MQQSE 10-Feb-19
Ursman 10-Feb-19
leftee 10-Feb-19
Boreal 10-Feb-19
Tlhbow 10-Feb-19
TrapperKayak 11-Feb-19
N-idaho 11-Feb-19
07-Jan-19
Watched Jim Shockley last night. He made a quick shot on a charging cougar at about 10 feet. The cougar was emaciated probably looking for a meal. That would have been a bad situation for someone unarmed

07-Jan-19
Yeah, I happened to see it too... At the end of the show said the suspected reason of being emaciated was due to wounds likely received from another cat...

07-Jan-19
Zbone, you know darn well that animals don't do that to each other and that is pro hunting propaganda!

Obviously a fat, lazy trophy hunter wounded that beautiful, innocent creature just so he could get a chubby.

07-Jan-19
That’s part of the lifestyle when your a roughed handsome celebrity, cougars trying to get there claws in ya.

07-Jan-19
I was curious what they saw to make them get out of the truck in the first place. Was it the cougar or a bear?

07-Jan-19
Quick shot ...charging cougar...right in the face. Interesting.

07-Jan-19
Aubs8, I was watching as well. Jim saw it. Shouted cougar and jumped out. CRAZY!!!

07-Jan-19
It was a shockling video, that's for sure!

07-Jan-19
Huntcell...lmao...

The shocking thing is that it’s even being discussed.

07-Jan-19
BTM, I see what you did there.

07-Jan-19
Wow... anyone remember Barry Wensel doing the same thing with his bow... It was doing a slow crawl at him getting ready to pounce and he put an arrow under its chin at very close range

09-Jan-19
If you watch that video, its pretty clear the mntn lion had a broken front and rear leg. The thing was in a real bad way and obviously starving.

They never mention the back leg but you can clearly see it. They say it was wounded in a fight but I was wondering if it was hit by a car.

09-Jan-19
Does anyone have a link to it? I tried youtube - not there. Thanks.

09-Jan-19
It's probably a good thing it had a bad leg because any cougar at that close of a range would have been on you before you even knew what happened. It was obvious from the video it slowed him down a bit.

09-Jan-19
BTM... ha ha! Good one.

09-Jan-19
I haven’t seen the video, so let me get this straight...

They JUST HAPPENED to be driving along with the cameras rolling when Our Hero spots a Cougar by the side of the road, screeches to an ABS- controlled halt, leaps out of the vehicle and guns down the charging car.

OK.

Now, see... Barry Wensel was calling Elk, and made what was most likely a mistake (perhaps an unavoidable one) by allowing the cat to get so close (before he stood up to holler at it) that it was too committed to the attack to register that the Elk it was stalking had turned into a human. To the cat, it probably looked like a bedded Elk jumping up to escape.

I’m not saying that I know that the Shockey incident was staged to turn the act of Humanely putting down a mortally injured animal into an action-packed sequence that would be sure to get chat rooms buzzing and help drive up the ratings... but I sure would not be, dare I say it, SHOCKED to find out that it was.

But then I lost all respect for him 30 years ago when he completely dismissed the roundball as a suitable bullet for hunting.

09-Jan-19
Here is what I found, as stated from Shockey:

Jim Shockey

June 15, 2018 · ...

This will be a long one.

First off, I apologize for not posting more pictures lately on Facebook and Instagram, we have been a little busy with the June 20, 2018 grand opening of our “Hand of Man” museum of Natural History, Cultural Arts and Conservation www.handofman.org The website is now live. Hopefully everyone reading this will make the journey to Vancouver Island for a visit. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Now for the real reason for this post.

I want to thank everyone who has been calling and emailing me to find out if I am ok after the cougar attack. Yes I am fine. It was a very close call, too close actually, but thankfully for my cameraman Taylor Smith and me, it was the cougar that ended up being dinner, not us.

