International
Contributors to this thread:
StickFlicker 04-Jan-19
Buffalo1 04-Jan-19
Keith in colorado 08-Jan-19
Gregnjbh 08-Jan-19
04-Jan-19

StickFlicker's Link
Although they are only quoting one airline, baggage theft seems to be a very big problem across all airlines in the major airports like Tambo in South Africa. While you can't carry-on your bow, I try to put everything of significant value in my carry-on when I fly there. I would never check-in optics, cameras and the like (not to mention they are often not included in damage coverage offered by airlines when in your checked bags).

04-Jan-19
According to the attached article FlySafair is a South African low caliber airline that is experiencing the problem. I am wondering if the major airlines are experiencing the same issue? I did not experience this problem in Sept 2018, nor did I did hear any complaints from other hunters I was around experiencing this problem.

I know the year that RSA hosted the World Cup Soccer that baggage theft was a real issue and there was a black market theft ring running between Asia and RSA.

I also know that Tambo cleaned out a lot of the "rift raft" that was hanging around in the airport and pestering customers.

08-Jan-19
That airline was shutdown last year for several weeks due to safety issues. Stay with the big name carriers, keep your optics and electronics in your carry on, and use a travel agency. All these will help.

08-Jan-19
I spent a few hours with a PH from Africa this weekend and asked him about baggage theft issue. He said it is uncommon but highly recommended shrink wrapping luggage to deter any thief.

• Sitka Gear