Jaquomo 31-Dec-18
Buffalo1 31-Dec-18
kentuckbowhnter 31-Dec-18
Jaquomo 01-Jan-19
Thornton 01-Jan-19
JRW 02-Jan-19
Screwball 02-Jan-19
29-Dec-18
OK, I know there have been threads on this, but I am still trying to gather information as well as opinions.

The Tennessee WRA has found CWD in 13 out of 2700 deer tested. The counties I hunt are in the CWD 'zone.' The TWRA has extended our season a few weeks and every deer killed here must be tested by the TWRA. We took one for testing today.

My concern is eating the deer. Maybe I am paranoid, but I am also cautious with what I feed myself and kids. I know (from what I've read) that no verifiable cases of deer to human CWD has been verified. I have deer in my freezer now that wasn't tested and am hesitant to eat it. The TWRA game warden said he wouldn't eat the meat, just to be safe.

The way it works now is, they will test your deer, you can then butcher it or take to a processor. In 4 to 8 weeks they will notify you if the deer tests positive for CWD. Of course there seems to be a lot of opinions on the internet and the TN Facebook pages. Some say throw it out, others say they are eating it.

I know a lot of you may live in WI or other high-risk areas that have had confirmed CWD cases for years. Are you eating deer without getting it tested? Do you get it tested and THEN eat it? Just wondering what you guys are doing.

And I apologize if this has been beaten to death on the Bowsite, as I have not been here as often as I once was.

Thanks!

29-Dec-18
I only eat tested venison. Testing is not 100 accurate. Therefore, once tested and negative, I only feed it to consenting and informed adults. Simply a responsible precaution until more is learned.

29-Dec-18
Nobody I know here in the original N. CO "hot zone" gets their deer or elk tested anymore. Tens of thousands of people have presumably been eating infected animals for over 50 years here with no ill effects. And that assumes it just miraculously appeared one day in 1968, rather than being endemic in the wild for a looong time, as many believe. The incidence rate of CJDv (the human version of CWD) in our county is lower than the national average.

29-Dec-18
Well JTV, hundreds of people have died from getting e-coli from things like burger and yet we still eat it. I never consider CWD when eating game meat.

29-Dec-18
Isn't it interesting that it hasn't made the jump to bighorn sheep, pronghorns, or domestic cattle, all of which share close proximity, forage, prion infected soil, infected saliva on mineral blocks and natural licks, etc...?

More people have died from eating Romaine lettuce just this year than from eating CWD infected meat since it was "discovered" 50 years ago.

29-Dec-18
Kurt do you have access to cooler/freezer where you could place meat temporarily to await test results before processing.

There are 11 counties in northern MS who are within about 50 mi of the TN/MS border who have gone into testing mode as a result of the CWD discovery in TN. BUILD THE WALL!!

I had a gastro-intestinal dr friend who told me he would not eat the meat.

29-Dec-18
Lots of unknowns, and many differing opinions as to whether or not the meat is safe.

Buffalo1, I have a deer I shot earlier in the season before TWRA made this announcement and before the public was aware of CWD-positive deer in the counties I hunt. My deer from earlier in the season was already processed, and I have eaten some of it. It can't be tested once processed. Today I took a deer to the TWRA-mandated check station where they removed the glands from the neck. They say it will take 4 to 8+ weeks for results. So I have an untested deer in my freezer. The TWRA officer said he personally would not eat any (untested) deer from the affected counties, just to be safe. Why did your gastro friend say he would not eat the deer? And PS....I think the infected animals migrated north to TN...build the wall! :-)

29-Dec-18
I don't routinely hunt CWD positive areas, but when I do I have the animal tested before eating. 4 to 8 weeks seems like a really long time. Wyoming turned my last whitetail around in 2 or 3 weeks.

29-Dec-18
Here's one top think about. You're out turkey hunting and sit on some soil that happens to have CWD prions in it. You get said soil on your hands and put a dip of tobacco in your mouth. Prions are now in your system. Uh oh..........

