Charlie Rehor 28-Dec-18
Paul@thefort 28-Dec-18
butcherboy 29-Dec-18
Treeline 29-Dec-18
Treeline 29-Dec-18
Bowboy 29-Dec-18
Surfbow 29-Dec-18
28-Dec-18
Can't go deer hunting, well at least not yet. I am planning to hunt Coues Deer in AZ as the season starts on Jan 1. and was going to leave yesterday, then today, and maybe tomorrow. But now is might not be until Sunday. All packed and ready. Going stir crazy.

It seems there is a MAJOR Major, snow storm--blizzard-- in Central New Mexico and right in my driving path, especially around Albuquerque. High winds, blowing snow, cold temps, snow for the past two days and recommendations are not to drive.

Better safe than sorry. Anyone else in the same predicament?

My best, Paul

28-Dec-18
I have driven on closed highways in a blizzard with zero visibility just to go turkey hunting. Nothing stops me from going hunting. You have more restraint than I Paul. Good luck when you do go

28-Dec-18
Justin, the storm is moving west to east and then back from the east. Should be calmer tomorrow but predicted very cold and blowing snow. The conditions of the highway, I-25, is the largest factor and the winds through those area can be very very high and blowing and drifting snow. Not a good place to get stranded especially pulling a pop up trailer. More storm on Mon and Tues.

28-Dec-18
'Anyone else in the same predicament?' All the Mexicans there.

28-Dec-18
be safe the deer will wait.

28-Dec-18
Good luck Will. Check out the current weather report for the Albuquerque area and then get back to me with a recommendation. I will be going but......... my best, Paul

28-Dec-18
TrapperK, True but then they can just stay home for the most part.

Bou'bound, Yep

28-Dec-18
Yeah, I know, just trying to lighten it up. I hope you get to go hunting. I am done for the year. We get plenty of snow too. Envy you guys who get to hunt multiple seasons and places. Good luck!

28-Dec-18
Just a snow storm had me worried thought the wife and Chase were blocking the door.

28-Dec-18
I'm in that predicament right now, blizzard warning the past couple of days. Supposed to clear up today and hopefully the pup and I can get out after a few late season birds tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry Paul, after all, you can't hunt until Tuesday! :-) Good luck and safe travels!

28-Dec-18
Yep we are getting slammed with snow right now! 12" at my house already!

If it were driving through any other state I would go, but NM drivers suck and the snow makes them loose what little driving ability they had!

The storm is supposed to last through the early morning Saturday.

Good luck, and I hope you get to leave soon!

28-Dec-18
Good luck when you get to go. It was likely Gods way to spare a Deer another day or two.

28-Dec-18
That’s what weather reports are for you are doing right no sense whatsoever to put yourself or others in harms way good luck on your hunt Lewis

28-Dec-18
I'm driving to NW NM from the DFW area this weekend for a Unit 2B Mule Deer hunt. I should be going thru that area on Sunday morning... I'm hoping its ok by then... looks like it should be.

28-Dec-18
I'm flying into ABQ on Sunday for the same hunt Paul. Good luck!

28-Dec-18
Hope the weather co-operates so you can get there and smoke a nice deer ! ;)

28-Dec-18
Age has helped one thing Paul, you've learned a bit. Better to delay than be waiting in some hotel while they fix your ditched vehicle or worse yet, laying on a hospital bed.

Even if you made it, who wants to set up camp in a snowstorm.

28-Dec-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Well, I have decided to leave early Saturday morning from Ft. Collins and drive to Albuquerque, 9- 10 hours, Should be there late in the afternoon, if the roads are ok. Storm is suppose to move through by early 6 am on Saturday. Hope the road crews are out and working. Once I get south of there, all should be ok. Sun shine and cold on Sat and Sun, but then other storm, rain and snow on Mon and Tues. This is the first time in 8 other trips down that I have had to delay departure because of weather. I am sure there will be a story that follows. Thanks for the good wishes. Paul

PS, Timbhuntr. Not sure if "smoking" is legal in AZ :)

28-Dec-18

I saved this one for the deer.
I saved this one for the deer.

28-Dec-18
Good luck with the weather Paul, and good luck (and skill) on your hunt.

28-Dec-18
cant wait for the recap!

28-Dec-18
Safe Travels and Best of Luck Paul! Those deer will still be there waiting for you.

28-Dec-18
nothing keeps me at home quicker than a snow storm... Just no longer worth the chance driving , especially a major storm...Like was stated... with age comes wisdom... After reading your last post, now i'd only leave Monday or Tuesday. Good luck either way.... I 'll be waiting to read the recap....

28-Dec-18
Safe travels Paul.

Dirt nap a smoker!

28-Dec-18
Hey Field , I'm from Pa. also. During the winter snow is a norm for us in NW Pa. This time last year, we got 32 " of snow from Christmas eve to Christmas morning. We here just give ourselves more time and leave earlier. The key is to take your time. Let the other be the idiots. They are the ones that are better off in the ditch. They are safer there.

28-Dec-18
Yep, being from OHio, living in the UP of Michigan, South Dakota, and now Colorado, I have had my share of snow driving. I still hope the highways are clean and dry. Thanks all. Heading out at 5 am on Saturday and will stay over night in Albuquerque New Mex. Will be in camp the next afternoon.

28-Dec-18
Be safe and good luck. Looking forward to hearing this story.

28-Dec-18
Hi paul, leaving Sat would be a good plan. I’m from Az and I’ll be hunting Chiricahua Mt area. Flag got some snow but if you time it right I think you’ll skate right through.

28-Dec-18
Stay safe on your trip, Paul! Looking forward to another entertaining thread from you on this latest adventure.....Troy

28-Dec-18
Paul, a few years ago I was headed to NE, probably the same way you're going to AZ, but in reverse from CA and a huge blizzard came and I decided to go. I heard they closed the interstate so I went through Flagstaff and then took surface streets to get around the closures. It ended up taking like 30 hours to get to my hunting spot in NE and it was a miserable drive, but at least I made it. I most certainly wouldn't have though, if I wasn't driving a 4WD.

28-Dec-18
Good luck, Paul....enjoy!

28-Dec-18
I’m halfway to the Midwest right now to hunt the “big whitie”. This is my annual late season hunt! Weather is good right now for driving but I’ll be hoping for bitter cold and snow when I get there tomorrow! Safe travels! C

28-Dec-18

my mode of transportation and camping. Hope for the best. Paul

29-Dec-18
Yep, storm hit us pretty hard yesterday on Friday and roads were really icy. Going to be pretty cold today.

29-Dec-18
Be careful Paul!

My cousin and his family were coming north yesterday and hit some black ice about an hour north of Amarillo. Totaled the car! Lucky no one was hurt. Went back to Amarillo and bought another vehicle to come on this way.

I have been hung up in New Mexico several times over the years in snowstorms and avoided barricades to keep going. Had several very sketchy incidents out there where I was very concerned about making it. Thank God I live in the mountains and always have blankets, food and water with me!

It is not worth it. Wait for the weather to clear!

Hell you are retired and have all the time in the world!

29-Dec-18
PS - Don’t forget Lou’s little incident a few years back!

29-Dec-18
Go luck Paul and drive safe!

29-Dec-18
"PS - Don’t forget Lou’s little incident a few years back!"

Yeah, watch out for that lump in the highway!

• Sitka Gear