spike buck 17-Mar-19
spike buck 20-Mar-19
spike buck 27-Mar-19
26-Dec-18

spike buck's embedded Photo
Ontario Spring Bear
Ontario Spring Bear
Our first show of the 2019 season is in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Show starts January 3 at 5:00 pm and runs till 4:00 Sunday January 6th. Show is held at the Milwaukee County Sports complex in Franklin..

We are booked for the 2019 Spring and Fall Bear season as is the combo Bear / Wolf. We enjoy going to the shows and talking hunting so stop in and visit Joe and I!!!

We have a few PRIME dates available for the 2020 Spring and Fall seasons.

The Pilot Program for the Ontario Spring Bear hunts end at the end of the 2020 Spring bear. So come on up for a Ontario Spring Bear hunt in 2020!!!

26-Dec-18
Our hunts are Semi Guided. Price for 2020 Spring and Fall hunts are $1550.00 for 6 days. Plus 13% HST and License. Arrive Sunday 11:00 am and start hunting Sunday aft. to Friday eve leaving by 8:00 am Saturday....

26-Dec-18
***Semi Guided means hunter supply their own transportation. Baited sites are from 2 to 55 miles from camp. Hunters rebait each day with ample bait supplied by us. Skin own bears or can hire guides to skin the bear for you. There is a skinning area for hunters.

Upon arrival your group will be shown your cabin. There is 1 group, your group only per cabin. After moving into your cabin you will have a visit with us at the lodge where we go over details of your site, bears visiting your site etc. We will take you out in person to your Bear Bait and treestand. Bowhunters are set up from 12 to 23 yards depending on bows used. After the hunt you will drive back to camp where we will be eagerly waiting for your arrival.

***we will give guidance to each hunter. Answer all your questions and explain in detail what needs to be done by you to enhance your success. Each morning and evening guides will be in the lodge around the coffee pot talking bear hunting and answering hunters questions. Much of your success depends on listening to your guide!!! No question is a silly question. We encourage you to ask...

*** Our hunts are a reasonably Priced hunt. Hunters "WORK HARD" to come up with the funds to pay for their $1550.00 bear hunt. WE realize this and thank you for picking Pine Acres Camp!!!

27-Dec-18

Rut is about to begin
Rut is about to begin
Ontario will start its Spring hunt May 1rst in 2020. We will however not start hunting until May 10th. This gives us a month or so to get baits out and ready. Hopefully the weather will stabilize by then.

Prime starts around Memorial weekend, and will go full force from then on. This picture was taken about June 2nd by Pine Acres Guide Saxon James.

27-Dec-18

We usually track Bears as soon as we can. Bear meat is great!!! So we try to get your trophy into the cooler as soon as possible. We track all bears with the hunters help.

After hunters skin their bears, there are chest freezers for freezing the bears. Also a room for cutting up your own bear.

27-Dec-18

As I stated in my Spring 2018 thread. Every once in a while hunters will get back to me as to what their Bears scored. Many of our hunters have taken Bears that would score P&Y but many do not go through the process. To them it doesn't matter what it scores. So I really cannot tell you what our percentage is of official P&Y bears is.

All provinces, no matter what certain outfitters say, produce their fair share of P&Y and B&C trophies. To call a Bear a P&Y without the drying period and with no certificate, is jumping the gun!!! I will guess as to whether it will score P&Y but the official certificate says it all.

Bear Biologist really do not like it when "TROPHY" bears are the main animals targeted by an outfitter. As they say eventually your genetics will go south. Especially within a certain outfitters hunting area.

There are enough bears roaming our nine Bear Management Areas that have the Genetics to make "Trophy Class". We take quite a few each season without just targeting them.

27-Dec-18

Pine Acres guide, Joe Tanner, bear hunts any time he has free time. He loves bear meat. Even more so, he loves Archery hunting. He has his own prime bear country deeded land which he inherited, a couple of miles from camp, which is not in my BMA.

27-Dec-18
You're doing a great job Chris!

27-Dec-18
Are the sites baited prior to hunts so the bears know the locations? What’s the cost for non hunters? What is the meal arrangement? How many people do the cabins accommodate? What’s the nearest town?

27-Dec-18

Yes Joe (Mule Power), baits are set out in Mid April for the Spring Bear hunt and July 15th for Fall bear hunt. They are rebaited as needed. In 2018 we started mid April with snow still on the ground. Cost per non hunter is $400.00. All meals are cooked in the cabins by hunters themselves. All cabins have full kitchens.