29-Dec-18

blackbear62's Link
I understand your thoughts on cwd, since I live in the hot zone in Michigan. They have told us 1 in 60 deer are positive. I found a good article by Dr. James Kroll on cwd. But even they don't have answers. https://www.cwdfacts.org/current-scientific-knowledge-about-cwd/

29-Dec-18
I always wonder why people keep asking these questions. You will not find a straight answer. The DNR will say don't eat it to CYA. The decision is yours until god forbid they find a case of crossover or show positively that it will not cross. Smoke Em if ya got Em !

29-Dec-18
Don't eat the brains, spinal chord matter, or spinal fluid of the deer if you are concerned, that is the area the disease affects. That is one of the reasons they can't test for it in already butchered meat. If it was in the meat they could still test for it. DANNY

29-Dec-18
Or, any lymphatic glands, tissue or ducts.

29-Dec-18
You have to make your own decision. Read all you can and decide. All who won't eat a deer should not be hunting them. Also if they throw a deer away they should be charged with wasting a natural resource.

29-Dec-18
JTV, I don't fully trust a guy with no bad habits :-)

In regards to CWD, we have had some cases in Texas also, but I'm not getting deer tested, nor am I worried about it. I believe what Lou said is the common sense approach to the situation. If nobody's "caught" it in CO. , I ain't likely to either.

29-Dec-18
It’s also in the meat

29-Dec-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
You want to see a CWD hot zone? Here ya go.

I took a hike about a mile from my house this afternoon, up and around the CSU ‘deer pens’ right in the foothills.

I could see Bighorn sheep, a few elk and a moose within the confines of the testing area.

I also saw about 25 mule deer bouncing around the trail I was on (not part of the CSU testing area)

29-Dec-18
How do any of the hunters for the hungry or other venison donation places handle this situation? Are you not allowed to donate a deer from a specific zone? Do they test all animals? Have some of these programs disappeared because of CWD concerns? I would think states would intervene if there was a public health concern.

29-Dec-18
Kurt,

The dr. gave no explanation why he would not eat CWD meat. I know him very well and trust his word. He is my gastro dr.

29-Dec-18
I heard CWD infected venison puts "lead in your pencil"...lol. I don`t even give it a second thought....nor do I have deer tested. I have ZERO faith that we are/have been told the truth about CWD. I`ll make my own judgement as to what venison is acceptable to consume.

29-Dec-18
My doctor doesn't eat meat of any kind. But she eats lettuce and cantaloupe, both proven killers. Go figure...

29-Dec-18
Great points Jaq. I was just talking to my dad about this, my boys killed two deer in an area known to have it.

The whole current situation is laughable. I wasnt aware it had been around for so long until speaking with him and confirming on this thread again.

Fake news! Ha:)

29-Dec-18
If you have spare time listen to Joe Rogan's podcast #1154 on cwd. Like Franklin, I also don't have faith we've been told the whole truth. But it sure is fun to debate! They say there is actually different strains of CWD out there, that react differently. One strain that can now jump the species barrier - they gave cwd to a lab rat. One other example of transfer would be hauling infected hay all across the US and feeding it to livestock. Are we supposed to stop eating beef ! You could be ingesting cwd. Cripes it's Doom and Gloom depending on what you read!

29-Dec-18
Yeah. Thats what everyone needs to do. Listen to a comedian talk about CWD.

Now thats funny!

29-Dec-18
Lol ! In all seriousness he interviews a scientist on cwd

29-Dec-18
Gasp! A scientist!

Maybe he should make a trip to CSU and tour the deer pens and get some real history

29-Dec-18
If getting test results after commercially processed, don't bother eating deer you kill positive or not. The knives, saws and grinders have to be heated far beyond the point of being usable again to kill a prion.