In case you have not heard about the attack, it happened just a few days ago, while I was out hunting black bear in our Vancouver Island outfitting territory. Taylor and I were returning to camp in the mid afternoon, when a cougar crossed the little used logging road in front of us. Here on Vancouver Island, the regulations allow for two cougars to be taken per hunter per year and the season runs nearly year round. Only the summer months are off limits. I always carry two valid cougar tags and this last spring season we have seen more cougars than anytime since the late 1990’s, when we had a similar spate of cougar sightings and several documented attacks on humans.

Taylor and I continued walking towards where the cougar crossed the logging road and as we passed the spot where it crossed, it attacked us from behind. It had obviously crouched down and hid in the thick undergrowth beside the road and waited for us. I whirled and shot from the hip, disabling the big male cougar as it leapt at me. Taylor captured the attack on camera and you are looking at a video screen grab from an instant after I fired.

An examination of the full grown male cougar showed that it was emaciated, starving, which probably was the reason for the attack. There was a single hole through the paw, which could have been a bite from another cougar, or could have been my Nosler bullet passing through the cougar’s paw, shoulder and back hip. When the cougar crossed the road, it did not seem to be limping.

Hunger was likely the motivation for the cougar attacking me. The bigger question is why was this mature male cat starving? That question will have to be left to the biologists to determine officially, but my “feet on the ground” opinion is pretty simple and logical. There are too many wolves and those too many wolves, as they have done in Saskatchewan and many other places, have eaten most of the deer. They run the roads, roads that we humans made, which essentially gives them “uber” wolf predation powers. The effect of too many predators is never pretty. All predators, like this poor cougar, will starve.

It’s the Law of Unintended Consequences. Sadly our human hearts are often in the right place, but reality is reality. All animal populations need to be managed. Wild or domestic.

Sorry but I have to add one more thing, a bit of a soapbox speech that you can feel free to ignore. It’s my “feet on the ground” greater concern. A cougar starving and attacking a human is one thing...but a starving grizzly bear is another matter. Grizzly bear hunting was banned in British Columbia recently, for 100% political reasons against sound scientific wildlife management advice. Biologists have monitored Grizzly bears have proven that a single grizzly bear will kill and eat up to 30 new born calf caribou and moose every spring during the birthing season. Here in British Columbia, the health of the large ungulate population is already of concern, so it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to predict the future. Grizzlies here in British Columbia, like the wolves here on Vancouver Island, will soon eat themselves out of house and home...and when they have eaten all the baby caribou, moose, elk and deer as they are being born...what (who) do you think they will look upon as dinner next?

Mark these words. Doom and gloom aside and to end on a lighter note, I guess if there is a bright side to this unfortunate event, it’s that even at 60-years of age...cougars are still attracted to me!!

09-Jan-19
GF might want to see the video before judging the situation

09-Jan-19
lol some guys

09-Jan-19
The only reason Barry Wensel was able to make that shot, was from his years of practice by blunting caribou!

10-Jan-19
Now he says he doesn't know if it was wounded before??? - "There was a single hole through the paw, which could have been a bite from another cougar, or could have been my Nosler bullet passing through the cougar’s paw, shoulder and back hip." … (Notice he also had to get a plug in for his sponsor)… But anyhow, don't really know what to believe, but I'm with Shaft2Long and woodsman, it looked wounded to me before the attack, but have since deleted the video to re-review... Another thing, he said it was a "big" male... I understand it was skinny, but from nose to tip of tail and skull, that cat didn't look that big to me...

10-Jan-19
"even at 60-years of age...cougars are still attracted to me!!"

LMAO, James!

10-Jan-19
See, there's your problem - Nosler doesn't pay Shockey to sell roundballs...

Nope, haven't seen the video, but it's not my fault that it isn't (apparently) available to all on YouTube..

But from Shockey's account...

" Taylor and I were returning to camp in the mid afternoon, when a cougar crossed the little used logging road in front of us... "Taylor and I continued walking towards where the cougar crossed the logging road and as we passed the spot where it crossed, it attacked us from behind. It had obviously crouched down and hid in the thick undergrowth beside the road and waited for us. "

Is it common to be able to bag a cougar by following it on foot, without dogs, and carrying only a handgun???

