IdyllwildArcher 09-Sep-19
gmail login 03-Nov-19
vananh01 03-Nov-19
IdyllwildArcher 03-Nov-19
Jaquomo 03-Nov-19
midwest 04-Nov-19
elkstabber 04-Nov-19
08-Jan-19
I wonder why my favorite unit takes a couple points to hunt archery season but is OTC for rifle. Seems like it would be the other way around

08-Jan-19
So those dang bowhunters don't drive all the elk on to private before the gun season!

08-Jan-19
Back in the 90’s the rifle hunters were complaining that the bowhunters were running all the elk down onto private land before they could get a chance to kill them.

So the DOW said they would limit archery hunters in those units for a five year study to see if there actually was any impact.

Never have heard how the “study” went. Those units are still draw for archery and OTC unlimited for rifle hunts.

08-Jan-19
Ah I am simple-minded I was looking for a biological reason. Thanks for the info it does make sense but it is disappointing. Dang bowhunters

08-Jan-19
Pretty sure I read that they determined from collared elk that there was a significant migration down to private shortly after archery season started.

In large parts of units 6-16-17-171 this has been happening for years and there's no study needed. You can sit on high points and watch herds of elk moving down onto the big ranches during the first week of archery. Sometimes across miles of open sage. I can't believe they haven't limited archery in those units, but they're really popular with NRs and we all know the CPW loves nonre$ident$.

08-Jan-19
It's all them bowhunters that don't manscape........

08-Jan-19
Seems like hunters would just hide down there on the miles of open sage during the first week of archery season, where this mass migration is visible with the naked eye, and pick them off.

If you can find it, it would be interesting to see this collared elk study to evaluate items like "significant migration," and the possibility of other factors contributing to alleged unusual elk movement.

Also, it would be interesting to know how much of the decision to go draw vs. OTC was due to a myth that the pesky archery hunters, sneaking around and making no noise, were causing mass migration, preventing rifle hunters from slaughtering a significant number of elk before they could descend on "the big ranches." And, if that did occur, have the numbers changed now, so that it is no longer necessary to have an archery draw? Or is that all too esoteric? Serious; I know they have a budget.

08-Jan-19
Don’t rifle hunters scare them too?

08-Jan-19
Ambush, No, elk are attracted to orange.

08-Jan-19
Rifle seasons are stacked almost back to back. Other than maybe more private land pressure during rifle it certainly should be worse.

It certainly happens in some areas during archery especially since bowhunters have doubled.

The problem with limiting units is then they go to the resident nonresident split which can mean less nonresidents get tags. May sound good if you are a resident but not if you are the CPW and always hunting revenue.

08-Jan-19
Maybe they should have rifle season on private land in September to invert the pressure and drive the elk to public land during the public land archery season. Then cap it off with a public land rifle season after archery season is over.

Of course all the private landowners/outfitters will say that won't work because the elk don't come down that early............

08-Jan-19
"Maybe they should have rifle season on private land in September to invert the pressure and drive the elk to public land during the public land archery season. "

This is already in place, [PLO Rifle Cow season] but to little or no effect.

08-Jan-19
One of the spots I hunt I count on bowhunter pressure to push the elk past me on the way to a ranch a few miles away. Seems to work pretty well.

If you go back to that spot towards the end of season forget about seeing anything.

08-Jan-19
Ok, boys; all we have to do is get down by a ranch fence and wait for the stampede. Look at this guy, here with the satire. Good job, Ghost. Yea, not enough weather yet.

09-Jan-19
I hope this will be useful for many people and i am waiting for your next post keep on updating these kinds of knowledgeable things impossible game

09-Sep-19
The elk we hunted last week were already on private before we got there....lol

Between the bears, blowdowns and the heat it was pure torture.

09-Sep-19
Ronn91..... I read your other post. Is that you TBM?

09-Sep-19
Elk being pushed off public early in archery season is no joke in the units Jaq mentioned.

09-Sep-19
It happens all over in multiple states.

If it weren't for the archery crowd, the rifle hunters would push them there.

The answer is for the ranches to open up hunting, but they're really only incentivized to grow mature bulls and either outfit or lease to outfitters.

03-Nov-19

gmail login's Link
Thanks for Nice and Informative Post. This article is really contains lot more information about This Topic.gmail login

03-Nov-19

vananh01's embedded Photo
flower
vananh01's embedded Photo
flower

vananh01's Link
Thanks for Nice and Informative Post. This article is really contains lot more information about This Topic gmail sign up

03-Nov-19
You're welcome.

03-Nov-19
I signed up. Now where's my free gift, vananho?

04-Nov-19
Awesome food plot, vananho!

04-Nov-19
Did somebody bloodtrail a deer through the yellow flowers?

• Sitka Gear