12yards 11-Feb-19
2 Points 11-Feb-19
TwoDogs@work 11-Feb-19
BULELK1 17-Feb-19
JusPassin 17-Feb-19
chesapeake born 17-Feb-19
29-Dec-18
'morning All,

NOT with in my family but close friends families.

I get home from an elk hunt in Wyoming--mid October and my neighbor gal comes up to me as I am backing in to park my trlr on the RV slab and tells me that our neighbors, a few doors down, had the teenage son commit suicide while I was gone. Apparently, some time during the night he went into the garage and hung himself and his mom was leaving for her early morning workout and when she opened the garage door to drive out, she found him hanging. How devastating!

Jump ahead in time to this week.

I'm @ the Gas Station filling up and I see my buddies wife coming out, I say Hey and she comes over to me shaking her head...…… I'm like Oh No, what happened?

I guess on x-mas day at the fam-fam gathering the oldest daughter (38-ish?) took some pills, came down from the bathroom, sat on a recliner and then died. Everyone thought she was just taking a mid-afternoon nap type deal and didn't think much until like 2-3 hours had past.

With my Dad passing away in September (natural causes/88 years old), I have had 3 deaths in like 3 1/2 months.

Not sure what or how to handle all of it and how do ya see suicide warning signs to maybe help avoid it for that next person.

Thanks for letting me express my uncertainty.....

Good luck, Robb

29-Dec-18
You handle it with prayer So sad

29-Dec-18
Robb it’s a tough one and sorry you are dealing with it. I have had an uncle, bro in law and nephew die from suicide. The toughest was the young nephew as he was just 21. Real hard on my wife. I recall him asking me questions about guns and bullets at a party shortly before he did it. He was reaching out to me at that party and I didn’t recognize it. Hindsight I should have seen it but at the moment it was just another conversation. I don’t blame myself but today if there is any inkling and I suspect something is going on I ask more questions and suggest getting professional help. And follow up.

29-Dec-18
Robb,

I am very sorry to hear of your loses!

I would suggest you go talk to somebody, a pastor, priest, close friend that you can completely confide in. Since you opened the door, I will add that if you don't have anyone that you feel comfortable with, you can call me! We don't know each other, but sometimes that is the best way! Depression has a way of creeping up on you and can be devastating. Prayer works if you are a man of faith, but not all are.

A far as seeing the warning signs, I don't think you always can. I have seen it a few times, and I never would have guessed that the person would kill themselves. It's tragic. I also believe it is avoidable, but the person suffering needs to take the first step and that can be damn near impossible for some people to do. People need to seek help if they are felling depressed or completely overwhelmed. It's not weakness to seek help, it's weakness NOT to seek help!

You will be in my prayers as I will the families that lost loved ones.

God Bless Brother!

Mark

29-Dec-18
Robb, my better half Nichole does this for a living. She talks to folks everyday from all walks of life that are contemplating suicide. She’ll tell you the warning signs aren’t always there, and that there’s not always something you can do. The first step to understanding it and helping is to know that these folks are not seeing the world in the same way a healthy person sees it. Depression is a dark and often destructive path that leads us to make decisions that just aren’t rational but make perfect sense to the afflicted. We have such a stigma in our society related to mental health and depression. As tough guys that take care of our own business we don’t want to let one ounce of weakness show so we often suffer in silence until we reach a place so dark there’s no other alternative. The only answer I have is to love your neighbors, family, and friends. Talk to them, be there for them, and let them know it’s okay to not be okay. If you or someone you know ever needs to talk you can get a hold of us 24/7 Robb. We’re all in this crazy thing called life together, it’s a lot easier if we all help pull in the same direction. God bless and have a Happy New Year!

29-Dec-18
Sadly it`s becoming the "rage" of late. Suicide rates are soaring with young teens and younger adults. Many put the blame on the tech industry....others say Big Pharma, but it`s very hard to pin point. Look at the recent celebrity suicides.

I believe they can show some slight signs but nothing that most would consider obvious. It`s hard to know what is in people`s hearts and minds. That`s why we always say...."I`m shocked, I would of never thought".

