deerslayer 31-Dec-18
wildwilderness 31-Dec-18
x-man 31-Dec-18
WV Mountaineer 31-Dec-18
deerslayer 31-Dec-18
Ucsdryder 31-Dec-18
WV Mountaineer 31-Dec-18
29-Dec-18
I've decided it's time to change my arrows this coming year. I have had good luck with the ones I'm currently shooting, but for a laundry list of reasons it's time to change (one being they don't make my arrow any more). I was dead set on getting some FMJ's, but am pretty hard on my arrows, and don't want to get one bent only to figure it out at the wrong time.

I currently shoot a 550 grain 30" micro diameter arrow. (125 gr BH and 50 gr outsert) I want to stick with a heavier arrow, but am a little out of the loop on the latest and greatest as I have been shooting the same arrow for 6 years. I've heard good things about VAP's and wouldn't mind going with Easton either, just not the FMJ's.

Not too worried about cost, just want a heavy, small diameter carbon that can take a lot of abuse. I also want the regular style insert. (Used outserts on my current arrows and found they're too much hassle) What say you fellas?

29-Dec-18
Easton Axis

29-Dec-18
Best all around would be 5mm Easton Axis. Add in the 50/75 brass insert to get the weight you want.

29-Dec-18
I’ll 3rd that. I really like mine. I have the pro series. No complaints yet.

29-Dec-18

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
I used FMG’s for season then went to the Axis. A short footing made from either a 2016 or 2018 aluminum shaft turns a very, very good arrow into a nearly indestructible arrow. The footing addresses the inherent weakness of the HIT insert. And I don’t like outserts. Unnecessary complications.

29-Dec-18
Shot 5mm axis this year, great arrow. I think they check all your boxes.

29-Dec-18
Easton axis

29-Dec-18

Buglmin's embedded Photo
Buglmin's embedded Photo
Sirius Orion shafts with the Ethics Archery outserts. Yiu can cut the outserts down to the weight you want. I'm shooting the 400 spine and will finish close to 460 grains. The 350 spine and the 300 spine are a heavier gpi. They are made with a cross weave and are tougher then the Easton Axis.

29-Dec-18
Can you buy regular style inserts (brass) for the Easton Axis 5mm? I want the insert to cover the outside edge of the tip of the arrow, and be flush with the arrow diameter.

One of my complaints with outserts is that the edge catches on targets and even with good glue they have a tendency to pull off after a while due to the constant strain on them from pulling them from targets.

29-Dec-18
Dang, and here I thought a good set of river cane shafts were gonna be the ticket >>>————>

29-Dec-18
I use the Easton Broadheads adapter rings on the 5mm Axis. Covers the end of the shaft to give the protection you are looking for.

29-Dec-18
Victory Vaps TKO lo torque, or their new Xtorsion series with blended carbon and stainless steel fibers.

29-Dec-18
I think Black Eagle makes a microdiameter carbon.

+1 for aluminum footings and some kind of nock bushing...

But overall, the toughest arrows I've come across are Arrowdynamics Trad Lites. With a glued-in nock adapter, I've only found one way to kill them...

29-Dec-18

GF's embedded Photo
DAMN!
GF's embedded Photo
DAMN!

29-Dec-18

GF's embedded Photo
I guess that'd be double-damn!
GF's embedded Photo
I guess that'd be double-damn!
Sorry for the dupe post...

29-Dec-18
GF, that’s what I’ve been shooting for the last couple of years and they are awesome!

29-Dec-18
gt hunter xt @30inches 100gr head 50gr insert gives me 471gr arrow. I think it could suit you well to get you close to 500gr arrow. These are 300 spine. I don't know if gt offers a micro diameter shaft or not, if they do that would be golden for what you are asking. Jeff

29-Dec-18
I've had great luck with Easton Epics, but they dont make them anymore so I have a few left then moving onto the Aftermath. Goid shafts at a good price point.

30-Dec-18
If you're having outserts work loose and pull free, you're not prepping that shaft right or your not using the right glue. I've got some Bloodsport and Pierce shafts that are over two years old and I've never lost an outsert.

Ethics Archery recommends not using glue on their sleeve part, so you can unscrew the head and slip the sleeve off in case you have to pull the arrow out of a board or something. The shaft is lightly sanded enough for the sleeve to slip on snug and the tip holds the sleeve in place. Interesting concept that makes a good foc shaft.

30-Dec-18
I know that you're not a fan of outserts, but I'd strongly suggest you consider the DaySix arrows. You get a micro diameter full carbon arrow, hard hitting, very durable (more so than anything else that I have shot. Otherwise I would fall back to FMJ's, which would be my second choice.

30-Dec-18
Go with the gold tip pro hunters and use the brass 50 grain insert. You can even add more weight to the back of that if you want to get to the weight you like. Those arrows are tough as hell. If not check out the kinetic chaos as well. A buddy shoots them and they are a solid arrow

30-Dec-18
Have shot axis since they came out. Love them. No plans to switch.

