend it anyway I want, not just at Cabelas. I do still have the Cabelas card and it was super simple to add on to my app and see all of my Capital One accounts in the same place and I use it for personal stuff and still earn a few bucks on there. Just as an FYI, the USAA Visa gives 2.5% cash back if you do a direct deposit into a checking account with them of at least $1,000.00 per month.

27-Dec-18
Yep, pretty much worthless.

28-Dec-18
I didn't have any trouble but thinking about switching to an Amazon card since I do way more shopping there. Haven't bought anything from BP or Cabela's in years, only time I buy from Cabela's is to use up points I've accrued

28-Dec-18
So frustrated with the switch as well. I will be paying off my balance and moving on!

28-Dec-18
Redman, That Visa USAA 2.5% cash back is no longer available.

30-Dec-18
Midwest, Mine is the Limited Cash Back Rewards card, did they discontinue it recently? I just checked and I am still getting 2.5%. My other USAA signature card only gets 1.5% and I had this one first but they couldn’t switch rewards on it, therefore I had to apply separately for the Limitless account. I didn’t want to close the other one since it affects your score when you do that.

31-Dec-18
Just dealt with this new BP/Cabela's card today. Received a new card in October with a new card number and different carrier than what Cabela's had been using on my old card. Everything transferred over to the new card they issued me but the auto pay. They got my address changed over, all my contact info but not the dang auto pay. So in October, November and now December I received a late payment fee and interest charge. Took me 3 months to address the situation. I called the card company and had to talk with 3 different people but got all the charges refunded today. If anyone had been on auto pay and received any late fees or interest charges, I would suggest making a call and get that refunded back.

03-Jan-19
Oh my god three interest charges in a row! I paid the bill last month on time and still got one. I called them up and he said you get two interest charges in a row called a residual unreal! I said I will be canceling the card and he was like ok that’s up to you. World of difference between this bank and the last one. These people sound like brainwashed cult members!

09-Jan-19

StickFlicker's Link
For those of you that are still fed-up with the changes to the Cabela's card (or your credit card company in general), and are interested in earning Delta SkyMiles for travel, I've just been given the opportunity to refer people to the AMEX Platinum Delta credit card so that they can receive a much higher introductory offer than is currently being offered to the public (60,000 miles v. 35,000). If you ever plan to fly to South Africa, building Delta miles is definitely the way to go. My friend and I are both flying there free this summer on points, and this isn't my first free flight there. It varies from year to year, and the time of year you travel, but it's not uncommon to see them offer flights for not much more than the 60,000 you will earn using this link, and you only need to spend $2,000 on the card in the first 90 days to qualify to receive the miles. You can also buy tickets using miles and points if you are short on points for the flight you want. If you're interested, use the attached link to learn more about the offer details. I haven't paid for an airline flight in years. It always amazes me that more people don't take advantage of these offers when they're available, since it's so easy to accumulate lots of miles in a very short amount of time with very little spend required. I will receive a small amount of miles if you apply through the link, and there is an annual fee, but it isn't much considering they're giving you almost enough points for an entire $2,000+ flight to Africa (or anywhere else Delta flies). The points are easy to use to buy flights on Delta. If there is even a single seat left on any Delta flight, it can be purchased with Delta miles. They don't limit it to just a few seats per flight like other airlines. Every seat on the flight could technically be a person flying with Delta miles. And Delta miles never expire, so they will just sit in your account until you are ready for your trip someday in the future (so there's no reason not to earn them now while the offer is still available - through 1/31/19!). The card also gives you a free companion pass every year when you renew, which is good for one free flight with a paid flight anywhere in the U.S., along with a number of other nice benefits. I just thought I'd pass on the opportunity for this better than normal offer if anyone is still looking for a new card to build travel points.

09-Jan-19
Paid mine off yesterday. Cut up the card in small pieces and mailed it back to them.

Never again.

09-Jan-19
I am only a couple hundred away from paying off all my credit cards and then it will be cut up and in the trash. Cash only going forward...

16-Jan-19
Let's take this back to the top! My transition to the new BP CapitalOne card was smooth and easy, and kept my fingers crossed. Last night I got a text message from CapitalOne saying my card had some suspicious activity...in Brooklyn, NY. Locked the card right away, and now waiting for them to overturn the fraudulent charges. I've never had an issue with any other cc company, and after reading through this thread and online reviews, it seems to happen all too often with CapitalOne. Needless to say, it's getting paid off, and cut up. One more nail in the Cabela's/BassPro coffin.

16-Jan-19
I've got my NEW CARD BPS/Cabelas card have never activiated it an NEVER will !!! I wasn't to sure about the switch to Capital one never had a problem with Visa... I've got two calls saying I need to activate my NEW card nope it's not happening. Just gotta figure what to spend my points $$ on.... Any suggestions :)

16-Jan-19
I ditched capital one many years ago. they were not a good company when I had used them. I pay mine off every month....I never cut it up though.

16-Jan-19
Straight --->> Arrow, brings up a good point. I may be wrong, correct me if I am, but I was always advised to NEVER close out a credit account. It adds to your credit history life, and a higher total amount of credit available to you is more attractive to possible lenders. Unless the card charges you an annual fee, there really is no point to closing the account...right?

16-Jan-19
PA Bowhunter, I have heard the same. I have not activated my BP card and won’t. I have a new bank card that I will use.

16-Jan-19
Canceling a card can have a short term small effect on your credit scores. If you pay off balance each month and have pretty high limits on other cards that would be minimal

16-Jan-19
Check before keeping a card you don't use. I've had cards in the past that had fees if you don't use it enough and others, especially the "cash back" cards that charge annual fees.

16-Jan-19
I did not activate my new BP/Cabela's card. But I forgot that I had a draft on the old card for my monthly security system charge. Capital One transferred the draft to my new card even though I had not activated it. Not sure how they had the power to do that. I had to cancel the recurring charge from a card that I did not activate and then cancel the account. NO MORE Capital One for me.

16-Jan-19
I work with a guy that said he stopped using his Capital One card and they sent him a non usage fee! My wife said to me I’m not sure what your problem is with them as she hasn’t had any issues. She just got her new statement in after paying last month off in full on time and guess what? An interest charge! Nothing but crooks at that bank. I read on the reviews that a guy had his card shut down and when he went to pay it they told him it was closed so they couldn’t help him so his card just collecting interest!

16-Jan-19
I closed mine and switched to the Citi Double Cash MasterCard. 2% back

16-Jan-19
So what if it has a "small effect" on your credit score. Unless you plan to borrow some money who cares.

16-Jan-19
I read it has a small effect but should only take a couple to 6 months to recoup the points.

16-Jan-19
Same as wifishkiller. I got Citi Double Cash. Had a pile of papers I shredded tonight and the shredder bogged down. (It was my Cabelas/BP card) I took it as a subliminal message. Cabelas card 1994-2019. RIP.

16-Jan-19
Applying for credit hurts your credit rating. I was told more cards lowers your rating so closing excess accounts should help.

• Sitka Gear