29-Dec-18
Stay involved and engaged with your family and friends. Today we live in a society that is quickly becoming less social. Likely contributing to some extent to the Loneliness and feeling like no one cares. I rely on my faith in Christ daily and if I were put in your position I were turn to him first.

29-Dec-18
I agree with Bou, handle with prayer. But it is not all that easy. I am not an expert, and I believe there are not always warning signs. We had a young man, just graduated high school commit suicide a few years back. Went down to the creek, ran a hose into the cab of his truck and drifted off to sleep. He left a note with money to pay for his funeral as well. I still don't know why. When I look back, I see a cocky, slightly funny looking kid that most folks liked. What did I miss? I don't know. He insisted on betting with me in class one day but when he tried to pay me the $5 he had wagered (his choice), I just had him bring ice cream for the class (wasn't many of us). You even look back at that and think could that have been part of the problem. I know it wasn't but still.

His mother works at school and this year has been assigned a special needs kid that she accompanies to all the classes. One of the hardest things I did this semester was talk about CO poisoning in the hunter's ed portion of the ag class. I know that had to be hard for Jamie to listen to.

29-Dec-18
People have mental illnesses and don't seek help. Some just can't handle stress and disappointments in their life. Sorry to hear that it is affecting some of your friends. About three years ago my brother-in-law took a bunch of pills and killed himself. It was about the 5th time that he tried to do it. About 20 years ago his daughter hanged herself. Both of them had mental illness problems. Normally people will seek help but some just don't want to admit that they have a problem. All you can do is try to comfort the ones that are left behind.

29-Dec-18
Robb you are truly in one of those storms of life. Always remember that once the storm passes, the sun will shine again. Death always leaves a scar, but in time it will heal.

Keep the faith, stay in prayer, walk with Christ, wait patiently for the clouds to break and for the sun to shine again in life.

May God bless.

29-Dec-18
"The Grief Recovery Book" by John James and Russell Friedman is a really good book.

"Grieving a suicide" by Albert Hsu is also a good read.

Sadly suicide touched my life this year with absolutely no warning signs and these books and others helped make since of it.

29-Dec-18

Deertick's Link
I've had more experience than I'd like with suicides, let's just say that. Of course, it's terrible, and the more you think about it, the deeper the problem becomes, and it's terribly complex. I've enjoyed Jordan Peterson's videos regarding this (there are others ... the link goes to a particularly useful answer to a question like yours).

Suicide rates are increasing among those born after 1995. Something about us older folks has failed that generation ... they don't deal with conflict well, and our generation has a lot to do with how the world of 2019 is going to work. Jonathan Haidt is a psychologist who has investigated the "why" of this phenomenon and I've found his work to be helpful at understanding the nature of this "new" surge in suicide.

Here's an into to his thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2jWqtCmK4

We just had a suicide recently of a teenager here in our town, too, and it's apparent that there are no easy answers, but it's a good time to think about arming your kids against isolation and doubt.

29-Dec-18
Been there. Neighbor and hunting buddy and I went pheasant hunting one weekend. He was alway out going and crazy type of guy. Wife, two young kids nice house, and at least 100 guns in his collection. Owned an insurance business. Two days after the pheasant hunt, he went into back yard, laid down a tarp, laid down on it and put a .44 mag through his heart. I and all his friends and family were stunned. There were no signs at all. Found out later that he had some major financial problems that were hidden and he was going to have to dial back his life style, a lot. I still think about him a lot and that was November 4, 2002.

29-Dec-18
Prayers to you and all involved.

Time to get personal for a minute. The reason there aren’t always warning signs is because when we’re going through things like that we usually don’t show any. Just a year and a half ago, I came very, very close. And, absolutely nobody on the planet knew anything about it. It is so much easier to paint on a smile than you think. Now, fortunately for me my story had a happy ending. I figured my crap out. Obviously, many, many do not. It sounds cliché, but I really think the best thing anybody can do is just be kind to other people, Lend a hand when they can, and watch for any signs they see. Sometimes a simple kind act goes along way. I am truly sorry to hear about how things are going for you, and I hope they improve for you and all around you right away. Peace

29-Dec-18
I have first hand knowlege with my oldest daughter at age 18 . Luck was with me as i noticed nails marks on her wrist. Got her admitted to children hostpial. Long story short it was her epilepsy med making her depress. Now she takes med for depression cause she as to have the med for epilepsy. Depression is a illness and needs attention right away. Our family took classes to understand what are the triggers and how to cope with them.