30-Dec-18
I was using Bloodsport (outserts) tried multiple glues, and still had issues. Even when they don't come off they're a pain when shooting a bag target. The edge always catches and I have to work them out carefully. I have never heard of a footing before, but it seems they would cause a similar issue. I also don't like how difficult I found outserts to be in trying to get them on with a perfect broadhead spin. I'm guessing the Easton Broadheads adapter rings would also have the lip/edge that I don't want.

Do they make regular style brass inserts for the Axis?

30-Dec-18
Justin, I use the Beman ICS shafts and have footed a few with a 2218. I think. Not sure now but, I'm pretty sure that is the shaft size of the footing. Don't hold me to that. I used hot melt and glued the aluminum footing flush with the end of the inserts. I make them 1.5 inches long. I use a 27" 340 spined shaft and with the regular inserts they weigh about 440 grains with a 125 grain head. With 75 grain inserts, you'd be at your old arrow weight with the length shaft you require.

I don't know why so few people shoot these shafts. Maybe my going strictly back to trad for 8 years caused me to miss something about them. But, since deciding to hunt some with a compound again, this is all I have shot. They do very well for me. I don't shoot them into a bag target but, have had little trouble getting them out of a Rinehart octagon target. They seem to me to be identical with the Easton Axis Shafts in GPI per spine.

With all that said, I decided not to hunt with them as the plain shaft seemed plenty to me. However, Id like to get a 500 grain arrow setup since starting to go back out west again. So, I'll likely make me up a couple dozen this winter and re-sight my bow set up for them. I wish I could give you a for sure answer but, from what I've seen, I wouldn't hesitate to use the shafts and, I'm coming to the opinion all carbon hunting shafts should wear a footing. Especially with that much arrow weight coming out of a compound bow.

Good luck and God Bless

31-Dec-18
I shoot Beman ICS Hunters and GT Hunter XTs. They are both great shafts at a reasonable price. If you want them to be over 500 grains though you will have to get heavy inserts and remember you may have to go to a stiffer spine to do so. Good luck and have fun building a new arrow. There are a lot of good choices out there.

31-Dec-18
Also remember that a footing longer then about an inch is going to start stiffening the spine of your arrow. With your draw length, and a 340 spine, I’d go at least 2 inch footings.

31-Dec-18
DaySix arrows are extremely tough and durable in a micro diameter......I’ve been impressed with there weight/durability combo all year. They are also very consistent on straightness, something you can’t always say about other shafts!

31-Dec-18
Can you explain a footing and the purpose of it? It sounds like it does the same thing as an outsert, and just contributes to FOC.?

31-Dec-18
A footing is not an outsert. It just protects the the shaft and the true insert area, will add to FOC. You don’t have to worry as much lining the Broadheads up to spin since the HIT insert is very good at that.

31-Dec-18
Yes, footings can catch on a tight bag target. Yes you can get brass inserts for the Axis shafts, which may be among the smallest diameter shafts you'll find with inserts.

When my son was about 14 I bought some axis shafts for him and footed them with about 8" of aluminum arrow shaft. That gave a nice solid front end with the added weight I wanted and allowed me to use 100 grain heads for a larger variety of heads to choose from. Plus they never went more than 6" inside our Morrell bag targets. They looked dumb, but they sure shot well for him.

31-Dec-18
A footing is a piece of properly sized Aluminum shaft, cut to a specified length, that slides over the arrow and protects the insert and the end of the arrow. I use hot melt to put it in place. And, while I believe FOC has benefits out of a trad bows shooting light carbon arrows, I would't do it just for that. I'd do it to improve the integrity of the arrow, the insert, and the joint of where those meet. When you start pumping 500 grain arrows at 240 FPS or better, you are essentially shooting a log.

Within practical purposes, there are only two things that will stop a heavy arrow propelled that fast or faster from busting through bone. That is your broad head and/or your arrow insert and tip. I'll leave the broad head decision to you. But, by footing the tip of the arrow and insert, you just about ensure that arrow integrity will not be a reason for failure.

Look up Sapcut on here. He is a whiz at knowing exactly what size aluminum you need for the carbon you are shooting.

31-Dec-18
At my DW and DL I'm pushing my 545 gr arrow around 285ish. I call it Thor's hammer! Shooting the Bloodsports with the outsert I've never had an issue with arrow integrity. I've just grown very tired of replacing outserts and the difficulty of trying to get them to spin well. With my KE coupled with the small shaft size I really want to stay away from anything with an outside edge.

31-Dec-18
Deerslayer the Easton axis 260 with 50 grain insert and a bar adapter will treat you right. It’s the exact arrow I shoot at 276fps and 550 grains.

31-Dec-18
You long armed fellas are lucky in that it really increases the energy delivered to the arrow.

• Sitka Gear