c3 08-Jan-19
c3 08-Jan-19
elkmtngear 08-Jan-19
Heat 08-Jan-19
StickFlicker 08-Jan-19
c3 08-Jan-19
BULELK1 09-Jan-19
01-Jan-19
Heading down to Kingman for the hunter ed class Sat and wanted to spend a few days after scouting around before I head home. I'm particularly looking to see the lay of the land around the 15's, 10, 9 and 7w?

Any suggestions on cool places to look for bulls this time of year between Kingman, Flagstaff and up toward Kanab, UT would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pete

01-Jan-19

03-Jan-19
I would transport down to Camp Navajo and see elk all along I-40 and then up and over going North on 89.

Not to many ever seen going over the Kaibab into Fredonia...…..be sure and stop @ Muley Crazy Mag. just over the border from Fredonia into Kanab, west side going north.

Travel safe,

Good luck, Robb

03-Jan-19
All you will see is snow probably. -8 at the Grand Canyon this morn.

03-Jan-19
I suspect Robb meant the Interstate 40. If you were to take the road that goes from Williams to the Park Entrance, you might see some elk (Highway 64). Same with the Highway 180 back to Flagstaff or the Highway 64 from the Park towards 89 (E Rim Dr or Navahopi Rd). The weather has been wet and cold for AZ standards. Be sure you are prepared if you get stuck or get in some other bind.

03-Jan-19
I will see you in Kingman Pete!

03-Jan-19
Looking forward to it Z !!!

Thanks for the tips guys. If it's too crappy I'll head over toward 23s and go look for deer :)

Cheers, Pete

03-Jan-19
Snow over here too. Maybe not so much snow, but lots of mud.

Terry

04-Jan-19
Ooops!!

Fat finger fudge!

Good luck, Robb

04-Jan-19
hunt deer while in AZ. I had fun doing that when I took the class...

04-Jan-19
Coyote, PM sent

04-Jan-19

06-Jan-19
Any suggestions where to look around Payson tomorrow? Found quite a number of cows in 7w, 6a, and the 5’s, but no real bulls so far. Holy hey is there a ton of snow up by Pine and Strawberry. A couple feet in some areas !!! Nothing to be seen in 9 or 10 that I could find which surprised me ??

Cruising around in the snow on the back roads has been super cool, but my big lens is getting the itch to film something ??

Cheers, Pete

07-Jan-19
Sorry I didn't get a chance to formally wish you well Pete! I hope the glassing conditions improved. They sure sucked around Kingman Sunday AM.

07-Jan-19
Pete, look or the control road that cuts across from south of Strawberry east to Highway 260 The old Dude Fire burn will have elk but pretty rugged roads in there.

08-Jan-19
Nice to meet you Brian. Snowed on me all day up by 7w !!!

Thanks for the tip 2Points. Ended up on top Diamond Point early as the sun came up. Found some elk way down in west of there, but with a car buried half on the road halfway up and what looked like some serious frozen ruts from people getting stuck the day before, I chickened out and got off of there before it started to melt.

Looks like some super cool elk country I'm going to have to come visit again sometime soon. If anyone hasn't taken the AZ supplemental hunter ed class, it comes highly recommended. AZ in the winter is a pretty cool place, especially if it isn't snowing and raining big time :)

Cheers, Pete

08-Jan-19

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I think I broke the database editing pics so here they are again

08-Jan-19

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
What are these things? I always thought javalina were gray and kind of skinny. Are there feral pigs in unit 9 ???

08-Jan-19
Momma javelina with babies?

08-Jan-19
Feral hog is my guess. Swine have a tail, javelina doesn't have one like that at all.

08-Jan-19
As heat said, Javelina don't really have a tail. Surprised to see them there, you should have shot them!

08-Jan-19
I had my AR with me and should have shot them, but not being from around there and it being private property, I decided not to temp a $#!^ storm.

If anyone wants to go after them I'll tell you right were they are, but StickFlicker has first dibs :)

Cheers, Pete

09-Jan-19
If you are coming back North via 89a, Lee's Ferry, Cilff Dwellers, Vermillion Cliffs watch for D-Rams and some Gagger Muley's on the sage flats wintering range off the Kiabab.

There is fuel @ Jacob's Lake $$$$ before dropping down into Fredonia........

You're Having Fun Pete!

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear