ACB 04-Jan-19
smarba 07-Jan-19
painless 07-Jan-19
kscowboy 08-Jan-19
drycreek 08-Jan-19
robertwadera 09-Jan-19
delkslayr 21-Jan-19
03-Jan-19
I am preparing for an Aoudad hunt in west texas in a couple of weeks and am reaching out to see if anyone can tell me what an average dimension (height) of a ram's chest would be. It is a rifle hunt and I like to have a good idea of what the chest height is to help judge holdover height for longer shots. All I can find online is the height to the top of the shoulders. I know this is bowsite but this area I am hunting is a diy area with lower populations so chances with a bow would be almost impossible. I am guessing the chest would be approximately 18" tall but if anyone has any more experience, I would really appreciate it.

03-Jan-19
Aoudad, Barbary sheep. Body Length: 130-165 cm / 4.3-5.5 ft. Shoulder Height: 75-110 cm / 2.5-3.7 ft. Tail Length: 15-20 cm / 6-8 in

03-Jan-19
I’d say they are quite similar to a very large wt, but that does not give dimensions, sorry. I arrowed one last October that was supposedly 280 pounds.

03-Jan-19

ACB's embedded Photo
ACB's embedded Photo
Even though I see them ever day when I am home I will not be much help because I have never measured one , but my sense is they are deeper in chest than white tails .

04-Jan-19
Cross between a deer and a Bighorn. Deer size but thicker

04-Jan-19
Thanks for the replies guys. Painless, those are the dimensions I found online as well but that is to the top of the shoulders. If they stand 3'-3.5' tall, and their chest is 60% of that (based on pictures), that would say that their chest is around ~22-25". Call it 24" for a round number. Seem reasonable for a mature ram? Could be more like 18-20 for a smaller ram?

04-Jan-19
Yes I would say 24” for a mature ram .

07-Jan-19
I measured a 28" ram wall pedestal. Approximately 24" bottom of chest to top of hump/mane. But the big rams have a big hump on their shoulders plus the mane. The actual vitals are closer to 12" top to bottom.

07-Jan-19

painless's embedded Photo
painless's embedded Photo
It's relatively easy to make a life size target if you have access to a digital projector. Just find a good pic of a mature ram and project it onto a piece of cardboard. Adjust the projector until the projected image is the correct height, trace it onto the cardboard, and cut it out. Wallah it's even the same color as an aoudad!

Here is a pic I used to make a life size oryx target last year.

08-Jan-19
My father has a full-body mount. If I can remember tomorrow, I’ll put some tape on him for you.

08-Jan-19
All I know is they fugly and folks that supposedly know say they ain't fit to eat. Good luck on your hunt !

09-Jan-19
I have a similar issue. I will try your solution and see if it works

21-Jan-19

delkslayr's embedded Photo
delkslayr's embedded Photo
Thanks to all that replied. My buddy and were both able to successfully harvest two nice Aoudad rams. This is a picture of mine. He measured 27" horns but was exceptionally wide.

• Sitka Gear