If CWD is in your area. It's likely they have processed a few. I live in the original hot spot and gave up worrying about it years ago. Ecoli, Lysteria, etc, etc show up in grocery stores all the time and I know very few people who don't buy groceries.

Those things cause death and illness for sure. CWD has caused zero known deaths or illnesses in humans. I'll worry when it happens for the first time.

30-Dec-18
No I didn't hear that Dirk, just listened to half of the podcast while working, was mostly doom and gloom, if that's the message there's no doubt we'll be losing hunter numbers.

30-Dec-18
I narrowly escaped acid rain and killer bees, this CWD better bring a little more heat if it wants to take me down.

30-Dec-18
Deer eat agricultural crops and the left over grains every day that have been coated in Glyphosate and 2, 4D. If that ain't enough to concern you to stop eating venison I really don't see then the concern for CWD

30-Dec-18
I suggest you Google Larry Rea's article in the Commercial Appeal or my news release on this site. We both deal that very issue.

30-Dec-18
The British government claimed that eating BSE infected beef was fine, no chance that people could become infected, until it became evident that they were wrong....

Food for thought.

30-Dec-18
I live in the middle of Arkansas's hot spot. In fact the first case of CWD here was discovered about 10 miles from the house. There is no doubt in my mind it came in with those stupid elk they imported back in the 80's, but that's another story. We don't test the deer, I just plain don't worry about it. Not going to say that is the best way, but I really have no concerns at this point.

A few years ago, my doctor, (who is a big bow hunter as well as a fine physician), told me to eat more wild game except for pigs, just shoot them and let them lay he said due to brucellosis. Now if I could just get him to write a prescription the game wardens would honor. ;)

30-Dec-18
screwball X 10,000. If it concerns you, quit killing them. Don't kill one and then ask the dang question. Don't hunt anymore. Take up golf or go tailgating on Saturday instead of hunting. But, quit shooting the dang things. Or, you could use your nugget for something besides a hat rack. As pointed out above, the meat does not posses the prions. Learn how to butcher your own and stop worrying about it.

30-Dec-18
My heart surgeons told me last year, you have more risk from the anti biotics in beef than you have from deer..... He said eat deer and raise your own beef,,, ha ha

30-Dec-18
WV Mountaineer,

I'll accept anyone's decision to Personally eat venison that may be CWD positive. Another matter giving CWD infected meat to others without them being aware, or to children in any circumstance.

Having said that....

Your assertion that CWD prions does not exist is muscle tissue is plain and simply completely Wrong!

Please don't continue to spread false imformation on such an important topic.

30-Dec-18
A couple years ago they found CWD in deer in the neighboring county. I haven't read whether it was found here yet or not. Based on what I've read, I'll keep eating the meat and feeding it to my kids. I don't test and probably never will unless it becomes a rule. I'm more worried about that new asian tick they say has come into the US and is rapidly multiplying and the lyme's epidemic already here. Just reason to get naked and have my wife "check me for ticks."

30-Dec-18
Prions is in the muscle meat as well

Look it up

31-Dec-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
A little CWD dont scare me

31-Dec-18
NEWS SIDE-Special Report

CWD Found in TN-What is it?

In the late 1960’s Chronic Wasting Disease-CWD, was found in a small herd of penned elk at the University of Wyoming. The elk came from pens at Colorado State University in Ft. Collins. They had been live-trapped in the Colorado Mountains. That marked the discovery of CWD. CWD is a prion borne disease, similar to Mad Cow Disease in cattle and Scrapies in sheep. At present, if affects only cervidae-members of the deer family including whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, moose, reindeer and others. There is no evidence it can be transmitted to humans or any other species. Recently it was discovered in seven deer in Fayette and Hardeman Counties. Three other cases are suspect. In response to this discovery, the TFWC-the governing body of the TWRA, activated their emergency response plan. This plan include expanding the deer season in three counties-Fayette, Hardeman and McNairy. This will allow deer hunting through January 31, 2019. The goal is to gather more deer for testing. Also put in place was the prohibition of all feeding of wildlife except for bird feeders within 100-feet of any home and other normal agricultural practices. In other words, it is now illegal to feed wildlife. Symptoms may be delayed for some time before being manifest. They include apparent confusion in the animal and severe emaciation. It is almost 100% fatal to deer. To date, there is no evidence it can be spread to humans or any other animals. Obviously, common sense dictates some precautions should be taken. Do not eat or handle any deer that appears sick. I suggest you kill it if possible-regardless of sex-and immediately call a game warden. Do not handle the animal. If you cannot kill it, notify a game warden immediately and report the animal. TWRA Director, Ed Carter said, “…finding that many infected deer at once is unprecedented. Finding such a large number of infected deer in indicative that CWD has likely been present in the area for a long time, perhaps years.” It is my opinion, one I have made public for years, that CWD has always been present in significant populations of cervids. I do not believe we discovered CWD. I believe we discovered the test for it. There is no cause for panic, no reason to stop hunting, no reason to stop eating deer meat. Simply apply some common sense and immediately, stop all supplemental feeding of wildlife. I have killed five deer this year. All appeared healthy, all went into freezers. However, for many years, I have worn shoulder-length gloves in field dressing deer. I also do all my own meat processing and know what I am eating. I eat a lot of deer meat, have for years. Just use some common sense. CWD has been officially found in TN. In all probability, it has always been here. Our TFWC is taking some logical and appropriate action. In the future, I would hope to see a tightening of supplemental feeding laws and a return of check stations on weekends in all counties. That will not eliminate CWD from our wild deer population. It may have some limited impact on the spread. But it will provide more accurate data. Yes, CWD is in TN. Probably, it always has been. It is not a cause for panic or to stop hunting and eating deer meat. ###

31-Dec-18
You all posted lots of good information and opinions, thanks! I plan to eat my deer, just as I have for many years. It just seems that there is no human effects yet...the YET being the big unknown. Hopefully more studies, information and science will be forthcoming in the years to come. No doubt in my mind there will be a lot more focus on CWD as it seems to be spreading. I'll be keeping an eye on any new information.

Bowriter...I have read a lot of your articles, good stuff! Are you aware (or is it a fact?) that all of the deer meat donated to the Hunter's for the Hungry in Hardeman County was thrown away? That would be an interesting article, perhaps.

31-Dec-18
walking buffalo, what I’ve read implies that the only way for it get into the meat is to contaminate that meat with it. The only way I understand to do that is by grinding the lymph system. If there’s other data ssaying other wise, please share it so I can stop spreading lies.

31-Dec-18
Its a Big HYPE! I live in the heart of here in WI and all's the DNR has done is RUIN our deer season! OVER KILLED deer for no reason! CWD is mother natures way of handling over population of deer! When humans get involved we SCREW things up! Its a MONEY making deal for your state! Its been here forever! I am 70 yrs. old have eaten deer my complete life, by the way I've eaten 5 positive and I am NOT GLOWING GREEN or anything like that! Just hunt and enjoy it! If your afraid of cwd. then don't hunt!

31-Dec-18
Kurt, you are correct that "yet" is the operative scare tactic wherever is is discovered next. Think about this: The potential for deer-to-human transmission has been thoroughly studied for fifty years. FIFTY YEARS! Every study comes up with the same result. Is there any other product safety concern that has been studied for half a century, with 100% consensus on the results, where people are still panic-stricken over the what-if?

Yet hunters still hunt under the threat of poisonous snakes, West Nile, various tick-borne illnesses, tree stand falls, etc.. and we don't see widespread panic and sensationalist alarm over these proven threats.

This is not to say that the disease might not mutate someday, just as one could be hit and killed by a drunk driver while taking a deer to the testing station. But if we spend our lives in a bunker worrying about remote things that "could" happen, we would never leave that bunker.

