Quinn @work 26-Jan-19
cnelk 26-Jan-19
Trial153 26-Jan-19
mick 26-Jan-19
Topgun 30-06 26-Jan-19
Topgun 30-06 26-Jan-19
05-Jan-19
'Morning All,

We got our Elk appl.'s done this early AM.

Pretty dang smooth application process.

As stated in W-Bob's thread No Points Option when applying this year, no option to choose With Point application.

Going for Gen Any Elk tag # 12 out of the last 13 years and we went 'Cheapie Fee' of course.

Thinking that this year will be the last year of 2 pts will be needed to draw Gen/cheapie as most prolly next year over 2 pts will be needed.

See Ya in Wyo this fall fellow Bow Hunters!!

Good luck, Robb

05-Jan-19
good luck

05-Jan-19
General tag as well here. I'll be one of those guys people look at in the draw odds and say WTF! I have 9 points but am party applying with a group that has 2-1 pointers and 1-5 pointer. Going in for the cheapie tag. The two single pointers are good Iowa buddies that want to host me for some Iowa whitetail hunting next year. I'd rather give up my points and have 2 fun hunts, with good friends, for average bulls and huge bucks, than be by myself for just good bulls.

05-Jan-19
The draw odds will show your groups average not your 9 points. Good plan on trading points for hunts. Hope you guys have a great year of bulls and bucks!

05-Jan-19
I always saw the guys with 8,9,10 points for the general draw and just figured they was in with a party draw. Wow they was really over pointed then haha.

05-Jan-19
Ol’ Cheapie Fee Robb, working the magic. Ya Gotta Believe!

05-Jan-19
Special General for me with a 1.5 party app average.

I just bought a new motorcycle and plunked down a deposit on a bear hunt so I won’t get my application in until the end of the month. Good luck guys and gals!

05-Jan-19
I also wait till the end of the month.

07-Jan-19
Sure, that is correct on the Group appl. that midwest stated.

This year for me and the dad and son coming into my Wyo Elk Camp from louisiana have 3 points each, I have 0, of course..... so if we go into the draw with 2 points in the cheapie draw pool.

We are hopeful to draw---------->

Have fun and be safe on that new Motorcycle Joe!

Early Bird gets the worm Iddy!! haha

Good luck, Robb

07-Jan-19
Sold a hunt plan over the weekend. Looks like I’ll be joining the early birds. Always feels good to get the application done.

07-Jan-19
I'm in for a Special general with 1 point. Hoping that's good enough...

07-Jan-19
Last year that gave you a 97% chance of drawing. That wasn’t enough for me with my 1 point! Good luck.

07-Jan-19
BULELK1 - Are you saying can't buy WY preference points this year?

07-Jan-19
I will need to draw from the random pool for an elk tag, burned my points last year. Going to pick up deer and lope points. I am dumping my sheep and moose points at 12, no more apps for either of those for me.

07-Jan-19
Zbone. This year you can only purchase wyo PP during the open point period. Nothing during the draw anymore.

07-Jan-19
10 points special license will see you in Area 7.

07-Jan-19
LUNG$HOT - I went online, but they didn't give PP open period dates ... Just wanted to make sure they were still being offered (used to be like from July - Sept) for didn't want to loose my accumulated points...

07-Jan-19
July to October Z

07-Jan-19
I drew a general tag in my first try ever in 2017 no points. I take it that was a longshot. I'm applying again this year

08-Jan-19
Yeh Zbone------------->

There is No-- With Point option when ya apply.

Like stated for ya above, July ~~ October to get your point

Good luck, Robb

08-Jan-19
Hillbender you drew in the random draw. Not based on points and everyone has at least some chance but you better go to church every Sunday if you hope to hunt. Good luck!

Take the trip of a lifetime every year! :-)

08-Jan-19
Gonna have to figure out a strategy for Wyoming elk... One under max and thinking it might be the year to burn them.

08-Jan-19
Why Treeline next year you’ll have more points than everyone else. Lol

08-Jan-19
Point again for me this year then going to burn them next year.

08-Jan-19
Thanks for the PP clarification guys...

08-Jan-19
Wife and I both have 4, however we are moving to WY this spring, so after living there for a year, we become "residents" does that mean we don't use points any longer?

If so, I will figure out how to burn them somewhere near where we will live (buffalo).

08-Jan-19
You’ll most likely be a non-res this year as it’s typically 6 months after move to gain residency status.

08-Jan-19
Bob H, it'll take you one year to become a Wyoming resident. Residents currently don't have pp, but there is another bill being introduced to adopt pp for residents. This bill has failed in the past so stay tuned........................................

08-Jan-19
Bob H, you are correct. A preference point system for residents does not exist for elk, deer, or antelope, so you will definitely want to burn them this year or they will go "poof".

As far as gaining residency in WY for hunting and fishing purposes, you must be domiciled and physically reside here for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date you apply for, or purchase, any resident license. There are a few exceptions, such as active duty military.