27-Dec-18

This is our 4 person cabin....Cabin #9.
This is our 4 person cabin....Cabin #9.
cabin # 5 sleeps 6
cabin # 5 sleeps 6
or eat at our restaurant
or eat at our restaurant
Thanks Greg...Cabins have everything needed for preparing your own meals. Our cabins will accomodate group sizes of 1 to 8. Camp is on the edge of Vermilion Bay. We have a service station 1 mile from camp for all the hunters needs including Diesel and licenses. Dryden is a 40 minute drive from camp. We are not on a lake but have boat caches for fishing available. **** hunters will be able to get their licenses on line now.

27-Dec-18

Bring a therma cell!!!
Bring a therma cell!!!

27-Dec-18

Winter 2018....called this Male in to with in 15o yards.
Winter 2018....called this Male in to with in 15o yards.

27-Dec-18

2018 Fall hunt over bait...
2018 Fall hunt over bait...
Been hunting at Pine Acres since 2006.
Been hunting at Pine Acres since 2006.

28-Dec-18

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
Vermillion Bay.... monster muskies!

Last question... what is the average weight of a spring bear?

28-Dec-18

Eagle Lake Muskie...Joe Tanner
Eagle Lake Muskie...Joe Tanner
Walleyes....Caught from shore!!
Walleyes....Caught from shore!!
Spring average taken would be 190 to 200 lbs. Our bears stay denned longer than most areas. Pretty skinny when they emerge. Ontario has the second largest bear population in Canada.... 2nd to BC . Reproduction of bears is tremendous with lots of juvenile bears that have to be to be weeded through. We will go over what a hunter looks for in a larger bear during orientation and throughout the hunt.

Joe Ferrero, bring on the questions!!!

28-Dec-18

As I said, Bear reproduction is tremendous. Because of the abundance of many natural food sources, sows are able to exceed the minimum weight that is needed for her to carry her embryos to term. Further, because of the healthy crops of berries of every type, many sows are having litters of 3 and 4. Also, because of her good health, her cubs have low natural mortality.

28-Dec-18

Sow and 4 cubs.....clay bait
Sow and 4 cubs.....clay bait
Sow with 4 cubs....Double Dam.
Sow with 4 cubs....Double Dam.
Sow with 3 cubs.... Knob Lake Bait
Sow with 3 cubs.... Knob Lake Bait

28-Dec-18
Great info and thread Chris! Happy Holidays!

28-Dec-18
Thanks John....Happy New Year!!!

28-Dec-18

Beavers...a bears important protein source in early Spring. Beavers are VERY abundant here in NW Ontario.
Beavers...a bears important protein source in early Spring. Beavers are VERY abundant here in NW Ontario.
Beaver ponds are everywhere here..... Beavers ( Bear food) galore!!!
Beaver ponds are everywhere here..... Beavers ( Bear food) galore!!!
and whitetail fawns....no shortage here. I've seen many videos of bears taking down full grown deer and Moose Calves.
and whitetail fawns....no shortage here. I've seen many videos of bears taking down full grown deer and Moose Calves.
I'll go a little off track and talk about food sources.....

Spring time is when the Juvenile beavers start looking for their own domain. They leave the family unit and waddle down the old logging roads. Easy pickings for a wandering bear.

28-Dec-18

Pin Cherries Early July.... Bear food
Pin Cherries Early July.... Bear food
Blueberries
Blueberries
Wild Sassparilla...bears eat so much they get drunk.
Wild Sassparilla...bears eat so much they get drunk.

28-Dec-18
Chris......You state you have boat caches. Are these boats situated on different lakes in the area, or are they on trailers and can be rented? What size motors are on them? When does walleye season open? Do you guys see any color phase bears?

How does the logistics work if several guys come to hunt with just one vehicle? I’m assuming the guy on the furthest away bait drops the other guys off, then picks them up in reverse order after dark? Do you have cell phone reception in your area? Thanks in advance!.....Troy

28-Dec-18

This coloured bear still walks
This coloured bear still walks
This sow had 2 coloured cubs of the year with her!!
This sow had 2 coloured cubs of the year with her!!
This bear also still walks.
This bear also still walks.
One of my favourite baits....Bear Factory!!
One of my favourite baits....Bear Factory!!
T-roy boats are cached at the lakes we have permits for. You would just take a 9.9 that we have for the hunters with you each time you go to fish. We have caches on 3 lakes and Eagle River. We would go over the fishing holes with you. Rent B&M by the day.

We have quite a few coloured bears in our BMA's. Seems more coloured bears now than anytime before. Certain areas have cell service but its not always reliable. Can't depend on service. I organize pick up before hunters arrive each week. Last guy dropped off has vehicle and picks all others up on way back.