She 22 now and still gets depress but she know her triggers and seek help. It will never away but if you know your triggers it will save your life.

29-Dec-18
I just got a crash course as my wife's ex dropped off their Son to us, toured the new house, joked with him about life and then he drove out of our gated community and shot himself. I was there with the boy when the Deputy told us. Devastated doesn't even begin to describe the situation. It's been a tough week! Lots of good comments above, thx!

29-Dec-18
Just have to keep praying. My pops killed himself when I was younger. I’ve had a few friends go that route, and while I’ll never understand it, I’ve forgiven every one of them. It helps in moving on.

29-Dec-18
I've had 3 siblings commit suicide. Each of them under different "reasons". One had ALS so it was a little easier to understand and accept. Another was the father of 2 small children. He abandoned them with his deed. His was harder to forgive. The other was due to sheer loneliness and inability to take corrective actions. Some suicides are "easier" (if that's the correct term) to accept than others. None of my siblings had any spiritual connection with a creator. I don't think they even believed in God. Sad, and most likely the cause for 2 of their decisions. The other's physical illness is a bit more easy to understand. Prayer, understanding and forgiveness will help get through it.

29-Dec-18
I saw a lot of it, while on the job, and unfortunately while it happened, in a few occasions. It is so hard on the family...............

all I can offer is to talk to God, a lot of prayer, and be strong for the family....

I will also pray for the same................... stay well

29-Dec-18
I don't have answers. I will say a prayer for you and those involved, Mr. Robb.

Hang in there and continue to be kind to those who need it most, for sure.

29-Dec-18
They say that suicide never ends the pain, it just passes it on. Take care Rob, Moben

29-Dec-18
Stay connected and talk and talk and talk and get help. Its okay to asked for help.

29-Dec-18
Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't have the answers and sometimes it's a complete shock as it wasn't predictable. Most of the time though there are cries for help but they aren't always obvious. If you have someone you are concerned about and all of a sudden they seem fine and at piece then you should have a chat. There seems to be a lot of anguish until a person decides exactly what to do and understands their pain is almost over.

How to deal with the person's loved one's who are left behind is uncomfortable. I can tell you without a doubt that it's best to push through the awkwardness and speak with them. Send them messages, facebook, phonecalls, whatever... they need to know the person who died was loved and appreciated. It is a topic that is not best avoided (even though it's painful).

Good luck to you.

29-Dec-18
Has anyone talked to Robb today or heard from him? Just concerned, and not implying anything! I only wish and pray for the best for all of you!

29-Dec-18
Been involved with suicides, very hard to pick up on any clues that it's about to happen. And I seem to second guess myself when I think of them. It's a tragic event that's impossible to understand, much the same as a young persons life lost. Prayers for all of you dealing with these unfortunate circumstances. Jeff

29-Dec-18
Sorry for your losses...Keep the faith...

29-Dec-18
A friend of mine several years ago went on an elk hunt with the local druggist. The first morning they were to hunt (after packing in) he got up and ask his buddy if he was getting up. The druggist said no he was going to sleep in as he was to tired to get up. After hunting till about noon he returned to find out his buddy hadn't got up. Went in the tent and his buddy had shot himself with the pistol he brought with him and was dead in his sleeping bag.

29-Dec-18
Went through something similar 6 months ago. Good friend shot him self after selling his business. I had seen his truck a couple days earlier but “didn’t have time to stop”. I wondered if I had, would it have made a difference. Who knows, but you can’t blame yourself for the actions of another. I’m sure that sounds cold, but it’s how I’ve dealt with several over the years.