I wouldn't think that'd be a productive technique...

But that's not Jimbo's message - he wants us all to know that Wolves are turning Cougars into man-eaters, and Grizzlies are next. Then when all the deer, Elk, moose and 'bou are gone, the wolves will turn to humans as a primary food source.

Or maybe he's just a guide whose bookings are down because word is out that the wolves have made the hunting harder than it used to be...

10-Jan-19
There's a reason more guys shoot recurves than roundballs. Hunting of the cougar was clearly opportunistic. Same deal as when you're in a deer stand and a coyote walks by. He didn't claim he was on foot hunting cougars. He wasn't "following a cougar on foot to bag it with a handgun: he shot it with a rifle, not that that matters. Clearly explained what happened. Everyone else gets it. First you claim it's a setup, now you're not happy with his message of not being able to hunt predators - what is it? Not sure what your axe to grind here is...

10-Jan-19
I watched the show. Camera was rolling, Jim was talking and eating as they were driving down the logging road. He about chokes on his veggies and yell-whispers "cougar!". Fire drill ensues as they try to get out of truck quietly. As they're easing down the road the cat makes a half assed attempt at a charge from behind but didnt make it too far. A healthy cat would have made mince meat out of Ol' Jim.

10-Jan-19
OK, so it was a rifle. Good enough. Thanks for the play-by-play, Fuzz. (Veggies?? Panty-waist!!)

Still seems like an unlikely way to hunt down a cougar that you saw crossing a road.

@Adam - I'm not going to go out of my way to lock horns with you because I think you're a good egg, but I can't let this one slide:

"There's a reason more guys shoot recurves than roundballs."

#1 - You have a credible source for that?

#2 - OK, I'll bite. What is it?

'Cuz it's not the accuracy (which is superb) and it's not the on-game performance (which is devastating, yet results in a trivial amount of bloodshot meat). Much more likely it's the severe shortage of quality, affordable roundball rifles and the fact that ML seasons are short and frequently held AFTER a couple months of archery AND THEN firearms seasons...

So... No particular axe to grind, but I've learned to be extremely skeptical of All Things Shockey...

10-Jan-19
Having spent sometime hunting lions and accompanying a predator trapper who specialized in lions let me throw in the obvious. A lion is not going to be staged. He is going to lay up either to attack or hide. Otherwise he will disappear and gain distance. You can’t train a house cat let alone a wild lion. Second, I don’t think a foot being wounded would hold a lion in place unless he wanted it too If he was laying in wait he had a plan. Otherwise he would have put as much distance between himself and the threat as he could. Many years ago we ran a sheep killer for a long run. She was high up in a tree and after putting an arrow thru her I was shocked that she was missing a foot. Just dried bone sticking out. No problem running, climbing cliffs, climbing trees or killing sheep. I do see a sick or starving lion doing this. I think Jim was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Having spent time with them, I see no way to stage a lion.

10-Jan-19
Allen - Don't think anybody was saying it was staged, and agree it was either lying in wait or to hide, and had it been healthy it likely would have been out of there... The thing I wonder how was it wounded and how badly, like a broken leg...

10-Jan-19
Might want to read CF ‘s earlier post. I believe he used the word staged

10-Jan-19
Point taken Gary. I did read “staged” but I meant the term more loosely. My feeling if he was strong enough to charge he was strong enough to run away. He made the choice. Now that being said I have not seen the video. I could make a better assessment of the intentions then. But I will say he was in predator mode or feeling pressured and backed in a corner. If he attacked from the side or back with Jim’s eyes looking forward I would say predator. If head on pressured. Either way they are lucky someone like Jim was on the gun. Even if the lion was weak. People have no idea how strong a 75 lb lion is. I love these animals. Truth is I would as soon cut a lion track as kill an 8 point buck. They are awesome creatures.