31-Dec-18
No cure, gestation period of 18 to 24 months?? Game Commissions need to spend "our" money finding out if we can in fact eat it with no consequences. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. Like most, I'm sure I've already eaten infected meat, born, raised and still hunt in Mcnairy County, Tn. They say once it's on the land it stays on it. It can take up to 2yrs to visibly tell if an animal is infected, and most folks I know always have killed sick/injured deer to put them out of their misery. Tell us if we can eat it, monitor it through check stations if needed and let Mother Nature carry on.

31-Dec-18
Jaquomo X100- I personally, have been keeping an eye on CWD since 1970. The first time a human being gets it, I'll jump on it like Stick and String on a crossbow.

31-Dec-18
I wish all the people from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Missouri, and Michigan that I saw while elk hunting in CO last year, felt as leery of the disease as some on here do. Be a lot more room to roam if that were the case.

31-Dec-18
Oh Lord, how in the world have taxidermists NEVER contracted it sawing off thousands and thousands of skull plates with gooey brain matter flying everywhere. And then thousands and thousands of capes being skinned off and their poor little fingers in waxy tear ducts and prying out throat and lymph material from detached skulls???

31-Dec-18
Walking buffalo, I’m still waiting.

31-Dec-18
I live in the center of the Wisconsin CWD zone. I have not had deer tested lately. I did get them tested when the DNR had easy testing at the registration stations.

I also hunt Kansas but not in a CWD zone.

I eat a lot of venison.

BUT.... I would not eat a deer that tested positive. The facts are pretty clear and indisputable... It is unlikely that the prions can cross the barrier. But it is not impossible. Each person has to decide for themselves how they manage that nonzero risk.

31-Dec-18
I like my CWD with salt, pepper and garlic. Maybe a tumbler full of brandy on the side

31-Dec-18
Leading causes of death in the United States... Heart disease: 635,260 Cancer: 598,038 Accidents (unintentional injuries): 161,374 Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 154,596 Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 142,142 Alzheimer’s disease: 116,103 Diabetes: 80,058 Influenza and pneumonia: 51,537 Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,046 Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,965

That food pyramid the govt has pushed for decades will kill you and millions of others before CWD ever kills one person.

31-Dec-18

Pyrannah's Link
WV here is a quick link i found from google..

I had seen it somewhere else first time.. maybe cdc or something, can't remember..

31-Dec-18
Only thing that scares me about cwd is how the DNR reacts to it.

31-Dec-18
Apauls,amen.

31-Dec-18
Joe Bacon is a friggin' idiot. Kip Adams is right there with him. I have news for them - IT'S ALREADY IN INDIANA. They just havent tested a large enough sample yet. SMH....

31-Dec-18

Buffalo1's Link
Here is an interesting paper I came across that I found most interesting. You may have interest in reading.

31-Dec-18
millions of pounds of deer meat from cwd zones has been eaten for decades if not centuries. this is all hype just like the Y2K frenzy was so they could get billions spent on computers. now they are trying to get a bunch of money spent on a problem that does not exist. there is zero evidence throughout all research that any heard of big game animals have seen any long term effect from cwd.

01-Jan-19
Buffalo, that is a great document. Thanks for posting. Everyone concerned about CWD should read it.

01-Jan-19
CWD has been on this earth longer than white man has been hunting North America. If you're going to kill healthy looking animals and discard them because your afraid they might have a disease not proven to affect humans, then stop hunting. I see this as an excuse for people to commit wanton waste violations.

02-Jan-19
"I know a lot of you may live in WI or other high-risk areas that have had confirmed CWD cases for years. Are you eating deer without getting it tested?"

I've been hunting WI's CWD zone since long before they first found CWD in 2002. What you posted above is what I (and probably most hunters in that area) do. Honestly, the biggest thing you have to worry about is your DNR trying to "save the herd" by exterminating it like they tried (and to some degree are still trying) in IL and WI.

02-Jan-19
Lived and hunted ate deer and elk from out west south and lots from WI. Never tested.

• Sitka Gear