29-Dec-18
Robb, Sorry for your losses have Faith follow the Lord this is one of scenes of your Life as in the Prayer " Footprints", don't keep anything inside Talk to someone and Prayer will get you through this. Also everyone on this site will help! "Godbless"

29-Dec-18
I had two friends commit suicide this summer I just don't understand it!!!! worst thing about it, it's a straight ticket to hell.

29-Dec-18
I believe that for most people who commit suicide, their life is already a living hell. And keep in mind that a lot of people do not share your specific religious beliefs. Think about it. What state of mind could drive you to seriously consider suicide? When all hope is lost and there is truly nothing to live for. Most of us are fortunate and never, ever, are quite that depressed and in that deep a state of emotional or physical pain that we would seriously consider ending our own life. Makes me feel very fortunate indeed.

29-Dec-18
Robb, I am sorry for your losses.

Forest bows, while suicide is a very terrible thing, nowhere in the Bible does it say that suicide can't be forgiven by God. Two notable figures in the Bible committed suicide - King Saul when he was mortally wounded in battle and didn't want to be captured and tortured, and Sampson after he was blinded and made to turn a grindstone, but regained his strength. The Bible does say that the only unforgivable sin is rejecting Jesus (i.e. blasphemy against the Holy Spirit - Mathew 12:31)

29-Dec-18
As I sit here reading. I think of every word that is being said. I too ask WHY. I use to work part time in a behavior health hospital. Many times, I would asked the experts Why. The answers would be I think or the book states this. Some would even say nobody really knows. I too feel it is very tragetic and sad. I heard a song by Rascal Flatts titled Why. It is on the internet. To me it brings to light what the people left behind are going through. It hurts , man it really hurts. But, it really makes you think. It makes you think of your loved ones. We will never know WHY, but we will always ask WHY.

29-Dec-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I always liked this poem.....

29-Dec-18
JL that’s great

29-Dec-18
So many sad instances of suicide in this thread.

I had three extended family members take their lives- all were young with no major medical problems. It sure devastates those left to deal with it.

I tear up just remembering...........

29-Dec-18
Suicide could absolutely be forgiven by God if you repented of it but if you're dead you can't do that. I believe taking your own life is a sin. I've battled with this a lot being that I've had friends commit suicide. Just sucks!!

29-Dec-18

29-Dec-18
Forest Bows there is no scriptural support for your belief. So it’s worthless. In any event, why share it on a thread like this? All it can do is cause more hurt and pain.

29-Dec-18
Because it's the hardest part of suicide for me to deal with......I thought that's what the thread was about.

29-Dec-18
We are all sinners, even after we are saved. Which is why He had to die on a cruel cross. Christ’s blood covers all sins except one: not accepting Him as Savior. Which is why it is the ONLY sin that is not forgiven. See above.

You will see many who took their own lives in heaven.

30-Dec-18
Sorry for your loss, and wish you guys the best.

I’ve lost some good friends over the year to suicide, can’t tell you how many I’ve been involved in with work.

One thing I’ll never understand is the amount of people that try, get injured and then will fight tooth and nail to live?

I wish there was a way to help people (really help them), I really don’t see drugs helping. I feel like weed here in Colorado has made it worse, with the teenagers (just speculation).

I do know 99% of the ones I’ve been around are people that stay inside a lot. Not to outdoorsy.

30-Dec-18
Disclaimer: This is my first post although I have been a constant visitor/reader of this forum for many, many years and I mean no harm or disrespect to anyone with anything that I am about to say. First, I am very sorry for all who have had to endure such a situation and I pray that God will heal your wounds and heart. If anyone needs someone to talk to, please feel free to call. Sometimes it is easier to talk to someone that you do not know and don't feel is going to judge you and that you won't have to face but who also shares a similar passion/lifestyle as you do. Secondly, I also do not believe that suicide is a sentence to Hell. Many scholars have debated this and believe that this idea was first propagated to prevent early Christians from using this as an escape from the persecution that they were enduring. If there truly was a Heaven in all of its Glory and by accepting Christ as your Savior ensured that you would go to Heaven, then why continue to endure such hard times and this would have possibly prevented the growth of the Church and spread of the Gospel. God loves us enough that He sent His own Son, Jesus Christ, to suffer on the cross for our forgiveness of sins and that love for us does not stop because a person chooses to take their own life, just as we don't stop loving that person. Also, when someone takes their own life, they are not thinking/acting clearly and I truly don't believe that God will/would hold someone accountable for a decision that was made without a clear mind/conscience. I truly believe that those who have lost loved ones because of suicide do not have to bear the grief that their loved ones are condemned to Hell. Love overcomes all obstacles and there is no greater love than God's love for his children.