EDIT: Jason was quicker on the "Submit" button than I was. ;-)

08-Jan-19
4 points here, and applying for the special draw

08-Jan-19
So assuming we move April 1, that means for 2019 we are NR, that is clear. Then again in 2020 since application period is January, we wouldn't have hit the 1 year boundary, so for elk we are NR, but would we then be 2020 resident for deer/pronghorn since those applications go in May? I can see that setting off some flags in the system!

I think we will burn one of our set of points this year, the other gets a cow tag, then flip it for 2020.

Can't wait, this is going to be fun!

08-Jan-19
You will be a resident by the end of 2020’s resident application period. The non resident deadline may be in May next year as well. I would burn them both this year, and at the very least you’ll be hunting on a general tag you can buy over the counter next year.

08-Jan-19
4 + $pecial. May bump into you in the hills near Buffalo this fall.

08-Jan-19
Bob H, the elk application deadline of 31 Jan 2019 is for nonresidents only. The deadline for residents is 31 May, same as deer and antelope. As KB points out, the deadline for nonresidents will most likely change to 31 May as well, starting in 2020.

If you move to WY this April, you will be a resident before the end of the application period in 2020, so you'll apply as a resident.

Be aware that the application period is for limited quota licenses only. As a resident, you can walk into a Walmart any time after the first part of July and buy a general elk license over the counter.

08-Jan-19
You guys just made my day! (As my wife tells me, I'm not hard to keep happy)

My ultimate dream/goal is calling in a bull for her to shoot with her bow! She's proven deadly with her 7-08, has one whitetail doe to her credit with her bow! In NH we don't get a chance every year, so they are few and far between, hoping for much more success, and fun, in Wyoming!

09-Jan-19
Hey Bob--------->

No doubt stated Above, use your points for a unit around your new home area.

Plus, 2-3 years ago they past some law in Wyoming, that if someone moved to Wyoming they could not have more points than the current ressy max point level, so with no ressy point pool on elk, deer or antelope, burn before ya become a ressy my friend.

Good luck Robb

PS~~ maybe Topgun or W-Bob kept the link about the non-ressy moving link??

09-Jan-19
Robb, I don’t know what you’re referring to? Wyoming has never had a resident preference point system for elk, deer, or antelope.

09-Jan-19
I believe the conversation was about Sheep, where a nr moving into WY was going to potentially have max points if converted to res points, and said nr was then going to move back after the hunt.

10-Jan-19
Okay thanks for the info

Have fun on your move to Wyoming Bob H

Good luck, Robb

10-Jan-19
Was looking at units to draw with 4 points and came across "general" tag, what's that? Looks like I can get that, they didn't have units with them?

10-Jan-19
Burning max for elk this year.

10-Jan-19
Bob you can draw the regular($724.68 total) general tag with 4 points. The general tag is a combination of probably 30 units spread across the state. Most of the general unit licenses you can add an archery tag to and hunt from Sept 1st to the 30th but you will need to check each units dates as they do vary. Many different types of units to fit whatever terrain you prefer to hunt in. From the rugged Northwest corner to very mild terrain of central and eastern Wy. Also with 4 points you can draw a few units in the Big Horns with a type 9 tag and 6-8 units in the Yellowstone area......if ya want to hunt with the big bears. Lots and lots of good choices. If your gonna move to Wyoming might want to hunt somewhere close to home to start learning the area now?

10-Jan-19
Bob, General tag is what you can get as a resident every year, over the counter.

10-Jan-19
we definitely want to hunt near buffalo and start learning the area! That's low/mid 30's for elk areas. We can get cow tags, which may be fine, just a shame to waste the points.

I'll keep doing research.

What's the general tag for non-resident cost?

10-Jan-19
Same as any other full price elk license. Check out the Wyoming G&F website’s Hunting Section. You’ll find the answer to all this and much more.

10-Jan-19
"What's the general tag for non-resident cost?" $724.68 with habitat stamp and 2.5% fee.

11-Jan-19
Last count we had 54 different Units to hunt with a General Any Elk tag.

For sure go 'cheapie fee' application with your 4 points on a General Any elk tag.

Goo luck, Robb

11-Jan-19

Mule Power's Link
License fees

13-Jan-19
Tomorrow

13-Jan-19
Does the lucky guy who draws the Super Tag get to keep any tags he draws for the same species?

14-Jan-19
Is it 25% tags go none resident random draw in special draw unit? As I have zero points, can I apply for elk special draw unit to get one chance of lucky random draw?

14-Jan-19
75/25, everybody goes thru the pp side then the random side.

25-Jan-19
$1315 sent to the WGF

25-Jan-19
Same here. Couldn't put it off any longer.

25-Jan-19
It's my Sunday project, might as well do AZ while I am at it.

25-Jan-19
I'll part with my hard earned $57 at Walmart in August. Ok, I'll admit I'm an a-hole, but I couldn't resist. ;-)

25-Jan-19
Already did mine, gotta time it just right.

25-Jan-19
This weekend for sure. Butterflies....

25-Jan-19
Lol @ Rob...Rub it in pal!