At this point, if a hunter wants to focus solely on coloured bears, we have them but your chances for colours would be better out west like at Desjardins Outfitters or one of the other Western Bowsite sponsors!!!

28-Dec-18

This bear is for the hunter who passes smaller bears. Patience, will in most cases, pay off!! When the sows come in heat the big guys start coming into baits during daylight hours.

28-Dec-18

Interesting how all bears...including this little guy, picks the treestand out as soon as he walks in. This treestand was put up before we baited it for the first time and had not ever been hunted from. It was set in great cover and a "NEW" site.

My point of this post is....if a hunter moves too much, slaps mosquitoes, plays on his cell phone etc., all that hunter will get in front of him or her are smaller bears such as this one. Most trophy bears will shy away during the day if a fidgety hunter is in the stand. Be ready for mosquitoes the first sit. Pretty well all cell phone pics hunters take of lessor bears, the bears are looking right at the hunter in the pic. ***Very counter productive!!! A trophy bear that the hunter is after always stops before coming into a site and looks over the bait. Most times a hunter has no idea the bear is observing at a distance. You just educated the bear.

29-Dec-18
Any ground blind hunting? This sounds good, I will keep up with this thread.

29-Dec-18
Yes, ground blinds can be set up for archers. We will make the blind out of natural materials such as logs etc and branches, as the bear will ram sack the blind.

29-Dec-18

Jean on left with Lottie Lavoie ( Owner ) on right.
Jean on left with Lottie Lavoie ( Owner ) on right.
Girls turn to carry!!
Girls turn to carry!!
We get a few husband and wife groups each season. Jean in this pic was very emotional when she shot this bear. She was an awesome client as was her husband Bill. They camped in one of our campsites behind the lodge. Most of our hunters become friends!!!

Lottie, owner of Pine Acres, gets involved every once in a while when she is not behind the grill at the restaurant. Lottie knows the bait mixture and has had to mix many a bait for the hunters. One time we lost Lottie in a floating bog while tracking a bear, she s only 4'11, doesn't take much to lose her LOL!!

29-Dec-18
Your right about most hunters becoming friends Chris! Wish I was coming back this year but gotta go chase some elk. Great thread. Good luck this year!

29-Dec-18

WVHillbilly and his 2018 bear.
WVHillbilly and his 2018 bear.
Good luck on your Elk hunt Dave!! Happy New Year to ya'll

29-Dec-18
We enjoyed are time camping out there, we will be back. We need to do more fishing next time. I can't wait for spring!

29-Dec-18
One time Joe and I had no time to stop for supper and we were starved. Little did we know that Bill and Jean had 2 burgers and fixings each for us. Awesome couple to have in camp. One afternoon, while I was out baiting, Bill and another client who tagged a bear earlier in the day, went and tracked an older gents bear by themselves. By the time I got out there to help, they had the bear tagged gutted and carried back to the bait.

Everyone in camp works together.....

29-Dec-18

Kid Rock Bait
Kid Rock Bait
I don't know how this thief did this but he actually lifted and carried the barrel full of bait. Good thing it was chained to keep the thief from stealing the bait.

29-Dec-18

Even the bears are friendly in Canada!!! This guy waves to everyone
Even the bears are friendly in Canada!!! This guy waves to everyone

29-Dec-18

Bears like my Bait mixture enough to fight over it!!
Bears like my Bait mixture enough to fight over it!!

29-Dec-18

You can actually see the tree stand in the background. Perfect bow set up
You can actually see the tree stand in the background. Perfect bow set up
This Wolf was constantly eating out of the bait barrel. So I hung the bait in 2- 5 gallon pails. Smart wolf because the wolf focused on what was holding the bucket in the tree. Wanted to chew the rope to get at the bait. We ended up shooting this wolf in October.

30-Dec-18

Howling into the full moon...
Howling into the full moon...
Litter of wolf pups
Litter of wolf pups

30-Dec-18

There is a dead bear laying at the back of this barrel. When the hunter shot it, this bear in the pic wouldn't leave. So he stood at the ground blind and tried to scare the bear off. Bear was reluctant to leave the bait but eventually left. So the hunter stuck a strobe flash light with a magnet on the barrel to spook bears off and the hunter went for help. He didn't want his bear eaten....well it didn't work. We had to chase this bear off when we went back that night to get the dead bear.

01-Jan-19

Spring 2018...
Spring 2018...
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

Huge head on this male bear

Contact number while at the Milwaukee All Canada Show is 1-807-221-9793. Chris Lavoie.