30-Dec-18
Well, I have tears in my eyes this early in the AM from reading all the PM's/texts and reading down thru these posts.

Your support is overwhelming and I am very, very thankful.

I am not a very religious man, sure a Catholic and ex Alter boy but as I aged and went thru 2 marriages and different religions with a spouse, I have become distant from attending but not from believing.

Yes, I saw plenty of death in 'Nam @ 18-19 years old but any Vet will tell you that is a different kind of death vs a friend or family member.

I guess I am in that stage of Who is Next type fear.

A good Hike this AM hopefully will give me some relief.

Thank you all again

Good luck, Robb

30-Dec-18
Guys, This is not the time to be bashing. We have somebody that is reaching out to people that he believes can help him get through this rough time. Robb, those guys that you where in the service with are your friends and your family. I served, but in a noncombat time. I am retiring this summer after almost 30 yrs. of nursing in the ICU. Sometimes I ask myself how I have kept my sanity. But I remind myself that by bringing care and support to those that need it most is what matters. Even when you are hurting and dying deep inside. Sometimes words are too much, but the touch of the hand is all that is needed. Smile my friend, it will be OK.

30-Dec-18
Happy to hear from you Robb,

You and the families are in our prayers daily.

God Bless!

30-Dec-18
I had a brother in law do it when he was 21 years old. His brother did it the year before and an uncle the year before that. A grief counselor that was talking to us said that most folks during the span of their life consider just ending it but that there is a component in most people that instantly says "no way". The lady some they thought there was a genetic disorder running in this family that suicide seemed totally normal way out of a situation. My youngest daughter walked in on a 14 year old girl that had just hung herself. It had her shook up for years. The girl had made a suicide pact with her boyfriend. I believe a lot of this has to do with families leaving God and faith out of raising their kids. The kids have no foundation to fall back on. All other ground is sinking sand.....

30-Dec-18
Grant is right. Lean on God. We can never truly be certain about anything in life other then uncertainty. God is the only certain thing we have as humans.

30-Dec-18
I have a daughter who is bipolar and has attempted suicide several times. None successful and none recently. I have seen her suffering so much mentally that quite frankly I could understand her seeking that relief.

30-Dec-18
Hey Robb

My best friend's little sister completed suicide. He told me that talking with others with the same loss was helpful. Hope you can work this out.

My Best,

NICK

30-Dec-18
I have had run ins with friends committing suicide, from hanging to guns and pills. However, how is this related to archery?

30-Dec-18
I have had run ins with friends committing suicide, from hanging to guns and pills. However, how is this related to archery?

30-Dec-18
I believe posts like this is what separates this site from all the other and makes it better. Every one posting on here are Bowhunters......that's what it has to do with archery.

30-Dec-18
I struggled with the concept of suicide being condemned to hell. A very wise Pastor told me only the lord knows what is in a persons heart and what their last thoughts were. In my career choices I have dealt with many suicide situations as well a family and friends. Many have had the thoughts of suicide and why when no one cares or I am worthless. Everyone has to deal with this and it is different for each. Will keep you in my prayers Rob.

30-Dec-18
how is this related to archery??? In a lot of ways for me. I use archery and hunting as a physical , mental, and in someways emotional getaway.. I'm not religious so this is a huge get away from the trials of life. heads up and good luck Rob... Peace...

30-Dec-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
^x2. I too use time on the stand or in the boat as a solemn moment....especially watching the sunrise on a beautiful day. Oftentimes a great sunrise is better than shooting or catching something that day. I thank the good Lord for every day I wake up and twice for the sunrises I get to witness.