25-Jan-19
From: Native Okie 08-Jan-19 You’ll most likely be a non-res this year as it’s typically 6 months after move to gain residency status.

INCORRECT---Wyoming requires that you establish residency for a full year before you can even apply for a resident license, PPs, etc. in case some missed it.

25-Jan-19
Thanks. That’s already been stated on the thread if you would have read it.

25-Jan-19
From: Jason Stafford 08-Jan-19 Bob H, it'll take you one year to become a Wyoming resident. Residents currently don't have pp, but there is another bill being introduced to adopt pp for residents. This bill has failed in the past so stay tuned........................................

***The Bill died in Committee this week when it failed to get a second to bring it to a vote!

25-Jan-19
The Wyoming Application Police are out in force tonight

25-Jan-19
From: WapitiBob 09-Jan-19 I believe the conversation was about Sheep, where a nr moving into WY was going to potentially have max points if converted to res points, and said nr was then going to move back after the hunt.

Yes, for sheep along with moose you keep your points when you move to Wyoming and can continue to build them as a resident. As long as you keep buying them you can move in and out of Wyoming and use them one year as a resident if you've been there more than a year before you apply or as a NR if you aren't back for a full year. That's how my buddy ended up getting his moose tag as a resident because he was back and forth in and out of Wyoming several times over 14 years due to his job with Marathon Oil and was back fro several years before he drew in 2016. Wyoming is like Utah in that you can't move there just for the purpose of drawing a resident tag and then move right back to your previous residence after drawing the tag. That's why Utah nailed the AZ outfitter when he took his max PPs and supposedly moved to Utah and as soon as he drew the tag applying as a resident that year he moved right back to AZ even before his hunt when he returned and shot a big desert Ram. Wyoming has that same requirement and I believe that's been in the residency requirements for quite a few years.

25-Jan-19
From: cnelk 25-Jan-19 The Wyoming Application Police are out in force tonight

***Just trying to help others that don't know the ins and outs of Wyoming like Bob and I do if you're referring to me.

26-Jan-19
"Wyoming is like Utah in that you can't move there just for the purpose of drawing a resident tag and then move right back to your previous residence after drawing the tag."

BTW This is not why the person from AZ got charged. You should read the court documents.

Yes someone can move to WY for the purpose of drawing the tag as long as they fulfill the residency requirements prior to applying for the tag. That person could move from WY after drawing the tag and still be legal as long as they didn't claim residency in another state.

Semantic's? Yes. But you seem to always be policing everything everyone says here about WY so I thought I'd correct you on your false statement above.

26-Jan-19
When it comes to knowing the in & outs of Wyoming, WapitiBob and Topgun 30-06 shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence.

26-Jan-19
^ you were overly kind.

26-Jan-19
If WY is going to charge 2.5% fee on credit cards charges. Are they still going to have nonres. send in full payment on the bison app. (well over 4 grand)? If so that would be over $110 lost out of one`s pocket book, with no points system in play. That in my opinion is out of line if full payment is to charged just to apply.

26-Jan-19
From: Quinn @work 26-Jan-19. Semantic's? Yes. But you seem to always be policing everything everyone says here about WY so I thought I'd correct you on your false statement above.

***Semantics, LOL! You had better go into the statute and read ALL the requirements to be considered a resident for G&F licenses because it's just as I said. You can't move there just for the purpose of drawing a tag and then leave because you lose residency status in Wyoming if you aren't domiciled there and then live there for at least 185 days a year. There are certain exceptions like military personnel and college students and those are spelled out. I know exactly why Larry Altimus was prosecuted in Utah and it was essentially for the same type of violation because the only reason he moved there from AZ was to use his max PPs that took him to the top over residents to get the sheep tag. He was really stupid by at least not staying there until after the hunt, but moved right back to AZ and the returned months later to kill that sheep. THat made it even easier for the jury to render a guilty decision. Refer to § 23-1-107 and WGFC Regulation Chapter 44 for detailed requirements). Here is a quick synoposis and please make sure to read the last sentence because that was why Altimus got nailed in Utah that has that same requirement as Wyoming! What is Domicile? Domicile means: "That place where a person has his true, fixed and permanent home to which, whenever a person is temporarily absent, the person has the intention of returning."

Having a mailing address, owning property or a business, or being employed in Wyoming shall not alone prove Wyoming residency or domicile.

Domicile is established when the person demonstrates that he or she:

• Physically resides in Wyoming • Has abandoned domicile in other states • Has made his or her permanent residence in Wyoming • Is not residing in Wyoming for a special or temporary purpose

26-Jan-19
From: mick 26-Jan-19If WY is going to charge 2.5% fee on credit cards charges. Are they still going to have nonres. send in full payment on the bison app. (well over 4 grand)? If so that would be over $110 lost out of one`s pocket book, with no points system in play. That in my opinion is out of line if full payment is to charged just to apply.

***Yep, I agree with your comment, but Bison is the same as the other species requiring the full price plus the $15 application fee when you apply for the tag.

• Sitka Gear