10-Jan-19
"if he was strong enough to charge he was strong enough to run away"

Yeah, my thoughts too, except if wounded was hiding but felt threatened once they came too close... They were in stalking mode along a gravel road and were actually a couple steps past the cat when it pounced from behind... They seen and knew it was there and ready... Had they not known it was there and just been walking down the road, the outcome may have been different...

11-Jan-19
I had a friend watch the pick up in front of him hit a big Colorado cougar. It was snarling and pulled itself into the sage brush off the road. Neither the driver that hit him or my friend even considered following that injured angry cat into the brush. And it probably had a severe spinal injury from the description he gave.

12-Jan-19
I watched it a couple times and my gut told me something was not right with that cougar immediately by the slow speed, a hobbling charge and favoring his left front paw. Nothing close to how a healthy cat would have attacked. From the combination of its prior wounds, immaciated state, any number of post traumatic and deabilitating complications that lion in survival mode tried to hide rather than run and reacted to the stalking duo instinctively. Which obviously turned out bad for that cat. Nothing here surprises me and I feel they did that very sick cat a favor by putting more nosler holes in it. I’m sure even in that sad state a 75 lb adult cougar pumping adrenaline could do some nasty things to someone up close.

12-Jan-19
Does anybody have a link to the video, i can’t seem to find it

12-Jan-19
Not sure why he had to say Nosler especially since he thinks it was a bite wound.

12-Jan-19
I always thought Shockey seemed like quite the gentleman and family man. He is also seems like a great ambassadeur to the hunting industry. Why all the pack mentality and animosity? If someone finds fault with Jim Shockey, I would hate to have them on my jury!

13-Jan-19
Someone post the link please or just tell where your watching it

13-Jan-19
It’s on the outdoor channel

13-Jan-19
Trying to make something out of nothing. Internet bashers.

10-Feb-19
Real men strangle them to death...8^)))

10-Feb-19
I’m going to hold off on any bashing until I find out what make of truck he was in.

10-Feb-19
GF, a taxidermist friend of mine had a big coffee can 20 plus years ago, filled with roundballs taken from elk that others had killed with bow, rifle and muzzleloaders that were not shooting round balls. Experience here is that they are not that effective. It was a big coffee can, full......

10-Feb-19
I had a muzzleloader that shot .58 cal round balls. It wasn't a bad choice if you ran out of rocks to throw. It was more useful as a jack handle.

10-Feb-19
Jim Shockey just received the 2018 Weatherby Award a month ago based on his lifetime accomplishments and contributions to the hunting world. (Google it).

And the naysayer?

10-Feb-19
He is a quality person and a great ambassador for hunting and conservation.

10-Feb-19
Where is the link?

10-Feb-19
GF.Yourself.

10-Feb-19
LOL @ leftee!

10-Feb-19
I haven't seen the video , just reading the thread above from Jim . I'm guessing the cat was injured by a car . I had a similar thing happen involving a bobcat .

Heading home from a evening dove hunt in the mid nineties , something blurred across the shale road in front of my truck. Looked like it was sliding into the Johnson grass covered bar ditch the last I seen it. I slammed on the brakes and had my 870 beside me and run out in the grass after it. I started down the ditch and it started growling as it come after me clanking it's teeth on the barrel of my gun as I was backing up . I could barely make it out and grabbed it behind the head with one hand jerking it up and grabbing it somewhere mid back. It raised all kinds of hell. Not sure why I did this but not usual for me at the time. I was in my work truck and managed to put it in the large tool Box and take it home . Made a noose on a broom handle to get it out and put in in the kennel at home ,then call a vet out for recommendations . He said put it down . I didn't and it died about a week later. It could walk but it's back end would fall over. Back broke I guess . Morales of the story is it couldn't get away very good so jumped at my when I got too close .

11-Feb-19
Jim Shockey just received the 2018 Weatherby Award a month ago based on his lifetime accomplishments and contributions to the hunting world. (Google it). And the naysayer? There is always some/many AH desk jockey full of envy - can't achieve their own success in an outdoors career so they slam the one who does. Pathetic.

11-Feb-19
Pretty well sums it it up trapper kayak. People are envious of success.

• Sitka Gear