30-Dec-18
The suicide problem has become an epidemic. There are a lot of factors we can point to, but I personally believe the main one is that we have removed God from our society, and consequently there is no hope. The message of the Bible, and more specifically the gospel, is one of hope. (The gospel is called the “good news”). When the prevailing philosophy is based on a belief system that teaches there is no God then there is no hope, and tragically people, young ones in particular, take their own lives thinking that is the only way out. I believe it grieves God to see his creation take their lives into their hands and end them.

However, I also don’t believe that the Bible teaches that anyone who commits suicide is unequivocally destined for hell. If you look at the life of Samson he technically committed suicide, yet he is listed as a hero of faith in the New Testament book of Hebrews. However, there are other examples of suicide in the Bible such as Saul, Ahithophel, and Judas to name a few, where they clearly were not in right standing and most likely did end up in hell. (Judas without a doubt) Sadly, for many people whether it is death by suicide or natural causes they go to an eternity without God because they choose their own way. Suicide is just the final manifested symptom of a life without God.

That all said only God truly knows someone’s heart, but I also believe that most who have a relationship (not religion) with Jesus Christ would not take their life, but trust in the hope that He offers. Suicide is the ultimate example of not having hope. On the other hand my mom, who had a very deep relationship with Jesus, was so heartbroken over an issue in our family that she had confessed to family and friends that she wanted God to take her home due to the weariness from the grief that plagued her. A few weeks later she passed away in her sleep of a heart attack. She did not commit suicide, yet I believe the Lord knew how weary she was and granted her request to take her home. I believe He knew it was better for her to go than to stay, even though it caused those of us left behind a lot of sorrow. For a true believer in Christ I don’t believe that even suicide will prevent them from an eternity with God. I base this on the scripture that says “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

The Bible is a message of hope. If you don’t have this hope it is available to you and to everyone who will confess and believe in Jesus.

Here are some passages that I hope comfort you:

Isaiah 40:31 “but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit”

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”

And my personal favorite “…… it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged. 19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”

(My mom was actually studying that passage the night before she went to be with the Lord).

If you have a hope in Jesus Christ it will be an anchor during life’s toughest storms. In the end we cannot be sure how God judges every case of suicide, but I believe what the Bible says that the Judge of the whole earth will do what is right. (Genesis 18:25)

I pray that you can find encouragement from these words.

30-Dec-18
Well said Justin.

30-Dec-18
LB SHOOTER,

I think that is the dumbest thing I have read on here in a long time. A brother is reaching out for help, and that is all you have? What a shame!

30-Dec-18
Way to go Justin. Well said.

30-Dec-18
Wow. This stuff really brings out the religious freaks.. Sorry, but religion is not the answer for anything.. only thing more religion does is create more problems.

30-Dec-18
For who ?

30-Dec-18
I found out I have bipolar this past fall. Before I got it under control with medication and therapy, I had fleeting ideas of suicide. When you are feeling terrible and don't know why, it can seem like an option. However, a person always has to try to remember that the pain is fleeting. Mental illness is invisible, and most people hide it well. Inside, however, the pain can be overwhelming. I can say, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that if you, or someone you know, is suffering from a mental illness, please get help. You don't have to suffer. There is help out there. It's not easy, but life is worth living.

30-Dec-18
Assuming that's your actual name, and not a handle designed to be inflammatory, that's ironic coming from a guy named Jim Jones, but I 100% agree with you. Religion is not the answer. I addressed that in my post.

30-Dec-18
From a practical approach....religion can be a tool to use for folks who are coping with tough times....a darn good tool too IMO. It opens up the doors (and eyes/ears) to things we may not have considered or understood before. Is it the answer....that is in the eyes of those going thru tough times and those trying to help. To say it's not the answer only limits your tools or options.

30-Dec-18
I am not unsympathetic to his situation, as I have said I have had friends do this dirty deed. The OP needs to go to a professional for help not a board of bowhunters, obviously he is truely affected by this. This is not the place for it, I am sorry, mental illness is not something that gets solved on a bowhunting web site. Bulelk1, go seek out a pastor of a doctor and get the help that you are looking for, don't let it eat at you. And for the comments of a few towards me I have two words for you, which I don't think I need to mention, you all are mind readers and I'm sure you can think of them if you focus.

