Mcadam17 27-Dec-18
Rocky D 27-Dec-18
Mcadam17 27-Dec-18
LINK 27-Dec-18
Brotsky 27-Dec-18
Mcadam17 27-Dec-18
Dave 27-Dec-18
26-Dec-18
Just looking for advice and expectations on a public land draw tag. Is the thought of a 300 inch bull as goal realistic etc in units 13 15 17

26-Dec-18
A realistic minium.

26-Dec-18
Yes minimum is what I was looking for. Outfitter suggestions also welcome

26-Dec-18
A3 NM Ryan Nogosek

26-Dec-18
Yea, I cant see you droping the string on less then a 300ish bull in those units, cause what's the point. Those are good tags and hard to come by. Plenty of potential in those units.

27-Dec-18
New Mexico outfitter GT Nunn - Frontier Outfitters

27-Dec-18
Any idea when the results of the 2018 archery elk season will be posted for NM and/or AZ?

27-Dec-18
You mean draw odds and what not??

27-Dec-18
The draw odds on NM game and fish provide you the draw odds. What they do no not do is break down serendipity. By this I mean the guy that puts in one or two times and bam he gets touched by the magic wand and magic happens. I drew the first two times that I put in for a 16 unit and have not drawn again in the last seven years.

I personally held out for a 300 plus bull this year and went home empty handed. This said, I have killed elk before, I know what those units trophy potential, and I am 61 years old and have hunted for fifty years so it is no longer about the killing.

If I really wanted to hunt those units I would put in for a tag with an outfitter and if I didn't draw my backup plan would be to get a Landowner tag hunt from the outfitter or do a DIY hunt. The reason that I choose those units is not a 300 bull but the chance to hunt some truly magnificent creatures that exceed your minimum. There are other states that may produce a 300 bull that has more favorable draw odds or a point game where one to three points would put you in the field. The unique aspect of the NM system is that it is a random draw so technically you have the same chance to draw as any other nonresident as long you are aware of how few of the tags that go to nonresidents.

P. S. there are people that have killed plenty of elk that go every year to those units and are pleased with any good bull and even a cow on the last day. Make a plan that meet your goals but I would have a multiple pronged approach if I was really wanting to hunt elk next year or within the next five years.

27-Dec-18
Yeah I'm not paying for the landowner tags yet. I'll give it a few years on draw and see. I'm not really saying I wouldnt shoot anything less I was just looking to see if that was truly the expectation. I wouldnt wanna get a tag and get all pumped up for 350 inch bulls and then get out there and it being not realistic.

27-Dec-18
There are plenty of 300”ers in those units. Still on public land it’s still elk hunting. They aren’t hiding behind every tree.

27-Dec-18
The bull is a lot more realistic than your odds of drawing any of those tags, even in the outfitter pool.

27-Dec-18
Ok. Right now I'm looking at mangas outfitters. Tuffy barnett. Anyone ever use them? Seems like a nice guy

27-Dec-18
I hunted with Mangas on a landowner tag in 13 a few yrs back. No complaints. Didn't kill but passed on some smaller bulls and had a few close calls with decent bulls. Food was good and lodging was good but I think he puts you up different places depending on the unit you're hunting so I can't speak for all the places. As far as outfitters go, he's decent. A lot depends on your guide though when it comes to success.

• Sitka Gear