09-Jan-19

***1974 - 2019, 45 Years of working with bear hunters*** Milwaukee All Canada Show last weekend. Joe Tanner on the left...Chris on right.
***1974 - 2019, 45 Years of working with bear hunters*** Milwaukee All Canada Show last weekend. Joe Tanner on the left...Chris on right.
Bowsiter...Stuckintherut and his Ontario Bear
Bowsiter...Stuckintherut and his Ontario Bear
NW Ontario Whitetails
NW Ontario Whitetails
Wolf....Crossbow
Wolf....Crossbow
We'll be at the Green Bay All Canada Show from Jan 17 - 20th at the Radisson Conference Centre.

Met quite a few Bowsiters in Milwaukee, thanks for stopping by the booth and talking bears!!

2019Spring and Fall Bear hunts are spoken for but booking for Spring and Fall Bear deer and Wolf 2020!! Stop by the booth for a visit!!!

Cell 1-807-221-9793.

10-Jan-19

Ruffed Grouse
Ruffed Grouse
Ruffed Grouse population is high with a limit of 5 a day, 15 aggregate. Many old roads you can walk and get arrows off to some birds. Season starts September 15th. Need small game license....check out our Grouse page on our updated website!!! Package includes in field Orientation for a couple of hours to show you around.

10-Jan-19

Fisher
Fisher
Ruffed Grouse
Ruffed Grouse
Osprey
Osprey
Our packages are semi guided. Semi guided means drive yourself to your baited sites. Driving to your baits and back to camp gives you the opportunity to view the wildlife that live in our forests.....here are a few you may encounter!!

10-Jan-19

Fox dragging new born fawn
Fox dragging new born fawn

23-Jan-19

APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS....taken today January 23rd.
APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS....taken today January 23rd.
Getting shown around in the hills!!
Getting shown around in the hills!!
Bow setup of my Bear hunting buddy. Right near the Eastern Tennessee and North Carolina Boundary. Don't think I would try this stand!!
Bow setup of my Bear hunting buddy. Right near the Eastern Tennessee and North Carolina Boundary. Don't think I would try this stand!!
We took a side trip to the mountains of Eastern Tn / N. Carolina.

23-Jan-19
So Chris, I hunted with you multiple times back in the early and mid 90's, before the spring ban. Got great video taking a bear off the truck bait. I loved sitting around visiting with your father. He was always such an outgoing, and fun person to be around. (And talking to him on the phone was why we came in the first place.) Could you fill in a little bit about him since those many years ago? Thanks, Alan

23-Jan-19
Well, he bought the camp back in 1974. I was his main guide and ran the hunts from when I was old enough to 1998. I bought the camp and he and my mom retired. He was so bored that he became a taxi driver in Dryden as he LOVED to talk to different people. Riders would actually ask to have my dad be the one who taxied them to their destinations. My dad died in 2013 and my mom in 2012.

23-Jan-19

Rene and Joyce Lavoie, owners of Pine Acres 1974 to 1998.
Rene and Joyce Lavoie, owners of Pine Acres 1974 to 1998.
Truck Bait!!
Truck Bait!!

24-Jan-19
Wow! That brings back memories. Thanks so much for sharing it, Chris. I'm really sorry for the loss of your parents. But one thing you can rest assured is that there are many, many more people out there that they touched, and made their lives a little brighter. Your story about him being requested as a taxi driver exemplifies what I remember about your dad. He was the kind of guy that you just loved to be around. I specifically remember an incident where a guy called up and said he had a bunch of honey for sale, and your dad made a deal to buy it. And when the guy showed up, your dad pulled out a wad of Canadian money to pay him for it. The guy got all bent out of shape because he wanted U.S. dollars. And Rene, without missing a beat, said "We're in Canada. You get Canadian dollars." And he ended up with the honey!

26-Jan-19
Nice stories & pics of your parents Chris... love reading about that kind of stuff on this site.

26-Jan-19
thanks Ibow..

07-Feb-19

Missouri hunter and his home made long bow and arrows!!
Missouri hunter and his home made long bow and arrows!!
May 10th and the week of May 17th 2020 still have 2 or more cabins available. May 24th week has 3 cabins. Week of May 31 has one cabin but might be taken later today. Week of June 7th is booked. Let me know...call 1-807-221-9793 or email at [email protected]. Reasonable price of $1550.00 plus 13% tax and $245.00 license. Chris.

Come and enjoy an ONTARIO SPRING BEAR HUNT!!!!

07-Feb-19

Combo Bear / Wolf...Middle of September!!
Combo Bear / Wolf...Middle of September!!
Have a few spots for the 2020Fall Bear / Wolf combo hunts. Can set up for ARCHERY hunters!!!