30-Dec-18
I am not unsympathetic to his situation, as I have said I have had friends do this dirty deed. The OP needs to go to a professional for help not a board of bowhunters, obviously he is truely affected by this. This is not the place for it, I am sorry, mental illness is not something that gets solved on a bowhunting web site. Bulelk1, go seek out a pastor of a doctor and get the help that you are looking for, don't let it eat at you. And for the comments of a few towards me I have two words for you, which I don't think I need to mention, you all are mind readers and I'm sure you can think of them if you focus.

30-Dec-18
Robb, I have dealt with more suicides than I can count as part of my job and I have seen the devastating affect that it has, but until someone close to you commits suicide such as a family member or a friend you can never empathize with someone. Close friends of ours had a son that committed suicide and it was very hard for my family to deal with. I can only tell you my personal experience of putting my faith in Jesus Christ and leaning on him and asking him for The Holy Spirit to give us and his family comfort in a time when nothing else seems to make sense. This isn't religion. Religion is something manmade. I will pray that The Holy Spirit gives you that comfort. Rob

30-Dec-18
We live in a world of social media, but loneliness is epidemic. Too busy talking or texting to listen I guess. In our vanity we scoff at the possibility of a creator and now our society is paying the price. Thankfully we are too self-absorbed to know it. I play music a couple times a month at nursing homes and always come back happy after talking with people who have lived life, raised their kids, and are content with meeting their maker. Played today and chatted with a couple married 72 years as teens. Their only wish, to die together so they can enter heaven together. They told me they will be young again, and he said she was a “real looker.” I hope they get their wish. Both are 99, but very spry so I think they have a while to go.

30-Dec-18
My condolences to Robb and those who suffer directly or indirectly with depression and suicide. In times like these, I'm reminded that humankind are creatures of dust and Spirit governed by reason. And while pain and sorrow interlope occasionally in our lives, we are not meant to live in despondency and hopelessness. Ever. That is not a platitude but a place to reason oneself back to when estranged from the peace of the Lord.

And for those who doubt the role God has in our lives, consider that this is a wholly rational world and, if God exists, He will never allow anyone to prosper in spirit without Him.

I guess what I am trying to say is if a person finds himself suicidal, that is a call to tend to his "dust" and his spirit. It takes deliberate action in attacking hopelessness as an illegitimate construct, an enemy - not a condition of life. There are solid results of people treating depression with dietary improvements and exercise. Likewise, people have overcome crushing despondency by living with God's word every day.

30-Dec-18
Owl... Did the 1000’s of Priests Molest and Rapes boys for decades to the Word of God? And continue to Cover up and hide these same “ Men of God”, did God tell the Church to continue to Hide these Rapists and Child Molesters and protect them?

Religion is just a crutch and excuse for the weak and corrupt...

30-Dec-18
Jim Jones, come from Guyana by chance? ;- ) Not sure how religion wronged you and I have little faith in organized churches and religion. I have witnessed many corrupt men who use God as a cover. But that does not stop me from believing in God. Man is corrupt not God. My belief. Not sure why you are so attacking here. As per why someone would come on this site. Because he or she is seeking help, why begrudge them that. It may be their fist step.

31-Dec-18
JJ, It’s the flesh that betrays humankind, not the Word. But you know that.

If you want to debate theology, start a thread on the CF. I’ll participate happily. For this thread, I suggest we stay on topic.

31-Dec-18
Well, my heck----->

As many of you know, I only get on the internet once a day in the early AM.

LB-Pete--thanks for your honest opinion and for your suggestions. I sincerely want to apologize to you if I offended you.

JimJones ~~ not really sure how your- Hiding Sex Acts- has any value but please continue your 'Research' on that topic.

As time passes so does one's pain and mental fatigue.

I am very thankful to you all for sharing your voice and for the PM's/Texts and these Post's. I'm starting to realize that Suicide is more prevalent in other people's lives than I ever knew.

I truly believe in our constitution and our Freedom of Speech rights, no offense taken.

