GF 07-Jan-19
Ambush 07-Jan-19
GF 07-Jan-19
Twinetickler 07-Jan-19
SoDakSooner 08-Jan-19
REALWARRIOR 14-Jan-19
04-Jan-19

Velvet muley's Link
Speaking of the locked elk thread, check this one out. Hlappened here where I live some time back. It was a messed up deal.

04-Jan-19
I remember this fiasco.

04-Jan-19
That was the incident I thought of when I read the locked elk thread. Only incident I've ever heard of for that happening to elk, but I'm sure it's happened before and will again. Sad deal the rancher wouldn't let them separate them alive, but I guess he has his reasons which I don't agree with, but I don't raise cattle for a living either.

04-Jan-19
Dang Dirk, never knew there were elk in central Nebraska...

04-Jan-19
When I first read about this story I was thinking the rancher was more concerned with someone getting hurt or killed on his land. With the way of our court systems and everyone being sue happy I could see that as a ligit argument. Im happy to read they were allowed to retrieve the heads, im hoping that meant they were both pulled out of the water as to not contaminate it as they decomposed.

04-Jan-19
sounds like he was being over-run by elk and this was his way of protesting the limited tags available to address the issue maybe

04-Jan-19
The quality in dirks video link is surprising.......

I'm referring to the narrator..... those are good elk too.

04-Jan-19
Yes! Good one Beendare! Ha:)

04-Jan-19
The rancher wouldn't let the biologist in to try and save the two elk because he doest like the way the state manages elk. But he did let them in to salvage the elk after a two day slow and painful death so his pond wouldn't be contaminated. What a douche bag.

04-Jan-19
What a dic* hole

04-Jan-19
What a waste

06-Jan-19
Wow Dirk, thanks for sharing... Just don't seem right seen monster bulls out on flat plains like that... Would be tough bowhunting...

07-Jan-19
Makes me wonder because back when I owned acreage, I was told CO’s had the right to come on my land 24/7 without notice. They did this once that I remember. The CO just checked my permit. I was told CO’s had more rights than police. But I’m thinking what they can do varies by state?

07-Jan-19
"was told CO’s had the right to come on my land 24/7 without notice"... "was told CO’s had more rights than police"

Yeah, that was my understanding too...

07-Jan-19
Maybe it varies by state?

“Just don't seem right seen monster bulls out on flat plains like that... Would be tough bowhunting...”

Most people don’t realize that Elk evolved as a Plains species and only retreated into to mountains to escape the pressure as things got settled.

And the hunting would only be a lot tougher if the only way you know how to do it is to sit up in a tree. LOL

But you can’t compare modern ag land to native Elk habitat, which was Savannah

07-Jan-19
By the way....

What makes it “a waste” for these bulls to die that way? I’m not apathetic regarding the suffering, but it’s no more or less a “waste” when it’s big bulls vs. spikes, cows, goats, chickens....

07-Jan-19
Bet he wishes he had two landowner tags to sell on short notice!

07-Jan-19
Yeah, but critters die & rot every day. This is no less “noble” an and than being taken by a predator or hit by a train.

Just sometimes I get the sense that a lot of people think that an Elk’s (or deer’s) “Highest Purpose” is to end up on somebody’s wall...

And it ain’t.

(Not a poke at you, DD)

07-Jan-19
"A 400 point buck is considered a trophy" haha that made me laugh....that is what I would consider an ID10T error

08-Jan-19
This happened quite a few years ago in Wind Cave National park in SD. It was actually very well chronicled and there was quite an outrage that they didn't separate them. The park just left them alone as it was the natural order of things. After it was all said and done my brother was allowed to do a euro mount on the bulls locked together and they were displayed at the visitors center. (They may still be for all I know). Maybe 15 years ago or so.

14-Jan-19
I think calling the Landowner names without knowing the history of the disagreements with the DOW is uncalled for. Say for instance that the elk are wintering on his property and eating hay that he pays for to feed his cattle and he asks DOW to issue some tags to lessen the economic impact that the "State's Elk" cause him and they refuse, would he be justified in telling them to pack sand then? I guarantee if the elk would not have been visible to passers-by the DOW could not have cared less. Let me say it this way, If the landowner had called about them locked up in a remote pasture out of sight of the general public how quick do you think that the DOW would have been there? The bottom line is that without knowing the FULL story I'm not going to criticize a Tax paying Landowner's decision to stand his ground.

• Sitka Gear