08-Feb-19

Josh Lyles, 2018 spring.
Josh Lyles, 2018 spring.
Weeks starting May 10th... 1 cabin available, 17th and 24th still have 2 or more cabins avaiable. May 31 and June 7th are now booked for 2020. Still a few openings for Fall 2020.

Semi guided means hunters bait own site once we show them their bait. Drive from camp to hunting area with own vehicle. Hunters skin own bear or have guide skin and quarter at a cost of $100.00. Hunters do own cooking in the cabins. Freezers available for all. We will supply fully modern cabins, treestands, stand by sites, tracking and retrieving.

Hunters can continue to hunt if blood is drawn on first bear, but no bear found.

*** Our cabins available will hold from 1 to 4 hunters. 1 group per cabin no mixing groups. Average group size is 2. Chris.

10-Feb-19

Week of the 10th & 24th is taken...now just the week of May 17th is available for the Spring 2020 hunt. Also still a few spots for Fall 2020. 1-807-221-9793 or [email protected]

08-Mar-19

Prime Bear Country!!!
Prime Bear Country!!!
Not too long before we can venture out to set baits for Spring...can't wait!!!

*** still have some Fall Bear hunts available for Fall 2020.

09-Mar-19

Norse Lake....within one of Pine Acres 9 Bear Management Areas
Norse Lake....within one of Pine Acres 9 Bear Management Areas

10-Mar-19

November 8, 2018. Site should be an instant hit this Spring!! Site has a sow and 4 cubs.
November 8, 2018. Site should be an instant hit this Spring!! Site has a sow and 4 cubs.
A fat one!!
A fat one!!
5 bears ate 50 pounds of dairy ration overnight!!

11-Mar-19

"Nesting", late season bear!! Just next to Mutrie Rock Bear Bait. This bear was active on the bait from start up early May 2018 till November.
"Nesting", late season bear!! Just next to Mutrie Rock Bear Bait. This bear was active on the bait from start up early May 2018 till November.
Mutrie Rock Bait
Mutrie Rock Bait

12-Mar-19

Norse Lake
Norse Lake
Walsh Lake...
Walsh Lake...
Ontario's Wilderness.....All Lakes, Trees and Bears from the Manitoba border to the Quebec border.

16-Mar-19

Many "NEW" areas opened up each year allowing us to leave areas alone for a few years.
Many "NEW" areas opened up each year allowing us to leave areas alone for a few years.
We have nine HUGE Bear Management areas to hunt from here at Pine Acres. Many areas are left alone for years before we venture back in. We are going into Virgin Bear Country this Spring to harvest some unhunted bears, looking forward to the hunt.

*** Hunters that have hunted ONTARIO in the last few years and have a HUNTING version Outdoors card issued by the OMNRF, can now buy the Bear and fishing licenses on line, from your home. It is recommended as the issuers will be extra busy this Spring as there is a new system in place !!

16-Mar-19

Buller Lake....Northern fishing from shore!!
Buller Lake....Northern fishing from shore!!

16-Mar-19

May 2018...Cedar Bait.
May 2018...Cedar Bait.

16-Mar-19
Getting closer Chris we r going to have to get to work, nice pics.

16-Mar-19
Thanks Alexis, doesn't look like Spring has sprung yet but it is just around the corner. Good luck this year Alexis.

16-Mar-19
Same to u Chris we will hear some stories always a fun time.

17-Mar-19
Love your pics Spike!

17-Mar-19
Thanks Ibow

17-Mar-19

Early Spring nesting
Early Spring nesting

20-Mar-19
I "HIGHLY" recommend that any hunter visiting ONTARIO, phone the OMNRF to purchase their hunting and fishing licenses before coming to Ontario to hunt and or fish.

*** number to buy an Outdoors Card and Licenses is 1-800-387-7011. They will walk you through the process. Can still purchase at any License Issuers in Ontario but there will be a wait as All issuers will be backlogged as its a new system. Have your hunter accredation ready... meaning any Gun Hunting License from your home state. Oh and you will need a credit card to purchase!!

Bonus is you will get the full exchange as your credit card will pay in Canadian funds!!

For those with a Hunters Version of an Outdoors card, buying a license over the phone or online will be easy!!!

I'll see if I can get Joe to post the link tomorrow.... I have no idea on how to do links.

27-Mar-19

10 year old bear
10 year old bear
Bobby and the first bear tagged in 2018.

****I will send in the teeth of the bears if hunters want. Some teeth are not able to be aged due to breaking during extraction. You will get your bears age and a Ontario Bear Hunter patch.

• Sitka Gear