Good luck, Robb

10-Feb-19
I usually don't get involved in these type threads, but it's been bothering me all day, and remember reading this thread a while back so wanted to get it off my chest.... Learned this morning, a buddy of mine committed suicide yesterday... Don't know the details but was told he shot himself... Sent his brother a condolences text, didn't receive a reply... Can't get him out of my mine... Used to deer hunt with him... He was kind of a mentor to me, when I was a teenager and worked at an archery shop, a group of them kinda took me under their wing and his man I got close to... Had a lot of fun with him and good memories I'll never forget... Those guys were about 10 years older and learned a lot from them all, but will always remember some of the stuff he did and said... I knew him for over 40 years and would see him periodically and we always had a good chat... Last time we hunted together was probably about a half a dozen years or so ago but only for a couple hours during gun season, but hadn't seen him in probably close to a year and knew he was having health issues, but don't know how serious... Seen and chatted with his brother a couple weeks ago and ask how he was doing, he told me fine, so I was shocked today when I heard the news... Still messing with me...

10-Feb-19
No part of it is good. I'm sorry for your loss

11-Feb-19
Having belief in Jesus Christ in peoples lives will go a long way to reduce the probability of attempting or even thinking about suicide. Believe in Jesus, and live for him, and you will find love, not rejection or loneliness. You will want to live...

11-Feb-19
So very Sorry to read that this Early AM Z---

Prayers and strength to Ya brother

Keep the Faith, Robb

11-Feb-19
yep been many years ago a buddy of mine sucked on a 12 gauge & I know exactly how you feel it's hard to get closure. ya just can't get the iff only or what iff or why out of your head I feel for ya brother

11-Feb-19
you are in my prayers.

11-Feb-19
This is always so sad to hear, you guys going through this are in my prayers, as are the families!

God Bless!

11-Feb-19
So sorry to hear that Z. Suicide is tough to understand for those left behind. Your friend’s family will be in my prayers. God bless.

11-Feb-19
Dang! Always tough to hear these things and equally hard to comprehend and understand. Sorry for your loss.

11-Feb-19
Robb, being in law enforcement, I saw suicide more times than I wanted to deal with and, always wondered why people were so weak that they couldn't talk themselves out of it or, seek help. After talking to a few that survived this, I learned that they do not see an out or, in their minds, there is no alternative. And, most said, that someone talking to them would just delay them trying. So, talking to them would definitely help but, they will need to get counseling or, some other form of support.

11-Feb-19
Zbone: I am pretty sure you will never fully forget this. Sixteen years ago my brother-in-law took his 30-06 out behind a shed and shot himself in the chest. He obviously put some pre thought in to this as he could not reach the trigger with the gun pointed at him. So he rigged a way to do this. He was dealing with some health issues that were really not life threatening so I don think health played into this. I do believe that his state of mind was altered by some medication he was taking. A doctor had given him steroids for a pinched nerve. He told the doctor that he did not think he should take them because when his mother had taken steroids it made her do crazy things. The doctor insisted so he took them.

I knew he was not himself but never dreamed that he would take his own life. He was a great person that would do anything to help anyone. I believe that somehow he felt he was doing the right thing for my sister. I have often thought what could I have done or should have done to prevent this and truly believe that there was nothing I could have done. At this point I choose to remember him a caring person that was more of a brother to me than a brother-in-law. Remember you friend for all the good in him and the good times you had.

17-Feb-19
Thanks Garth as that makes a lot of sense.

I can only image what you guys in LE see and experience daily.

Keep the Faith, Robb

17-Feb-19
You don't know me, but I was a cop for 37 years. I've seen too much. Walking into a kitchen while a young mans brains are still dripping off the ceiling does something to you. I've held so many men and women in my arms while shook with sobs. I've had to cut my own friends down from hangings. They all suffered from despair, hopelessness, a belief in the end there was no other way out.

There are any number of books and resources on the subject, but in the end we have to move on and accept that we seldom can do more than be there for people who are hurting and try to assist them through the dark times. Best of luck to you.

Another Vet

17-Feb-19
suicide is an epidemic in the modern world , no one knows why.

• Sitka Gear